What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Chicago Bears Thread*** A dynasty begins... (18 Viewers)

Anyone else think that pollard or derrick henry would have been a better acquisition than swift? I don't hate swift, but to pay him the same as those two doesn't make sense to me. I think adding derrick henry could have been huge for this team and their locker room.

Anyone else think that pollard or derrick henry would have been a better acquisition than swift? I don't hate swift, but to pay him the same as those two doesn't make sense to me. I think adding derrick henry could have been huge for this team and their locker room.
As president of the D'Andre Swift Fan Club, no.

Quite a few guys still available. Quit sitting on your ***, Poles.
Mooney is gone to ATL now...
Huge money
Agreed, glad we didn't pay that. Scared to see what an "upgrade" costs.

Bears quiet on day 2 so far. I think only Hunter or Conner Williams would make me happy at this point.
I'd like for them to add Curtis Samuel, if they can get him for a decent price. Other than Hunter and Williams, there don't seem to be a lot of impact players at positions the Bears need. Maybe DJ Reader could be fun? Chase Young scares me a bit. Maybe throw a lowball offer at a guy like Kyle Van Noy?

As president of the D'Andre Swift Fan Club, no.
Well, I'm certainly glad that someone thinks Swift will be good for the Bears. I have enjoyed so many of his spectacular runs, but his performance in the aggregate seems to be lacking.

Huge money

Bears quiet on day 2 so far. I think only Hunter or Conner Williams would make me happy at this point.
I'd like for them to add Curtis Samuel, if they can get him for a decent price. Other than Hunter and Williams, there don't seem to be a lot of impact players at positions the Bears need. Maybe DJ Reader could be fun? Chase Young scares me a bit. Maybe throw a lowball offer at a guy like Kyle Van Noy?
I agree we're getting into the run of the mill FAs at several positions now. I like Samuel as well but wouldn't loose sleep to miss out on him. Bears do need a #3 WR and #2 TE.

Bears really need a legit edge and starting center if they want to do anything next year.

Just signed Gerald Everett. Hopefully not too expensive. I don't hate it, but I also don't love it. The temperature of the Bears free agency is luke warm.

With Williams off the board, we had better go HARD at a rookie OC and OG. Id be very disappointed with Bates as our starting OC and no real depth behind Jenkins/Davis at OG.

Just signed Gerald Everett. Hopefully not too expensive. I don't hate it, but I also don't love it. The temperature of the Bears free agency is luke warm.
2/12 is not bad.

I love the Everett move. He's a huge upgrade from Tonyan, and probably Kmet's equal. Waldren runs tons of 2-TE sets.

Other than the Swift signing, I've been pretty happy with the offseason so far.

2/12 is not bad.

I love the Everett move. He's a huge upgrade from Tonyan, and probably Kmet's equal. Waldren runs tons of 2-TE sets.

Other than the Swift signing, I've been pretty happy with the offseason so far.
Yeah, at that price I am pretty happy with Everett. I was afraid they might offer big $$$, as the Bears seem to have been outbid on a couple of guys.

With the caveat that the offensive line needs to be addressed, I appreciate Poles' strategy of surrounding (presumably) Caleb Williams with legitimate NFL talent.

I hope the addition of Everett does not preclude a potential selection of Bowers.

I'll take Swift over Pollard any day.

Yeah, I like both those guys more too but I'd rather have Swift than none of them so sometimes you just have to settle for what you get.

Your girlfriend is an 8, sure you want a 9 or 10 but so does everyone else. If you had no girlfriend, the 8 would suddenly be appealing. His 4.6 YPC tied for 12th best in the league last season above both the guys you mentioned.

Now YPC isn't everything, but it's definitely something but then again Khalil Herbert averaged 4.6 YPC with us last season so maybe it was an idiotic move, lol. We have two Khalil Herberts now, which I guess is good in case one of them gets hurt like RB usually do.

I'd take Pollard over Swift any day, but that's not the issue for me. The issue for me is I think Herbert and Foreman are better runners than Swift. If they wanted a pass catcher, there were cheaper options.

The reason they let Monty walk was because they didn't wanna pay a RB, then a year later, they pay a RB that isn't on Monty's level.

I'd take Pollard over Swift any day, but that's not the issue for me. The issue for me is I think Herbert and Foreman are better runners than Swift. If they wanted a pass catcher, there were cheaper options.

The reason they let Monty walk was because they didn't wanna pay a RB, then a year later, they pay a RB that isn't on Monty's level.
Swift is coming off a career year and is only 25. I think it was more than the pass catching. I think they wanted to be more explosive. Swift has a gear Herbert and Roschon don't.

With the caveat that the offensive line needs to be addressed, I appreciate Poles' strategy of surrounding (presumably) Caleb Williams with legitimate NFL talent.

I hope the addition of Everett does not preclude a potential selection of Bowers.
There are way more pressing needs than Bowers at pick #9. Love the guy's talent, but need at WR, OL, EDGE and DT should be addressed first.

Swift is coming off a career year and is only 25. I think it was more than the pass catching. I think they wanted to be more explosive. Swift has a gear Herbert and Roschon don't.
Swift is not more explosive than Herbert. They are pretty much the exact same level of speed and quickness, but Herbert is a FAR better tackle breaker. Unfortunately, Herbert is basically a zero in the passing game.

I've seen it a few times this week, but I don't know why people think Swift had a good season last year. He played behind arguably the best OL in the NFL, averaged 4.5 YPC (which is not good in that situation, especially with a mobile QB like Hurts) and of the 25 RBs who had 200+ carries was the 2nd worst when it came to breaking tackles.

I guess Swift stayed healthy last year, but that's basically the extent of his positives. Bears likely just did the equivalent of what the Panthers did last offseason signing Miles Sanders, only it cost the Bears more money.

ETA: Its really wild to me that the perception of Swift has changed so much after a season where he was less effective than Miles Sanders was the season before. Swift was traded for a day 3 pick this time a year ago.

Not too sure Bears are going to fill all their remaining holes w this year’s draft. Looks like they made thier big splash in free agency. Was hoping they were going to sign one of the top centers. If they take Williams then they most likely miss out on top 3 WR but they get shot at quality line help. That second round pick gap hurts. Fans thinking this is plug and play walk to a big turnaround this year might want to temper expectations. If DJ misses time they are in a pickle regardless of who is QB

Not too sure Bears are going to fill all their remaining holes w this year’s draft. Looks like they made thier big splash in free agency. Was hoping they were going to sign one of the top centers. If they take Williams then they most likely miss out on top 3 WR but they get shot at quality line help. That second round pick gap hurts. Fans thinking this is plug and play walk to a big turnaround this year might want to temper expectations. If DJ misses time they are in a pickle regardless of who is QB
Still plenty of quality DL available, and quality secondary WRs if they want one.

Truthfully, I think the Bears are in better shape than the Vikings right now.

Still plenty of quality DL available, and quality secondary WRs if they want one.

Yes totally agree. They are in a good spot over the Vikings. If the Bears can get the OL into top 12 and stay healthy they are going to turn the corner. Detroit fixed that OL than brought in the playmakers and a serviceable QB. Their defense was exposed. Pains me to say but GB still king of the hill in division. Man pains me to type that

I'd disagree about quality DL/Edge still available. It's down to 1x all-pro, 1x plus level starter, and then all situational guys

Huge money

If past history tells us anything about the Bears with a lot of cap space, you'll be disappointed. They rarely sign anyone that's highly sought after and the money just gradually disappears into thin air.

I'd disagree about quality DL/Edge still available. It's down to 1x all-pro, 1x plus level starter, and then all situational guys
Maybe quality was an exaggeration but upgrades on current talent.

Huge money

If past history tells us anything about the Bears with a lot of cap space, you'll be disappointed. They rarely sign anyone that's highly sought after and the money just gradually disappears into thin air.

I can't remember the last time we signed a Free Agent who was worth a damn. Julius Peppers?

God, remember when Julius Peppers was on the Bears? Those were good times! :lol:

Swift is not more explosive than Herbert. They are pretty much the exact same level of speed and quickness
Umm... Wow

Hunter headed to Houston.

What the hell is Poles doing?

I'm under the impression nobody wants to play for our poverty franchise, unfortunately, I mean, if you were an NFL player wouldn't you want to play in Houston? I mean, it doesn't help that Free Agents have no clue who our QB is going to be, I mean, we know who it's going to be but everyone is playing this big game as if it could actually still be Fields.

****, I would choose Houston too. Got that badass head coach, that young stud QB. Or I could freeze my *** off in Chicago for a team that has had 2 winning seasons in the last 12 years. Yes, you read that right, we suck that much.

Swift is not more explosive than Herbert. They are pretty much the exact same level of speed and quickness
Umm... Wow
I agree 100% w/ travdogg

2023: 7-10
2022: 3-14
2021: 6-10
2020: 8-8
2019: 8-8
2018: 12-4
2017: 5-11
2016: 3-13
2015: 6-10
2014: 5-11
2013: 8-8
2012: 10-6

I mean, I knew we were bad... but I didn't realize we were THAT BAD, smh, no wonder nobody wants to play here.

"Come join our team that has won 16 games in the last 3 seasons. We're getting ready to turn the corner."

I wouldn't believe me either and would be telling my agent to find ANY other offer.

Last edited:
Hunter headed to Houston.

What the hell is Poles doing?
Trading for players who would've been cut, over paying for an RB, and signing some old dudes.
Here's another take on it:

All salaries are inflated this year because the cap went up. If the Bears waited for Bates to be cut, they would have to negotiate a contract with him with the funding expectations of the current salary cap. For a relatively low price, they locked in major savings over two years for at worst a swing lineman who can play three positions.

Swift's salary is right in line with all the other free agent running back signings. Herbert is a free agent after this season and Johnson hasn't shown much beyond role player capacity. If they don't sign an RB, they are essentially committing to using their limited draft capital to take an RB. Likewise, no NFL team is going into a season with two functional RBs.

Old experienced and reliable dudes sounds like an excellent plan for supporting a rookie QB, and frankly a very un-Bears way of operating. There's no guarantee the "stud WR" drafted at #9 amounts to anything, in particular in his rookie year. Everett comes on a cheap contract having played four years in Waldron's system...are we really going to position this somehow as a negative?

Albert Breer
@AlbertBreer
With free agency rolling, there wasn't a single GM at Oregon QB Bo Nix's Pro Day, and just one head coach—Bears coach Matt Eberflus, who led a sizable Chicago contingent.
3:22 PM · Mar 12, 2024
The Flus statement is interesting, but it's very surprising that a QB with a 1st/2nd round grade has zero NFL GM/HC attendees at his pro day. I suppose that doesn't account for scouts and other player personnel, though.

The current moves we are seeing from the Bears seem to point to the same tried and true Bear’s strategy - prioritizing defense and the running game. The next chapter is obviously top first round picks. Im very skeptical that the Bears can make the shark move for the major value adds.

Frankly, if Williams is the prodigious franchise QB does he really want to come to Chicago? Can the current coaching staff facilitate a jump to the pro level for Williams given the train wreck of how Fields was “developed”? What about this year’s draft capital- is it enough? Picks are limited after first round so value reduces significantly. All this is pointing to trade down on pick 1 or 9. I believe Poles is stressing a long term patient strategy. I am tempering expectations for 2024 and project that the Bears can make bigger impacts by 2025 if they don’t blow this draft

Users who are viewing this thread