What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (2 Viewers)

Rodriguez, Santiago & Rodney all have a Save and are FA. Which is the best option going forward here? Assume Santiago b/c the other 2 are clearly filling in due to injury?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rodriguez, Santiago & Rodney all have a Save and are FA. Which is the best option going forward here?
I have absolutely no idea. I'd probably rank them Rodney, Santiago, Rodriguez with no confidence at all. That's simply a wild guess on who has the best shot of getting saves for most of the season.Farnsworth will be out a very long time and Rodney very well could run away with it by then.Santiago is a complete wildcard, but there's potential there for him to be the main guy most of the season. He could've just got his only save of the season last night, but at least there's not an established closer waiting in the wings.HenRod is in a committee until Storen gets healthy, which might could be fairly soon.

Rodriguez, Santiago & Rodney all have a Save and are FA. Which is the best option going forward here?
Santiago is a complete wildcard, but there's potential there for him to be the main guy most of the season. He could've just got his only save of the season last night, but at least there's not an established closer waiting in the wings.
The day before, Reed pitched the 7th, Thornton the 8th and Santiago was warming for the 9th. I'd say it's a pretty good trend.

Still too early to tell in Chicago. Thornton came on in the 8th during tied games. Crain is still there too.

So is Santiago the closer? Should he be valued more than Broxton?
Santiago was the closer in AAA two years ago and again for the first half of last season until Herrera came up at which point Herrera became the closer in Omaha. The Royals have an abundance of pitchers who could fill that role - Broxton, Holland, Santiago and Herrera. They also have former prospect Jeffress down on the farm. The lesson to be learned here is with so many options, I am fairly sure this will be a closer by commitee approach.

Rodriguez, Santiago & Rodney all have a Save and are FA. Which is the best option going forward here? Assume Santiago b/c the other 2 are clearly filling in due to injury?
I'd go Rodriguez because he appears to be the best one of the 3. Worst case, you're going to get a ton of K's from him.

With Storen hurt and Jansen in waiting (hopefully), who'd the best RP to fill in for saves?...

League, Brandon RP SEA

Guerra, Javy RP LAD

Francisco, Frank RP NYM

Lidge, Brad RP WAS

Rodney, Fernando RP TB

Balfour, Grant RP OAK

Johnson, Jim RP BAL

Rodriguez, Henry RP WAS

Santiago, Hector RP CHW

Javy Guerra to cover the LA RP spot over Jansen since he's holding on now?

With Storen hurt and Jansen in waiting (hopefully), who'd the best RP to fill in for saves?...League, Brandon RP SEAGuerra, Javy RP LADFrancisco, Frank RP NYMLidge, Brad RP WASRodney, Fernando RP TBBalfour, Grant RP OAKJohnson, Jim RP BALRodriguez, Henry RP WASSantiago, Hector RP CHW Javy Guerra to cover the LA RP spot over Jansen since he's holding on now?
LeagueBalfourGuerra

With Storen hurt and Jansen in waiting (hopefully), who'd the best RP to fill in for saves?...League, Brandon RP SEAGuerra, Javy RP LADFrancisco, Frank RP NYMLidge, Brad RP WASRodney, Fernando RP TBBalfour, Grant RP OAKJohnson, Jim RP BALRodriguez, Henry RP WASSantiago, Hector RP CHW Javy Guerra to cover the LA RP spot over Jansen since he's holding on now?
LeagueBalfourGuerra
I say LeagueFranciscoJohnsonBalfourGuerra

LeagueBalfourGuerra
I say LeagueFranciscoJohnsonBalfourGuerra
Francisco's the best pitcher of those 5, but the guy can't stay healthy.

Addison Reed is the guy to own in Chicago, IMO. Aside from Thornton, he has the best skills of the White Sox relievers.

Addison Reed is the guy to own in Chicago, IMO. Aside from Thornton, he has the best skills of the White Sox relievers.
So, if all 4 are on the wire, you are grabbing the guy with the 2nd best skills and 3rd best opportunity?Not that I doubt Reed could end up with the most saves, but it seems odd to call him "the guy to own".

So, if all 4 are on the wire, you are grabbing the guy with the 2nd best skills and 3rd best opportunity?Not that I doubt Reed could end up with the most saves, but it seems odd to call him "the guy to own".
1st best skills, 4th best opportunity. Hopefully you're not scrambling for saves this early in the game, assuming that's not the case go with the best skills and hope it works out. If you're scrambling already that's a different story.

1st best skills, 4th best opportunity. Hopefully you're not scrambling for saves this early in the game, assuming that's not the case go with the best skills and hope it works out. If you're scrambling already that's a different story.
I just do t the roles are defined yet. They have yet to carry a lead into the 7th or 8th. We have no history on Ventura to see how he handles these things. So far Thornton has been called on in high leverage situations and I'm not sure of Crain has pitxhed yet. I think it's still up I the air. There's a possibility 3-4 guys get 10+ saves this year

I was reading quickly, but didn't Ventura say something like he wanted Thornton in middle relief? Might have misread. That is why I put Reed over him. At this stage in the game, I think it is important to grab skills.

Is there anyone else who can close in Boston? Bailey might be out a few months, this is gonna get ugly (although they won't have to play the Tigers every series).

I'm not scrambing for saves, but I think opportunity matters more than skills. Though, I was more commenting that if someone sees Reed as #2 in skills, with #3 opportunity, there's no way I'd grab him (outside of incredibly deep leagues).If we're talking about RPs with a limited sample size (Reed has 9 IP in his entire major league career), I'm taking the guy closing games NOW. Or the guy next in line.

Reed might be the best RP in that pen and he may end up with the most saves, but I'm not burning a roster spot on it at this point in the season.

Too many speculative impact bats out there to waste a spot on a talented reliever waiting on his chance to close (that may not come this season).

I'd argue Reed's the type of guy you only own if you're scrambling for saves.

Is there anyone else who can close in Boston? Bailey might be out a few months, this is gonna get ugly (although they won't have to play the Tigers every series).
Bard.
I think they'll have to lose quite a few more for that to happen, their starters don't look that great either besides Lester.
I saw a little scuttlebutt for Padilla and he's the guy I'm going to go for. To me, he's got that ballsy, go after you, mentality. Melancon is a shrinking violet and I don't like Aceves stuff in that role. Mind you, I love ace as a starter or middle man, but he won't blow you away. And again, not saying Padilla will, but I'm guessing he's next in line and I'm going to pull the trigger on him tomorrow probably after I get a little wiggle room to make a roster move. He threw 50 pitches today, so I don't think he'll be in that slot tomorrow, but I THINK he'd be the shark move.

Bard.
I think they'll have to lose quite a few more for that to happen, their starters don't look that great either besides Lester.
I saw a little scuttlebutt for Padilla and he's the guy I'm going to go for. To me, he's got that ballsy, go after you, mentality. Melancon is a shrinking violet and I don't like Aceves stuff in that role. Mind you, I love ace as a starter or middle man, but he won't blow you away. And again, not saying Padilla will, but I'm guessing he's next in line and I'm going to pull the trigger on him tomorrow probably after I get a little wiggle room to make a roster move. He threw 50 pitches today, so I don't think he'll be in that slot tomorrow, but I THINK he'd be the shark move.
You might be right but the first pitch Padilla threw today was 57 mph. It wasn't a knuckleball. :mellow:

Santiago was the closer in AAA two years ago and again for the first half of last season until Herrera came up at which point Herrera became the closer in Omaha. The Royals have an abundance of pitchers who could fill that role - Broxton, Holland, Santiago and Herrera. They also have former prospect Jeffress down on the farm. The lesson to be learned here is with so many options, I am fairly sure this will be a closer by commitee approach.
Was talking about Santiago (CWS)

Was talking about Santiago (CWS)
Ventura just said he was the closer FWIW. Wish I would have known this Friday, ####### White Sux.

'pollardsvision said:
Too many speculative impact bats out there to waste a spot on a talented reliever waiting on his chance to close (that may not come this season).
That's where I am too. Once I've figured out my bats there are usually more bench spots to speculate on saves. I made a point of it to get 3 of the top 20 or so closers this year and am happy I just didn't feel right about Madson and Storen was going a bit too early because I thought it looked very messy in the bottom 10 and I didn't really want to deal with it in April.

'pollardsvision said:
That's where I am too. Once I've figured out my bats there are usually more bench spots to speculate on saves. I made a point of it to get 3 of the top 20 or so closers this year and am happy I just didn't feel right about Madson and Storen was going a bit too early because I thought it looked very messy in the bottom 10 and I didn't really want to deal with it in April.
I probably should've done that. I'll be okay with saves, but it's currently eating up 8 of my 35 roster spots (all current, but shaky closers, plus Storen). It sucks having to leave some upside bats on the wire to make room for all these dirtbags.Aceves is getting his walking papers this morning. I hate cutting guys before they officially lose the role, but I'd rather let someone else grab that hot potato (and hope they drop somebody decent).

Storen might be out a bit longer.

Adam Kilgore ‏ @AdamKilgoreWP

Drew Storen will visit Dr. James Andrews after feeling tenderness in his elbow during a sim game. Nats fear bone chip.

'pollardsvision said:
I probably should've done that. I'll be okay with saves, but it's currently eating up 8 of my 35 roster spots (all current, but shaky closers, plus Storen). It sucks having to leave some upside bats on the wire to make room for all these dirtbags.Aceves is getting his walking papers this morning. I hate cutting guys before they officially lose the role, but I'd rather let someone else grab that hot potato (and hope they drop somebody decent).
You're rostering 8 current closers???

'pollardsvision said:
You're rostering 8 current closers???
7, plus Storen. 6 now that I gave Aceves the boot.Betancourt, Marshall, Francisco, Lidge, Broxton, and Santiago.Really, it's just 3 mediocre, 2 crappy, and 1 that's in a committee until Storen gets back (thought that could be a very long time).I screwed up at the auction, wimped out on the bidding for some of the hitters I wanted and had too much money towards the end. I ended up having to waste money on a bunch crappy closers.

6 now that I gave Aceves the boot.
:popcorn:
I'll put in a small bid to get him back, but I know it'll fail. Somebody cut Rizzo yesterday, and I'd rather have him. I didn't cut him thinking he'd never get a save though. It was premature, but I was tired of looking at a roster full of RPs. I'm also interested to see who another team cuts to pick him up.If it does come back to haunt me, it won't be the first or last time I've screwed up being impatient.

'Annyong said:
'shuke said:
Santos just screwed the pooch again.
He really stinks this year. It can't be that soon until it's Cordero time in Toronto.
Cordero sucks.
so does Santos, thus far.
You can't just switch your closer whenever the wind changes direction. Santos had a good track record last season. He's not like some of the other trouble closers this spring who were fill-ins to begin with. I think they'll give Santos a decent chance to work out of this.ETA: OK, so I'm partially wrong here:
@yahoonoise: Francisco Cordero slated to close Thurs-Sat for Jays. Santos' wife scheduled to give birth. #bluejays

@yahoonoise: Francisco Cordero slated to close Thurs-Sat for Jays. Santos' wife scheduled to give birth. #bluejays
This is good. Needs some time to regroup.
Got the save today.
Its very possible his mind was elsewhere with that going on... I was targeting him because he has the skills to do that job well and Cordero's K/9 has dropped to a pathetic rate over the past few seasons. I'm buying low :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread