What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Johnson fined $10,000 for TD celebration (1 Viewer)

The possible reason was that it was premeditated.

I think I saw or read something where he said something to Fisher about it before the game about it and Fisher said, "No Way". But since they were up by so much he did it anyway.

:)

10k is excessive... particularly for a rook... I think some disciplinary action was warranted though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3660847

Please explain to me what possible reason the NFL has for fining a man 10 grand for banging on some drums.

Honestly I think this guy (Goodell) has a God complex. I commend him on being tough on players for their unlawful conduct but this kind of thing is ridiculous.

This is wrong on so many levels.
Hes starting to get ridiculous.Hines Ward said today that when him and other officials visited in the last couple days, that Ward's hit on Rivers might be illegal next year. Thats beyond soft. His hit was perfectly legal

I like what Goodell does with the legal stuff as far as off the field crimes, BUT, his fines on hits and celebrations is getting WAYYYY outta hand

Last edited by a moderator:
The possible reason was that it was premeditated. I think I saw or read something where he said something to Fisher about it before the game about it and Fisher said, "No Way". But since they were up by so much he did it anyway. :goodposting: 10k is excessive... particularly for a rook... I think some disciplinary action was warranted though.
Interesting...you could definitely tell the difference in Fisher's reaction since they were up...than what his reaction has been in the past to a player doing something similar when its a close game.10k is excessive...its not like he planted the prop there.Plus, it was kind of funny.

I'm not weighing in on this per say, but something else. I am sick of seeing guys celebrate after every play. They catch a pass in the first quarter and they point first down and scream. Why? I know there is emotion, but you haven't caught a ball in 4 weeks, settle down. Watching Javon Walker do this last week made me laugh. Guy hasn't done squat then goes nuts on every catch. I just don't get it. I get the excitement, just not the constant showmanship.

I'm not weighing in on this per say, but something else. I am sick of seeing guys celebrate after every play. They catch a pass in the first quarter and they point first down and scream. Why? I know there is emotion, but you haven't caught a ball in 4 weeks, settle down. Watching Javon Walker do this last week made me laugh. Guy hasn't done squat then goes nuts on every catch. I just don't get it. I get the excitement, just not the constant showmanship.
Agreed.But even worse is when the receiver doesn't make the catch and it IS ALWAYS PASS INTERFERENCE AND THEY MOCKINGLY THROW THE FLAG.That is getting really old.

Agreed.But even worse is when the receiver doesn't make the catch and it IS ALWAYS PASS INTERFERENCE AND THEY MOCKINGLY THROW THE FLAG.That is getting really old.
I have long said that I would put in a rule that if a WR does that motion calling for a flag...he is going to get one...on himself. I hate that crap.

I think you'd fix the celebration problem quicker if you fined ESPN $10k for everyone they show, and every time they show it.

50k when they run a special that talks about celebrations getting out of hand while showing an assortment of said celebrations.

I guess I can see both sides of this argument. I grew up watching guys like John Stallworth and Franco just hand the ball to the ref after a TD. "Act like you've been there before and you plan on being back." Athletes have become way too much about self-promotion. A team can be down by 4 TDs and a DB with make a tackle after a 30 yard completion and get up celebrating his big hit. Ridiculous.

Then again, I think Goodell is kind of overdoing it a bit. I don't see anything wrong with a brief emotional celebration after a TD. And if the premeditated aspect of it is a problem then every Lambeau Leap should draw a fine.

Next up... fining the Packers for the Lambeau Leap.

I see crosseyed beat me to it, that's what I get for talking to others while trying to post.

As a fan, I would WAY rather see Johnson get excited after a long TD run and play the bongos than to quietly hand the ball to the ref and go back to the sidelines. What is the NFL brass's problem?

Oh yes, and I also like when Ocho gets up to his antics too.

I guess I just like to see guys having fun :lmao:

I don't see how CJ was making a fool of himself at all.

Given the comparatively low salaries CFL players make, they would probably be broke if they started getting similar fines:

Here is a pic of one of my all-time fav CFL TD celebrations where the Calgary Stampeders do a bobsled team impression:

Bobsled

CFL = Can-have Fun League

Weren't the bongos there before the td? Seriously, who puts bongos at the end of an end zone and doesn't expect someone to play them after a td?

Weren't the bongos there before the td? Seriously, who puts bongos at the end of an end zone and doesn't expect someone to play them after a td?
I heard the Chiefs are buying all of Carrot Top's props and planting them in the opponent's endzone. They figure it's their best chance to get 15 yards.

About the one thing that CFL has over the NFL -- the CFL players can have fun playing a game they are getting paid to play. The bobsled celebration is hilarious, and all in good fun.

I blame Sharpie for the demise of the TD celebration ; )

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :fishing:

If only they were all classy robots ...

That's one thing I don't understand. It is a game being played for entertainment purposes. Stop taking it so seriously and let guys have fun after a td. It adds to the entertainment value. That's less annoying than watching a guy who made a tackle 4 yards downfield jump up and celebrate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3660847

Please explain to me what possible reason the NFL has for fining a man 10 grand for banging on some drums.

Honestly I think this guy (Goodell) has a God complex. I commend him on being tough on players for their unlawful conduct but this kind of thing is ridiculous.

