What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you spell "Respect"? (1 Viewer)

Rayderr

Footballguy
Obama can't.

Obama tries to show some R-E-S-P-E-C-TWashington (CNN) - President Obama celebrated the music that shaped "our American story" with some of the biggest female music legends Thursday night at the White House but came up a little lacking when he tried to show his R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

The White House welcomed the performances by American musical icons Aretha Franklin, Melissa Etheridge, and Patti Labelle as well as contemporary female artists Ariana Grande, Janelle Monae, and Jill Scott.

While the President was paying tribute to Aretha Franklin, he had a hard timing with the spelling of a word famously spelled out in one of her best known songs.

"When Aretha first told us what R-S-P-E-C-T meant to her, she had no idea it would become a rallying cry for African Americans, and women, and then everyone who felt marginalized because of what they looked like or who they loved," Obama said to chuckles from the audience.

The spelling error did not bring down the energy of the night as Patti LaBelle kicked off the performances with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," bringing the President and First Lady to their feet.

The "Women of Soul" event was part of the "In Performance at the White House" series that has honored the likes of Stevie Wonder, Sir Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

Let's just hope that if the President ever welcomes the Village People that he practices his Y-M-C-A.

Not an Obama fan but this is goofy. Thank god my every move and word is not recorded. I would look like an even bigger idiot.

Not an Obama fan but this is goofy. Thank god my every move and word is not recorded. I would look like an even bigger idiot.
I agree. But that didn't stop many from doing the same thing during Bush's days. Hell, Dan Quayle's "Potatoe" from 22 years ago has been brought up twice already.

I agree. But that didn't stop many from doing the same thing during Bush's days. Hell, Dan Quayle's "Potatoe" from 22 years ago has been brought up twice already.
It was during a spelling bee. And he was correcting a kid who spelled it right.

It seems to me that Aretha has been spelling it right over and over again for years.

It seems to me that Aretha has been spelling it right over and over again for years.
I don't believe Obama told her she was wrong and tried to correct her.

She's fat...

She's fat...
How about a little rspect, man?

I don't believe Obama told her she was wrong and tried to correct her.
I believe the President was passive-aggressively correcting her "error" ;)

I don't think this is a big deal since Obama is perceived as being intelligent. However, had this been Sarah Palin in the same spot, much more would be made out of it. Context.

Not that anyone really believes that O actually spells it rspect...

I don't think this is a big deal since Obama is perceived as being intelligent. However, had this been Sarah Palin in the same spot, much more would be made out of it. Context.
It would be great to finally have something that makes Sara Palin look like an idiot.

Wait. He misspoke? Now I really hate him.

Probably gave the extra "e" to some poor family who needed it more. Thanks a lot, Obama. :hot:

Probably gave the extra "e" to some poor family who needed it more. Thanks a lot, Obama. :hot:
That's an excellent point. After all, RESPECT does have 2 E's, which is more than enough. Not to mention that is not very fair to those other words that don't have any E's at all... the most commonly used letter in the alphabet.

That's an excellent point. After all, RESPECT does have 2 E's, which is more than enough. Not to mention that is not very fair to those other words that don't have any E's at all... the most commonly used letter in the alphabet.
OMG, hope he never makes it to Tnse or Mispe

R-E-S-Z-C-P, Find out what you mean to me. R-E-C-C-T-T-P

You know how to spell it!

This is even funnier...did not know this until now

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/nyregion/politics-how-do-you-spell-regret-one-man-s-take-on-it.html

Young Mr. Figueroa spelled ''potato'' correctly on the blackboard, only to have Vice President Quayle, holding a flash card with the word spelled incorrectly, encourage him to add an ''e'' at the end.With that, Mr. Quayle, Mayor Douglas Palmer of Trenton and the three or four other adults in the room began clapping. Mr. Figueroa returned to his seat, embarrassed and confused.
kind of hilarious that so many supposedly educated people were not even aware of the error. Imagine if this had happened in the deep south....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread