What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chances That Mike Bell Keeps the #2 RB Role in NO? (1 Viewer)

Hear me out here, as a Pierre Thomas owner. Here are a few reasons why I think it is POSSIBLE that Mike Bell can keep the #2 RB job.

1. Thomas' MCL injury is more serious than initially diagnosed and/or is just not healing like the Grade 1 MCL strain should. The team thought he would be back by week 1 but he hasn't even practiced yet, even though the injury happened 2-3 weeks ago. This may give Bell a chance to play well for several weeks. If the team is winning and Bell is playing well, why make a change back to Thomas, who only played a significant role for part of a season himself last year?

2. Payton doesn't seem inclined to give Thomas the "injured veteran" treatment where he automatically gets his job/role back if he is healthy enough to play. Yesterday, Payton said that for Thomas to play, he has to be "better than the other back that’s potentially dressing in his place." Payton has also shown a willingness to replaced veteran RBs with other backups if the new guy is playing better/healthier (which is how Thomas got his role last year and Deuce is gone). And Thomas only had a major role for part of the year last season, so this is not as if he is a top draft pick or a long time top performer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports...l_tags/20090910

3. Mike Bell has had a very good camp (he was probably the "all star of camp", according to Brees) and showed good ability in the preseason, racking up over 200 yards in one game. Everyone says that he is much improved over how he was in Denver.

4. Payton has already said that Mike Bell is the guy they will use in short yardage/goal line situations, implying that Bell is better in this role than Thomas. If Bell is better in this capacity, is it clear that he won't be equal to Thomas as a between the 20's runner, too? Thomas did well last year but is no superstar.

5. From Payton's comments today, it sounds like Bell is going to get Thomas' carries while Thomas is sidelined. "We feel like Mike had a pretty good training camp and Reggie is healthy. You've got to have enough gas back there to where you're not just leaning on one player," http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports...l_tags/20090911

Also on this point: "Bush's role in the offense is not expected to change Sunday if Thomas is unable to play because of a lingering knee injury. Thomas' carries would likely be picked up by backup tailback Mike Bell". http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/...pect_a_hea.html

Given these factors, it does seem at least possible that Bell will have the opportunity to seize the #2 RB job for the Saints over the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Pierre owner, I was incredibly high on him....but ended up getting worried and picked up Bell off waivers (disclaimer - had him in Denver - never loved him but he was servicable). Talent wise - I believe that Pierre will seize a good share of the carries - but now beginning to feel that Oakland and NO will be 3 RBBC teams - thus really limiting upside on any of them....

I am hopeful Pierre comes back and shows what he did last year wasn't a fluke - but I'm concerned. I think that we may end up with:

Reggie 60% of the RB touches

Pierre 25% of the RB touches

Bell 15% of the RB touches (with goal-line carries)

Thinking that instead of Pierre and Bell - I would have rather have Bush - but didn't fall that way in the draft unfortunately for me.....

I could be way off base here - would love to hear MOPain's predictions here - as he seems to have the best grasp of the RBs across the league....and any NO homers would love to hear their input.....

I guess it would also be helpful to understand better what the recovery time might be like if the MCL sprain was a grade 2 instead of 1. Also, what are the risks of re-aggravation once Thomas does start practicing again?

IMHO, if Bush and Thomas are healthy there is no way Bell can bypass any of those two, he couldn't even take the starting job from Tatum Bell in Denver, and was even demoted to fullback. He's going to get PT until Pierce comes back because Reggie can't run between the tackles. Prob why Payton is hyping him up and giving him confidence.

By the way I didn't draft P.Thomas in any leagues and am actually starting M.Bell vs DET as my RB3

Any reasons? Other than drafting Pierre Thomas highly?
No, but 0 talent for Bell, as stated below he could not beat out Tater in Denver. He has bounced around the league with no luck after Denver. He will either 1. underperform this weekend, 2. get hurt 3. have a fumble or two. When it comes down to reality Hamilton is a better back, and may out perform Bell this weekend. Bush will get the Lions share this weekend with Hamilton and Bell getting crumbs.

They have no reason to rush Pierre back. I'm sure they want him back asap, but aren't going to risk rushing him back too soon and re-aggravating it. I drafting him 5:05 thinking he was good for game 1. I have to start Donald Brown in his place.

Ha, I luv the one-sided, tunnel-visioned mindset from the PT drafters. Face it folks, this guy is an easily replaceable commodity in that offense. He is a decent RB. He does a lot of things effectively but is not special in any particular regard. Like Aaron Stecker before him, he benefited from injury ahead of him on the depth chart and an explosive passing game leaving undermanned defensive fronts to feast upon.

Mike Bell may not displace PT entirely as this thread seems to suggest, but if he is effective in the same role (and I see no reason why he won't be) don't be surprised at all to see a full blown 3-headed RBBC in NO until attrition by injury shakes it down. Reggie's role as the 3rd down RB and slot WR won't be effected here either way as long as he's somewhat healthy.

At this point if you drafted PT, you have to be kicking yourself unless you also grabbed Bell somehow. It's the Saints RB that has value, not necessarily the player. Plug in any decent RB with health and motivation and he'll have fantasy success.

Guys, let's not forget that Bell is a terrible RB. He has never been able to catch on in situations where it's easy to succeed. He also wasn't REALLY tested in the preseason. I think you are driving down the dangerous road that happens when you become over analynitical and buy into pre season hoopla.

What were the Chances last year when the saints needed a Wr when Colston went down that it wasn't the drafted talents of Devery Henderson, Robert Meachum or Veteran WR David Patton but rather a nobody receiver named lance Moore who had shown flashes on special teams. Moore took the gig right out from under the other guys. It can happen but that all depends on Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas. Payton will play the best back regardless of who the fantasy pundits say that back is.

Ha, I luv the one-sided, tunnel-visioned mindset from the PT drafters. Face it folks, this guy is an easily replaceable commodity in that offense. He is a decent RB. He does a lot of things effectively but is not special in any particular regard. Like Aaron Stecker before him, he benefited from injury ahead of him on the depth chart and an explosive passing game leaving undermanned defensive fronts to feast upon.Mike Bell may not displace PT entirely as this thread seems to suggest, but if he is effective in the same role (and I see no reason why he won't be) don't be surprised at all to see a full blown 3-headed RBBC in NO until attrition by injury shakes it down. Reggie's role as the 3rd down RB and slot WR won't be effected here either way as long as he's somewhat healthy.At this point if you drafted PT, you have to be kicking yourself unless you also grabbed Bell somehow. It's the Saints RB that has value, not necessarily the player. Plug in any decent RB with health and motivation and he'll have fantasy success.
very :lol:

What were the Chances last year when the saints needed a Wr when Colston went down that it wasn't the drafted talents of Devery Henderson, Robert Meachum or Veteran WR David Patton but rather a nobody receiver named lance Moore who had shown flashes on special teams. Moore took the gig right out from under the other guys. It can happen but that all depends on Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas. Payton will play the best back regardless of who the fantasy pundits say that back is.
This is the correct train of thought, but the fact that Bell has a history of drowning himself says that people should NOT jump off the PT ship. I would wait till after week 2 to make an educated decision of what to do with the two backs.

This is the correct train of thought, but the fact that Bell has a history of drowning himself says that people should NOT jump off the PT ship. I would wait till after week 2 to make an educated decision of what to do with the two backs.
i wouldmt jump off the PT ship but I would grab Bell as insurance because you just never know. Bell has supposedly made some serious improvement this off season according to many inside Saints sources and to fans who have watched him develop in training camp and preseason. This is something that shouldn't be dismissed but neither would i jump ship on P.T. until I really had reason to do so.

Did you read The Weekly Gut Check - Bold Predictions

Posted 9/3 by Matt Waldman

Not that he is predicting Mike Bell but he seems to point to preseason production as increasing the odds for breakout potential. Since Pierre Thomas is not exactly a proven commodity it wouldn't shock me if Bell maintains more of a role as chances are atleast one of Pierre or Bush won't be healthy all year.

Three-headed monsters kinda sorta aren't.

Check the game logs last year for the Cowboys, Giants, Raiders, Ravens, Stillers, et al.

All those teams possessed (and still do) three capable backs - or in Pttsburgh's case, in theory they do.

But we only know that because injuries happen, especially at RB.

When all three are healthy, normal scenario is 2 guys get all or substantially all of the work, and #3 gets ST duty or doesn't dress.

In the 5 above mentioned examples, talent is the deciding factor.

No one would argue that Tashard Choice or Danny Ware (Ahmad Bradshaw last year) or Justin Fargas (Michael Bush in 2008) or Mcgahee/McClain (Rice last year) don't have talent, or can't get the job done if called upon.

Mike Bell can fulfill a role while Thomas is out, no question.

I also don't there is any doubt or question about who is the least talented RB of the trio in NOLA.

Don't own Pierre, but when he is healthy again, he'll have a job, a defined role, as will Reggie Bush.

Mr. Bell can share FB duties or break up the wedge when that happens.

I would not say there is zero percent chance Mike Bell takes away Pierre Thomas' job.

But having observed both over several seasons, I think it is safe to say it's a pretty slim opportunity.

ETA: typo

You guys are acting like P.Thomas didn't just put up 501 yds rushing, 5.0 yds/carry, 236 yds rec, 24 recs and 9 TDs in his last 7 regular season games. 9 TDs!! That's pretty damn good for 7 games.

Bells took his whole career to do what Thomas did in 7 games. If Bush and Thomas are healthy, Bell will be RB3.

Three-headed monsters kinda sorta aren't.Check the game logs last year for the Cowboys, Giants, Raiders, Ravens, Stillers, et al.All those teams possessed (and still do) three capable backs - or in Pttsburgh's case, in theory they do.But we only know that because injuries happen, especially at RB.When all three are healthy, normal scenario is 2 guys get all or substantially all of the work, and #3 gets ST duty or doesn't dress.In the 5 above mentioned examples, talent is the deciding factor.No one would argue that Tashard Choice or Danny Ware (Ahmad Bradshaw last year) or Justin Fargas (Michael Bush in 2008) or Mcgahee/McClain (Rice last year) don't have talent, or can't get the job done if called upon.Mike Bell can fulfill a role while Thomas is out, no question.I also don't there is any doubt or question about who is the least talented RB of the trio in NOLA.Don't own Pierre, but when he is healthy again, he'll have a job, a defined role, as will Reggie Bush.Mr. Bell can share FB duties or break up the wedge when that happens. I would not say there is zero percent chance Mike Bell takes away Pierre Thomas' job.But having observed both over several seasons, I think it is safe to say it's a pretty slim opportunity.ETA: typo
:thumbdown: - i agree with this. when he comes back healthy he will have a prominent role in the offense. But, that's the big question, isn't it? How long are we looking before he comes back healthy? he was out of practice on Wed., dressed and did individual workouts on thurs., and is ruled "out" on Fri.(did he work out today?) That to me says he wasn't really close to coming back this week. With that i mind, can we assume he will even really be ready to come back next week? The injury occurred the second preseason game, and after three weeks he still isn't really practicing? is he healing slowly or is this about right for this grade of sprain?

I still see the pecking order as Bush, Pierre, Bell. Bush is the centerpiece of the trio & his role won't be replaced anytime soon. Pierre's earned his role, but the leash is far shorter with him than Bush.

Any reasons? Other than drafting Pierre Thomas highly?
No, but 0 talent for Bell, as stated below he could not beat out Tater in Denver. He has bounced around the league with no luck after Denver. He will either 1. underperform this weekend, 2. get hurt 3. have a fumble or two. When it comes down to reality Hamilton is a better back, and may out perform Bell this weekend. Bush will get the Lions share this weekend with Hamilton and Bell getting crumbs.
What about alent for Thomas 0 also , as far has talent they are even .Thomas got a opportunity last season and Bell his getting his this season,i dont see a reason why Bell could not steal Thomas job.Of course i did nt overpay for Thomas .

You guys are acting like P.Thomas didn't just put up 501 yds rushing, 5.0 yds/carry, 236 yds rec, 24 recs and 9 TDs in his last 7 regular season games. 9 TDs!! That's pretty damn good for 7 games. Bells took his whole career to do what Thomas did in 7 games. If Bush and Thomas are healthy, Bell will be RB3.
You said 7 games . It means nothing .

If Thomas is ready next week I think he'll slide right back in.

If I were Thomas owners I would be worried about a healthy Reggie Bush just as much as Thomas' injury.

If Bush is truly healthy he probably will get 60% of the RB touches(Rushes and Catches). Now we all know Bush has never stayed healthy for too long but he does appear healthy right now.

If I was a Thomas owner(I'm not) then I would watch the distribution this week very closely between Bell and Bush. From all reports Bell will handle the full role of what Thomas would have had. We'll see how big that role is.

I own Bell and started him this week mostly because I have Lynch and I will be filling my second RB spot on a week by week basis for the first 3 weeks. How well Bell does this week will entirely depend on how well New Orleans does IMO. If the Saints smoke the Lions then Bell will get quite a few touches(15+). If it is a tight game he may only see about 8-10.

I don't like Bell in Week#2 vs Philly even if Thomas is out again so I'll probably be looking elsewhere next week.

This Mike Bell hype is starting to become crazy. He's still Mike freakin' Bell. So he had a good camp, big deal, he needed one to make the roster. So he tore up Houston in a preseason game, big deal, plenty of guys have huge preseason games. I don't see Danny Woodhead challenging for the Jets job.

Take a step back here, its great for Mike Bell that he had a great camp and is taking football more seriously(his words) its a pretty good situation for New Orleans to have a 3rd string RB with starting experience. That said, he's still the 3rd string RB. The only way that will change is if Thomas' injury is season ending. The guy will make a decent flex play while Thomas is injured, and that's it. When Thomas is back, it will be Thomas' job. Let's not forget that up until Thomas got hurt, nobody had even mentioned Bell in New Orleans.

Pierre Thomas was the talk of mini camp in May and was having an excellent training camp before his injury. The guy has put up excellent performances whenever he's played. He is a good inside runner, outside runner and receiver, and he's only 24, he's still improving. This injury(unless proven to be a major injury, like possible season ending) is just a temporary blip in Thomas' career.

So Thomas won't help your fantasy team in week 1, who cares? Its week 1, the most meaningless week of the fantasy season. Reports have said he's getting closer to playing and he could be a fantasy factor by week 3, barring any setbacks. Its not like the guy is in a wheelchair, he's not even on crutches.

I honestly can't remember fantasy nation ever turning on a guy so quickly. Pierre Thomas looks like one of the best buy-low guys in recent memory right now, its amazing to me that people think he could lose his job to Bell.

Finally, Reggie Bush is surprisingly not being talked about much in this Mike Bell mania. I think while Thomas is out its a mistake to think Bell will take Thomas' role completely. He'll get work definitely, but why won't Bush take some of that role too?

ETA: 1%

Ha, I luv the one-sided, tunnel-visioned mindset from the PT drafters. Face it folks, this guy is an easily replaceable commodity in that offense. He is a decent RB. He does a lot of things effectively but is not special in any particular regard. Like Aaron Stecker before him, he benefited from injury ahead of him on the depth chart and an explosive passing game leaving undermanned defensive fronts to feast upon.Mike Bell may not displace PT entirely as this thread seems to suggest, but if he is effective in the same role (and I see no reason why he won't be) don't be surprised at all to see a full blown 3-headed RBBC in NO until attrition by injury shakes it down. Reggie's role as the 3rd down RB and slot WR won't be effected here either way as long as he's somewhat healthy.At this point if you drafted PT, you have to be kicking yourself unless you also grabbed Bell somehow. It's the Saints RB that has value, not necessarily the player. Plug in any decent RB with health and motivation and he'll have fantasy success.
:goodposting: Well said!

