What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Broncos rookie WR Cody Latimer recorded his first NFL catch in Week 10 against the Raiders, gaining nine yards.

He got a garbage-time catch with Brock Osweiler in the game. The 56th overall pick in May's draft, Latimer has been a healthy scratch for several games so far this season. The promising 22-year-old still carries plenty of Dynasty value.

Nov 9 - 7:51 PM

I'm holding him for 2016. I like his talent a lot but there are a lot of mouths to feed right now. He may miss the Peyton window if that is the case.

Don't forget that Julius Thomas got hurt today too with an ankle. Decent chance Latimer will get some looks next week. I'll be watching the injury report although it will be tough to start him in fantasy with no idea about how he would be used.

This kid could've a nice one week play if sanders is out. Hope to have some clarity today as waivers run tonight

Thomas is out it will be tamme if sanders is out I'm think Cadwell will fill in. I'm shocked Latimer isn't gonna get a shot.

I'm really surprised they aren't trying to get him in on the games where they are blowing the other team out. They want to win a championship this year and he was ranked as one of the best WR's in the class this year, which has shown to be a ridiculously good class. Don't you think they'd at least want to see what they have in him? He's not a RB or a lineman or someone who risks getting their star QB clobbered, so I don't see what they're doing.

If he's as good as he was expected to be and as good as they think he is, he should be out there and not Caldwell. If they were sprinkling him in earlier in the season when the games were blowouts then he might be ready to go by now. It just doesn't make any sense to me their lack of usage.

Even if they don't need him at all for this year, don't they want to know what they have in him for next year considering Thomas and Welker will be FA?

Maybe there's something along the lines of Patterson to him that's making the coaches feel he's not ready yet (at all, it seems)

Two words: John Fox
Yes and anyone concerned about what not being active means to Latimer's long term future should let those concerns wash away. You should also spend this offseason trying to buy him on the cheap from the disgruntled owner that does not understand the John Fox way.

A few posts above it was asked who should start. The answer is Latimer and over Welker and Caldwell-who at this point I think has more to offer than Welker. Latimer may still be raw but I think he would not only add a dynamic weapon to their passing game but Bronco's keep saying they had him rated in their top 5 or 6 rookie WR's in no small part due viewing him as best blocking WR in the draft. I think that skill set is especially nice to have when you feature a non-blocking TE like Thomas and finesse players like Sanders and Welker. So I think he'd be an asset to both their passing and running game but what I think or who I think should be starting means nothing.

The person that will be the next man up is Caldwell, like he's been all season long. Sanders being out will likely lead to Latimer seeing some snaps but I'm not getting my hopes up it would be anything usable or lead to a more usable role this season. I think he needs injuries to two of the top 4 WR's this season.

Next year, just got to wait for it.

Sanders moved up to exercise today so there is a solid chance he plays this weekend...tough SOB
For those that have watched Sanders closely, is he likely to tough this out and play Sun? Is he like Anquan Boldin, where you'd literally have to remove a limb to keep him off of the field?

Sanders moved up to exercise today so there is a solid chance he plays this weekend...tough SOB
For those that have watched Sanders closely, is he likely to tough this out and play Sun? Is he like Anquan Boldin, where you'd literally have to remove a limb to keep him off of the field?
Being cleared in the concussion protocols has nothing to do with toughness. He has to pass a series of tests given by both the team and an independent DR. Doesn't matter if you are the toughest SOB on earth. Don't pass the test, don't play.

Take this with a grain of salt as this is just something I heard on NFL radio a while ago. I have been following along and the longer he doesn't play the more I think it is likely to be true.

A caller who has ties to the Broncos said that Lattimer literally carries cheat sheets in his sock because he can't remember all the plays and Peyton hates him because he is always in the wrong spot.

The caller usually has very good stuff on the Broncos and the longer this goes on the more likely it is to be true in my opinion. Maybe next year but this guy is not getting it now.

Im sure its a lot to take in, in your rookie season. Trying to keep up with a qb who is constantly adjusting things at the line. So you have to know your offense and then all the other stuff peyton needs you to know and react to on the fly, i would buy that peyton doesnt trust him right now. Add that to the fact that even with injuries last week, theyre not exactly desperate for wr that are fluent in peyton.

Would love for him to get some work this season tho, build that experience and confidence up a bit

Loan Sharks said:
Take this with a grain of salt as this is just something I heard on NFL radio a while ago. I have been following along and the longer he doesn't play the more I think it is likely to be true.

A caller who has ties to the Broncos said that Lattimer literally carries cheat sheets in his sock because he can't remember all the plays and Peyton hates him because he is always in the wrong spot.

The caller usually has very good stuff on the Broncos and the longer this goes on the more likely it is to be true in my opinion. Maybe next year but this guy is not getting it now.
Interesting.

A look at some rookie WR seasons with Peyton:

Pierre Garcon 4 catches for 23 yards.

Austin Collie 60/676

Reggie Wayne 27/345

Anthony Gonzalez 37/576

Jerome Pathon 50/511

Manning just hasn't worked with that many rookies of note at WR. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Latimer wasn't up to speed on the offense. Some guys are just slower at picking up offenses than others. Peyton obviously requires his WRs to be able to adapt quickly at the LOS.

Basically, I wouldn't read too much into it. If it's still a problem next year, then there may be a real issue.

Broncos Wide Receivers under contract for 2015:

Emmanuel Sanders

Andre Caldwell

Cody Latimer

Jordan Norwood

Isaiah Burse
Yeah, but what are the odds that Demaryius doesn't stay with Denver? I'd expect Welker to go. I would think they would re-sign Julius too, but there is no way they let DThomas walk, right? Insiders...am I wrong?

Emmanuel Sanders

Andre Caldwell

Cody Latimer

Jordan Norwood

Isaiah Burse
Yeah, but what are the odds that Demaryius doesn't stay with Denver? I'd expect Welker to go. I would think they would re-sign Julius too, but there is no way they let DThomas walk, right? Insiders...am I wrong?
2015 cap numbers:

P. Manning - $21,500,000.

R. Clady - $10,600,000.

Von Miller - $9,754,000.

D. Ware - $8,666,666.

That is $50 million+ for 4 players. Can they pay Demaryius enough for him to stay? He is under paid now.

Emmanuel Sanders

Andre Caldwell

Cody Latimer

Jordan Norwood

Isaiah Burse
2015 cap numbers:P. Manning - $21,500,000.

R. Clady - $10,600,000.

Von Miller - $9,754,000.

D. Ware - $8,666,666.

That is $50 million+ for 4 players. Can they pay Demaryius enough for him to stay? He is under paid now.
I would think if it came down to JT or DT, they would let JT walk. Can they resign one and franchise the other?

Emmanuel Sanders

Andre Caldwell

Cody Latimer

Jordan Norwood

Isaiah Burse
2015 cap numbers:P. Manning - $21,500,000.

R. Clady - $10,600,000.

Von Miller - $9,754,000.

D. Ware - $8,666,666.

I would think if it came down to JT or DT, they would let JT walk. Can they resign one and franchise the other?
just a guess, but IMO DT is a much higher priority than Julius. I think privately the coaches blame Julius for the running game woes, and his lack of ability in the running game may spell his end in Denver, given the salary he will no doubt demand.

One out - sign DT, franchise Julius. If Julius doesn't figure out how to block by 2016, let him walk.

Also to note, they have to re-sign Chris Harris (possibly the best performing CB in the league), Knighton (anchor of the DL), and Von Miller's contract is coming due soon.

Gonna be interesting.

I personally don't think Julius should be a priority at all for them. They offered him what they thought was fair already and he declined. He wants to get paid top 3 TE and based on his numbers he should. Can't blame him, but I don't think he's anywhere near top 3 TE talent at TE in the league. Let him walk. They'd be fine with a Tamme or someone similar if it means they can keep Demaryius.

I saw him in a few snaps last night, while I was having dinner with family at the place with 'no rules' but is 'just right'. Anything to see or did I literally catch the only snap he played?

I saw him in a few snaps last night, while I was having dinner with family at the place with 'no rules' but is 'just right'. Anything to see or did I literally catch the only snap he played?
You literally caught the only snap he had. 1 offensive snap, 7 on special teams.

Rotoworld:

Cody Latimer - WR - Broncos

The Broncos' website expects Cody Latimer to take on a bigger role next season.

Latimer appeared in just eight games (37 snaps) as a rookie, spending the entire year behind Andre Caldwell. With Wes Welker considering retirement and not expected to be re-signed, Latimer should open 2015 as Denver's No. 3 receiver. Latimer's snaps could be limited by Gary Kubiak's dual-tight end scheme, but his breakout potential is high in a Peyton Manning offense. Latimer should play outside in three-wide sets, with Emmanuel Sanders moving to the slot.

Source: denverbroncos.com

Feb 14 - 7:36 PM

Color me a bit worried. Not enough to bail on him, but not exactly counting my future rings to be sure.

I think Denver was deep enough at WR that they had other options even as injuries piled up. But if the rumors about slow uptake in the playbook and audibles are true, we have no idea if it's a lack of capacity to learn it, or just a rookie being a bit slow to learn it.

I mean, you hate to see every first year with a new OC as a throw away year because the guy is a slow learner. I don't remember any concerns about his learning capacity in the scouting reports. But then again, it would explain how a WR ends up being considered "raw" coming out of a division I school. They maybe didn't ask him to do much because they knew they couldn't. And they don't want to hurt the kid so they might not advertise that fact when he moves on up. Maybe "raw" is the modern label for a slow kid that is basically a good kid with good athleticism.

As an owner I am holding, but if I weren't, I don't know that I'd be trying too hard to acquire him either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Cody Latimer - WR - Broncos

The Broncos' website expects Cody Latimer to take on a bigger role next season.

Latimer appeared in just eight games (37 snaps) as a rookie, spending the entire year behind Andre Caldwell. With Wes Welker considering retirement and not expected to be re-signed, Latimer should open 2015 as Denver's No. 3 receiver. Latimer's snaps could be limited by Gary Kubiak's dual-tight end scheme, but his breakout potential is high in a Peyton Manning offense. Latimer should play outside in three-wide sets, with Emmanuel Sanders moving to the slot.

Source: denverbroncos.com

Feb 14 - 7:36 PM
So should i draft him with my first rounder? :unsure:

JamesTheScot said:
Color me a bit worried. Not enough to bail on him, but not exactly counting my future rings to be sure.

I think Denver was deep enough at WR that they had other options even as injuries piled up. But if the rumors about slow uptake in the playbook and audibles are true, we have no idea if it's a lack of capacity to learn it, or just a rookie being a bit slow to learn it.

I mean, you hate to see every first year with a new OC as a throw away year because the guy is a slow learner. I don't remember any concerns about his learning capacity in the scouting reports. But then again, it would explain how a WR ends up being considered "raw" coming out of a division I school. They maybe didn't ask him to do much because they knew they couldn't. And they don't want to hurt the kid so they might not advertise that fact when he moves on up. Maybe "raw" is the modern label for a slow kid that is basically a good kid with good athleticism.

As an owner I am holding, but if I weren't, I don't know that I'd be trying too hard to acquire him either.
Where did you see that? I just figured he was getting the John Fox rookie experience package.

Users who are viewing this thread