What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chances That Mike Bell Keeps the #2 RB Role in NO? (1 Viewer)

Why wouldn't he say the same thing next week? Esp. if Bell plays well on Sunday?footballnerd, curious, do you have thomas on one of your teams? If so, when did you draft him?
Agree 100% with football nerds post on comments made by Payton. He was refering to health of his RB. Yes, I do have him on my team. Big money 14 team keeper league. Drafted him in 2008 in the 11th round and kept him this year as an 8th round pick. We get to keep three players from the previous year but draft spot moves up three rounds. I was high on him going into the 2008 season.

I'll go as far as to say Bell doesn't break 10 points in standard fantasy scoring this week.

Pretty bold my friend. I am a PT owner and I am also very confident that a healthy PT will show M. Bell the bench.

Former PT owner traded him just in time.. but kept Mike Bell and it looks to pay off as a decent flex play.

PT is an avg back that is in a lucky situation. On the Raiders he or Bell likely gets cut. But fantasy football is all about opportunity.

Whoever the New Orleans back is will find gaping holes due the pressure Brees puts on the secondary. Unless they decide to use Bush between the tackles to keep defense honest, the 3rd back is going to score nice points in fantasy.

Bell could be a surprise this year, because PT will need to fight for his job back when he heals. Bell isn't giving back the rock without a fight.

Traders2001 said:
You guys are acting like P.Thomas didn't just put up 501 yds rushing, 5.0 yds/carry, 236 yds rec, 24 recs and 9 TDs in his last 7 regular season games. 9 TDs!! That's pretty damn good for 7 games. Bells took his whole career to do what Thomas did in 7 games. If Bush and Thomas are healthy, Bell will be RB3.
You said 7 games . It means nothing .
My bad, one preseason game is a MUCH better indicator :thumbdown:
You are being disingenuous. His preseason performance coincides with much praise from his QB and his coach. I don't own any players involved in this discussion. I only posted b/c some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous.At this point, all that is known is that 1) bell is healthy 2) thomas is not 3) bell has performed well in camp, according to his coaches and teammates 4) payton is on record saying he will start the back who is playing best
Unless we are talking about rookies, fantasy football and football in general for that matter is about 70% history and patterns and 30% everything else. You get 5 to 10 of these situations every year. The ones that stay calm and not overreact over preseason/camp play and subsequent comments based off preseason / camp play are the ones that win their leagues.

Former PT owner traded him just in time.. but kept Mike Bell and it looks to pay off as a decent flex play. PT is an avg back that is in a lucky situation. On the Raiders he or Bell likely gets cut. But fantasy football is all about opportunity.Whoever the New Orleans back is will find gaping holes due the pressure Brees puts on the secondary. Unless they decide to use Bush between the tackles to keep defense honest, the 3rd back is going to score nice points in fantasy.Bell could be a surprise this year, because PT will need to fight for his job back when he heals. Bell isn't giving back the rock without a fight.
I agree with all of this except I don't think Bell is a guy that will hit the holes. Totaly agree that PT and Bell would have a tough time making the Raiders roster if all things were equal. I don't think PT has overwhelming talent.

Pierre Thomas has also had injury issues every time he has been asked to carry the load. New Orleans will use all 3 backs extensively this season. None of them are particularly talented as runners. The poster who compared Thomas to Aaron Stecker was on the right track, a jack of all trades but master of none. He is probably a better ball carrier than Stecker was. But his success last season was a product of defenses being forced to play back against Brees. Thomas is not a great talent.

Bell is a very mediocre back. He only got carries his rookie year. He did go for 4.3 YPC. But who didn't in Denver. That being said, I think he would have continued that production if Shanahan gave him the carries. Trying to look back and deduce why Mike Shannahan would use one back over another is a fool's errand.

So Thomas is probably a little better than Bell. But Bell is stronger in some areas. Without Brees keeping defenses off the line, neither is NFL starter, and neither does anything in New Orleans that 50 other backs couldn't do.

footballnerd said:
You guys are acting like P.Thomas didn't just put up 501 yds rushing, 5.0 yds/carry, 236 yds rec, 24 recs and 9 TDs in his last 7 regular season games. 9 TDs!! That's pretty damn good for 7 games. Bells took his whole career to do what Thomas did in 7 games. If Bush and Thomas are healthy, Bell will be RB3.
PT is not suiting up, so at this point it really doesnt matter what his #'s were.....it is like comparing to pre-season numbers.

Very little touches for Bush.
Bush hasn't had a preseason. He looked rusty but had a couple of nice catches. No need to hurry Bush back from that surgery with Bell playing like this. For that matter you could rest PT and Bush if all teams were the Lions defense.
Rusty? I thought he was 100%. He sure was 100% with this fumbles (should have had 3 counting punts). Granted Bell fumbled once, but he was covered up with 2 hands and just helmet on ball. Anybody that watched the game today would say Bush is absolutely a zero threat to take away meaningful carries. What, 7 for 14? Sounds about right. Pure receiver. Bell looked great, shame he didn't get into the end zone. Only reason I like Thomas better is because of receiving. I'm very fearful of split time when Pierre comes back, making them both iffy. Better to have one in there.

Bell ran hard today. Nothing flashy, but he looked pretty good. Still, I didn't see anything that would cause Payton to permanently bench Thomas when he returns. He likely would have done the same to the Lions D. Still, might as ride the train while it lasts. I expect much less next week vs the Eagles

Bell certainly did nothing in Week 1 to hurt his chances to get a share of the carries. The pissing contest between Bell and PT owners will no doubt continue but that fact is indisputable.

i believed all the hype and picked Bell up today in both my leagues. if he would have scored today he's fantasy stats would have been above average. i'm not sure what to do with Bell at this point. Kinda thinking about dropping him for Cadillac Williams. the NFL has become RBBC.

Judge Smails said:
bushisdaman said:
Team ROFLCOPTERS said:
Very little touches for Bush.
Bush hasn't had a preseason. He looked rusty but had a couple of nice catches. No need to hurry Bush back from that surgery with Bell playing like this. For that matter you could rest PT and Bush if all teams were the Lions defense.
Rusty? I thought he was 100%. He sure was 100% with this fumbles (should have had 3 counting punts). Granted Bell fumbled once, but he was covered up with 2 hands and just helmet on ball. Anybody that watched the game today would say Bush is absolutely a zero threat to take away meaningful carries. What, 7 for 14? Sounds about right. Pure receiver. Bell looked great, shame he didn't get into the end zone. Only reason I like Thomas better is because of receiving. I'm very fearful of split time when Pierre comes back, making them both iffy. Better to have one in there.
i agree, Bush is a zero threat of taking carries away from Bell at this point. i mean Bell rushed for 143 yards today.

Bush will get the screens and other trick plays, Thomas will return and be the #1 RB option, he will be spelled numerous times by Bell who will make an impact as well. But like today, Mike Bell caught no passes and didn't score a TD. It was yet another of the great 4-headed RB team in New Orleans Hamilton or today's scorer the full back Heath Evans.

Like the receivers the running game has BLOWN UP and the options are a plenty!

jbz said:
Bell ran hard today. Nothing flashy, but he looked pretty good. Still, I didn't see anything that would cause Payton to permanently bench Thomas when he returns. He likely would have done the same to the Lions D. Still, might as ride the train while it lasts. I expect much less next week vs the Eagles
bell ran like deuce did when he was healthy and in his prime. he didn't seem to get tackled for a loss. not really shifty but could find the running lanes. he looked very good against a weak lions defense.

Bell played great against the Lions at home. You'd want your backup to show up for a game like that. For Bell, it proves that he belongs on an NFL roster and deserves to be in the position he's in. I wouldn't have given him that credit a couple months ago, so he showed me something.

But I don't see Pierre sitting for Bell when both are healthy. I see an annoying timeshare that ruins both of them fantasy-wise. No reason to rush Pierre back, though-- but we need to see Bell perform (i.e. 4.0 YPC and convert short yardage) against a stronger opponent.

Ok to anyone who faults Bell for not getting in the endzone are you smoking crack did you notice Drew Brees had 6 TD!!!! He did everything and more that the saints needed him to do and if PT is out for a couple more weeks and bell shines look out. PT is not a vet like LT who will be the RB regardless of a couple bad games after an injury, if PT comes back and sucks he will sit pine and Bell may never look back. Also I love how every year people bash Bush, he may not be a FF stud but he is one of the most dynamic football players in the league and I guarantee D plan all week to stop/contain him.

When Thomas gets back to 100% he'll get the nod over Bell IMO. But regardless of whether it's Bell or Thomas getting the lionshare, which one of them will IMO, I'd say that back averages 80yds. and .5 td..

I started both Bush and Bell this week (both as Flexes) and have Thomas on bench.

Sean Peyton, on Sirius NFL Radio, just said that he encouraged his 9 year old son to draft Mike Bell in his first ever fantasy draft. :goodposting:

Didn't he cough up the ball?

Someone said it best, the Saints were trying to roll out Deuce's dead carcass over PT last year so I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas is relegated to special teams or waterboy at this point.

Beat writer's take:

Running back Mike Bell turned into a one-man gang for the Saints, rushing for career highs in both carries (28) and yards (143) times. Bell, however, did have one hiccup late in the third quarter. On first-and-10 from the Lions' 30, he fumbled when hit by nose tackle Landon Cohen, and safety Louis Delmas returned the ball 65 yards for a touchdown to trim the Saints lead to 38-27.

Despite the turnover, Bell appears to be just what the Saints are looking for in a featured back. He runs hard between the tackles and possesses enough speed and elusiveness to be a solid threat. His performance will make for an interesting decision for Coach Sean Payton when Pierre Thomas fully recovers from a sprained right knee that sidelined him Sunday.

Based on the positive and raucous reaction from Sunday's sellout crowd, Bell could be the man.

link

The Lions could make anyone look good, and so could the Saints offense. I think they'll eventually go back to Pierre when Bell comes back to earth, he's like the Rodney Dangerfield of their team.

Beat writer's take:

Running back Mike Bell turned into a one-man gang for the Saints, rushing for career highs in both carries (28) and yards (143) times. Bell, however, did have one hiccup late in the third quarter. On first-and-10 from the Lions' 30, he fumbled when hit by nose tackle Landon Cohen, and safety Louis Delmas returned the ball 65 yards for a touchdown to trim the Saints lead to 38-27.

Despite the turnover, Bell appears to be just what the Saints are looking for in a featured back. He runs hard between the tackles and possesses enough speed and elusiveness to be a solid threat. His performance will make for an interesting decision for Coach Sean Payton when Pierre Thomas fully recovers from a sprained right knee that sidelined him Sunday.

Based on the positive and raucous reaction from Sunday's sellout crowd, Bell could be the man.

link
Interesting that none of the people watching the team on a day-to-day basis seem to think that Thomas has the #2 RB job locked up. And if Bush plays the role he did yesterday, the #2 job is really more of a #1.

Sean Peyton, on Sirius NFL Radio, just said that he encouraged his 9 year old son to draft Mike Bell in his first ever fantasy draft. :blackdot:
Interesting. What else did he say about Bell and the running game?
As I recall he said Bell runs upright and takes a lot of hits, but he runs hard and is going to be productive.The story about his son was that he told him to take Bell in the 9th or 10th and his kid was incredulous. And of course Bell is outperforming all the other guys getting drafted in those rounds.The general sense I got was that Payton was very happy with Bell and didn't seem in a rush to steer the conversation back towards Bush or Thomas.

code said:
Devil in the Detail said:
yellowdog said:
Sean Peyton, on Sirius NFL Radio, just said that he encouraged his 9 year old son to draft Mike Bell in his first ever fantasy draft. :goodposting:
Interesting. What else did he say about Bell and the running game?
As I recall he said Bell runs upright and takes a lot of hits, but he runs hard and is going to be productive.The story about his son was that he told him to take Bell in the 9th or 10th and his kid was incredulous. And of course Bell is outperforming all the other guys getting drafted in those rounds.The general sense I got was that Payton was very happy with Bell and didn't seem in a rush to steer the conversation back towards Bush or Thomas.
Very interesting. Thanks. Bell could be the steal of the draft if Payton really likes him so much...

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2...e%20Quotes.aspx

Coach Payton on Mike Bell's performance:

“I thought he ran the ball well. He had the one fumble that resulted in a touchdown, which is discouraging. I thought he ran hard. I thought the guys up front by-and-large did a good job coming off the football. I thought the balance was kind of where we wanted it. There is a little bit of a flow to that game. I thought Drew (Brees) had a real good command of what we were doing, our third downs were good and our conversions were good. There are some plusses with him running and there are some things he has to work on.”

Drew Brees:

What did it mean to have Mike Bell moving the chains and you guys were able to run the football?

“It’s awesome. We haven’t had that in a while, so that’s big. We ran a lot of plays and we had a lot of possession. Mike did a great job of stepping in and fulfilling that role. He was a work horse today, especially at the end of the game when it was just play after play of him pounding it up in there. That showed a lot of courage and obviously we’re going to need him as the season goes on to continue to do that, continue to get better. I like the guys that we have offensively, especially at the running back position.”

HoTnickZ said:
The Lions could make anyone look good, and so could the Saints offense. I think they'll eventually go back to Pierre when Bell comes back to earth, he's like the Rodney Dangerfield of their team.
i don't think anyone should expect pierre to be supplanted after a single game. what was interesting to me is how the saints ran the ball 35 times in the game. payton talked about creating more balance in the playcalling than in previous years. new orleans was able to control the clock in the second half by running the ball. 15 attempts from Bell in the 2nd half, i think. 19 attempts between bush and bell in the second half combined. that's something that was not done last year. i expect this to be a blueprint for games in the future. pierre will get his touches but they may attempt to grind out the wins with this stable of RBs.

I don't have a dog in this fight so no bias.

I think this game was bad news for Thomas owners who are leaning on him. Sure some of the statements are coach/teammate speak and sure it was Detroit, but Bell looked solid. This is one of those situations where both guys aren't special enough (comparatively) to relegate the other to the bench. So the lead back loses some touches to the guy behind him, thus lowering the lead's value and there is the same risk every week that the one you start on your fantasy team struggles with his first handful of carries and the coach gives the carries to the hot hand in that game.

I don't have a dog in this fight so no bias.I think this game was bad news for Thomas owners who are leaning on him. Sure some of the statements are coach/teammate speak and sure it was Detroit, but Bell looked solid. This is one of those situations where both guys aren't special enough (comparatively) to relegate the other to the bench. So the lead back loses some touches to the guy behind him, thus lowering the lead's value and there is the same risk every week that the one you start on your fantasy team struggles with his first handful of carries and the coach gives the carries to the hot hand in that game.
:lmao: I'm smelling three-headed monster, as well.

i believed all the hype and picked Bell up today in both my leagues. if he would have scored today he's fantasy stats would have been above average. i'm not sure what to do with Bell at this point. Kinda thinking about dropping him for Cadillac Williams. the NFL has become RBBC.
Trade him to the Bush or PT owner and THEN get Cadillac too.

Code:
• Word is Saints RB Mike Bell has a legitimate chance to overtake Pierre Thomas as the team's primary rusher. If one player has the hot hand, head coach Sean Payton will likely stick with him, and with Thomas nursing a knee injury, he could fall behind Bell in the early going.
Per pro football weekly link

Okay, Mike Bell couldn't outdo Tatum Bell in Denver, but DeAngelo Williams couldn't unseat DeShaun Foster in Carolina for quite a while. Sometimes it takes a while for the light to go on for an NFL player.
I think you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
You don't say? Through two games, Mike Bell has rushed for 229 yards, and is averaging 5.1 YPC. But he sucks, right? That is what you have repeatedly said in various threads. Care to admit that you are wrong now? If Bell can stay healthy, Thomas being healthy or not, he will get lots of touches. The Saints offense is on record pace with him as their featured running back.

Bell isn't healthy. Thomas has a chance to win the job back.
The Saints said on local TV that the injury is not serious. He will be held out this week more than likely as a precaution but the grade of injury does not appear to be as severe as PT's was. PT by the way is not 100% himself. Both will be battling for carries in week 4 in what will be and will likely continue to be the 3 headed monster. I wouldn't get get any illusions that Bell is going to fade into the woodwork because of missing a game. At the very least, he is still the short yardage and goal line back when he returns with upside.

The Saints said on local TV that the injury is not serious. He will be held out this week more than likely as a precaution but the grade of injury does not appear to be as severe as PT's was. PT by the way is not 100% himself. Both will be battling for carries in week 4 in what will be and will likely continue to be the 3 headed monster. I wouldn't get get any illusions that Bell is going to fade into the woodwork because of missing a game. At the very least, he is still the short yardage and goal line back when he returns with upside.
lol. if you say so pahdnuh

lol. if you say so pahdnuh
Why do you think he won't at least be the short yardage back if healthy???

Users who are viewing this thread