What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collectively, A Thread To Celebrate Our Kids Athletic Accomplishments (3 Viewers)

64% tuition covered by the school may be the best offer he'll get on any level. All things being equal, that alone should weigh pretty heavy, especially if he likes the school and would want to go there even if he's not playing ball there. You made a good point to him about self-promotion, though I will say that being on the radar sometimes is like having just a toe in the door.

I've said a lot in the past and don't want to start :grad: again, though I do want to advise you/your son to be his biggest advocate. I saw too many arms either go to waste or get ruined during my son's time in college, and even at DIII, coaches demand results, sometimes to the point of burning out their best arms. Wherever he plays, his conditioning and durability is going to be his responsibility alone.

Best of luck to him wherever he chooses to go, and keep us updated.

Love reading through this thread. My boy is finishing up his XC season at Montana State. He redshirted this year but made it through the whole year without injury, the first time this has happened since his freshman year in HS. He is running 55 miles per week - I think in the past 10 weeks he has run more than he did in his whole HS career. Up next is indoor season and he is thinking now that he actually was recruited really to run the 800. I don't think they redshirt kids for indoor and if he does well and stays healthy he should be good to wear the uniform for spring track. And Montana State qualified for Nationals, one of only 31 D1 teams to make it.
Are injuries in XC that common?

@Gally

My son as you know is a freshman at his D3 school and is elated with his decision.

He had two D2 offers as well.

He made the right choice 1000%

And BTW there are plenty of D3 schools that would beat plenty of D2 schools…..it’s about a lot of factors but most importantly where is your best chance to play and play a lot all other things being equal.

Last edited:
Had an official visit to a D3 school over last weekend. I really liked the coach and his philosophy on developing players as well as an overall person. Likes to have two way players as opposed to pitchers only (provided the player can earn the spot for both positions). The coach was really genuine and wants to build a culture and tradition for his teams moving forward. Wants to build with freshman and use transfers to fill in where needed as opposed to transfers being the primary recruitment method. He believes this will build the team culture and tradition to bring in players in the future.

It was a really good visit. He offered my son a spot but since it's D3 there is no athletic scholarship opportunity. He saw my son pitch at the Arizona showcase at the end of September and called direct to set up the visit. They are losing 7 pitchers after this year and thinks my son fits the program needs and that he can really build him up strength wise to capitalize on his arm slot and current mechanics. Doesn't want to change what he is doing just minor adjustments to maximize what he is already doing. Really good compliments and seems to know what he is talking about. I was really impressed.

My son liked the campus and the area. He liked the players and coach as he got to see their weight lifting practice and stayed the night in the dorms with a couple players. Went to a basketball game and got the school indoctrination. He liked all of it .............other than it being a D3 school. He wants to play D2 and I think he has the ability to do so. I asked him if this was a D2 school with everything else being the same would he want to go there and he said "probably". So it really comes down to his ego (?) of wanting a shot to play in a higher division.

The coach wants an answer by the end of January. We also got the academic scholarship offer yesterday and it came in at 64% of the tuition cost. Quite a big number.

As far as D2 interest, he has one school that is interested but wants to see how his season goes and hasn't made any "offer" at this point. I think he needs to go back to them letting them know he has an offer from another school and ask where he stands at this point for the D2 school. I have also told him that if he really wants to go D2 he needs to do some more self promotion to schools he would be interested in to start trying to get on their radar. If he doesn't do that he likely won't get much pursuit.

I am torn in that I think this D3 opportunity is really good. He will have a good shot of playing early and get significant play time. He can have a real shot of being a two way player. The school is a good school and the cost is doable with the 64% scholarship. But I also think he could play at a D2 given the opportunity. I am just not sure how much of an opportunity he will get at this point. He needs to be a lot more assertive to get his name out there. I am not sure how likely that is for him.

Bottom line it's up to him. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

I am rooting for him to go D3 and have an awesome experience playing a college sport which is something that not many kids have an opportunity to experience…sounds like a great fit for him…unfortunately most kids don’t fully understand what the talent difference is between D1-D2-D3 and just assume they can show up to a D3 school and be the man and many times they get a very rude awakening as to how good it actually is (not directing this at your son just general commentary)…besides the non-athletic school fit I feel like the most important thing is the ability to actually play if you are doing the right thing…far too many people (and especially the kids) do not realize there is a huge difference between being on a college team and playing on a college team (especially the D1/D2 and D2/D3 tweeners)…my son’s lax team has about 50 kids and they only play about 20 a game and I would say about 20 of the other 30 have almost no chance of playing all season unless it is a blow-out…if playing a sport is important to you you want to avoid being in that situation if you can.

Last edited:
@Gally

My son as you know is a freshman at his D3 school and is elated with his decision.

He made the right choice 1000%

And BTW there are plenty of D3 schools that would beat plenty of D2 schools…..it’s about a lot of factors but most importantly where is you best chance to play and play a lot all other things being equal.
@Gally I might be a little biased being from wisconsin but the D3 wisconsin conference is one of the best in the nation. I think you are correct that the school and athletic fit is more important than the D3 vs D2 distinction. Might be our part of the country but we do not hear anything about division 2 schools. Guess we don't have them.

Would love to being going through the same thing soon as my oldest is a junior and just made the varsity basketball team and already was on the Varsity baseball team last year as a sophomore.

And BTW there are plenty of D3 schools that would beat plenty of D2 schools…..it’s about a lot of factors but most importantly where is you best chance to play and play a lot all other things being equal.
We are well aware that not all D1-D2-D3 schools are created equal. That includes throwing in NAIA as well. I have no doubt there are some D3 schools that could routinely beat some D1 schools. There are great players everywhere.

One of things we have talked about is what he wants out of playing at the next level. For example, do you want to play a lot at a lesser school (and I don't mean that as D3 vs D1 - just talent level quality of the team itself) or be in a better program and maybe not play or play minimally (especially early on). Some kids want the bigger school experience even if they don't get game time. They like the comradery of being on a good team and practicing and being part of the group. Other's would rather lose every game they play as long as they are playing in the game. Bottom line you really have to look at what you want out of it. What will make you happy.

The biggest dilemma is that he really likes the D2 school. It really is close between the two. They are very similar in majors, both campuses are nice, coaches seem to be quality guys. They are really close in almost all aspects. It's just one has a guaranteed spot at the moment and the other is still evaluating. Decisions, decisions. Like I said, he has some decisions to make. And that doesn't include any other school that could reach out as his season goes (although I doubt there is much of that unless he starts reaching out himself no matter how well he does).

I think he would be happy in either place. I just really liked the D3 coach's approach and how genuine he seemed. Plus I believe there is something to be said for being done with the process and just playing your senior year with no pressure on what is going to happen next. Problem is that it's not my decision..hahahah.

I admit I'm unabashedly biased towards D3, so much so that I'll pimp the ONLY DIII baseball podcast in existence. I met these guys when my son was playing a DH against Catholic U., who were big players in my son's region at the time. They knew his name based on his accomplishments as a freshman; I was impressed by the extent of work they put into knowing the landscape of all of D3. They travel around the country, catching games in every region. One is a former DIII player, so this is a subject close to home for him. Maybe there's a podcast for DII, but it's stuff like this that makes the college sports experience that much more fun.

Love reading through this thread. My boy is finishing up his XC season at Montana State. He redshirted this year but made it through the whole year without injury, the first time this has happened since his freshman year in HS. He is running 55 miles per week - I think in the past 10 weeks he has run more than he did in his whole HS career. Up next is indoor season and he is thinking now that he actually was recruited really to run the 800. I don't think they redshirt kids for indoor and if he does well and stays healthy he should be good to wear the uniform for spring track. And Montana State qualified for Nationals, one of only 31 D1 teams to make it.
Injuries in running are quite common. As my son has learned in college, "everyone runs hurt".

I ask because January feels early to commit to D3 unless that is the exact school you want....ymmv
I mean a "commitment" to division 3 isn't really saying much. Meaning, they aren't offering athletic money or anything so if you back out there really isn't any penalty. The coach said he has had kids say as long as school XYZ doesn't offer me something I am committed to you but he isn't a fan of that while he is trying to put together his squad.

If he waited until March or something it's likely he can still get a spot (I assume) but essentially what the coach said is that he is "holding a spot" for him until then. After that he will start going after other players.

This is all new to me so I have no idea if that is early or late or just right. I have no idea what is typical or if there is a typical. Obviously the higher touted players are sought after sooner but I don't know what is too late as schools are now done with recruiting for the 2024 class.

I ask because January feels early to commit to D3 unless that is the exact school you want....ymmv
Yeah agree.

There will be a D3 school this time next year that would have a spot for him. I might let this one play out this spring and see what happens.

The hardest part of convincing a kid about college sports is making sure they are understanding they are picking a college here. Not a sport. It has to be a good fit because this experience sets the tone for their life.

Now, as we all know they can always transfer and what not, but since he still has another year of high school he has the benefit of time. And if that D3 coach says "it's now or never" (not saying he is, but if that's what you are feeling), that may not be the right program. If your son is good enough (and he clearly is) there will be a spot this time next year.

I mean a "commitment" to division 3 isn't really saying much. Meaning, they aren't offering athletic money or anything so if you back out there really isn't any penalty. The coach said he has had kids say as long as school XYZ doesn't offer me something I am committed to you but he isn't a fan of that while he is trying to put together his squad.

