What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cleveland WR (1 Viewer)

Good question.

GM Farmer keeps talking about "free agency" - does anyone really want Santonio Holmes or Miles Austin?

A trade must be made.

Possible targets?

Nate Burleson is old but reliable once his arm heals up. Hawkins is serviceable. Nobody else on the roster is even worth an afterthought. Haha Little...

Hmmm I hadn't thought about it much but Nate Burleson gets upgraded slightly because of the Gordon trade.

They must of known for a couple of months, explains the over payment

Browns signed WR Andrew Hawkins, formerly of the Bengals, to a four-year, $13.6 million contract.
The Bengals had until midnight to match the Browns' offer sheet but informed Hawkins they weren't going to do so. Four years and $13.6 million with a $5.8 million first-year cap number is a hefty price to pay for a 5-foot-7, 180-pound jitterbug slot receiver, but the Browns badly needed a talent infusion on offense. Hawkins can turn simple plays into monster gains with his speed. Tavon Austin drew some Hawkins comparisons last April. Hawkins will be the No. 3 option in the passing game, behind target monster Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. Mar 18 - 3:17 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
I they truly did know two months ago then they could have signed a WR2 type. Hawkins is purely a slot guy.

There will be some cuts coming up. May not be soon enough for the Browns. There has been talk in Miami of Gibson or Matthews being cut. (not sure how they would fit). Also from Miami, Mike Wallace has been mentioned as trade bait. There is talk in Buffalo of TJ Graham being cut. Stephen Hill sucks, but Jets may be looking to deal him for cheap. Huge long shot, the 49ers trade Crabtree. They may not be able to afford him next year.

I believe Farmer has it under control. Their maybe a chance nothing happens to Gordon. The worst decisions are made under panic mode. Settle down theirs plenty of time to rectify this issue.

I find it really hard to believe that Cleveland has known about this for 2 months but has done nothing about it. If they even had a hint that it might be true, their #1 priority in the draft should have been a WR and with the #4 overall they would have their choice of anybody. Even after it came public, they didn't pick any WR's. This just doesn't make any sense.

They should just get Holmes. He may be a headcase with feet made out of breadsticks, but he can step in and be a legitimate threat right away.

I find it really hard to believe that Cleveland has known about this for 2 months but has done nothing about it. If they even had a hint that it might be true, their #1 priority in the draft should have been a WR and with the #4 overall they would have their choice of anybody. Even after it came public, they didn't pick any WR's. This just doesn't make any sense.
good post.

fwiw, i've been reading for months that Cameron would basically be the #2 reciever in Shannahan's offense.

Hawkins would be #3, and the basic idea would be that they would try to be a run first offense.

obviously, Gordon would've added a huge extra dimension to this offense, but i get the feeling philosophically this team does not value a true #1 WR the way other teams might.

so they may not be worried about adding a guy if they think Burelson and someone else can do enough to keep the offense moving.

adding another experienced WR would not be a bad idea though, imo.

I posted this in the Browns thread and was pretty much chastised as a "sky is falling" type. And that was for saying they should have taken Lee in round 2.

also i'm not that familiar w Kyle's offense, but if the WR1 primarily stretches the field, Benjamin may be able to do that to a certain extent.

Current CLE depth chart:

Gordon (for now)

Benjamin - inj

Hawkins

Little

Burleson - inj

Cooper

Charles Johnson - inj

Tori Gurley

Chandler Jones

Conner Vernon

Willie Sneed

Hawkins, Benjamin and Cooper are somewhat undersized guys.

Burleson has experience, while Johnson and Little have more size.

I would say Little but I was really looking forward to Cleveland moving on from him.

There are a few WR situations that will be in flux. Carolina is another, any others?

@NFL_ATL: From @RapSheet on Total Access: Miles Austin and Santonio Holmes are two names for Browns fans to monitor at wide receiver.

duaneok66 said:
good post.
Don't follow much CLE sports? Most folks would be scrambling around after their #1 WR & probably biggest offensive threat got popped with a possible 1-year suspension followed closely by the guy lining up on the other side breaking his arm in OTA's. Cleveland calls that Tuesday :coffee:

The storm cloud is perpetually over our city and as a fan, we shrug it off and move on. We went 4-12 with the #1 WR in the league last year after spotting everyone 2 games and troop of circus clowns tossing him the rock. You're telling me it can be worse? I laugh in your general direction :P

Yeah I think he is but who else are they going to throw to?
A trade is (almost) a necessity. Without Gordon, they have the worst set of WRs in the league (even behind Carolina).
I definitely agree they would have one of the worst, but I think CAR may have them beat in that (worst WR group) category.

