What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Closers 2012 (2 Viewers)

Bochy is supposedly going with a committee of Romo, Casilla and Javier Lopez. Affeldt may also end up in the mix.

According to a lot of what I have been reading, we need to pay attention if the Giants call up Heath Hembree.

Committee night for the Giants. Casilla opens the 9th in a SV opp, gives up an infield hit and gets lifted for Javy Lopez and a LHB-LHP matchup.

Committee night for the Giants. Casilla opens the 9th in a SV opp, gives up an infield hit and gets lifted for Javy Lopez and a LHB-LHP matchup.
String of lefties due up there..... Doubt it's the norm and doubt he gets yanked if he gets the first batter out.

Oh boy,

Is Lidge finally out of the picture? I wish Davey would just announce it (so I could drop him), but I know it won't be so simple.

I know Frank has some leash, but he's got to be towards the end of it, right? It seems like it's time to grab Rauch and wait to hear news of the elbow troubles Frank's been trying to play through.

marshall and jim johnson is why you wait for closers
I wouldn't even consider these guys great examples. If you drafted close to opening day, both of these situations were pretty set.H-Rod, Rodney, whoever comes out on top in SF, Broxton - That's why you wait on closers.

I wouldn't even consider these guys great examples. If you drafted close to opening day, both of these situations were pretty set.H-Rod, Rodney, whoever comes out on top in SF, Broxton - That's why you wait on closers.
Actually almost all those are bad examples. Fighting people who know what they are doing on the waiver wire is very difficult, securing a Motte, Rivera or Papeldoosh at the draft saves a ton of headaches. Marshall and all the guys you listed were born because of injuries and doesn't require any skill in acquiring. You are either closer to a computer when you get the news, you have a higher waiver priority or you outbid the other owner in auction waivers. I had Brian Wilson and wasn't spending the $27 it took to get Casilla on the waiver wire, and I wasn't near a computer when I got the Wilson news so I lost out in the other two leagues as well. Same goes for Marshall, Rodney and Broxton. Only Johnson was a guy that falls into the category of why you wait on closers.

I drafted April 1. Marshall wasnt officially named closer, I got him very late. Johnson wasnt officially named closer and he went undrafted. I scooped him up right after the draft

Are we packing it in on Aceves yet or what?
One more ####fest and yes. I think Boston is best served by using Bard as the stopper, not the closer. Jon Rauch may be getting a chance to close soon, consider him. Gone in all three of my leagues already.

Not that it matters for waiver grabs, but I saw a tweet about Lidge going on the DL.

Not even listed on ESPN yet, but Olney's retweeting it.

At least now we can drop his sorry ###.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jansen with the save for LA tonight. Guerra only pitched 2/3 of an inning last night and hadn't pitched for a few days before then.

Thornton with the save in Chicago today. Santiago unavailable or just bad?
"It is nothing against Hector, he still will be in there in the ninth, but you're looking at guy with a body of work against those three guys," Ventura said after the game. "I felt confident leaving Matt in there."

Thanks for the -11 today Heath :thumbdown:
Dood. :confused: -2 in a non save appearance today:25 PC, INN, HA, BBI, 2 ER, HB
This jerk is killing me. I already lost Bailey so I can't afford to lose another closer. I picked up Cishek for two reasons: 1. He pitched the 9th inning in a tie game at home this past Saturday (FWIW, neither he nor Mujica pitched the day before and Mujica did not pitch in this game).2. On April 17th, Cishek pitched in a tie game in the top of the 8th inning. Mujica and Cishek both last pitched on April 14th so they were equally rested. Manager felt better going with him I guess...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the -11 today Heath :thumbdown:
Dood. :confused: -2 in a non save appearance today:25 PC, INN, HA, BBI, 2 ER, HB
This jerk is killing me. I already lost Bailey so I can't afford to lose another closer. I picked up Cishek for two reasons: 1. He pitched the 9th inning in a tie game at home this past Saturday (FWIW, neither he nor Mujica pitched the day before and Mujica did not pitch in this game).2. On April 17th, Cishek pitched in a tie game in the top of the 8th inning. Mujica and Cishek both last pitched on April 14th so they were equally rested. Manager felt better going with him I guess...
I like Cishek better than Mujica because of Mujica's flyball tendencies and high HR rate. Juan Carlos Oviedo aka Leo Nunez is going to get a visa at some point and become the next in line.

So how much longer is the moron in Miami going to keep putting Bell out there? Cishek is next in line, no?

So how much longer is the moron in Miami going to keep putting Bell out there? Cishek is next in line, no?
CBS is saying that it's going to be Mujica
Cishek's role seems to be changing in his first year under manager Ozzie Guillen, who appears to be using the right-handed reliever as a workhorse. Cishek posted a 2.63 ERA as a rookie in 2011 and he even recorded three saves. However, Edward Mujica is likely first in line for saves should something happen to closer Heath Bell. Cishek has marginal Fantasy appeal without regular save chances, but he could be used in very deep Head-to-Head formats if he keeps racking up the innings.

Users who are viewing this thread