What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Johnson 2012 (1 Viewer)

yeah, they can release him after paying him 30m for 4yds/game.
After paying him 1 million for 2,000 yards. So the Titans way underpaid by performance in the past, so now they are paying for it. On top of that, I'd go out on a limb and say he'd probably get more than 4yds/game if they had an offense. And the 30 million wasn't guaranteed for performance, only injury. So they can cut him if his performance is this bad and he won't see any more of that money.

Last edited by a moderator:
add his signing bonus, last year's salary, and this year's salary and get back to us with that figure.

It would be pretty funny to see somebody put CJ's contract in perspective of yds so far this season. For example; he makes $500,000 per game and therefor has made $17,241 for every yd gain this season.

Still contemplating buying, no idea why.

Going to toss Pettigrew at the owner as his current TE situation is Jacob Tamme / Heath Miller.

Meh..

Looking to move him but not giving him away. I've got Morris, Gore and Bradshaw ahead of him so there isn't any rush.

I'd much rather hang on to his 'potential' than give him away.
I wouldn't feel comfortable with that group tbh. I'd package him and upgrade while you still can.

add his signing bonus, last year's salary, and this year's salary and get back to us with that figure.
So lets break it down. He signed a rookie 5 year/$12 million deal. His contract gave him a $10 million bonus and he had a $3 million base salary. So add in $8 million this year. That looks to be a career earnings of $33 million for 5,666 rushing yards and 38 TDs. By my calculations, AP went through 4 years of his rookie contract and made something between 24 and 28 million on that. Add his 12 million signing bonus and 16 million base salary over the last two years and he seems to be at 52 million career for 6,896 rush yards and 66 TDs in one more year than CJ. So CJ is a year behind and 1,200 yards behind Peterson. AP has TDs on CJ, I'll give you that but also a better team around him. Peterson has 4.8 ypc while CJ has 4.7. Certainly if the trends continue, CJ's contract won't be worth it and Ten. should cut him but to act like his contract is an albatross while players like Deangelo Williams are rarely mentioned about their contracts.

I would imagine people are talking about chris johnson rather than deangelo williams because this is a thread about chris johnson.

that's why they call those things 'subject' lines.

if you want to talk about deangelo williams, I hear he posted 69/1 on only 14 carries last week.

I'm pretty sure at least a couple people have been talking about peterson recently -- rushed back from a torn acl for 144/2 this year, so far.

how's chris johnson been doing.....?

I would imagine people are talking about chris johnson rather than deangelo williams because this is a thread about chris johnson.that's why they call those things 'subject' lines.if you want to talk about deangelo williams, I hear he posted 69/1 on only 14 carries last week.I'm pretty sure at least a couple people have been talking about peterson recently -- rushed back from a torn acl for 144/2 this year, so far.how's chris johnson been doing.....?
I'm not talking about this thread. In general, nobody brings up Deangelo Williams' contract. Congrats, he had a decent week against a terrible D. And I'm talking about career numbers not week by week reactionary stuff or if I'm the Lions, I'm trading Stafford for Alex Smith. It is about regression to the mean. CJ will be fine. He won't be consistent but when he puts up his numbers, they'll be pretty big. Is he worth the money, probably not in this offense but the Titans offense should get a bit better with Britt.

Our commish is shopping him for a top-15 RB - he is willing to toss in another player if necessary.

Do you even think that is necessary?

:lmao:

'Mario Kart said:
Johnson, for all he is worth, is not a buy low. Nobody is selling even at mid range prices.Offered Green-Ellis in two of my leagues and was rejected each time. No counter offer, no communication from either owner about moving Johnson.Offered Ridley in two other leagues along with a 3rd round rookie pick. No go on either of those.
i would much prefer ridley. pretty mindboggling that was rejected.

