What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clinton Portis (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
Washington Times

Portis slowed by knee injury

By Ryan O'Halloran

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

May 17, 2007

4:08 p.m.Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis missed the team's offseason practice Wednesday and Thursday to have his knee examined by team consultant Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala.

Director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer said Portis has patella tendinitis in the knee. Portis missed half of last season with shoulder and hand injuries, but has not missed any time in his career with lower-body ailments.

Portis, who has rehabilitated his offseason surgeries in Miami and Northern Virginia, complained of soreness on Tuesday.

"He had some soreness in the knee, but he described that he could run and work out on it and it would be fine the next day," coach Joe Gibbs said. "This week, it bothered him after the workout day so we decided to have it looked at."

Gibbs said the tendinitis didn't develop because Portis was working out too often and too hard. He has been limited in the offseason practices as his shoulder and hand recover.

Tyer wouldn't guess on how long Portis would be held from running.

"He has to get some therapy, strengthen his quadriceps, stretch his hamstring and he'll be fine," Tyer said. "We had it looked at to make sure it was OK and we think we're OK."

Not sure what to make of Portis moving forward....I traded him this past offseason for Steve Smith in a league where I had oodles of RB depth and no sure fire #1 WR..............He is still relatively young,but does have some baggage on the wheels.......Then you have the Betts fiasco and this looks like a dodgy situation in 07...................

Not sure what to make of Portis moving forward....I traded him this past offseason for Steve Smith in a league where I had oodles of RB depth and no sure fire #1 WR..............He is still relatively young,but does have some baggage on the wheels.......Then you have the Betts fiasco and this looks like a dodgy situation in 07...................
At this point I think I'd rather take a stud WR over Portis in round 2. After taking Lamont Jordan last year, I'm really looking to avoid land mines at RB.

I have petella tendonitis in both knees and it is an annoying thing to have but with stretching and keeping good care of your body it is not to bad.

It sucks when I play jumping sports like basketball, volleyball, but as long as I warm up properly I am usually ok. If I take an antinflammatory before sports it is not even noticeable and way better after an activity. If you ice properly and rest it, it really is not as bad as it seems. It is an injury you can definitely play with and not even notice you have it.

With the care Portis will be receiving he will be fine.

I have petella tendonitis in both knees and it is an annoying thing to have but with stretching and keeping good care of your body it is not to bad. It sucks when I play jumping sports like basketball, volleyball, but as long as I warm up properly I am usually ok. If I take an antinflammatory before sports it is not even noticeable and way better after an activity. If you ice properly and rest it, it really is not as bad as it seems. It is an injury you can definitely play with and not even notice you have it.With the care Portis will be receiving he will be fine.
I'm not sure that is going to ease the worry of Portis owners. You need anti-inflammatories and lots of ice anytime you engage in physical activity. For a RB with lots of wear and year for his age, this is not exactly comforting.

I was on the side of Portis rebounding with a very good season in '07 but adding this to his other ailments is certainly reason to downgrade him in your rankings a little going forward. It is certainly looking like this year is a time to go RB/WR or even WR/WR in the first two rounds depending on where you draft from. Should make for an interesting second round.

I suspect every vet RB in the league has knee tendonitis to some degree. Most of these guys are relatively heavy for the "size" and have been running HARD since freshman year in high school. Knees wear out under those conditions.

However, as Carter said, it's something that can be managed for quite a while before it becomes a big issue.

At this point I think I'd rather take a stud WR over Portis in round 2. After taking Lamont Jordan last year, I'm really looking to avoid land mines at RB.
50% of high RBs bust. If we knew beforehand which 50% that would be, then we wouldn't be drafting them so high, now would we?

I have petella tendonitis in both knees and it is an annoying thing to have but with stretching and keeping good care of your body it is not to bad. It sucks when I play jumping sports like basketball, volleyball, but as long as I warm up properly I am usually ok. If I take an antinflammatory before sports it is not even noticeable and way better after an activity. If you ice properly and rest it, it really is not as bad as it seems. It is an injury you can definitely play with and not even notice you have it.With the care Portis will be receiving he will be fine.
I'm a disabled Vet with patella tendinitis in both knees, and you're spot on. Everything you described is exactly how I was some years back. I could do most of the things I wanted, but I had to prepare myself. Lots of stretching, along with glucosamine chondroitin sulfate, ice, proper rest and I was good to go most times. It got worse over time, mostly from all the cortisone shots I took, and I did blow my right knee out snapping my patella-femoral ligament, MCL and a vertical tear in my ACL (not related to the tendinitis). My left knee, patella tendinits only, has also taken a turn for the worse. I'm a few years older now, not in Marine Corps shape, and after a night of softball I'm done for the next couple of days. My cartilage and meniscus is now totally shot in both knees. I'm not ready to give up all sports so I still put up with the pain.Based on my experience, there is no reason why Portis cannot continue to play at a high level for the next four, quite possibly even more, years. He'll get much better medical attention than I ever got, plus he's a professional athlete who won't get lazy like I did. It was an easy choice for me at the time to move on, collect a disability check every month, and find a new career. Portis is far from having to decide anything like that. I think he'll be fine too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portis is going to be great value this year.
I'm not sure I want to gamble my season on an oft-injuried "2nd round value" RB.People drop for a reason. This isn't the "Duckett dropping CP to RB22" by Dodds, this is lots of injuries, and now in 2007 he's still hurt. Even if RBs are healthy, it's hard to make it through a season. Starting off semi-injured (Culpepper is a decent example) is never good.

pulled this off of a skin's message board:

(troy fakeman)

For clarification and peace of mind...I asked a very close friend of mine, Casey (xanathos19 on ES), who is the Sr. Exercise Physiologist for the Duke University Division of Cardiology, about Tendonitis and how it might impact Clinton's season. Here is what he had to say:

Quote:

Any time you see "-itis" after something, it means inflammation...that's what "itis" means. So, this is just inflammation of the patella tendon...basically an overuse injury...lost of athletes get this, especially after injuries like Portis has had. Your tendon starts to rub against the patella bone and can cause some pain, because the tendon is inflamed...lots of that synovial fluid that is alreadty in the joint collects in the area and congests it a bit. Just makes the front of your knee sore...sometimes get crepitis (that cracking feeling when you bend your knee). Wouldn't get too excited about it, unless it becomes a chronic problem...I think they're probably just trying to nip it in the ### and make sure there's nothing else structurally wrong with the knee. rest and anti-inflammatory's can take care of it.

Casey P.Norris, MS, CPFT

Sr. Exercise Physiologist

Cardiac Diagnostic Unit

DUMC - Division of Cardiology

Hopefully this will pass and we can have a healthy CP destroying NFC East foes all season long.

Have a great week guys, and

Portis is going to be great value this year.
I'm not sure I want to gamble my season on an oft-injuried "2nd round value" RB.People drop for a reason. This isn't the "Duckett dropping CP to RB22" by Dodds, this is lots of injuries, and now in 2007 he's still hurt. Even if RBs are healthy, it's hard to make it through a season. Starting off semi-injured (Culpepper is a decent example) is never good.
If he's healthy he's far better than 2nd round value. I would put him right up there with S. Jackson and L. Johnson were there no injury concerns. Since there are, he will drop, and it is worth the risk to obtain a player with that talent.

This is not a guy with knee problems in the past. This is a five-year veteran RB with normal aches and pains, and a team that is certainly not going to do anything to exacerbate a sore knee in May. To me, this means nothing. Talk to me in late July and August if this is still a problem, and even then I'm not sure tendonitis is going to worry me much.

As for Betts, I love the guy but you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to do anything more than spell Portis.

(troy fakeman)

For clarification and peace of mind...I asked a very close friend of mine, Casey (xanathos19 on ES), who is the Sr. Exercise Physiologist for the Duke University Division of Cardiology, about Tendonitis and how it might impact Clinton's season. Here is what he had to say:

Quote:

Any time you see "-itis" after something, it means inflammation...that's what "itis" means. So, this is just inflammation of the patella tendon...basically an overuse injury...lost of athletes get this, especially after injuries like Portis has had. Your tendon starts to rub against the patella bone and can cause some pain, because the tendon is inflamed...lots of that synovial fluid that is alreadty in the joint collects in the area and congests it a bit. Just makes the front of your knee sore...sometimes get crepitis (that cracking feeling when you bend your knee). Wouldn't get too excited about it, unless it becomes a chronic problem...I think they're probably just trying to nip it in the ### and make sure there's nothing else structurally wrong with the knee. rest and anti-inflammatory's can take care of it.

Casey P.Norris, MS, CPFT

Sr. Exercise Physiologist

Cardiac Diagnostic Unit

DUMC - Division of Cardiology

Hopefully this will pass and we can have a healthy CP destroying NFC East foes all season long.

Have a great week guys, and
:goodposting:

keep putting these stories out. I'm also hoping that Betts shows up for camp 5 pounds lighter and in the best shape of his life....Look at what Rod Smith played through last year, this is a non-story.

(troy fakeman)

Quote:

:lmao: Bud is filtered but nip isn't?

keep putting these stories out. I'm also hoping that Betts shows up for camp 5 pounds lighter and in the best shape of his life....Look at what Rod Smith played through last year, this is a non-story.
Ummm, he wasn't exactly useful last year either.But I do agree that this is being blown way out of proportion. Unless it's actually much worse and they are just calling it tendonitis.

I will be dropping Portis down my list some because I think there are enough warning signs to point to Portis being a high risk. He is still pretty young but has had a few injuries already. Betts could have recieved a lot of attention on the free agent market yet the Redskins managed to offer him a deal he was willing to sign. Portis is still being bothered by some ailments.

My feeling is that in the very least the Redskins will use Betts a fair amount to keep Portis' carries down to try to preserve him. I would say it is doubtful that I will be drafting Portis because someone will probably be willing to reach for him earlier than what I will.

:hijack: I often wonder in threads like this... how many are portis or betts owners - tough to get an unbiased response around here with news like this :hijack: over

I will be dropping Portis down my list some because I think there are enough warning signs to point to Portis being a high risk. He is still pretty young but has had a few injuries already. Betts could have recieved a lot of attention on the free agent market yet the Redskins managed to offer him a deal he was willing to sign. Portis is still being bothered by some ailments.
Prior to last year Betts career numbers were 321-1271 (3.95) - 5 over 4 seasons. He would have had A. Thomas, C. Brown, TJ Duckett, K. Barlow type of free agent interest if Portis wasn't hurt in the preseason and then again during the season. Betts did a very good job filling in for Portis but consider if Tomlinson went down and M. Turner came in and tore it up, would Tomlinson then be in an RBBC once he got healthy? Of course not. Portis is much more talented than Betts, last year, the year before, this year and next year.

Director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer
Pointless sidetrack: wasn't that some seriously fatty OL, I think that played for the Rams? Not sure I'd want him as Director of sports medicine.
has not missed any time in his career with lower-body ailments.
GB that and GDB lower body ailments. He's back on my draft list. ie avoid like the plague. :lmao: Be interesting to see if stories like this persist during the summer how much he will drop.

Prior to last year Betts career numbers were 321-1271 (3.95) - 5 over 4 seasons. He would have had A. Thomas, C. Brown, TJ Duckett, K. Barlow type of free agent interest if Portis wasn't hurt in the preseason and then again during the season. Betts did a very good job filling in for Portis but consider if Tomlinson went down and M. Turner came in and tore it up, would Tomlinson then be in an RBBC once he got healthy? Of course not. Portis is much more talented than Betts, last year, the year before, this year and next year.
Portis has had several injuries in his productive career. I too believe that Portis is much more talented than Betts but the fact still is Washington was willing to pay to keep Betts around. I also believe that Washington made some promises to Betts on how he will be used going forward to get him to sign his contract. We all have our opinions but I am of the opinion that Washington plans to use each of these guys to help keep them both fresh and healthy in 2007. The Tomlinson comparison is not a good one. Portis is no Tomlinson. We can each have our own opinions but I believe Betts limits Portis' touches enough to keep Portis out of the top 10 in 2007.

Portis has had several injuries in his productive career. I too believe that Portis is much more talented than Betts but the fact still is Washington was willing to pay to keep Betts around. I also believe that Washington made some promises to Betts on how he will be used going forward to get him to sign his contract. We all have our opinions but I am of the opinion that Washington plans to use each of these guys to help keep them both fresh and healthy in 2007. The Tomlinson comparison is not a good one. Portis is no Tomlinson. We can each have our own opinions but I believe Betts limits Portis' touches enough to keep Portis out of the top 10 in 2007.
SD has kept Turner around despite several teams interest. We see it time and time again in the NFL. Teams need to have 2 better than average RBs and teams are trending this way a bit. Gibbs has always been known for liking his RBs.I own both.

I too believe that Portis is much more talented than Betts but the fact still is Washington was willing to pay to keep Betts around. I also believe that Washington made some promises to Betts on how he will be used going forward to get him to sign his contract. We all have our opinions but I am of the opinion that Washington plans to use each of these guys to help keep them both fresh and healthy in 2007. The Tomlinson comparison is not a good one. Portis is no Tomlinson. We can each have our own opinions but I believe Betts limits Portis' touches enough to keep Portis out of the top 10 in 2007.
Betts signed a 5 year $11 mill deal which is a little over $2 mill/year which is good backup money. Mike Anderson makes more in Balt, Turner makes more in SD, etc. I don't doub that Betts will get the ball but there are plenty of carries to go around in Wash. Last year Wash finished 8th in carries with 490 so even in a 70/30 split which it may end up being about 330 carries for Portis and 140 for Betts. 330 carries @ 4.4 ypc and 10 td's puts Portis at 1500 yards (200 yrds rec) and about 8th in RB scoring last year. A few more carries or a few more td's and he's Willie Parker, top 5. This is an Al Saunders offense that loves to run-run and run some more and I don't see that changing. I wasn't comparing Portis to LT (although a few years ago he was considered better by many) but the idea of a good backup filling in well for a very good starter. At the end of the day Betts is getting paid good backup money because he's a good backup.

Portis and Betts owner here.. wish this came out before my draft... I would of dropped back even farther then.. portis was 1.11 in my 14 teamer, Betts was a 10th rounder (Heavey Tackle IDP league)

Director of sports medicine Bubba Tyer
Pointless sidetrack: wasn't that some seriously fatty OL, I think that played for the Rams? Not sure I'd want him as Director of sports medicine.
Nope, at least not to my knowledge. Tyer was first hired as the trainer by George Allen back in 1972 IIRC, and has been the trainer for the 'Skins ever since, except for a brief hiatus when Schottenheimer dismissed him; Gibbs brought him back a few years later when he returned to coaching.

If owner of [insert player's name] then... 'A torn ACL is nothing these days with the medical improvments, you can have it repaired on tuesday and not miss any time'

If not owner of [insert player's name] then... 'That guy has a history of injuries... A broken nail is all that is needed for that super backup that played well last year to move up on the depth chart'

Is there anybody in here who doesn't have tendonitis of one kind or another.
Almost everybody who plays a "running sport" long enough will probably experience knee tendonitis to some degree at some point. That's kind of the point though, it's VERY common, and quite manageable. Is it good? No, it means his knees are starting to object to their abuse. But it probably won't have any significant effect on his abilities for quite some time - at least if it's the garden variety.

Chris Smith (who's rankings i like a lot by the way) just dropped him 10 spots in his dynasty RB rankings.

Is that just based on the Tendinitis news? if so that might be a bit of an over-reaction.

It's definitely not a good thing, but i'd bet at least 90% of RB's have had some sort of minor Tendinitis in their knee at one time or another during their careers, but it usually isn't even reported on.

One of my operating axioms of fantasy football is that, all things being equal, people tend to overreact to breaking news that could affect a player's playing status, and it's more true the more minor the incident is.

Buy low (or if you have the backup, sell high).

It's definitely not a good thing, but i'd bet at least 90% of RB's have had some sort of minor Tendinitis in their knee at one time or another during their careers, but it usually isn't even reported on.
If this is true, they why would they only report it about Portis? If just about everyone had it, it would be a non story. I don't see this as being good for Portis's long term potential.

This is not a guy with knee problems in the past. This is a five-year veteran RB with normal aches and pains, and a team that is certainly not going to do anything to exacerbate a sore knee in May. To me, this means nothing. Talk to me in late July and August if this is still a problem, and even then I'm not sure tendonitis is going to worry me much. As for Betts, I love the guy but you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to do anything more than spell Portis.
Portis has something like 1,600+ carries/touches in his short little 5 year career. He is definitely on his way down, not up at this poiint. He has a lot of carries for a 26 year old RB...I'm not saying he is thru, but I wouldn't be trading for him in dynasty leagues.

This is not a guy with knee problems in the past. This is a five-year veteran RB with normal aches and pains, and a team that is certainly not going to do anything to exacerbate a sore knee in May. To me, this means nothing. Talk to me in late July and August if this is still a problem, and even then I'm not sure tendonitis is going to worry me much. As for Betts, I love the guy but you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to do anything more than spell Portis.
Portis has something like 1,600+ carries/touches in his short little 5 year career. He is definitely on his way down, not up at this poiint. He has a lot of carries for a 26 year old RB...I'm not saying he is thru, but I wouldn't be trading for him in dynasty leagues.
Agreed.He's had a little less work then Jamal Lewis, but not by much. And people think Lewis is done.

If this is true, they why would they only report it about Portis? If just about everyone had it, it would be a non story. I don't see this as being good for Portis's long term potential.
Most of the time you don't hear about guys getting shots for inflamation, although almost all RB's get shots during their careers.It's the offseason, any news at all gets reported now since there is nothing really going on yet.It's not good news, but it is about as minor as news can be. Certainly not enough to worry too much about at this point.

I ran cross country for about 6-7 years and ended up with patella tendinitis in my right knee. If I could run through it, one would assume that an athlete of Portis' caliber would be more than able to deal with it.

This is not a guy with knee problems in the past. This is a five-year veteran RB with normal aches and pains, and a team that is certainly not going to do anything to exacerbate a sore knee in May. To me, this means nothing. Talk to me in late July and August if this is still a problem, and even then I'm not sure tendonitis is going to worry me much.

As for Betts, I love the guy but you're kidding yourself if you think he's going to do anything more than spell Portis.
Agreed.He's had a little less work then Jamal Lewis, but not by much. And people think Lewis is done.
:popcorn: Portis has less than 1400 carries in his career and no leg injuries.

Lewis spent one season on the shelf with a blown knee (for the second time in his career; the first was in college) and another season more recently looking fat and washed up after he didn't train much during the offseason because of incarceration. He's two years older than Portis and has more than 400 more carries. He's also around 30 lbs. heavier. How on earth is he comparable?

pulled this off of a skin's message board:(troy fakeman)

For clarification and peace of mind...I asked a very close friend of mine, Casey (xanathos19 on ES), who is the Sr. Exercise Physiologist for the Duke University Division of Cardiology, about Tendonitis and how it might impact Clinton's season. Here is what he had to say:Casey P.Norris, MS, CPFTSr. Exercise PhysiologistCardiac Diagnostic UnitDUMC - Division of CardiologyHopefully this will pass and we can have a healthy CP destroying NFC East foes all season long.Have a great week guys, and
Is anyone else thrown off that the Senior Exercise Physiologist at a leading university like Duke Medical Center doens't have a doctorate or medical degree in some form? Not taking away that guy's opinion, I just expected something else.IMO this is a total non-story. It's tendonitis, not torn ligaments.

If owner of [insert player's name] then... 'A torn ACL is nothing these days with the medical improvments, you can have it repaired on tuesday and not miss any time'If not owner of [insert player's name] then... 'That guy has a history of injuries... A broken nail is all that is needed for that super backup that played well last year to move up on the depth chart'
too bad, i guess no one can comment. let's all go home. :thumbup:

One injured season and Portis is suddenly done. Despite him playing and producing very well during that injured season before he was forced out. Keep it up guys, I would love Portis as my RB#2 this coming season.

:thumbup: Portis has less than 1400 carries in his career and no leg injuries.

Lewis spent one season on the shelf with a blown knee (for the second time in his career; the first was in college) and another season more recently looking fat and washed up after he didn't train much during the offseason because of incarceration. He's two years older than Portis and has more than 400 more carries. He's also around 30 lbs. heavier. How on earth is he comparable?
Who said anything about leg injuries.He's had a little less work then Jamal Lewis, but not by much. And people think Lewis is done.

And yes, 1,400 carries is less, that's why I said less. I'll try to avoid using code like that.

Regardless is 1,500 touches at the age of 26 is fairly significant.

Tomlinson is turning 28 years old this year. He has had 2448 total touches and is still the number 1 RB in dynasty.

Yet Portis at the age of 26 with 1543 touches ( a thousand fewer than Tomlinson) is an injury concern that many people will be avoiding :thumbdown: ?

Portis had missed a grand total of 4 games in the previous 4 years of his playing career before last season. He is known as a tough player. I think people are a little bit skewed by what took place last year. If Portis had missed plenty of time in his career or if he again has an injury riddled season this year I would then agree that next year he should slip down draft boards (which I don't think will happen as he will perform this year).

If he slips this year you are missing out on a great RB. He will make many owners happy this year as he will produce RB 1 numbers and can be had in many drafts as an RB 2.

Tomlinson is turning 28 years old this year. He has had 2448 total touches and is still the number 1 RB in dynasty. Yet Portis at the age of 26 with 1543 touches ( a thousand fewer than Tomlinson) is an injury concern that many people will be avoiding :rolleyes: ? Portis had missed a grand total of 4 games in the previous 4 years of his playing career before last season. He is known as a tough player. I think people are a little bit skewed by what took place last year. If Portis had missed plenty of time in his career or if he again has an injury riddled season this year I would then agree that next year he should slip down draft boards (which I don't think will happen as he will perform this year). If he slips this year you are missing out on a great RB. He will make many owners happy this year as he will produce RB 1 numbers and can be had in many drafts as an RB 2.
He has injury problems from last year and a backup RB who played awesome, is said to be better in the Redskins offense because he hits the holes harder, and was paid a nice contract. I think Betts getting carries to keep Portis fresh is more of the concern than the injury, but both combined is what is making him drop.I don't think you can discount Betts.

Users who are viewing this thread