What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Johnson - WR Grand Valley State (2 Viewers)

He's a diffucult hold in a dynasty league right now. I believe in his talent but it may be years away still.

Ugh. Still holding this guy and Josh Gordon is starting to show on my depth. May be too little too late for me though. Nothing left to pick up in that league. I'll probably hold until the rookie draft cuts at this point. Anyone else still holding?

Charles Johnson has taken over the role of the WR the Vikings use in their big formations that Patterson occupied when Johnson was hurt. The Vikings have been in formations like this a lot recently, there is potential for big plays to the WR out of these formations and Johnsons 25 yard catch was a nice slant to an out route off of play action where Johnson got very open. There could be more of that ahead.

The Vikings may not opt to keep Mike Wallace after this season (especially if he doesn't start producing more) so this may cause Johnson to move up the depth chart next season. My main concern about this, is that Johnson and Diggs are both playing the same position right now. They both play the X WR spot. One of the two would need to move to the Z WR position for them both to be on the field at the same time. Wright is likely the slot for awhile. Maybe this isn't a big deal and the WR can play any of the WR positions, but in terms of opportunity this is why Johnson is blocked by Diggs right now. If the Vikings did want these two to be their primary WRs they might move Diggs to the Z. They seem to like him as the X right now. I am not sure if Johnson is well suited to play the Z.

The Vikings may just draft another WR in 2016 if they let Wallace go. So Johnson would still be competing with Patterson (he already won that battle) and the rookie(s) for a starting position in 2016.

If Wallace starts playing better or the Vikings renegotiate his contract in the offseason to keep him, then Johnson would need to beat out Diggs or Wallace for more playing time than he is getting right now.

Johnson told Goessling that it wasn’t until the November 1st game against Chicago that he felt like he could manage the pain well enough to play effectively.
The problem is he was god-awful far after Nov 1.  He had 1/35 in that Chicago game, 1/25 the next week, and a big fat donut the rest of the season.  If that's playing effectively kid's in trouble.

The problem is he was god-awful far after Nov 1.  He had 1/35 in that Chicago game, 1/25 the next week, and a big fat donut the rest of the season.  If that's playing effectively kid's in trouble.
So stats tell you how a guy played???

He wasn't in the game plan till the end and got very few snaps. 

I traded away all my draft picks in this draft until round 5.  I am hoping he's there when I pick.  He showed he belongs in the NFL in 2014.  

Although I was surprised that he's already 27.  Maybe the book is already written on him. It isn't like Minnesota has a glut of wr talent.  A decent player should ascend that depth chart quickly, like Diggs did. 

If they don't take a WR in the 1st round, I think he is a good cheap option! He has the talent...just needs the opportunity. If they go elsewhere at #23, then he has a shot to put up decent FF numbers.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel said Charles Johnson was the receiver who "popped out most during spring workouts."
This is especially noteworthy considering Vensel questioned Johnson's spot on the roster earlier this month. Playing ahead of first-round pick Laquon Treadwell, Johnson reportedly made several plays throughout minicamp. He is not going to hold off Treadwell through training camp, but Johnson likely ensured his place on the roster with a strong spring. He will still need an injury to Treadwell or Stefon Diggs to become a fantasy factor in the Vikings' run-heavy attack.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune 
Jun 18 - 1:03 PM

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's Matt Vensel, the additions of Laquon Treadwell and Moritz Bohringer pose the "biggest threat" to Charles Johnson's roster spot.
In the same breath, Vensel also noted Johnson stood out at OTAs and minicamp as the starting split end opposite flanker Stefon Diggs. Johnson will have to hold off rookie Treadwell for the gig, but if he doesn't, Johnson offers no special teams value, and the Vikings would have to maybe decide between he and Bohringer. Cordarrelle Patterson and Adam Thielen are special teams mainstays.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune 
Jul 22 - 9:46 AM

(Rotoworld) Charles Johnson opened Vikings training camp as the starter opposite Stefon Diggs.

Analysis: Johnson and Diggs are currently the starters on the outside with Jarius Wright locked into slot duties after receiving a contract extension. First-round rookie Laquon Treadwell reportedly struggled a bit this spring and isn't being handed anything. Johnson "popped out most" at minicamp and OTAs.

According to these reports both Johnson and Treadwell were making plays against Xaviier Rhodes.

I wouldn't necessary agree with the rotoworld take that shows some clear bias juxtaposing spring OTAs against the first day of training camp, while at the same ignoring that Treadwell is doing good things in training camp as well.

According to these reports both Johnson and Treadwell were making plays against Xaviier Rhodes.

I wouldn't necessary agree with the rotoworld take that shows some clear bias juxtaposing spring OTAs against the first day of training camp, while at the same ignoring that Treadwell is doing good things in training camp as well.
Another year, another round of roto commentary that recycles their predetermined beliefs rather than responding to any actual content in the news they link.

Good to know some things can be depended on in this increasingly unpredictable world. 

Yeah. I think it is a good thing that Charles Johnson is playing well. It is only one day of practice though. Many more to go.

Patterson participated in the morning walk through. So hopefully he is going to be ok. He fell on his shoulder in a bad way yesterday that I was concerned might set him back.

I'm trying to figure out if this guy's injury was the problem or he got a big head and lazy when he seized the #1 wr spot. He sure wasn't injured week one and that game was a candyass matchup here he did zippo. I don't even think he was injured for the 1st 6 games and he sucked.

Surprised there's not more buzz for him.  Continues to run ahead of Treadwell and reports continue to be really good.  A bit of Christine Michael syndrome I guess?  "Fool me four times", and all.

It has been very positive regarding Charles Johnson pretty much every practice. He is making plays.

Treadwell is making plays too, but Johnson seems to be doing really well right now. I hope that continues.

I was at Vikings training camp yesterday and Diggs made some nice catches and looked the best of the WRs. TE Rudolph also  made some nice catches.  

He's been lighting up the AAF. 23/410/1 through 4 games, when no other WR has 300 yards. PFF likes what they see, including 3.9 yards per route run and a 4% drop rate. It's taken him a while, but he may have finally put it all together. Seems worth rostering.

Yeah I have been hearing CJ has been playing well.

Late bloomer perhaps?

Worth a shot if you have room to add him I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread