What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carlos Pena (1 Viewer)

He's a late bloomer. At one time Pena was one of the most hyped prospects ever, and he might be living up to that hype now. Those dismissing him as a fluke could have egg on their face very soon.

I don't expect 46 HRs again, but I think he'll provide decent production at 1B this year. The worst case is that he'll regress in AVG enough to get dropped lower in the batting order.

He's a late bloomer. At one time Pena was one of the most hyped prospects ever, and he might be living up to that hype now. Those dismissing him as a fluke could have egg on their face very soon.
:wolf: What? No he wasnt. He was ranked in the top 100 prospects 3 times, highest being #5 but that doesnt make him one of the most hyped ever.

Not that spring is a great indicator, but he's been tearing the cover off the ball all March.

I wouldn't count on 46 homers again, but 35 with a decent to above average OBP should be expected.

when in detroit the dude was the classic hit when it doesnt matter player.

Up 5-0, Pena his a 2 run HR

down 3-2 need a single to tie/win. K

I know he had a great season last year, I would temper expectations though

when in detroit the dude was the classic hit when it doesnt matter player.

Up 5-0, Pena his a 2 run HR

down 3-2 need a single to tie/win. K

I know he had a great season last year, I would temper expectations though
Are you mistaking him for Inge? Because you just defined Inge's career in two sentences.

He's always had the potential to do what he did last season...and now that he's done it, I see more of the same in the future. One of the best bargains in fantasy baseball this season, imo...

I'll go with neither. I think he'll hit somewhere between 32 and 38 HR's with a below average avg but decent OBP. He's the 1B version of Adam Dunn with a little less power.

shadyridr said:
JohnnyU said:
:goodposting: What? No he wasnt. He was ranked in the top 100 prospects 3 times, highest being #5 but that doesnt make him one of the most hyped ever.
Baseball America isn't the only ranking system. Whether I'm right or wrong about him being at the top of some rankings, I do remember the hype machine was larger than just a #5 ranking by Baseball America.from attheplate.com via 2002

the highest showing is #2, and that's for a list that only lists hitters.

Code:

MLBProspect Minors First TSN TPA RotoWorld

1 Beckett Josh Burroughs Se Beckett Josh Beckett Josh Beckett Josh

2 Blalock Hank Beckett Josh Burroughs Se Burroughs Se Blalock Hank

3 Burroughs Se Blalock Hank Prior Mark Blalock Hank Burroughs Se

4 Pena Carlos Pena Carlos Anderson Rya Cruz Juan Johnson Nick

5 Kearns Austi Johnson Nick Pena Carlos Snelling Chr Prior Mark

Code:

BProspectus StrikeThree Sickels KenPhelps SpringTraini

1 Blalock Hank Beckett Josh Blalock Hank Beckett Josh Beckett Josh

2 Beckett Josh Blalock Hank Beckett Josh Blalock Hank Prior Mark

3 Burroughs Se Burroughs Se Burroughs Se Burroughs Se Burroughs Se

4 Johnson Nick Prior Mark Pena Carlos Prior Mark Blalock Hank

5 Betemit Wils Johnson Nick Betemit Wils Johnson Nick Borchard Joe

Code:

SS-talk NL SS-talk AL KenWarren BBW-HIT BBW-PIT

1 Beckett Josh Blalock Hank Beckett Josh Dunn Adam Beckett Josh

2 Burroughs Se Johnson Nick Blalock Hank Pena Carlos Cruz Juan

3 Prior Mark Pena Carlos Burroughs Se Hall Toby Pineiro Joel

4 Betemit Wils Teixeira Mar Prior Mark German Esteb Duckworth Br

5 Kearns Austi Anderson Rya Johnson Nick Johnson Nick Smith Bud

Code:

BA PWatch TeamOne

1 Beckett Josh Beckett Josh Beckett Josh

2 Prior Mark Blalock Hank Blalock Hank

3 Blalock Hank Burroughs Se Pena Carlos

4 Burroughs Se Prior Mark Neugebauer N

5 Pena Carlos Johnson Nick Phillips Bra

Last edited by a moderator:
Cranked a homer yesterday and then hit a screamer off the top of the outfield wall today...I know it's ST, but he's hitting the piss out of the ball.

In fantasy circles I think this is one of the more important questions of 2008. I don't own him FWIW and does not effect my opinion here.

When he was in Detroit I watched him a lot and he was often overmatched. Some of it was mechanics but I think more of it was about confidence. The guy has a golden swing and has had that swing for a while. Last year it just seemed like it all started to make sense and that he was seeing the ball better. He hit long homers, pretty homers three years ago so that was not a surprise. The frequency was and his ability to actually look comfortable against good pitching is the difference from in him breaking out. I think he is likely to continue hitting well but I'm not sure if he can put up the kind of numbers he did a year ago. We'll see. As I've said many times he is a super nice guy and I really wish him success because he deserves it.

Guy won me my fantasy league last year so I'll always be grateful for that. I already had teixeira at first so I passed on keeping him and didn't have a chance to pick him back up so... even if it hurts me in fantasy terms I hope he proves me wrong.

Doctor Detroit said:
In fantasy circles I think this is one of the more important questions of 2008. I don't own him FWIW and does not effect my opinion here.When he was in Detroit I watched him a lot and he was often overmatched. Some of it was mechanics but I think more of it was about confidence. The guy has a golden swing and has had that swing for a while. Last year it just seemed like it all started to make sense and that he was seeing the ball better. He hit long homers, pretty homers three years ago so that was not a surprise. The frequency was and his ability to actually look comfortable against good pitching is the difference from in him breaking out. I think he is likely to continue hitting well but I'm not sure if he can put up the kind of numbers he did a year ago. We'll see. As I've said many times he is a super nice guy and I really wish him success because he deserves it.
:no:

Users who are viewing this thread