This is wrong on so many levels.
Someone has to stop these guys from acting like 10 year olds.
What do you think the people in the stands want to see? The ones that pay $70 a ticket to sit in the nose-bleeds. This is supposed to be fun. Not 1930's Germany. Is it ok to have some fun? Showing emotion is not allowed? Lot of people acting like 10 year olds in the stands pal.According to you we need to get rid of:

- The Hogs in DC

- The Dog Pound in Cleveland

- The Lambeau Leap

- Beer at the stadium

- The Cheese Heads

- Face and Body Painting

- and more

He used a prop. The rule clearly states, if you use a prop in a celebration, expect to be fined. There's no wiggle room in this one, it's very black and white.

The info that kinda riled me up is the possible "banning" of hard clean blindside hits next year.

I'm all for celebrations and having fun. Jump up and down, celebrate with your teammates that helped you get there, celebrate with the fans who cheered you on. I'm even ok with jumping up and signaling first down on a big play.

The choreographed ones are the ones the annoy me. It tells me they're putting effort into planning their celebration instead of planning on doing something worth celebrating.

All that said, $10k for that sounds excessive, tho I didn't see it. Tho it would've been funny to see one of the KC prep band kick him in the nuts for it. Protect the house and all.

:twocents:

I have long said that I would put in a rule that if a WR does that motion calling for a flag...he is going to get one...on himself. I hate that crap.
Agree all the way here. That is getting beyond a joke at this point. The chest pounding after 6 yards gains for a first down, and the over exuberance on routine plays is really geting stale.With that said this fine is a joke IMO. When a guy runs 68 Yards for TD he should be celebrating and have some fun and damm it is entertainment to. Let them celebrate a big play....touchdowns are big plays. I have no issues with TD celebrations. Some guys act as if they have been there over and over ( buy simply handin the ball or a modest spike) and I am in that school when I play sports as well. But there is nothing wrong with big time TD celebrations in the NFL, it is part of the fun and entertainment factor of the pro game.

I'm all for celebrations and having fun. Jump up and down, celebrate with your teammates that helped you get there, celebrate with the fans who cheered you on. I'm even ok with jumping up and signaling first down on a big play.

The choreographed ones are the ones the annoy me. It tells me they're putting effort into planning their celebration instead of planning on doing something worth celebrating.

All that said, $10k for that sounds excessive, tho I didn't see it. Tho it would've been funny to see one of the KC prep band kick him in the nuts for it. Protect the house and all.

Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hQPXEnJDM...feature=related

Goodell is a friggin military type. He shtick is getting old. Very old. The off the field stuff I like his leadership but when it comes to the game itself. He needs to get a grip and let these guys blow some steam off when they score a TD for crying out loud. They are all grown men and can handle some taunting. It all comes back around in the NFL. This is not pee wee football.

Here it is:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88hQPXEnJDM...feature=related
Thx, silly fine, IMO. Warranted a warning at best. I know the rule, I know, but it's still pretty silly.

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :thumbup:

The problem is this is a team game, maybe they should be playing golf.
That's one thing I don't understand. It is a game being played for entertainment purposes. Stop taking it so seriously and let guys have fun after a td. It adds to the entertainment value. That's less annoying than watching a guy who made a tackle 4 yards downfield jump up and celebrate.
I pay for entertainment so I can see people doing things I am not capable of doing not things a 5 year old can do. If making a fool of yourself is entertainment to you so be it, my standards are higher. OH LOOK AT ME, I SCORED A TD!

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :goodposting:

I pay for entertainment so I can see people doing things I am not capable of doing not things a 5 year old can do. If making a fool of yourself is entertainment to you so be it, my standards are higher. OH LOOK AT ME, I SCORED A TD!
:lmao:

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :hey:

Different strokes for different strokes. You can't imagine why people would want to draw attention to themselves after they score a TD; I couldn't imagine spending my life getting wound up over a guy celebrating a TD.Also, if you don't like how these guys celebrate on the field, perhaps you should follow your own advice and watch golf instead?

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :bye:

Maybe football isn't the sport for you if this is bothering you that much. Its a natural human reaction to celebrate and to "take it all in" after one pulls off something impressive.

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :bye:

Maybe football isn't the sport for you if this is bothering you that much. Its a natural human reaction to celebrate and to "take it all in" after one pulls off something impressive.
Just replying to let you know I haven't seen your avatar in awhile; please post more often.TIA

he used a prop -- that's the rule.

end of story.

if he doesn't enforce it how's he going to enforce the next one w/o the players' union wailing?

Sniff! Ah the lovely stench of hipocrisy coming from Goodell.

Big hits get fined, sell vidoes of Big Hits.

Celebrations get fined, sell videos of TD Celebrations.

What's next? Videos of NFL badboys Pacman, Chris Henry, and LJ at a club making it rain and spitting on the ladies? But seriously, we don't condone this sort of behavior...

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :unsure:

Irregardless of whatever your point here is Coach Strothers but surely even you can see the hypocrisy here?

I hate when guys express their individuality and have fun playing football. :goodposting:

Irregardless of whatever your point here is Coach Strothers but surely even you can see the hypocrisy here?
Let me put it this way; I watch football for the game not immature antics. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread