What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Johnson... pass catcher? (1 Viewer)

chem

Footballguy
Through 2 games, Chris Johnson has 1 reception for 1 yard. I haven't watched those games.

Can anyone explain why he is not being used more in the passing game? Screens, check-downs, designed routes? It was a major asset of his in the past which has just disappeared. What's the deal with this new OC and scheme? Anyone watch TEN's games?

Kinda. Ridley relies on tds. It's just a matter of time until cj breaks a long one. He has played 2 good run defences the first 2 weeks.

I don't spend top picks on RB's I don't anticipate can not be at least 40 catch RB's. Probably my biggest peeve so far this season is my top two choices in my biggest money league, Doug Martin and Chris Johnson, have combined to catch 3 passes. Days like yesterday are exactly why I don't like non passing backs, these two combined for 240 yards rushing which was good for mediocre 24 points. That won't work.

As to why I'm not sure. The encouraging news is both of these guys are playing almost all third downs so in theory it should come. I'm more concerned about Chris Johnson than Martin however. I know I read, and at this point foolishly believed, Dowell Loggains saying this off season he planned to utilize CJ more in the passing game but the truth is since he took over he's done nothing but de-emphasize his role in the passing and this is something we saw signs of during last few weeks last year.

The Titans didn't use him much in the second half. He had like 77 yards in the first half. Horrible decision IMO.

I'm not in a PPR league so the lack of receptions doesn't bother me. I'm not too upset with his performance / usage so far... he got 25 carries in each game including 2 rushes inside the 10 yard line against PIT... then TENN scored a rushing TD on the next play (go figure). He's clearly the lead RB getting that many touches so the long TD runs should come against lesser opponents. If I didn't have him, I would be looking to trade for him.

Is Kendall Wright taking away Chris Johnson's targets? Johnson had the fewest catches of his career last year, which happened to coincide with Wright's arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had told me before the season that Johnson would have 50 carries in the first two games I would never have guessed he'd only have 18 total PPR points.

they made it a point to say that Johnson would be emphasized in the passing game more than ever

I saw estimates of 50 catches this year

I have him in many leagues

With not being the goal line back and not catching any passes he is borderline worthless

Locker sucks but if the coaching staff designed check-down outlets or called screens, CJ would have more receptions. So has anyone actually been watching these games? heh

seriously, why not get your best player, and one of the most explosive players in the nfl, in open space? mind boggling

ETA just checked NO Tennessee rb was targeted week 1, and there were 2 rb targets week 2. one of them to CJnopassesthrownhiswayK

This is the same offense that had Jared Cook under lock(er) and key.

And now is doing the same with kendall Wright.

Set`em Free, Tennessee!

Chris Johnson has a high floor due to his volume of carries; highly doubtful he'll net you a goose egg unless he were to leave a game hurt.

OTOH, with his lack of goal line carries and passing game participation, he has a low ceiling. He needs to break one to turn in more than 9-10 points. That's risky to count on, needless to say.

The real test is going to be next week against a porous SD defense. I still think that CJ is going to get his this year and justify his ADP. Locker looks horrible which is actually a good thing concidering that Tenn has relied on the run. If he keeps getting the carries he will make his numbers.

Chris Johnson has a high floor due to his volume of carries; highly doubtful he'll net you a goose egg unless he were to leave a game hurt.

OTOH, with his lack of goal line carries and passing game participation, he has a low ceiling. He needs to break one to turn in more than 9-10 points. That's risky to count on, needless to say.
He did get two carries inside the 10 against Pittsburgh in week one... then left the game and someone else scored. I did not see the game against HOU... are we sure he won't get any goal line carries

He did get two carries inside the 10 against Pittsburgh in week one... then left the game and someone else scored. I did not see the game against HOU... are we sure he won't get any goal line carries
From the parts I saw he was in the game inside the 10 against Texans.

weebs said:
Steeler said:
just_want_2_win said:

From the parts I saw he was in the game inside the 10 against Texans.
He had 9 RZ "looks" (A "look" is any chance to score: a rushing attempt, a target, or a passing attempt. The Redzone is the area between the opponent's 20 yard line and goal line.) in Week 1 and just 2 in Week 2.

Steeler said:
just_want_2_win said:

he about ran into a wall. Battle looks like Alstott or some classic FB banging in there or Brandon Jacobs or Bam Morris or...there was a very clear difference in effectiveness of short yardage running. Battle was far better than CJ.

i thought this was thread about the lack of targets (1 through 2 games, terrible) to cj not goal line carries

i thought this was thread about the lack of targets (1 through 2 games, terrible) to cj not goal line carries
yeah, this. If he gets a couple TDs week 3, but again 0-1 receptions it may be time to consider selling him in PPR (if you can get high value in return).

I think CJ's value goes up (or maybe it's just hope) now that Locker is out of the picture. Locker would either throw deep or scramble and vulture the goal line looks that were supposed to go to CJ. I have no idea how Fitzgerald will fare against the Chiefs front 7, but I suspect we see a lot more checkdowns to CJ, and a lot less of the deep throws that have made Nate Washington and others fantasy relevant lately. And that worries me too as a Washington owner, but maybe CJ gets a nice bump with Locker outta there.

I think CJ's value goes up (or maybe it's just hope) now that Locker is out of the picture. Locker would either throw deep or scramble and vulture the goal line looks that were supposed to go to CJ. I have no idea how Fitzgerald will fare against the Chiefs front 7, but I suspect we see a lot more checkdowns to CJ, and a lot less of the deep throws that have made Nate Washington and others fantasy relevant lately. And that worries me too as a Washington owner, but maybe CJ gets a nice bump with Locker outta there.
More receptions, less first downs, more turnovers (?)

Unless, they purposely try to lean more on him, I'm not feeling the upgrade.

In non-PPR, it's probably a downgrade or a wash at best. But in PPR, receptions offer a safe double digit floor. Some days it's all you ask for anymore from the guy you picked in the 2nd round over Peyton Manning. :topcat:

Lets Chris Johnson catch the ball in open space and he scores a 49 yd TD. Imagine that.
this didn't happen

The QB was about to be sacked and he flipped it to CJ out of desperation and he took off.
Yes, I saw the highlight but CJ got the ball in space and busted one out.

There's also the fact that he got 5 targets, and made 4 catches.
Yes he dangerous in space and it's maddening on many levels they don't try and put him in a position to succeed. His TD was basically a broken play he turned into a TD but until that last meaningless drive Fitz hardly looked his way. On almost every pass play CJ either stayed in to block or ran a screen to the left and Fitz would turn his back to him and never look that direction.

What really gets me is this comment from Fitz below which leaves me shaking my head why it had to take basically a broken play to see it happen:

“That’s just on the fly. I’m kind of running around and saw CJ getting up off the ground and threw it to him,” Fitzpatrick said. “His specialty is when he gets in space, so he made a nice little run.”

I started CJ yesterday and feel that one lucky play is only thing that prevented a crapper of a game. For the most part nothing changed yesterday, Fitz is no more willing to throw the ball to CJ than Locker. Again keeping in mind he had one catch I think until that last meaningless drive.

Now we have the OC saying he's going to look at everything and make changes with getting the running game going and likely benching Britt but I have no confidence in this situation at all. At least not until the schedule eases up.

His schedule definitely eases up in November, but with Seattle, SF and a bye on the menu for the next three weeks, considering other options is the way to go...till November.

His schedule definitely eases up in November, but with Seattle, SF and a bye on the menu for the next three weeks, considering other options is the way to go...till November.
I'll probably target him a week or 2 from now then...in the leagues I dont have him.

I havent been happy with the production, but he hasnt disappointed me to the degree where Ive soured on him.

Imo he is going to break out after his bye. I don't understand why Tenn gives j battle gl looks...he's terrible

Imo he is going to break out after his bye. I don't understand why Tenn gives j battle gl looks...he's terrible
Everyone on the field knows he's getting the ball and he just barrells right into the pile for 1/2 yard or no gain. Complete waste.

Per RW:

Titans OC Dowell Loggains believes Chris Johnson needs to be more involved in the passing game.
Johnson has just eight catches in five games, four of which came on Sunday. With Johnson looking as timid as ever between the tackles, the Titans have to find ways to get him in space, and re-involving him in the passing game would be an excellent start. Johnson will be a good bet to catch 3-4 passes against the Seahawks.
https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/388397783503626240

financewonk said:
Per RW:

Titans OC Dowell Loggains believes Chris Johnson needs to be more involved in the passing game.

Johnson has just eight catches in five games, four of which came on Sunday. With Johnson looking as timid as ever between the tackles, the Titans have to find ways to get him in space, and re-involving him in the passing game would be an excellent start. Johnson will be a good bet to catch 3-4 passes against the Seahawks.
https://twitter.com/PaulKuharskyNFL/status/388397783503626240
Duh......Wonder what took so long. Maybe seeing that he broke one of his half dozen catches for a 50 yard td.

Very true, but if the Titans were a good team with a top OL(they're not) then they'd get it done against a top D too.

Can't wait until after his bye. For owners who survive until then you will be rewarded.
His schedule looks nice after the bye but he also has some horrible playoff matchups in weeks 14/15 vs. the Broncos and Cardinals. If you can live without him in those games you get him week 16 against the Jags.

Users who are viewing this thread