There is no trade market for Chris Johnson that will return the amount of value placed on him when he was drafted in the first round.

i'm thinking about offering Locker and Martellus Bennett for CJ and his first next year.it's not as ridiculous as it sounds, since it's a PPR 2QB dynasty and he's only got one starting QB and Hasselbeck and Heath Miller is his only TE.

while writing this i'm ot even sure if i want to offer that! LOL

'mphtrilogy said:
hes gonna cost a lot of future rb's a loooot of money....
between him and Shaun Alexander basically completely bombing post big contract I would think it will make it very difficult for a RB to get paid.yet they paid Fred Jackson in the off-season which was an even stranger use of money given the fact they had CJ

To get an idea of value... just dumped dead weight CJ0k in a trade today:

Chris Johnson + Heyward-Bey

for

Steve Smith + Antonio Brown

An owner sent out an email earlier today that he lost faith in cj and wanted to move him. An hour later the deal was done - cj for deangelo Williams straight up in my redraft league. I'm the commish and i can't veto the deal because it may be the best offer he would have received for cj. That's how much his value had dropped.

To get an idea of value... just dumped dead weight CJ0k in a trade today:Chris Johnson + Heyward-BeyforSteve Smith + Antonio Brown
LOL...just got an offer accepted where I was able to trade same two players (CJ and DHB) for Dez and Hillis. Can't believe it got accepted...

'cvnpoka said:
'Mario Kart said:
Johnson, for all he is worth, is not a buy low. Nobody is selling even at mid range prices.Offered Green-Ellis in two of my leagues and was rejected each time. No counter offer, no communication from either owner about moving Johnson.Offered Ridley in two other leagues along with a 3rd round rookie pick. No go on either of those.
i would much prefer ridley. pretty mindboggling that was rejected.
I just traded CJ for Ridley and I'm pretty happy about it. Maybe I could've gotten another piece but wanted to bail while he still has his name recognition thing going for him. And I'm a Patriots fan...bonus. :thumbup:

To get an idea of value... just dumped dead weight CJ0k in a trade today:Chris Johnson + Heyward-BeyforSteve Smith + Antonio Brown
Awesome trade. Robbery.
LOL...just got an offer accepted where I was able to trade same two players (CJ and DHB) for Dez and Hillis. Can't believe it got accepted...
Good trade, a bit risky but I like it.
An owner sent out an email earlier today that he lost faith in cj and wanted to move him. An hour later the deal was done - cj for deangelo Williams straight up in my redraft league. I'm the commish and i can't veto the deal because it may be the best offer he would have received for cj. That's how much his value had dropped.
Awwwwww, wtf is that? Trading a turd for a turd seems rather redundant.

For those of you trading FOR Chris Johnson at this point, are you expecting a similar 2nd half performance like last year?

Week9-17 last year he was a top 10 FF RB.

I looked at the schedule. I just don't know. I just feel like I don't want to deal with a player like that. I already have Jamaal Charles.

Until they get their passing game going CJ will not be having fun. The offensive line cant block much and Locker is constantly flushed out of the pocket. CJ looks hesitant too, he did at the start of last year and then came on a little stronger in the 2nd half. I dont own CJ in any leagues and at this point I am not willing to buy low until I can see more out of that offensive line and the passing game.

CJ got paid and his stats have been heading downhill since.

Just moved CJ for Charles Hillis Helu. In redraft 0.5 PPR 5 keeper

Im a Morris owner. Normalling feel good about trades but this not sitting to well in my gut.

CJ been haunting me causing me all sorts of pain over the last 18 games. Worried he will catch fire and it all starts again while I watch him on another roster.

For those of you trading FOR Chris Johnson at this point, are you expecting a similar 2nd half performance like last year? Week9-17 last year he was a top 10 FF RB. I looked at the schedule. I just don't know. I just feel like I don't want to deal with a player like that. I already have Jamaal Charles.
Well if you have Charles, I wouldn't advise buying CJ although you'd have a great 2nd half. But schedule wise, 2 games each against Jags and Colts. They won't be blown out and Jags are worst def. against fantasy runners, Colts are 8th worst. Also game versus the Jets who are currently 10th highest scored upon defense, Miami who is 8th highest, and Bills 11th highest. And they'll be in the game against the Vikes.

For those of you trading FOR Chris Johnson at this point, are you expecting a similar 2nd half performance like last year? Week9-17 last year he was a top 10 FF RB. I looked at the schedule. I just don't know. I just feel like I don't want to deal with a player like that. I already have Jamaal Charles.
For me, I'm trying to get him to try and make a small profit.If I can trade from a position of depth (TE for me) and then have CJ go off in a span of 3 out of 4 games or something, then try and sell him + WR to upgrade WR (or get a better RB) I'll do it.Trade from a position of depth, for the potential BOOM. Though the boom may never come..

Wish I were able to sell him while his value was higher, but never got any good offers. Finally sold low. I don't think he's done, but I think this offense is lost this year and am wary a complimentary back gets brought in next year. He'll salvage value later in the season as if the run game remains in neutral they'll go pass heavy and he'll see lots of PPR goodness.

yeah, and in those 9 weeks about 4 of them were good ppr starts, and they happened to be about the 4 most dismal defenses in the league.the other 5 weeks were terrible.the 2nd half isn't magic.he had 12 carries for 13 yards in week 11.

Yeah, the difference in value between owners and potential trade partners is ridiculous. I own him and I'll probably hold onto him but I would think about BJGE or Ridley. Probably try to get another upside RB or WR out of you. That said, another CJ owner just offered me him for Ryan Matthews. Like sure, I held Matthews on my bench for two weeks to just sell him when I get to see him at work. He'll probably be top 24 when all is said and done and provides more week to week potential than most other backs in that area but not the consistency. Many owners are in love with CJ's breakout ability rather than BJGE's consistently mediocre performances.
I am really starting to regret taking CJ at 10th overall in a 12 team, 6pt ALL TD, PPR league. I wasn't expecting another 2000 yard season out of him but thought he could get me around 1300 yards rushing and another 40 rec / 400 yards. Does not look like that is going to happen.

I haven't had a chance to watch either Titans' game so I can only go on what I've read. Has their offensive line and offense in general been that terrible???

I'm going try and salvage some value out of him instead of watching him circle the drain completely. I just offered him straight up for Ryan Matthews. I highly doubt the Matthews owner goes for it but its worth a shot IMO. Maybe the CJ2K hype is still in his mind...
this thread is making me lol for real.
Agreed. This reminds me that last season, before the Broncos game I had a thread asking if people would panic if CJ DIDN'T have a good day against the Broncos (matchup looked inviting). People kept holding their course, saying they wouldn't worry and it never turned around for them.

I know there are some people IN THIS THREAD talking it up like he was still a good RB for the year but, man, you are missing the whole story if that's what you are hanging your hat on guys. I've said this a million times: The guy puts up less than 8 fantasy points in HALF of his games. How can you possibly WANT that on your team. Stop looking at the total at the end of the year and start looking at how it affects your ff team each and every week. Start thinking of how much time you devote to Chris Johnson on a given week on these boards and in relation to your fantasy team. In order for you to be able to come in here and laud over his 30 point game he got you one week, you have to start him 16 times (to make sure you don't miss those occasional big games). Don't get me wrong, everyone loves THOSE games but its not worth what you pay each and every week to get it.

-Less than 8 points in half his games EVERY season of his career except the ONE big year (at some point, you have to stop saying "upside" and start saying "outlier".).

-Only 4 games of 100+ rushing yards last year. That's not horrendous in itself but when you also realize that outside those 4 games he never topped 64 rushing yards in the other 12 games, that's brutal for your so-called main RB. 75% of your games are 64 yards or less? c'mon.

-Only THREE games of 15 points or more. That's in a PPR. You can flex a ton of guys and end up with 9-10 points without even thinking twice about it. For the price, not worth it.

-One of my favorites I brought up before, because there were SO MANY people that literally couldn't believe it: Did you know that Nate washington outscored CJ in PPR last year. Now think of that in terms of price you paid to get these two guys. Now go take a minute to look at Nate's weekly output. Nate had twice as many 15+ games than CJ. The point in this comprison isn't to compare these two specific people, its to illustrate that in a genreal comparison of two players in a similar situation, one guy is costing you your first round pick. The other could be had for much less. And there are a lot of other out there that can do the same.

I see a lot of people playing around with CJ's nickname these days. "Maybe it shuld be CJ.4K", etc. Personally, I think it should be CJ0K because it looks like "joke" and the joke is on the people that continue to draft him and then compound it by continuing to defend him. They live for that BIG performance so they can come in and say they were the faithful and they got the last laugh but in the meantime (E.g., 2010, 2011, 2012 so far), there's not much to laugh about. this guy is killing your team and handcuffing you into feeling compelled to start him while, in the meantime, your opponents are picking up guys off the waiver wire or using guys they drafted in the latter rounds to offset your #1 pick.

Chris Johnson appears for all intents and purposes to be the guy that came to work when he was young and did everything asked of him. Worked hard, got the promotion, got the corner office, got paid. And now that he has those things, he's woken up and said "I got what I wanted; time to stop sacrificing what I don't have to."

Shutout and 12 punch really hate this guy.
He's right though. People like to point to how CJ finished 9th in PPR last year despite sucking it up. They largely ignore how inconsistent he was on a week to week basis and that he did much more harm than good as owners tried to chase after the big games. Owning CJ quite simply makes it very hard to win your league.

I'm holding CJ3 for the time being to see how things go. Fortunately Spiller was my RB3, so I have the luxury of letting a high draft pick sit on the bench, at least until Fred Jackson comes back and we see what sort of rbbc is in store for Buffalo. If I didn't have that as an option, I'd be scrambling to see what I could get, knowing I would probably take a net loss on a trade.

He's right though. People like to point to how CJ finished 9th in PPR last year despite sucking it up. They largely ignore how inconsistent he was on a week to week basis and that he did much more harm than good as owners tried to chase after the big games. Owning CJ quite simply makes it very hard to win your league.
People in this thread are trying to figure out what to do at this point, or if there is any bright side to the whole thing.Listen, everyone knows he sucked last year and so far this year. We get it. Are owners supposed to just throw their hands up and give up because he sucks?

People in this thread are trying to figure out what to do at this point, or if there is any bright side to the whole thing.Listen, everyone knows he sucked last year and so far this year. We get it. Are owners supposed to just throw their hands up and give up because he sucks?
The best route is to sit him, wait for one of the big games, then trade him for whatever you can get.

I traded for him before week 2, and now start him as my RB2/Flex along with Ray Rice and Michael Bush in a .5 PPR league. I pretty much expect ~4-8 points with a tremendous upside, so it works for me. :thumbup:

well, if they had done that after last year they wouldn't be in this predicament right now.

LOL. It probably does seem that way but, honestly, for me at least (not sure about 12 punch), It just seems like a story that has been played TO DEATH, with the same "reasoning" on both sides of the argument. But all the while, its as if no one wants to check the oven and see what's been cooking and its right there for everyone to see. So, when we have to wade through the SP every year, dodging countless posts about him, its just like "why?" Why do people constantly want to ask about value for trading him away? Avoid it by letting someone else draft him and let them worry about it.

Just pointing out that you two guys are posting in here way more than any Chris Johnson owner trying to figure out what the heck to do with him.

Not much I can do at this point. Only hope is running game loosens up a bit with Locker improving and Britt becoming a real factor in the passing game.

I am peddling him...and he is basically viewed as the equivalent of a voodoo hex.

No one wants him. No one.

Users who are viewing this thread