What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cedric Benson (1 Viewer)

My dynasty salary cap league is having it's free agency right now. Cedric Benson can be had for a very small price because he's an NFL free agent. Is he worth rostering? Will an NFL team pick him up?

I don't understand why he's still hasn't signed anywhere. I know he's not great, but he has had 3 straight 1,000 yard rushing years and is still only 29 years old. I figured he'd at least land somewhere where he can share carries with a younger RB or spell a workhorse. Maybe Seattle to share with Marshawn? Green Bay to share carries? Jets? - afterall, Greene certainly isn't any better. JAX? - Jennings hasn't shown much.

Is Benson done? Will he retire?

My dynasty salary cap league is having it's free agency right now. Cedric Benson can be had for a very small price because he's an NFL free agent. Is he worth rostering? Will an NFL team pick him up?I don't understand why he's still hasn't signed anywhere. I know he's not great, but he has had 3 straight 1,000 yard rushing years and is still only 29 years old. I figured he'd at least land somewhere where he can share carries with a younger RB or spell a workhorse. Maybe Seattle to share with Marshawn? Green Bay to share carries? Jets? - afterall, Greene certainly isn't any better. JAX? - Jennings hasn't shown much.Is Benson done? Will he retire?
He has had a lot of yards but hasn't done it very well. I see him as a a guy who will be picked up as someone's backup short/yardage guy. I wouldn't hang onto him.

I picked him up a few months ago as a speculative gamble, but just released him yesterday w/o penalty since he hadn't signed anywhere in 90 days. I agree that he'll end up somewhere when training camp injuries hit, but not worth the hold now for me...

I'm really surprised Detroit hasn't looked at him. With all of the unreliability they have had at RB over the last few years, you'd think they would welcome the opportunity to have at least one workhorse on the team.

I'm really surprised Detroit hasn't looked at him. With all of the unreliability they have had at RB over the last few years, you'd think they would welcome the opportunity to have at least one workhorse on the team.
From what I've heard from Schwartz they have more confidence in Leshoure then ff community

From what I've heard from Schwartz they have more confidence in Leshoure then ff community
People seem to forget the coaches do not care about fantasy.Benson will be on a team eventually, but he is just not valuable in the NFL world right now so why would he have any value in fantasy right now.Bunch of people in dynasty ww pool that are more valuable then a FA 29yo RB.

Just his track record alone should give him some value. I would expect him to sign somewhere and be a backup RB. I do think he's worth a cheap flyer in dynasty leagues right now.

People seem to forget the coaches do not care about fantasy.Benson will be on a team eventually, but he is just not valuable in the NFL world right now so why would he have any value in fantasy right now.

Bunch of people in dynasty ww pool that are more valuable then a FA 29yo RB.
Why do people keep saying this? Nobody has forgotten this. Everyone obviously knows this. Benson will always have more NFL value than fantasy value.

He must, but Leshoure is still somewhat questionable coming off an injury and facing suspension. It seems odd to have that much confidence in that type of player.

When you ask "Is Benson worth rostering?" do you mean for a FF team or an NFL team? Because even if the latter is yes, the former may still be no - and the latter is not even close to being a sure thing, imho. (and I own Benson in 1 league).

Last edited by a moderator:
The end is looking nigh for ff relevance.

I own him in 2 leagues but Im pretty sure I will be cutting him in both. Deadline for cuts isnt until pre season us underway, so I will hold in hope rather than expectation.

The Oakland Raiders are expressing interest in free agent running back Cedric Benson, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

You remember Benson, don't you? Over the past three years, he produced three 1,000-yard seasons for the Cincinnati Bengals and scored 19 touchdowns. He's also the 29-year-old running back who has drawn zero interest since free agency started over the past three-plus months ago.

I wasn't surprised when teams passed on him early in free agency. But I am surprised that he's lasted this long. Benson can be a dependable No. 2 option in this league. Maybe his public griping over splitting carries last season turned off teams. It's time for some team to give him a chance.

The Bengals did the right thing by going in a different direction this season. BenJarvus Green-Ellis is younger, more dependable carrying the ball and stronger in the red zone.

To his credit, Benson didn't leave Cincinnati on bad terms. He gave a classy farewell to the team in March.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50008/schefter-raiders-interested-in-benson

Frankly, the team that could use him most is Cincy...although he would fit well in Cleveland as a mentor/change of pace to Richardson. Maybe Jacksonville, but after that, barring an injury, you are getting into RB3 situations with him.

Frankly, the team that could use him most is Cincy...although he would fit well in Cleveland as a mentor/change of pace to Richardson. Maybe Jacksonville, but after that, barring an injury, you are getting into RB3 situations with him.
If he's proven one thing in his time in Chicago and Cincy, it's that he's a selfish guy who isn't a team player. If he had any mentoring capability, he likely would have been signed by a team such as Detroit by now.

If he's proven one thing in his time in Chicago and Cincy, it's that he's a selfish guy who isn't a team player. If he had any mentoring capability, he likely would have been signed by a team such as Detroit by now.
Maybe I am wrong, but I do not remember any selfish talk about Benson in Cincy...all I heard was he was a model citizen, for the most part. The fact that so many teams are two deep in RBs, is likely what is keeping him another team, not his attitude.ETA: And a veteran minimum versus a 0-2 year guy in total cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 2 teams last year had a ypc lower than Benson's career ypc.

He's scored 32 TD in 1635 total touches or a TD every 51 touches. Of the 30 RB with at least 1000 touches since 2005, that was the third worst ratio in football after Warrick Dunn and Julius Jones (both out of the league).

Of the 30 RB in that time with 1000 carries, his 3.77 ypc ranks 29th just ahead of Jamal Lewis at 3.72.

He ranks 75th in RB yards per touch out of the 77 backs with at least 500 touches since 2005.

Benson may be a workhorse, but he hasn't exactly been a productive one.

'Sweet Love said:
'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'Sweet Love said:
Maybe I am wrong, but I do not remember any selfish talk about Benson in Cincy...all I heard was he was a model citizen, for the most part. The fact that so many teams are two deep in RBs, is likely what is keeping him another team, not his attitude.ETA: And a veteran minimum versus a 0-2 year guy in total cost.
None of that makes him into any sort of mentor.

He's a compiler and if he doesn't have a clearly carved out #1 role he's not worth anything. Even then he's probably the 27th ranked RB with little to no upside.

'lbouchard said:
If he went to the Raiders as their no.2 he could actually have some value when DMC goes down
Goodson in limited time has showed to be pretty good and they have Taiwan Jones too.I say the story yesterday that Oakland is interested but Im not sure what he brings to the table other than a big body

'lbouchard said:
If he went to the Raiders as their no.2 he could actually have some value when DMC goes down
Goodson in limited time has showed to be pretty good and they have Taiwan Jones too.I say the story yesterday that Oakland is interested but Im not sure what he brings to the table other than a big body
I agree. Goodson in the ZBS will do fine as a backup for DMC. His only issue has been fumbling which can be corrected with coaching. I think he's flat better than Benson is now. And Taiwan Jones has been a homerun threat throughout the OTA's. I don't see the Raiders carrying 6 RB's this year (4 HB's and 2 FB's). They brought in a Owen Schmitt to compete with Manase Tonga for the bruiser FB role that is critical to have in the ZBS. The other FB is Marcel Reece. McFadden, Jones and Goodson are locks. I don't see the space for Benson other than coming in as a camp body. And his off the field character issues are well documented. I just don't see it either. :no:

'Sweet Love said:
'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'Sweet Love said:
None of that makes him into any sort of mentor.
Nor does it make him selfish...BTW, Taiwan, we hardly knew ye.

Only 2 teams last year had a ypc lower than Benson's career ypc. He's scored 32 TD in 1635 total touches or a TD every 51 touches. Of the 30 RB with at least 1000 touches since 2005, that was the third worst ratio in football after Warrick Dunn and Julius Jones (both out of the league).Of the 30 RB in that time with 1000 carries, his 3.77 ypc ranks 29th just ahead of Jamal Lewis at 3.72. He ranks 75th in RB yards per touch out of the 77 backs with at least 500 touches since 2005.Benson may be a workhorse, but he hasn't exactly been a productive one.
He's not quite as bad as you make him out to be. He's been on some pretty crappy running teams in his career. In his 7 seasons, only twice has he not had a higher ypc than the rest of the RBs on the team, his rookie year and 2010. In the other 5 years, he has been higher than the average of the rest of the RBs.In fact, if it weren't for Benson raising the Bengals average last year, there would have been three teams below his career average.

Only 2 teams last year had a ypc lower than Benson's career ypc. He's scored 32 TD in 1635 total touches or a TD every 51 touches. Of the 30 RB with at least 1000 touches since 2005, that was the third worst ratio in football after Warrick Dunn and Julius Jones (both out of the league).Of the 30 RB in that time with 1000 carries, his 3.77 ypc ranks 29th just ahead of Jamal Lewis at 3.72. He ranks 75th in RB yards per touch out of the 77 backs with at least 500 touches since 2005.Benson may be a workhorse, but he hasn't exactly been a productive one.
He's not quite as bad as you make him out to be. He's been on some pretty crappy running teams in his career. In his 7 seasons, only twice has he not had a higher ypc than the rest of the RBs on the team, his rookie year and 2010. In the other 5 years, he has been higher than the average of the rest of the RBs.In fact, if it weren't for Benson raising the Bengals average last year, there would have been three teams below his career average.
No matter how you slice it, Benson hasn't exactly lit things up. Overall, he really hasn't done that much better compared to his teammates.2005 Peterson 5.1, Jones 4.3, Benson 4.12006 Benson 4.1, Jones 4.12007 Benson 3.4, Peterson 3.42008 Benson 3.5, Watson 2.62009 Scott 4.3, Benson 4.2, Johnson 3.22010 Scott 4.9, Benson 3.52011 Benson 3.9, Scott 3.4Total for backs in CHI at same time: Jones 4.2, Peterson 4.0, Benson 3.8Total for backs in CIN at same time: Leonard 4.3, Scott 4.1, Benson 3.8, Johnson 3.2, Perry 2.6Could he have done better with the same workload on a better team? Probably. But he has to be considered a disappointment given that he was a Top 5 pick overall.Bad teams or bad lines aside, you would think that at some point he would have had some break away runs or a span with a lot of scoring chances and converted opportunities . . . but he really hasn't done that.My point in all of this is that he has been far from an elite performer. If people want to say he was one of the better mediocre performers over the years, so be it. He is what he is . . . a compiler that really only had any fantasy value because he got the ball a lot. No shame in that, but unless he is the workhorse somehere, his fantasy value will be minimal.

'Sweet Love said:
'Dawg Pound 69 said:
'Sweet Love said:
bengals fans are aware of such murmurs. he was def selfish with reps, carries, and snaps. he did not like coming off the field and would ##### at coaches and make whiny comments to the media after.

Users who are viewing this thread