If he waited until March or something it's likely he can still get a spot (I assume) but essentially what the coach said is that he is "holding a spot" for him until then. After that he will start going after other players.

This is all new to me so I have no idea if that is early or late or just right. I have no idea what is typical or if there is a typical. Obviously the higher touted players are sought after sooner but I don't know what is too late as schools are now done with recruiting for the 2024 class.
Yeah but he's a 2025..... Maybe baseball is earlier but usually for softball spring summer into fall is the d3 sweet spot.... again ymmv.

2025 are signing d1s right now.... I could be way off but that's just my opinion

My son fainted at school for the second time in 8 weeks. Not sure if he'll play in his soccer tournament this weekend... not sure what's going on with him.
That is odd. I would hold him out... I mean, short of something readily recognizable as the culprit (dehydration, sever dieting, low blood sugar, etc) then I wouldn't have him doing sports until checked out by the Doctor.

Hope he is ok... keep us in the loop on what happens

Injuries in running are quite common. As my son has learned in college, "everyone runs hurt".
I guess it makes sense... a lot of wear and tear on the body for such long distances but I guess I wouldn't have thought that.

My daughter hates running. My sons are moat sprinters than long distance. I never was much into running long distance either. I think a mile is the longest I have ever done even when I was young and in shape.

My son had bone spur and some other surgery around his Achilles

There will be a D3 school this time next year that would have a spot for him. I might let this one play out this spring and see what happens.

The hardest part of convincing a kid about college sports is making sure they are understanding they are picking a college here. Not a sport. It has to be a good fit because this experience sets the tone for their life.

Now, as we all know they can always transfer and what not, but since he still has another year of high school he has the benefit of time. And if that D3 coach says "it's now or never" (not saying he is, but if that's what you are feeling), that may not be the right program. If your son is good enough (and he clearly is) there will be a spot this time next year.
He doesn't really have another year. He is in his senior year right now. He has 8 months of HS left. By this time next year he will be a semester into college.

The coach is definitely not saying "its now or never". It's actually quite the opposite. He said don't make the decision if you are doing it because you think you will miss out. He specifically told my son that is not a reason to commit. The reason is because you think this is a good fit for school and baseball. It has to be right for all of the above. This was the message the coach conveyed.

The deadline was more along the lines of that is when he will start pursuing other options......not that it was a then or never kind of situation.

Yeah but he's a 2025..... Maybe baseball is earlier but usually for softball spring summer into fall is the d3 sweet spot.... again ymmv.

2025 are signing d1s right now.... I could be way off but that's just my opinion
He is class of 2024. He is a senior right now.

He is class of 2024. He is a senior right now.
Ah ok that makes .more sense. You said going into senior year next year so I assumed you meant next fall. So ignore my previous too early comments 😂

So now I'm on the same page. Do you have serious interest for for the D2? Spring is late but I've seen it happen a fair amount. As far as not committing and changing your mind sure it's technically not breaking the rules, but coaches are counting on the commitment to move on with the roster. Some schools will find you more academic money etc etc. Some schools will string you along (say this D2) for example because they have too many recruits or have people higher on their board waiting on them. For us we almost went into February because her top choice kept telling her I need you for another visit (we started late with this school), and she had 2 other offers already, so she just wanted it to be done and chose her second choice. Hindsight we probably could have waited but we didn't know.

Just for information, My daughters team is having a camp this Saturday, they are looking for one maybe 2 2024 to finalize the year (private d3)...... It's a new coach (my daughter was her first recruit technically) so she had some turnover from before so she's taking a few extra players.

Anyway that is just some random information :) you are in the middle to latish end of the recruitment window. What will happen is some kids won't get into their school and end up looking for another program

GL

What tipped him the direction of the D3 school over the D2 offers?
The coaching staff was a huge factor. They really were genuine and my son felt the love. The coaches came down to actually watch him play in Fort Myers Florida (School is in Raleigh NC) at a high level PG summer tourney vs D1 commits. All he faced were D1 pitchers all week (guys sitting 91-94 with junk). They followed him for 3 games. After the tourney they emailed him and said how impressed they were and wanted him to have an official visit 3 weeks later.

When he had an opportunity to sit with his head coach for over an hour and just talk it really sealed the deal as far as his comfort level to play and compete for him and the staff.

My son came from a 3 time State/National title team as you may remember.....and his coach was brutal. A guy who was nothing like the coaching staff here. While he was fully prepared for the next level he would never ever want to play for a coach like he did in high school ever again. So that really struck a nerve with him as well.

Also the facilities he plays at are second to none. He trains, practices and plays all his home games at the USA Baseball complex in Cary NC......it’s a dream surface and facility.

Also the school is small. 1000 students....65% are athletes. The campus is right in downtown Raleigh.....an amazing city and big school atmosphere without the big school campus and 300 kids in a single class like you find on D1 campuses He knew he would be able to develop relationships with his professors....and it is just a fantastic fit.

The two other D2 schools were good.....make no mistake. One was also in NC (Wilson) and the other in VA (Emory). But he did not get the same feeling he did from the coaching staffs....he felt like this team really valued him, his makeup, his character and approach to playing the game. Old school is the best way I can put it. The head coach is a 1980’s baseball guy as well as the assistant head coach. They value speed, base running, defense and contact gap to gap hitting......all the things my son excelled at and brings to the table.

And yes the competition is fierce......everyone.....everyone is very good at the next level. Less than 7% move on and the fact our boys are going the next level is incredible.

I also agree with you......what is it you want outta this (the player). My son wanted to play and be part of a rising team.....and this is exactly where he is at. The coaching staff here is going into just it’s 3rd season and in their first season they set a record for school wins and their second season made it all the way to the conference championship and beat the previous year win total by 8 more games. A D3 National title is their goal. My son is used to what it takes to win a title. He understands the culture and preparation needed to make that happen. A selfless approach from every player.....and he has already bonded with dozens of teammates. He is living his best life right now.

Yeah I am jealous LOL!!!!!

But the hard work goes to a new level......make no mistake. As long as your athlete (any sport) loves the grind, embraces the grind......they will succeed....not only in the sport.....but in life.

I will be very honest here. A handshake (which is what a commitment to a D3 really is) means a lot. And to me.....should be honored by both parties involved.

So before making a verbal commitment make 100% sure.

Also D3 can offer a lot of academic money. My son got a 75% academic scholarship. Which was also huge. Because these out of state private D3 schools are not cheap at all.

My son committed in August of 2022 going into his senior year and it wa a massive lift off his shoulders. He played free....and had a great senior season. It was probably the most loose and fun he ever played for his high school (because his high school team was literally a D1 college team and also had guys drafted straight outa high school).

So if the fit feels great......and he is really wanted and valued......Parental Guidance is not a bad thing here Gally. I have a feeling he will have a great experience at this D3 school if you are getting that great feeling. You have lived a lot longer and can judge people a lot better than a 17/18 year old kid. I am sure your son has very good instincts too.....but it does not hurt to help him make a decision.

When you know......you know.

I wish him the very best of luck and hope everything works out!!

Great post @Todem .

I will echo the coaching staff 100%. The school he chose the football coaches really made him feel wanted. A complete 180 from his high school coaching experience. And you are right about fit - the school he chose was similar.

When we did our campus visits this fall we really paid attention to how the coaching staff interacted with the players. All we saw was positive coaching - none of the yelling and getting into kids faces. And the other college we visited there was a lot of that yelling and what I call motivation by negativity. He didn't want that again which was a hallmark of the high school program.

They have a ton of college sports there, so a large portion of the student body plays something. The school is a little bigger - about 2600 students. Just north of Milwaukee but still a couple hours from Chicago. He is going into Sports Management so there will be a ton of internship opportunities when the time comes.

I'm glad he made this choice. He might have been able to walk on at a D2 school, but he wants to play. And his choice checks all the boxes for him.

I haven't seen this mentioned (and it is pretty basic) but for those that play for a club team besides their high school (this is the norm in lax...the high school and club seasons do not cross over and the majority of recruiting goes thru the clubs) they are a great resource to cut thru the BS/unknown and find out what the college coach is actually thinking and how much do they really want the kid...it is beyond important for the college coaches to maintain good relationships with the Clubs because they are their recruiting pipeline and they do not want that cut-off...on the flipside the Club wants (or should if they are legit) to put the kid in the best possible fit to thrive academically, socially and athletically because ultimately they are judged on that...the more info you get on the school/HC/program the better because some of these HC's are great recruiters and they all love to talk about culture during recruitment but like anything else in life there are frauds and legit ones and it is up to you to get as much info as possible so you don't get any surprises once you make your decision and show up on campus.

So if the fit feels great......and he is really wanted and valued......Parental Guidance is not a bad thing here Gally. I have a feeling he will have a great experience at this D3 school if you are getting that great feeling. You have lived a lot longer and can judge people a lot better than a 17/18 year old kid. I am sure your son has very good instincts too.....but it does not hurt to help him make a decision.
The issue is both the D2 and D3 schools are neck and neck. They are both good schools in good areas that fit my son. He likes both areas. Both coaching staffs were good (but I liked the D3 just a bit better) and I wouldn't have any issues with him playing for either school based on the coaching staffs. All that to say, I couldn't fault him for choosing either place. For me, I just liked the D3 coach a slight bit better. It's also nice that he is pursuing him stronger so that gives you a bit of ego jolt.

We talked a bit last night. I asked him if he took baseball out of it which school/area did he like better. He said he liked the D2 area better (Colorado over Washington). To be fair we spent 3 and half days in Colorado so we got a pretty good feel for the place. We only spent really one day (and that was spent on campus) in Washington and then we drove to Idaho (We are looking for a place to retire and had interest in the Cour'dalene area so wanted to take a look). It was a short drive so we got to see some of the area as we toured but not quite as much as we did when we were in Colorado. This isn't to say he didn't like the area jut that he liked the Colorado area slightly more.

Again, I am completely torn. I am just trying to answer questions and point out positives/negatives on both sides to get him thinking about the entire picture. Really I think a lot of it is he had a really good year last year and it gave him a ton of confidence that he would play at a higher level. So where initially he might have been happy at a "D3" he has the confidence and mindset that he is better than that. Which while that is a great thing to have and I want to encourage that confidence there is something to be said about going to a program that really wants you and sees you as a key component.

Thanks for all your advice. It is helpful for sure and I will keep you guys posted as things move forward.

I will be very honest here. A handshake (which is what a commitment to a D3 really is) means a lot. And to me.....should be honored by both parties involved.

So before making a verbal commitment make 100% sure.
I completely agree. I am not advocating to giving his handshake to commit to the D3 school and then break that commitment. That wasn't what I was trying to convey.

So now I'm on the same page. Do you have serious interest for for the D2? Spring is late but I've seen it happen a fair amount. As far as not committing and changing your mind sure it's technically not breaking the rules, but coaches are counting on the commitment to move on with the roster. Some schools will find you more academic money etc etc. Some schools will string you along (say this D2) for example because they have too many recruits or have people higher on their board waiting on them. For us we almost went into February because her top choice kept telling her I need you for another visit (we started late with this school), and she had 2 other offers already, so she just wanted it to be done and chose her second choice. Hindsight we probably could have waited but we didn't know.
The D2 school's pitching coach has seen him pitch. We were able to set up a private bullpen session when he was in town over the summer. This is where the interest is stemming from. The coach has ties to a local high school coach (not my son's coach). My son played for that coach over the past couple summers and he really likes how my son approaches the game so he went to bat for him and recommended the D2 coach to come watch him. My son doesn't pop off the scoresheet. He doesn't throw 90+ or strike out 1.5 batters per inning. He just throws with movement, control, and can throw 4 pitches for strikes. As that coach put it.....he just gets outs. So for college coaches to really see what he can do they have to seem him pitch. Having the endorsement is really helpful and why he has a foot in the door for the D2 school. I'm just not sure if anything will change between now and the end of the season with respect to getting a commitment from the D2 school.

As far as the "finding more academic money" goes, my son texted the D3 coach the scholarship amount and the coach wanted to know if we were happy with that amount. Seems like there may be some wiggle room for more which is always good. But I don't want to approach that if my son isn't ready to commit. The amount they offered is tremendous as it is but I don't want to be greedy if the chances of him going that direction aren't great. It's another thing I want to sit down and talk about with him.

If my son does commit to the D3 he won't be breaking that commitment as that is poor form. I will make sure he takes his time to decide what he really wants before making that decision because it isn't something you break. You never know how or when that would come back to haunt you but it very well could. It's just not right and not something we would do.

We had a similar conversation with my son last summer. He had a D1 recruiting him, but went on visits to see a D2 program and a D3 program that he also liked. In the end he built a better relationship with the D1 pitching coach, but still seemed to like the D2 pitching coach and campus. A friend pointed out to him that if went D1, he could always transfer out to the D2 if it didn't work out. Another coach also told him that a D2 or D3 school would not turn their head away from a potential transfer from a D1 school. I think it would work similarly here as well, that a D3 school wouldn't turn away a D2 athlete if they were looking to transfer. If he gets to the D2 and finds out that it's not all its cracked up to be, then he can always reach out to the D3 coach and consider transferring there. The Transfer Portal has really impacted all sports, not just football. I spoke to a few coaches at all levels last summer and they all mentioned that they would recruit from the Transfer Portal first, then reach out to 2024 athletes. They want to fill a roster immediately, then go to the recruiting class to get new players.

Ok @Gally

Key question and I don’t know if your son asked this of both coaches.

“Where do you see me fitting into your depth chart and who is ahead of me”

My son asked that question to all 3 schools and the answer he got from WPU where he is was also another check mark. He felt like he was being told the truth and they were pretty clear they saw him making a big push to get significant playing time by Sophomore year.

