What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cliff Avril, DE - Lions (1 Viewer)

blend

Footballguy
Devon: Cliff Avril came on strong again this year at the end of the season. Do you think that he is just an end of the year guy, or is he just adapting and learning the playbook by then? Do you see a big year from him?

Tom Kowalski: It was a tough year for Avril, who went through a hamstring injury that really affected his confidence. It wasn't from a physical standpoint, but mentally because he felt he was letting his teammates down. I remember talking to him at the time and he said that he was walking around and running around and he appeared to be 100 percent. However, the hamstring didn't allow him to get any explosion so it looked like he just wasn't playing well - and you can't walk through the locker room every day saying to every teammate 'Hey, I'm hurt, I'm hurt.'

There's another issue here, though. Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham had high hopes for Avril going into the season and he just didn't live up to them (when he was healthy). All the physical skills are there, but Cunningham often said that Avril lacked that nasty streak that most of the great defensive ends have - something Avril didn't dispute. Avril, though, doesn't believe he needs to change his personality to be effective, but he does admit that he needs to take his game to the next level.

Going into training camp, a lot will depend on how fortunate the Lions were in landing some new defensive ends. If they get one in the second round - like Brandon Graham, for example - he's going to get a long look. The Lions still like Avril, but the coaching staff's patience will start to run a little thin.

I really thought Avril had all the skills to really excel after his rookie year, but last year he was not effective. I'm not sure how much this "hamstring" injury caused his issues, but if he felt it did impact his abilities, perhaps you can get him from an impatient owner....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told from people that he didnt' have the attack instinct and is a tad too small to be a consistent pass rusher.

I can believe that maybe he lacks the tenacity to be a dominant DE, but his size doesn't matter, he is as big or bigger than Freeney who is one of the most dominant and consistent pass rusher in the game. There are many very good DE's in that same size mold, but if you lack the heart or drive to be dominant you will remain average.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can believe that maybe he lacks the tenacity to be a dominant DE, but his size doesn't matter, he is as big or bigger than Freeney who is one of the most dominant and consistent pass rusher in the game. There are many very good DE's in that same size mold, but if you lack the heart or drive to be dominant you will remain average.
I agree. If u are undersized, u HAVE to have the heart to be the best, from the sounds of it, he doesn't have the drive.

Avril needs to stay healthy and play hard every snap. He seemed to take snaps off, but it was hard to say (at certain times) if that was just him, or partly the injury. If he played hard (and was healthy) every snap, he would see 10+ sacks every year, which would make him a top 20-25 DL in most scoring systems. I personally still like his upside a lot, but he has to translate upside into production.

When Avril has been "on" his first step and finishing instincts are almost Ware-esque. I think the addition of a McCoy/Suh next to him could spike his numbers to an elite DE level - look at what Haynesworth did for KVB/has done for Carter. I still see him as a buy right now.

What happened to Dwayne White last year and is he done in DET as well?
From Tom K article this morning:Here's a list of players (with base salaries) who might be on the bubble: * Defensive end Dewayne White ($4 million): Limited by injuries the past couple years, White has been productive when healthy, but his future might be determined by Detroit's course in the draft -- or the Lions' pursuit of free agents such as Aaron Kampman and/or Kyle Vanden Bosch.

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole confirms that the Lions are expected to sign free agent Kyle Vanden Bosch by Friday.

Coach Jim Schwartz didn't wait outside Vanden Bosch's house for nothing early Friday morning. It's unclear how much the Lions are willing to pay the 31-year-old, but his addition could seal Dewayne White's fate in Detroit.

is this bad or good for Avril ???

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole confirms that the Lions are expected to sign free agent Kyle Vanden Bosch by Friday.

Coach Jim Schwartz didn't wait outside Vanden Bosch's house for nothing early Friday morning. It's unclear how much the Lions are willing to pay the 31-year-old, but his addition could seal Dewayne White's fate in Detroit.

It can't hurt. The Lions also traded for Corey Williams and he will play inside, which is where he was very successful with Green Bay...so successful that he was their franchise player prior to being traded to Cleveland for a 2nd rounder. Factoring these 2 moves in plus the expected drafting of Suh or McCoy, the line should be much improved. That being said, Avril's success is pretty much on him. He has to bring it every snap and stay healthy. If he does both, I think 10+ sacks is easily attainable.

It can't hurt. The Lions also traded for Corey Williams and he will play inside, which is where he was very successful with Green Bay...so successful that he was their franchise player prior to being traded to Cleveland for a 2nd rounder. Factoring these 2 moves in plus the expected drafting of Suh or McCoy, the line should be much improved. That being said, Avril's success is pretty much on him. He has to bring it every snap and stay healthy. If he does both, I think 10+ sacks is easily attainable.
Well, with Suh or McCoy, trading for CWilliams and if they get KVB, if Avril doesn't produce in 2010 he never will, easy as that.

:rolleyes:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/...sch_will_p.html

ALLEN PARK - Oops. When the Detroit Lions re-signed veteran defensive end Jared DeVries on Monday, the belief was that he and Kyle Vanden Bosch would share time at left defensive end - with Vanden Bosch being the likely starter.

It turns out, that belief was only partly accurate. Vanden Bosch will be a starter, but he'll be doing it at right defensive end. Vanden Bosch, who signed a four-year, $26 million free agent contract, has played both the right and left side during his eight-year career.

There will be competition for the starting spot on the left side with DeVries and Jason Hunter being the most likely candidates. DeVries was a three-year starter at that spot before missing all of last season with a torn Achilles' tendon. Hunter started nine games at left end last season while Cliff Avril, who will likely see some playing time on both sides, started three games at left end.

:wall:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/...sch_will_p.html

ALLEN PARK - Oops. When the Detroit Lions re-signed veteran defensive end Jared DeVries on Monday, the belief was that he and Kyle Vanden Bosch would share time at left defensive end - with Vanden Bosch being the likely starter.

It turns out, that belief was only partly accurate. Vanden Bosch will be a starter, but he'll be doing it at right defensive end. Vanden Bosch, who signed a four-year, $26 million free agent contract, has played both the right and left side during his eight-year career.

There will be competition for the starting spot on the left side with DeVries and Jason Hunter being the most likely candidates. DeVries was a three-year starter at that spot before missing all of last season with a torn Achilles' tendon. Hunter started nine games at left end last season while Cliff Avril, who will likely see some playing time on both sides, started three games at left end.
Its just a ploy to motivate Cliff Avril

:wall:

:dud:

Link

Lions are thrilled with Cliff Avril's intensity

By Tom Kowalski

April 23, 2010, 10:05PM

ALLEN PARK -- Friday afternoon, there was a buzz of activity when a website reported (or tweeted or whatever) that the Detroit Lions had sent defensive end Cliff Avril to the Miami Dolphins for a fifth-round draft choice.

After a few phone calls -- and a lot of stern denials -- it was clear the Lions were not trading Avril.

In fact, the Lions actually are very happy with Avril's approach to the offseason. He showed up with an extra 10 pounds of muscle and has been working very hard during the offseason workouts.

Avril, who has a better relationship with new defensive line coach Kris Kocurek than he did with the recently retired Bob Karmelowicz, has turned up his intensity.

Defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham said last year that Avril needed to develop more of a nasty streak if he was going to become a more consistent and effective pass rusher. So far, by all accounts, Avril plans to push Jared DeVries and Jason Hunter for that starting left defensive end position.

via twitter... Avril had surgery on his finger on Tuesday. I'm guessing it won't keep him out at all. I know he had finger and ankle injuries against the Bears

Users who are viewing this thread