What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Chicago Cubs 2010 Bandwagon *** (1 Viewer)

Trade everybody. Blow it up. This is embarassing.
Sell high.
Right now the Cubs are 4th in the NL in runs scored

and 7th in the NL in ERA. That talent is there to be in the wildcard mix or challenge the Cardinals if they falter. It depends on the continued success of the outfield bats and Soto, Ramirez hitting like he can, and the bullpen solidifying. It is easy to get frustrated as Cub fans but you jumped the gun on bailing out on this team.
This is very telling, up until lately they just were not scoring many runsLets hope the offense can stay healthy

Trade everybody. Blow it up. This is embarassing.
Sell high.
Right now the Cubs are 4th in the NL in runs scored

and 7th in the NL in ERA. That talent is there to be in the wildcard mix or challenge the Cardinals if they falter. It depends on the continued success of the outfield bats and Soto, Ramirez hitting like he can, and the bullpen solidifying. It is easy to get frustrated as Cub fans but you jumped the gun on bailing out on this team.
This is very telling, up until lately they just were not scoring many runsLets hope the offense can stay healthy
At this point, we still have reason for hope.

Castro called up. Theriot to 2B. Tracy sent down.
I probably would have like to see some Iowa time for Castro but he has shown more patience at the plate and has been more consistent in the field while hitting 370+ at AA. No problem with Tracy being sent down as Fontenot/Baker could provide what he provides offensively. Also, Vitters was promoted to AA and Cashner to AAA. Surprised that Brett Jackson is still in Daytona when he appears to be more prepared for the move up than Vitters right now. Jay Jackson is pitching well in Iowa as well.The defense should be better at two positions and Castro doesn't have set the world on fire to match the current 2B production. The future seems to be much closer than thought with the Cubs top 5 prospects all looking like they could be with the team by the beginning of next year (although there is no room for them). In addition, the starting pitching at low A Peoria/high A Daytona is looking promising with McNutt (21), Antigua (20), and Dolis (22) looking good.Obviously the sweep in Pittsburgh especially not showing up last game was ugly. There is still plenty of season left but at this point this team looks like a 500 team.

Castro called up. Theriot to 2B. Tracy sent down.
Only May 7th and already their second panic move of the season. Thats pretty strong.
Castro has hit 332 in 243 AA plate appearances including 376 this year. He also hit 376 in the AFL. By all accounts his defense will be a plus day one and his bat is ready. While I would have put him in AAA for at least a month, I am not watching him every day. Even though he is 20, if he is ready, he is ready.While I was against the move of Z, it has helped the team so far and the starters are not a problem as of yet without Z.

at what point do they drop aramis below soriano in the order?

seems like he is killing a ton of rallies that might continue if soriano was batting 5th.

seems like he is killing a ton of rallies that might continue if soriano was batting 5th.
I've been wondering about this. My best guess is that Aramis has shown brief flashes of getting out of his slump and Piniella doesn't want to rock the boat when he could be getting his rhythm back. But it's looking more and more like those brief flashes are just random. Soriano needs to be batting fifth soon. Hell, maybe fourth. This lineup needs a shakeup and some steroids. It's a shame so much quality pitching is going to waste lately.

I've been wondering about this. My best guess is that Aramis has shown brief flashes of getting out of his slump and Piniella doesn't want to rock the boat when he could be getting his rhythm back. But it's looking more and more like those brief flashes are just random. Soriano needs to be batting fifth soon. Hell, maybe fourth. This lineup needs a shakeup and some steroids. It's a shame so much quality pitching is going to waste lately.
Lou seemed to have no issue rocking the boat with the rotation, but he's quesy about changing lineup spots? With a streaky guy like Soriano he should be much more proactive moving him up, and down, the lineup.

Lou seemed to have no issue rocking the boat with the rotation, but he's quesy about changing lineup spots? With a streaky guy like Soriano he should be much more proactive moving him up, and down, the lineup.
Looks like he's shaken it up a bit today. Aramis and Theriot get the day off:1. Fook

2. Castro

3. Byrd

4. Lee

5. Soto

6. Soriano

7. Fontenot

8. Baker

Last edited by a moderator:
PROSPECT UPDATE

Andrew Cashner in his first Iowa start went 6 innings with a 6-1 K/BB allowed 5 hits and 1 run. This is after a 42-13 K/BB, a 176 baa, and 2.75 in 36 Tennessee innings.

Last years #1 pick Brett Jackson is hitting 330 and his 23 walks see his OBP at 446. He hasn't shown much power at Daytona as of yet put did hit 8 hr in a partial season last year and the FSL is a pitchers league. I can't imagine he will stay in high A for long.

Josh Vitters is 6 for his first 13 at Tennessee with 3 doubles in 4 games since his promotion.

With Lee and Lilly free agents at the end of the year, I wonder if the Cubs talk to them about the trade for prospects and return next year type of scenario. Obviously, although things couldn't look too much worse, they still have some time to turn it around. But the building for next year has to be entering the mind soon.

Aramis looks to be back on planet Earth with his swing. Castro is probably the best pure hitter on the team already. Cubs go for three straight in what looks like another wind blowing in affair tonight. I will be there.

The Cubs are 3-1 with me and 15-21 without me. Anybody want to give me tickets?

Good game last night aside from Lee and Ramirez failing again in the first with runners on 1st and 3rd. Silva was tremendous once again and Castro seems to have found his comfort zone on defense. That Olivo face plant into second base had the 200 level rolling with multiple replays on CSN.

boubucarow said:
pantagrapher said:
Wonderful start from Wells and it's encouraging to see the team battling late in a close game.
It is all on the backs of Lee and Ramirez to put this team where they should be.
Yup. For all the naysaying and as poorly as they've played at times, they're still only 5.5 back in the division and wild card races. A little more offense could go a long way right about now

boubucarow said:
pantagrapher said:
Wonderful start from Wells and it's encouraging to see the team battling late in a close game.
It is all on the backs of Lee and Ramirez to put this team where they should be.
its off ramirez's back for a few days at least:

http://muskat.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/05...z_thumb_ne.html
I hope they go to the 15 day DL route and just sit him for a couple weeks. He should be treated as a second half addition at this point. Fontenot/Baker can do what he has been doing this year so far.

PROSPECT UPDATEAndrew Cashner in his first Iowa start went 6 innings with a 6-1 K/BB allowed 5 hits and 1 run. This is after a 42-13 K/BB, a 176 baa, and 2.75 in 36 Tennessee innings.Last years #1 pick Brett Jackson is hitting 330 and his 23 walks see his OBP at 446. He hasn't shown much power at Daytona as of yet put did hit 8 hr in a partial season last year and the FSL is a pitchers league. I can't imagine he will stay in high A for long.Josh Vitters is 6 for his first 13 at Tennessee with 3 doubles in 4 games since his promotion.
In three winning AAA starts, Cashner went 6+ innings and gave up one run or less each time. In 19 innings, he has allowed 13 hits, walked only 2, and struck out 14.

PROSPECT UPDATEAndrew Cashner in his first Iowa start went 6 innings with a 6-1 K/BB allowed 5 hits and 1 run. This is after a 42-13 K/BB, a 176 baa, and 2.75 in 36 Tennessee innings.Last years #1 pick Brett Jackson is hitting 330 and his 23 walks see his OBP at 446. He hasn't shown much power at Daytona as of yet put did hit 8 hr in a partial season last year and the FSL is a pitchers league. I can't imagine he will stay in high A for long.Josh Vitters is 6 for his first 13 at Tennessee with 3 doubles in 4 games since his promotion.
In three winning AAA starts, Cashner went 6+ innings and gave up one run or less each time. In 19 innings, he has allowed 13 hits, walked only 2, and struck out 14.
i think it was gammons saying the cubs shuld bring him up and put him in the bullpen for this season.

i think it was gammons saying the cubs shuld bring him up and put him in the bullpen for this season.
It looks like Jay Jackson has been in the bullpen since Cashner was called up. I have to think that Jackson is being transitioned for a call up. Of course, calling up Cashner to the bullpen doesn't mean he won't be a starter next year, but I get the feeling the Cubs are hesitant considering how little time he has actually started.Also, Vitters is holding his own at AA but with little power and walks so far. Hak Ju-Lee is on fire after a slow start and is at 275/339/369 with 24 stolen bases (12 caught) at the age 19 in low A. The top of the system seems to have overperformed expectations so far. Most other hitters are disappointing so far but Castillo/Chirinos could challenge for a backup C role with some offense and defense next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice win last night. Great pitching from Dempster. Marmol shut the door without incident.

Another game gained in the Central.

Nice win last night. Great pitching from Dempster. Marmol shut the door without incident.Another game gained in the Central.
I am more worried about getting above 500 than gaining games right now. Yet, it is good that the Reds or Cards don't seem good enough to pull away.

Theriot has a 7-25 BB/K ratio. There is no reason to suspect better than a 300 average this year and it is likely to be much worse than that. If he isn't working counts and taking free passes, he should be the backup MI while Fontentot/Baker play 2nd base again who should provide much better offense to make up for the defensive downgrade at 2nd.

Theriot has a 7-25 BB/K ratio. There is no reason to suspect better than a 300 average this year and it is likely to be much worse than that. If he isn't working counts and taking free passes, he should be the backup MI while Fontentot/Baker play 2nd base again who should provide much better offense to make up for the defensive downgrade at 2nd.
Career statsTheriot: .289/.354/.366Fontenot: .272/.342/.432Baker: .266/.323/.452So yeah, they're better hitters, but its only marginally. Its more likely that Theriot regresses to his career walk rate than Fontenot sustains an .801 OPS

Users who are viewing this thread