Another factor is all three schools had JV teams which were a big bonus.

So he just had his Fall exit meeting.

They had an 8 week Fall with 5 games. They split up the team into 4 teams and they all competed vs each other the past 4 weeks.

He hit .355 and had a flawless Fall in the field.

He was told he will be the starting 2B this spring on the JV team as they want him to get as many AB’s as possible Freshman year. He was told if he continued this great success he sees him being called up quickly to Varsity this spring and getting some starts and he even told him I will tell you what games in case your parents want to come up to watch them live (we have streaming for all his games which is very cool).

Coach told him he actually pushed his projected starter (A Junior) hard but he still had a Sophomore ahead of him on the depth chart for now.

It’s this kind of rapport he has with his current coach that he never ever experienced with his high school program.

So needless to say he is on a nice ascent out of the gate and is extremely excited about his prospects of cracking the starting lineup at a minimum as a junior and possibly as a sophomore as they also told him they are projecting him as a SS because his arm has gotten stronger and stronger (85 MPH across the diamond). Thats not elite for a SS but it is damn good and more importantly his accuracy and the speed at which he gets the ball out is high level.

They are huge on player development at his school and I know you mentioned that as something you liked hearing from the D3 option.

So anyway….that is an important answer to hear from any prospective school (where do you see me fitting in and projecting my place on the depth chart moving forward).

Exciting times for you and your son!

You both will take a huge sigh of relief when he makes his decision.

I spoke to a few coaches at all levels last summer and they all mentioned that they would recruit from the Transfer Portal first, then reach out to 2024 athletes. They want to fill a roster immediately, then go to the recruiting class to get new players.
i think this is heavily dependent upon the coaches philosophy on how he wants to build the program. The D3 coach said specifically he is trying to build a culture and tradition and wants to do that by having 4 year players so his focus is building with freshman. He only uses the transfer portal to supplement and fill holes as they present themselves. The D2 coach said he prefers to build with freshman but because of the last few years and how they shook out he went heavier with transfers for this year out of necessity. He plans to go back to his normal approach next year. Again, he cited trying to build a culture and team chemistry which is better suited by being loyal and bringing in kids early.

I have no doubt there are other programs that do it in reverse and want to use the portal to build for current year success. One of the coaches in our area tells all his HS players that if their goal is to go D1 that they should go to a JC out of HS and play for two years and then transfer to a D1. Reason being that if they go to a D1 right out of HS they will likely sit for a couple years and right when they think they have earned their shot the D1 will bring in transfers to compete for the spots and those guys have had two years of competition over them and are likely going to have somewhat of an upper hand. It makes sense for sure.

Lots of different ways to be successful for sure and it boils down to what kind of program you want. Does winning matter more than culture/loyalty? Is it more a business than a lifestyle? All good questions to know the answers to when making a decision.

Lots of different ways to be successful for sure and it boils down to what kind of program you want. Does winning matter more than culture/loyalty? Is it more a business than a lifestyle? All good questions to know the answers to when making a decision.
Exactly. Probably should have added YMMV on my post, you get it. I know one coach wanted to get HS students first. I was actually surprised at how a couple of coaches were using the portal like a "trade" manage. A D2 coach told us how he had a pitcher transfer to a D3 school, and then picked up an OF from said D3 school. Again, mainly plugging holes - but they were looking for immediate impact this season and told my son that they would talk to him in the fall after the start of the school year.

Probably should have noted that these conversations occurred earlier this year in June/July, and my son was entering his senior HS year this fall (so a 2024 grad).

Key question and I don’t know if your son asked this of both coaches.

“Where do you see me fitting into your depth chart and who is ahead of me”

My son asked that question to all 3 schools and the answer he got from WPU where he is was also another check mark. He felt like he was being told the truth and they were pretty clear they saw him making a big push to get significant playing time by Sophomore year.
That is something we haven't asked specifically. The coach of the D3 school said they are losing 7 pitchers this year so he is looking to replenish that cupboard. That being said we didn't ask specifically about where my son fit into those plans. Obviously they need pitching but not sure of those 7 who has significant roles etc. We haven't gotten into those conversations with the D2 school because we haven't gotten to that level of discussion yet.

This is very good advice and I will definitely be bringing this up to my son for future conversations down this road.

Neither school has a JV squad. We asked how many players they usually roster and the D2 school was around 50 and the D3 around 40. The D3 coach stressed that he doesn't bring in more players than he plans to use and then weed out guys that way. He stressed that he only brings in the guys he plans to use which is why he likes to be around 40 total. He specifically said he doesn't bring in 20 players to fight for 10 spots.

Neither school has a JV squad. We asked how many players they usually roster and the D2 school was around 50 and the D3 around 40. The D3 coach stressed that he doesn't bring in more players than he plans to use and then weed out guys that way. He stressed that he only brings in the guys he plans to use which is why he likes to be around 40 total. He specifically said he doesn't bring in 20 players to fight for 10 spots.
How many games do these colleges play? How much do they rotate guys in and out in positions?

How many games do these colleges play? How much do they rotate guys in and out in positions?
They usually play 40-ish games. Position players don't rotate much unless you have a right-left platoon situation.

Usually they have 3 or 4 starting pitchers and then a bunch of other pitchers. Usually carry 15-ish pitchers

They usually play 40-ish games. Position players don't rotate much unless you have a right-left platoon situation.

Usually they have 3 or 4 starting pitchers and then a bunch of other pitchers. Usually carry 15-ish pitchers

That is about what I thought the roster would be... let's say 12-15 position guys that will range from majority time to pinch hit, 18-19 ish pitchers (but how many really are going to see a decent amount of innings?) 40 seems about right but even with 40 about half will get used sparingly.

See at least they are honest. There are a couple schools around here that are shooting to make the world series every year (D3).... don't get me wrong they are good coaches but they over recruit and do the transfer window. So in the fall they have like 27 girls and then only end up rostering 20ish. It's all you need. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My daughter had a chance to go to one of them but she chose a school with a so-so program for now (17-22 last season) but will play and have more opportunities then one of these other places. She wants to win obviously but at the end of the day she wants to play as much as possible for the 4 years over vs maybe playing but the team being really really good.

Ymmv

That is about what I thought the roster would be... let's say 12-15 position guys that will range from majority time to pinch hit, 18-19 ish pitchers (but how many really are going to see a decent amount of innings?) 40 seems about right but even with 40 about half will get used sparingly.

This is schedule dependent. How many double headers are scheduled? How many week day games and weekend series? How close are the games together? The D3 school said this year they will only play weekend series. Friday, DH Saturday, and Sunday. That being the case they will need a lot more pitchers than typical because you won't be able to bring guys back for multiple games if they go deep in games or eat up innings in blow outs (either way).

Looking at most of these rosters there are usually 1 or 2 guys with the most innings, then a step down to another 4 or 5 guys, then another step to 2-4 guys and then 5-10 guys with a handful of innings. Pretty consistent with this distro.

Swim Meet today. It was a Pentathlon, so all 4 strokes plus IM with the overall standings being the combined times.

1st in 50 Fly. Dropped 3.43 off his time. Qualified for regionals. 1.41 away from making State.
4th in 50 Back. Dropped 5.62 off his time. 1.73 away from regionals. (His least favorite stroke, he was in first but messed up his turn and got passed up)
3rd in 50 Breast. Dropped .36 off his time. 2.81 away from regionals.
1st in 50 Free. No time drop. Already qualified for regionals. 2.5 away from State.
1st in IM. Dropped 3.95 off his time. Qualified for regionals. 9.62 away from State.

1st place overall.

One kid really gave him a run for his money. I added their times going into the IM and they were fractions of a second apart. Winning the IM won it all for him.

Last edited:
Swim Meet today. It was a Pentathlon, so all 4 strokes plus IM with the overall standings being the combined times.

1st in 50 Fly. Dropped 3.43 off his time. Qualified for regionals. 1.41 away from making State.
4th in 50 Back. Dropped 5.62 off his time. 1.73 away from regionals. (His least favorite stroke, he was in first but messed up his turn and got passed up)
1st in 50 Free. No time drop. Already qualified for regionals. 2.5 away from State.
1st in IM. Dropped 3.95 off his time. Qualified for regionals. 9.62 away from State.

1st place overall.

One kid really gave him a run for his money. I added their times going into the IM and they were fractions of a second apart. Winning the IM won it all for him.
Congrats - You should have him watch some Michael Phelps videos.. haha

1st place overall.

He doesn't get much into watching sports. Even football which is his favorite sport. I have not been able to get him to sit and watch a full game. He will watch highlights on Youtube once in a while but not a game. Swimming is ranked on the bottom of his preferred sports that he currently does (Football, Soccer, Basketball and then Swim). I tried to get him to watch some swimming with me and he maybe will watch one event and sneaks away. We did watch a couple of instructional videos a while ago on starts.

I was thinking the same thing of showing him Phelps before his IM. But actually for how Phelps prepared. My son was doing some static stretching before the IM event with his arms and I was wanting him to do some dynamic stretching. I was thinking of how Phelps would violently move his arms before an event. He glanced over to me and I motioned for him to do some dynamic stretches which he did but you could see he was self conscious about it.

1st place overall.

He doesn't get much into watching sports. Even football which is his favorite sport. I have not been able to get him to sit and watch a full game. He will watch highlights on Youtube once in a while but not a game. Swimming is ranked on the bottom of his preferred sports that he currently does (Football, Soccer, Basketball and then Swim). I tried to get him to watch some swimming with me and he maybe will watch one event and sneaks away. We did watch a couple of instructional videos a while ago on starts.

I was thinking the same thing of showing him Phelps before his IM. But actually for how Phelps prepared. My son was doing some static stretching before the IM event with his arms and I was wanting him to do some dynamic stretching. I was thinking of how Phelps would violently move his arms before an event. He glanced over to me and I motioned for him to do some dynamic stretches which he did but you could see he was self conscious abo

1st place overall.

I was thinking the same thing of showing him Phelps before his IM. But actually for how Phelps prepared. My son was doing some static stretching before the IM event with his arms and I was wanting him to do some dynamic stretching. I was thinking of how Phelps would violently move his arms before an event. He glanced over to me and I motioned for him to do some dynamic stretches which he did but you could see he was self conscious abo
That's awesome. Enjoy these years buddy. It will go fast. Sounds like you have some nice athletes in your family.....

My son got clearance to play in the tournament this weekend from his pediatrician. Suggested we make an appointment with a cardiologist though to get further analysis done on the fainting.

His team was in the 3rd of 5 levels for 2013 (U11) with 6 teams in their bracket. They steamrolled the competition, with a 21-1 goal differential. Only goal was let in by a forward that filled in for the starting goalie so that the starter could get some touches and not be bored.

My son had 2 goals and an assist. Played well but not exceptionally well. Solid contribution to a quality team performance.

He doesn't get much into watching sports. Even football which is his favorite sport. I have not been able to get him to sit and watch a full game. He will watch highlights on Youtube once in a while but not a game.
This is critical to getting to the next level of knowing the mental part of the game. Watching the game being played will start to instill instincts that can then be transferred to game play. You would be surprised how much watching (and talking about reasons for play X or why they did Y) will develop their game. You might want to approach him with this angle if he wants to get to the next level.

You can tell which kids know the game and which don't fairly easily and watching/discussing the game is a great way to start that development.

That's awesome. Enjoy these years buddy. It will go fast. Sounds like you have some nice athletes in your family.....
Yea, when it gets rough with schedule and driving etc, I always keep in mind that before I know it, I will miss all of this, and then the 'work' of it all isn't that big of a deal to me at all. And I focus on enjoying the moment with the kids.

My daughter is a marginal athlete right now. She has a lot of untapped potential that she is slowly getting to come out. She was late to play and wasn't very competitive early but she is starting to unlock some of that. She severely lacks in confidence and aggressiveness which really holds her back. It really holds her back in Bball though she does perform well on her B team that just won their championship in one league and 2nd in the other. Vball, she holds herself back as well.

My older son, the one in the swim meet, is very athletic. For his age he has well above average height, speed, agility, strength and overall athletic ability though he is never the tallest or fastest etc he is always one of the tallest and fastest etc. He is the only kid on his football team capable of playing every position on offense and defense because of that blend. Over the three seasons in either practice or game, he has played DT, DE, OLB, MLB, CB, WR, RB, LG, RG and LT. He has performed above average to all star level in each of his sports of football, basketball, soccer and swim. He is very competitive (he was very frustrated when he got 4th in back stroke and knew he could have had 1st if he hit his turn correctly).

My youngest is showing similar athletic ability to his brother but maybe even more potential, however the one sport he is in now (swim) he basically screws around rather than really practices. Being 7, it could very well be just the age. Also, like his brother, swim is not his favorite and in past basketball things he has shown much more focus and drive. Next year school Bball, football and soccer start so it will be fun to see how he does in those.

He doesn't get much into watching sports. Even football which is his favorite sport. I have not been able to get him to sit and watch a full game. He will watch highlights on Youtube once in a while but not a game.
This is critical to getting to the next level of knowing the mental part of the game. Watching the game being played will start to instill instincts that can then be transferred to game play. You would be surprised how much watching (and talking about reasons for play X or why they did Y) will develop their game. You might want to approach him with this angle if he wants to get to the next level.

You can tell which kids know the game and which don't fairly easily and watching/discussing the game is a great way to start that development.
I know.

I tell my kids on our basketball team that I coach that they get better by watching, practicing and playing. I tell them to watch as many games, preferably college, as they can. I mention it enough that one of my kids last practice excitedly told me that they were going to a college game this week. I push it hard as a coach. As a parent, I feel I can't do more than encourage or else he will react negatively to it.

He is watching more football highlights and I played Madden with my boys last night. I could tell his football IQ has increased by how he was talking about the plays, routes, game calling etc.

Users who are viewing this thread