This Mike Bell hype is starting to become crazy. He's still Mike freakin' Bell. So he had a good camp, big deal, he needed one to make the roster. So he tore up Houston in a preseason game, big deal, plenty of guys have huge preseason games. I don't see Danny Woodhead challenging for the Jets job.Take a step back here, its great for Mike Bell that he had a great camp and is taking football more seriously(his words) its a pretty good situation for New Orleans to have a 3rd string RB with starting experience. That said, he's still the 3rd string RB. The only way that will change is if Thomas' injury is season ending. The guy will make a decent flex play while Thomas is injured, and that's it. When Thomas is back, it will be Thomas' job. Let's not forget that up until Thomas got hurt, nobody had even mentioned Bell in New Orleans. Pierre Thomas was the talk of mini camp in May and was having an excellent training camp before his injury. The guy has put up excellent performances whenever he's played. He is a good inside runner, outside runner and receiver, and he's only 24, he's still improving. This injury(unless proven to be a major injury, like possible season ending) is just a temporary blip in Thomas' career. So Thomas won't help your fantasy team in week 1, who cares? Its week 1, the most meaningless week of the fantasy season. Reports have said he's getting closer to playing and he could be a fantasy factor by week 3, barring any setbacks. Its not like the guy is in a wheelchair, he's not even on crutches.I honestly can't remember fantasy nation ever turning on a guy so quickly. Pierre Thomas looks like one of the best buy-low guys in recent memory right now, its amazing to me that people think he could lose his job to Bell. Finally, Reggie Bush is surprisingly not being talked about much in this Mike Bell mania. I think while Thomas is out its a mistake to think Bell will take Thomas' role completely. He'll get work definitely, but why won't Bush take some of that role too?ETA: 1%
Easy, Bush can never and will never be the "workhorse" between the tackles back. He had his chance and proved he couldn't handle it nor was his skill set appropriate for it. That's why they treat him like fine china.

This Mike Bell hype is starting to become crazy. He's still Mike freakin' Bell. So he had a good camp, big deal, he needed one to make the roster. So he tore up Houston in a preseason game, big deal, plenty of guys have huge preseason games. I don't see Danny Woodhead challenging for the Jets job.Take a step back here, its great for Mike Bell that he had a great camp and is taking football more seriously(his words) its a pretty good situation for New Orleans to have a 3rd string RB with starting experience. That said, he's still the 3rd string RB. The only way that will change is if Thomas' injury is season ending. The guy will make a decent flex play while Thomas is injured, and that's it. When Thomas is back, it will be Thomas' job. Let's not forget that up until Thomas got hurt, nobody had even mentioned Bell in New Orleans. Pierre Thomas was the talk of mini camp in May and was having an excellent training camp before his injury. The guy has put up excellent performances whenever he's played. He is a good inside runner, outside runner and receiver, and he's only 24, he's still improving. This injury(unless proven to be a major injury, like possible season ending) is just a temporary blip in Thomas' career. So Thomas won't help your fantasy team in week 1, who cares? Its week 1, the most meaningless week of the fantasy season. Reports have said he's getting closer to playing and he could be a fantasy factor by week 3, barring any setbacks. Its not like the guy is in a wheelchair, he's not even on crutches.I honestly can't remember fantasy nation ever turning on a guy so quickly. Pierre Thomas looks like one of the best buy-low guys in recent memory right now, its amazing to me that people think he could lose his job to Bell. Finally, Reggie Bush is surprisingly not being talked about much in this Mike Bell mania. I think while Thomas is out its a mistake to think Bell will take Thomas' role completely. He'll get work definitely, but why won't Bush take some of that role too?ETA: 1%
Easy, Bush can never and will never be the "workhorse" between the tackles back. He had his chance and proved he couldn't handle it nor was his skill set appropriate for it. That's why they treat him like fine china.
Not arguing, just asking: when did Bush get a chance to be the workhorse?

When it comes to Pierre Thomas, I'm always skeptical because I live in Big Ten country (Badger season ticket holder) but yet I had barely even heard of the guy even though he played at Illinois. The guy sure did nothing to distinguish himself in college.

The Big Ten has surely produced its share of RBs that have been spectacular busts in the NFL, but I can't think of too many RBs that went on to be highly productive in the NFL after being virtually anonymous in our conference.

Maybe Thomas can be that guy. Just seems hard to figure.

I might pick him up just in case he replaces thomas AND bush.

and maybe colston, if his hands prove as good as his feet.

Not arguing, just asking: when did Bush get a chance to be the workhorse?

davearm said:
When it comes to Pierre Thomas, I'm always skeptical because I live in Big Ten country (Badger season ticket holder) but yet I had barely even heard of the guy even though he played at Illinois. The guy sure did nothing to distinguish himself in college.The Big Ten has surely produced its share of RBs that have been spectacular busts in the NFL, but I can't think of too many RBs that went on to be highly productive in the NFL after being virtually anonymous in our conference.Maybe Thomas can be that guy. Just seems hard to figure.
Pierre is a guy Mendenhall couldn't get off the field. Not sure what that says about PT, but it speaks volumes about Mendenhall.

Okay, Mike Bell couldn't outdo Tatum Bell in Denver, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't unseat DeShaun Foster in Carolina for quite a while. Sometimes it takes a while for the light to go on for an NFL player. I am not saying Bell will pull a DeAngelo, but to act like he has no chance is rather short-sighted. Like someone said, if Thomas' injury is worse than it might appear, and Bush gets hurt again (which is probably only a matter of time), Bell could be productive in that offense. You never know...

Okay, Mike Bell couldn't outdo Tatum Bell in Denver, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't unseat DeShaun Foster in Carolina for quite a while. Sometimes it takes a while for the light to go on for an NFL player. I am not saying Bell will pull a DeAngelo, but to act like he has no chance is rather short-sighted. Like someone said, if Thomas' injury is worse than it might appear, and Bush gets hurt again (which is probably only a matter of time), Bell could be productive in that offense. You never know...
The problem with this analogy is that Bell played his way off EVERYONES roster. DeAngelo never was a poor RB. Also, Williams was never in a situation where he COULD make the RB spot his.I'll go as far as to say Bell doesn't break 10 points in standard fantasy scoring this week.

jeez, mike bell breaks loose for 1 long td in the preseason, and you guys go nuts.

mike bell sucks, reggie bush sucks and will be missing games by week 5, and pierre thomas will be sought after by all of you. book it.

jeez, mike bell breaks loose for 1 long td in the preseason, and you guys go nuts. mike bell sucks, reggie bush sucks and will be missing games by week 5, and pierre thomas will be sought after by all of you. book it.
Bush is a great fantasy football player. Yes, he will likely miss games but that is why he is being drafted in the 4-6th rounds. It's a dice roll but he absolutely does not suck.

Okay, Mike Bell couldn't outdo Tatum Bell in Denver, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't unseat DeShaun Foster in Carolina for quite a while. Sometimes it takes a while for the light to go on for an NFL player.
I think you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.I've noticed this kind of thing a lot on this board ---- just about every thread there's some guy determined to draw some kind of analogy in order to 'simplify' the situation for himself, or whatever, and he always ends up just changing the subject to some other situation and confusing himself.my advice would be to just look at the details of the subject and stop confusing yourself w/these nonsensical analogies.mike bell is not deangelo williams, he's not trying to unseat deshaun foster, and he's not in carolina.other than that, the situations are identical --- they're both nfl running backs.edit psyou can find another example in my sig.

Traders2001 said:
You guys are acting like P.Thomas didn't just put up 501 yds rushing, 5.0 yds/carry, 236 yds rec, 24 recs and 9 TDs in his last 7 regular season games. 9 TDs!! That's pretty damn good for 7 games. Bells took his whole career to do what Thomas did in 7 games. If Bush and Thomas are healthy, Bell will be RB3.
My bad, one preseason game is a MUCH better indicator :)

Yesterday, Payton said that for Thomas to play, he has to be "better than the other back that’s potentially dressing in his place."
This is all you need to read. Payton doesn't say the job is PT's when he is healthy.

Traders2001 said:
My bad, one preseason game is a MUCH better indicator :)
You are being disingenuous. His preseason performance coincides with much praise from his QB and his coach. I don't own any players involved in this discussion. I only posted b/c some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous.At this point, all that is known is that 1) bell is healthy 2) thomas is not 3) bell has performed well in camp, according to his coaches and teammates 4) payton is on record saying he will start the back who is playing bestAnything else is subjective and the opinion of the poster. You may THINK Thomas will get the lion's share of the carries when he is healthy. You may THINK he has more talent and Bell's past history is indicative of how he will perform this season. But none of this can be stated with any certainty, not nearly to the degree displayed by some in this thread.It comes off like you are trying to convince everyone, including yourself....

Yesterday, Payton said that for Thomas to play, he has to be "better than the other back that’s potentially dressing in his place."
This is all you need to read. Payton doesn't say the job is PT's when he is healthy.
You guys are totally taking Paytons words out of context, he's talking about in order for P.Thomas to play THIS WEEK because he's hurt, not the season. Paint the picture however makes you feel better. :) "I was hoping we'd get more from him today," said Saints Coach Sean Payton, who said Thomas didn't have to be "100 percent" healed in order to play, but he "has to be better than the other back that's potentially dressing in his place."

"The key is getting to where it's comfortable enough to where he's not just practicing and able to plant on it, but he's effectively able to do that better than another player," Payton said.

If Thomas can't play, most of his snaps will likely go to tailback Mike Bell, who would split time in the backfield with starter Reggie Bush, and second-year pro Lynell Hamilton likely would be activated as the third tailback.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/...s_and_no_2.html

Why wouldn't he say the same thing next week? Esp. if Bell plays well on Sunday?

footballnerd, curious, do you have thomas on one of your teams? If so, when did you draft him?

Why wouldn't he say the same thing next week? Esp. if Bell plays well on Sunday?footballnerd, curious, do you have thomas on one of your teams? If so, when did you draft him?
Well of course if Bell outplays P.Thomas he'd take it, doubt that tho considering his NFL career.And no, I did not draft P.Thomas this year, and I am starting M.Bell this week as my RB3 because he will have a good week vs DET. I just feel that P.Thomas was prob one of the top backs the second half of the season last year, and there is no reason he can't pick it up where he left off barring any injury.

Honestly this thread is just funny.

Mike Bell Sucks.

No Pierre Thomas Sucks.

No Reggie Bush is made of crystal.

The bottom line is the Saints still have a lot invested in Bush. As long as he is healthy neither Thomas or Bell will be anything more than situational plays because Bush will get 60% of the RB Touches just like he did early last year when he was healthy. If(and I'm sure some people will say it's not if it's when) Bush gets hurt then perhaps this Thomas or Bell discussion would have more merit. Right now the Saints play the Lions so Bell is a good flex play in week #1 but Bush is the better play.

If Bush stays healthy this year the I guarantee you Thomas will be a big bust even if he gets healthy by week#2.

End of Story.

The problem with this analogy is that Bell played his way off EVERYONES roster. DeAngelo never was a poor RB. Also, Williams was never in a situation where he COULD make the RB spot his.I'll go as far as to say Bell doesn't break 10 points in standard fantasy scoring this week.
Pretty bold my friend. I am a PT owner and I am also very confident that a healthy PT will show M. Bell the bench.

Users who are viewing this thread