Jordan > Olsen

Burleson > everyone else
Burleson IMO is not better than Cotchery and I'm not completely convinced Jordan is better than Olsen after one year of play.

A trade is (almost) a necessity. Without Gordon, they have the worst set of WRs in the league (even behind Carolina).
I definitely agree they would have one of the worst, but I think CAR may have them beat in that (worst WR group) category.Jordan > Olsen

Burleson > everyone else
How is Jordan> Olsen? Olson's track record is longer and better.

I definitely agree they would have one of the worst, but I think CAR may have them beat in that (worst WR group) category.Jordan > Olsen

Burleson > everyone else
How is Jordan> Olsen? Olson's track record is longer and better.
I think Jordan Cameron has more upside. Jordan is definitely the supreme athlete and his best year is better than Olsen's best year. Also consider Olsen has had more opportunities to have his best season. Both players had career years last season but the difference is that Jordan Cameron's came during his season.

Why didn't they trade down with Buffalo for 2015 1st + Stevie Johnson instead of the 1st & 4th?

Because it would have made too much sense?

Maybe Patriots willing to part with Amendola...?

I posted this in the Browns thread and was pretty much chastised as a "sky is falling" type. And that was for saying they should have taken Lee in round 2.
I wanted a WR but Lee wasn't it. Not sure a warm weather guy coming off a pretty good knee injury going to an outdoor stadium with some pretty crappy weather is a recipe for success. :shrug:

There will be some cuts coming up. May not be soon enough for the Browns. There has been talk in Miami of Gibson or Matthews being cut. (not sure how they would fit). Also from Miami, Mike Wallace has been mentioned as trade bait. There is talk in Buffalo of TJ Graham being cut. Stephen Hill sucks, but Jets may be looking to deal him for cheap. Huge long shot, the 49ers trade Crabtree. They may not be able to afford him next year.
Haven't seen anything from a 'credible' source, but their was some idle chatter about the Browns sending out feelers on Crabtree's availability.

Here is the 49ers WR corps.

Boldin

Crabtree

Brandon Lloyd

Stevie Johnson

Bruce Ellington

Jon Baldwin

Tony Pauline reported how it could be an interesting situation with the 49ers and Crabtree as he's going into a contract year this season, they just resigned Boldin, signed Lloyd, traded for Johnson, and drafted Ellington so maybe they really could be looking into dealing him this off-season.

One of the primary reasons the Bills dished Stevie-Styles-Johnson was due to contract implications. They took a hit just to get rid of him before his contract really started to bog them down so the Niners will face the same contract issues.

Their front office loves their mid-round future draft picks and they will have a problem next year at the WR position trying to juggle all of those contracts.

Bottom line they can't afford to keep them all, someone will get cut and depending on who they cut they could take a needless cap hit that is unless they trade someone away and the new team would take the hit.

So even though I haven't see a 'credible' source pick up the Crabtree chattter, it makes sense for the Niners esp since Kaepernick is due for a HUGE payday and that could press them up against the cap in future years.

Crabtree could be a good fit.

don't think i'd give him a new contract, but if he plays well for them this year?

Crabtree + Gordon (if he gets a 4 or 8 game suspension?) i'll sign up for that.

Why would you touch this? Hoyer or a rookie QB. Maybe I take a shot on Cameron being that good but not with a ten foot pole am I touching a Cleveland WR not named Gordon and doubly so with Gordon out.

Why would you touch this? Hoyer or a rookie QB. Maybe I take a shot on Cameron being that good but not with a ten foot pole am I touching a Cleveland WR not named Gordon and doubly so with Gordon out.
At some point, there is value on every team. VJax is an outlier obviously, but. . .

Worst 2 passing offenses in 2013:

31. NYJ - 2,932 yds, 13 TD's

32. TB - 2,820 yds, 22 TD's

18, 60, 65, 80, 83, 87 WR's in PPR Avg per Game

23, 29 TE's in PPR Avg per Game

This will be interesting to follow through the summer and through training camp and pre-season.

Good Luck, Mr. Farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread