What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Admissions Questions (3 Viewers)

Has anyone used online SAT prep courses and/or tutoring - Study Point, Kaplan, Princeton Review and the like? Any feedback on their usefulness? Which programs are the most helpful? Thanks.
We did some one on one training for her last attempt. If it means a higher scorer and thus more merit aid, could be worth it. I've just heard bits and pieces of this from my ex and kid though.

This week we found out she got into Cal State SF, and Cal State Channel Islands...14 more to go, but she is relieved that she is in nursing programs.
just got into U of Portland with a $104k scholarship
just found out she got into ASU
We just found out she was accepted to her #1…… U of Hawaii. We are pretty excited
That would be my #1 choice as well but that's speaking as a 46 year old
For several reasons, ASU is now her #1… we think only sdsu would trump it. Surprised because she is so drawn to the beach.

This week we found out she got into Cal State SF, and Cal State Channel Islands...14 more to go, but she is relieved that she is in nursing programs.
just got into U of Portland with a $104k scholarship
just found out she got into ASU
We just found out she was accepted to her #1…… U of Hawaii. We are pretty excited
That would be my #1 choice as well but that's speaking as a 46 year old
For several reasons, ASU is now her #1… we think only sdsu would trump it. Surprised because she is so drawn to the beach.
I've been going to phoenix last 3 years for a couple of weeks to escape the northeast winter. I'll do some research for you. :stalker:

Has anyone used online SAT prep courses and/or tutoring - Study Point, Kaplan, Princeton Review and the like? Any feedback on their usefulness? Which programs are the most helpful? Thanks.
Just to echo what a few others have added - we bought a couple of books that had full tests.

For our daughter it was less about learning any new material, or test-taking "tricks" - as much as it was getting accustomed to the timing and rhythm of the test. So, just having the timed practice tests was enough for her to find the right pacing - particularly on the math part, where she is smart - but can be very deliberate (i.e. takes too much time).
Thanks Tennessee. Thanks all.

We did sign him up for an online program. It comes with workbooks, practice tests, etc. We'll see what happens. He's not taken the SAT, yet, so we won't have much to compare the hopeful improvement to, other than estimating vs. the PSAT. At worst, he'll be forced to improve even a little bit if only by kicking him in the rear to prep.

I offered him either 1. the online course or 2. getting some books and practice tests with me looking over his shoulder daily. He chose 1.

Just to echo what a few others have added - we bought a couple of books that had full tests.

For our daughter it was less about learning any new material, or test-taking "tricks" - as much as it was getting accustomed to the timing and rhythm of the test. So, just having the timed practice tests was enough for her to find the right pacing - particularly on the math part, where she is smart - but can be very deliberate (i.e. takes too much time).

We did sign him up for an online program. It comes with workbooks, practice tests, etc. We'll see what happens. He's not taken the SAT, yet, so we won't have much to compare the hopeful improvement to, other than estimating vs. the PSAT. At worst, he'll be forced to improve even a little bit if only by kicking him in the rear to prep.

I offered him either 1. the online course or 2. getting some books and practice tests with me looking over his shoulder daily. He chose 1.
My son found out last spring that it was going fully digital starting... today. He knows he does better live and written than digital so studied and pushed himself hard to get it done over the fall.

His school (private) offered a practice test last spring which he took while a sophomore, so knew his pre practice/prep score as a baseline. Took a few practice tests on his own and found himself making similar/repeatederrors.. so we got him a few tutor sessions to help him focus on where he had been having problems. That guy gave him some immediate tips and ways of approaching the thing strategically that helped him a ton. He spread the tutoring out... 2 before he took it the first time over the summer, and then 1 more after. Every session seemed to help him... If we could have afforded more, probably would have done more. But he ended up doing great the 2nd time, so is done. And as I mentioned, he found every single practice test he could and took them either in parts or in total... Both approaches together helped him.

My son found out last spring that it was going fully digital starting... today. He knows he does better live and written than digital so studied and pushed himself hard to get it done over the fall.

His school (private) offered a practice test last spring which he took while a sophomore, so knew his pre practice/prep score as a baseline. Took a few practice tests on his own and found himself making similar/repeatederrors.. so we got him a few tutor sessions to help him focus on where he had been having problems. That guy gave him some immediate tips and ways of approaching the thing strategically that helped him a ton. He spread the tutoring out... 2 before he took it the first time over the summer, and then 1 more after. Every session seemed to help him... If we could have afforded more, probably would have done more. But he ended up doing great the 2nd time, so is done. And as I mentioned, he found every single practice test he could and took them either in parts or in total... Both approaches together helped him.

This is the approach we took. Private tutor took with him in problem areas, and then a bunch of practice tests taken under testing conditions. He took the ACT, where pace is critical, so the practice exams were key.

This is the approach we took. Private tutor took with him in problem areas, and then a bunch of practice tests taken under testing conditions. He took the ACT, where pace is critical, so the practice exams were key.
Same for us. Eight or so one on one sessions to work on problem areas. Reading went from 28 to 34, and total from 31 to 34 on ACT. Well worth it as 34 is the minimum score for max merit at at most schools that offer it.

Good luck 🍀!

It is January 2nd and the FAFSA remains unavailable. That is really putting admissions/financial aid offices (and expectant families) behind the 8-ball given many/most schools have traditionally started awarding aid packages in November/December.

Pacing/schedule/priorities were a big part of what he learned from the tutor and he got really comfortable with it.

The first real test he took, the proctor wouldn't let him use his non-smart-only a digital watch that he used religiously in practice to keep his pace. That's not legal (denying him the watch), according to the SAT rules, but it was a tough spot to be in to argue for him (they were going to kick him out). He did well, but it hurt... Along with a big boneheaded misreading of a question in 3 parts. They let him use the watch the 2nd time and it obviously helped him (along with not making boneheaded misreadings of questions lol)

It is January 2nd and the FAFSA remains unavailable. That is really putting admissions/financial aid offices (and expectant families) behind the 8-ball given many/most schools have traditionally started awarding aid packages in November/December.
Has anyone completed the new FAFSA yet? How did the results compare to a previous year (if applicable). My sense is this change in from/process are not going to be good for most families.

Well, the hard part is done - for her. All remaining applications were submitted this past week - now we wait - which might actually be the hardest part, knowing there is nothing more that can be done!!

She has her semi-finalist interview for the NC State Park Scholarship going on right now.

We expect decisions from Purdue and Illinois later this month. Vanderbilt decision (where she is committed if she gets in) is in February.

Then Northwestern, WashU, and Lehigh should be in late March.

Has anyone completed the new FAFSA yet? How did the results compare to a previous year (if applicable). My sense is this change in from/process are not going to be good for most families.
Some families will benefit by the new FAFSA, while others will be hurt by it.

Projections are that more students will qualify for PELL grants which are only available to the neediest students, so that's one barometer that says not everyone is being hurt by the new form.

Families? Yes, but schools? No, or at least if it is impacting them that's reason for concern. Until 2017 the FAFSA didn't open until 1/1, so prepared schools should have a plan to pivot to.

Projections are that more students will qualify for PELL grants which are only available to the neediest students, so that's one barometer that says not everyone is being hurt by the new form.
Beware if the school of your choice passes out of pocket spending from those negatively impacted by the changes to be passed along to you. One of the objectives of the new legislation is to increase the total net impact at the school level, which will still happen by extending olive branches to those hurt. If they won't play ball I'd strongly consider another option.

I'm glad to hear that. One of the things coloring my perception is that the # of kids in school doesn't have as much impact as it used to (at least that's what I've read). That seems like a generally bad thing if accurate (says the Dad that will have two in school).

Purdue decisions came out tonight - Daughter Accepted into College of Engineering and the Honors College.
Congrats! Was that in her top 3?

My nephew got in as well. His gf is a freshman there already, so I think it's likely he ends up there.
Not top-3 - but several of her classmates are in also, so it might be top of her target schools.

We have not been to visit yet - I think once she hears from Vanderbilt (1), WashU (2) and Northwestern we will take a drive up to visit. Also hoping for good news from Illinois soon, and I think she would probably choose one of those if she does not get one of her top-3, Purdue is probably slightly ahead of Illinois due to knowing people who are going.

Purdue is probably slightly ahead of Illinois due to knowing people who are going.
I think back to when I chose my college. I intentionally wanted a place where I didn't know anyone...completely clean start far from home was my goal. Cleveland, Ohio boy to TCU. I arrived for orientation the week before classes began. One of the first people I "met" was in kindergarten with me.

I went to college with my high school gf that I had known since 8th grade. We broke up less than 6 months after graduation. I missed out on a lot of experiences in college as a result... but I had others that set me up well for later relationships.

I went to college cross country from my HS, 2 other people I was friendly with from my HS also went (had nothing to do with my choice). I barely saw them.. made other friends.

At least for me, the friend thing didn't matter at all. Yeah, it was nice to be able to run into a familiar face those first couple months.. but otherwise :shrug:

I guess once you start getting into lesser personally ranked schools during this unique phase of asmissions and are trying to find reasons for ranking them, it might serve that purpose. But in reality long term... Not much to it.

I didn’t know a single person going to my college when I went. And my son didn’t know anyone going to his college when he went.

I'm glad to hear that. One of the things coloring my perception is that the # of kids in school doesn't have as much impact as it used to (at least that's what I've read). That seems like a generally bad thing if accurate (says the Dad that will have two in school).
Some schools are still considering the number in college. The Feds aren't using it for their calculations (for federal eligibility into PELL, SEOG, Direct loans, etc)., but schools can spend their institutional funds however they feel they want to....and some are being more generous to families with multiple kids in college.

Purdue is probably slightly ahead of Illinois due to knowing people who are going.
I think back to when I chose my college. I intentionally wanted a place where I didn't know anyone...completely clean start far from home was my goal. Cleveland, Ohio boy to TCU. I arrived for orientation the week before classes began. One of the first people I "met" was in kindergarten with me.
What year were you at TCU? I grew up in FW and went to Paschal right down the street. Left in fall 84 for Baylor for school, so don't hate me too much.

What year were you at TCU? I grew up in FW and went to Paschal right down the street. Left in fall 84 for Baylor for school, so don't hate me too much.
I was there from '86-'91 (yes...I crammed 4 years of information into 5). I am very familiar with Paschal. I did several hours of observation at that high school during the '89-'90 school year before doing my student teaching at Southwest HS the following year.

Ah - so I completely mis-read my daughter on Purdue - it seems she is more inline with many of your thinking - Purdue moves up the rankings, the more her classmates opt to go somewhere else. She seems to agree that she would prefer to go somewhere a forge a new path.

She is in a STEM program, and thus Purdue was a popular choice, hence a lot of admissions, but not necessarily everyone's top choice.

Purdue decisions came out tonight - Daughter Accepted into College of Engineering and the Honors College.
Congrats. My friends son loves Purdue.

I do have a question, not just for Purdue but for any university. When a kid applies to a university, do they also have to indicate which college or major they are applying for? I glanced at the common app and maybe I missed that.

I do have a question, not just for Purdue but for any university. When a kid applies to a university, do they also have to indicate which college or major they are applying for? I glanced at the common app and maybe I missed that.

I think it depends on the college, but most will ask for an intended major, or college, if its a university with multiple colleges.

Off the top of my head, Purdue requested a specific college and major, with an option to list an alternate.

Vanderbilt has 4 colleges and you apply to one of them.

Other schools just have a single admission - and you can list a preferred major, but can also be undecided.

As mentioned above it depends on school and major. My daughter's small university you have to specify if applying to the engineering program, you can put undecided on which field but you don't apply to the "regular" program

For engineering, many schools (Purdue included which is where my son is) will accept incoming students generically into the college of engineering, but you then need to apply for a specific area of engineering heading into your second year. I don't know what their number targets are, but they will only accept a certain number into mechanical engineering or electrical engineering for example. My son went into nuclear engineering, so there wasn't as much competition for those spots. It was similar for my daughter at Ohio State, except she got to skip the application part and was automatically accepted into the electrical engineering program. I think it had something to do with her grades and honors track that allowed her to forgo the application heading into year two.

Starting the process with my third and youngest, my HS Jr. daughter.

We learned a few things with my first. Without a “hook”, smart white girls are a dime a dozen. Being the topped ranked female in a class of 300 did not automatically open the doors to top-ranked schools. All’s well that ends well, she got off the waitlist and attended/graduated from a school pretty high on her list. But man, the process was brutal. One rejecton/waitlist after another. She also did’t use her ED bullet at her top choice (waitlisted) and regretted that for a long time after. Will not make that mistake again. My youngest is also much further ahead in the “building a resume” game than her sister was. We had a great meeting yesterday with her school college counselor, we have a plan already laid out - way ahead of where we were with my first. Middle kid knew where was going Oct. of Jr year due to a lax committment. What a stree-relieving gift that was! Will need to sweat it out again with my baby.

For engineering, many schools (Purdue included which is where my son is) will accept incoming students generically into the college of engineering, but you then need to apply for a specific area of engineering heading into your second year. I don't know what their number targets are, but they will only accept a certain number into mechanical engineering or electrical engineering for example. My son went into nuclear engineering, so there wasn't as much competition for those spots. It was similar for my daughter at Ohio State, except she got to skip the application part and was automatically accepted into the electrical engineering program. I think it had something to do with her grades and honors track that allowed her to forgo the application heading into year two.
That sounds very fair. The kids have enough to decide pre-university. Let them decide the college after a year.

Starting the process with my third and youngest, my HS Jr. daughter.

We learned a few things with my first. Without a “hook”, smart white girls are a dime a dozen. Being the topped ranked female in a class of 300 did not automatically open the doors to top-ranked schools. All’s well that ends well, she got off the waitlist and attended/graduated from a school pretty high on her list. But man, the process was brutal. One rejecton/waitlist after another. She also did’t use her ED bullet at her top choice (waitlisted) and regretted that for a long time after. Will not make that mistake again. My youngest is also much further ahead in the “building a resume” game than her sister was. We had a great meeting yesterday with her school college counselor, we have a plan already laid out - way ahead of where we were with my first. Middle kid knew where was going Oct. of Jr year due to a lax committment. What a stree-relieving gift that was! Will need to sweat it out again with my baby.
Good info thanks. However, it's tough to take a post like this seriously when it's read in a goose blood-soaked Fabio voice.

That sounds very fair. The kids have enough to decide pre-university. Let them decide the college after a year.

When my son was applying (engineering), some schools required him to apply with respect to a specific engineering discipline (mechanical), while others were just general engineering and you pick the type of engineering after a year. Here in Texas, all the engineering bound kids apply to both University of Texas and Texas A&M. For UT, you had to apply to a specific engineering school and you would only be admitted for that discipline. At A&M, however, everyone was just general engineering for the first year and then you specialized after that first year. A&M played this up big time in recruiting students against their rival UT. Come here, learn with us for a year and then pick your discipline. We are way more flexible and offer you choices, etc. Why lock yourself into a specific area when you haven’t even started yet? It was an extremely effective pitch. Well my son had a number of friends attend A&M for engineering. Turns out there was a big catch. After one year as a general engineering student, you had to “apply” for your specialty and list a second and third choice. And not everyone got their first choice. So if you were set on going to college for electrical engineering, and got into A&M, you might end up being denied admission to the EE program after you’ve already accepted and attended the university for a year. That is absolutely not how they sold the “flexibility” and I know families that were not happy and felt sort of duped. So just a cautionary note to do some deep dive research when making a decision.

My youngest is also much further ahead in the “building a resume” game than her sister was
Can you flesh this "resume building" thing out for me?
Looking forward to hearing Nigel's thoughts on this.

In the meantime, here's an old post with my take on one way to approach it: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/college-admissions-questions.746450/page-63#post-23380741

What I'd add is that the approach I'm suggesting there gives them the base to tell a 'story' about who they are in the application process, which seems to be what many schools are looking for.

When my son was applying (engineering), some schools required him to apply with respect to a specific engineering discipline (mechanical), while others were just general engineering and you pick the type of engineering after a year. Here in Texas, all the engineering bound kids apply to both University of Texas and Texas A&M. For UT, you had to apply to a specific engineering school and you would only be admitted for that discipline. At A&M, however, everyone was just general engineering for the first year and then you specialized after that first year. A&M played this up big time in recruiting students against their rival UT. Come here, learn with us for a year and then pick your discipline. We are way more flexible and offer you choices, etc. Why lock yourself into a specific area when you haven’t even started yet? It was an extremely effective pitch. Well my son had a number of friends attend A&M for engineering. Turns out there was a big catch. After one year as a general engineering student, you had to “apply” for your specialty and list a second and third choice. And not everyone got their first choice. So if you were set on going to college for electrical engineering, and got into A&M, you might end up being denied admission to the EE program after you’ve already accepted and attended the university for a year. That is absolutely not how they sold the “flexibility” and I know families that were not happy and felt sort of duped. So just a cautionary note to do some deep dive research when making a decision.
Similar to what I was describing about Purdue and tOSU, but it wasn't a surprise at either place. The process was laid out up front.

Similar to what I was describing about Purdue and tOSU, but it wasn't a surprise at either place. The process was laid out up front.
At Cornell, you have to apply to school of engineering up front, but then don't affiliate to a specific major until Sophomore year...and I'm fairly certain that as long as you meet the requirements for your major, it's more or less automatic that you're accepted. Only problem is if you don't meet the requirements for any of the majors, then I think you'd be forced to switch out of engineering entirely.

My youngest is also much further ahead in the “building a resume” game than her sister was
Looking forward to hearing Nigel's thoughts on this.

In the meantime, here's an old post with my take on one way to approach it: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/college-admissions-questions.746450/page-63#post-23380741

What I'd add is that the approach I'm suggesting there gives them the base to tell a 'story' about who they are in the application process, which seems to be what many schools are looking for.
This is exactly what I've heard from multiple sources- including a panel of admins from Brown, Columbia, Chicago and Vanderbilt.

It's less about checking off as many boxes as posible to show you've done a lot of thing; it's more about showing a directed interest/passion/story that can tell the schools who the kid is. This might be an academic pursuit, or sport, or anything at all. The panel mentioned caregiving for a younger sibling due to family needs as an example. But something that's a demonstrated interest, not something that your kid signed up for Junior year to look good on paper (like my being Junior class president in my only time in student politics since I clearly didn't give a crap)

I have been meaning to post this for a while - a parent in my daughter's program posted it (after his older son got into MIT last year):

Applying Sideways

Its a bit by an assistant admissions director at MIT - and though its a bit dated (from 2010) - I think the advice is timeless and universal.

"[H]ere’s what you need to understand:

There is nothing, literally nothing, that in and of itself will get you in to MIT.

For example:

A few years ago, we did not admit a student who had created a fully-functional nuclear reactor in his garage.

Think about that for a second.

Now, most students, when I tell them this story, become depressed. After all, if the kid who built a freakin’ nuclear reactor didn’t get in to MIT, what chance do they have?

But they have it backwards. In fact, this story should be incredibly encouraging for most students. It should be liberating. Why? Because over a thousand other students were admitted to MIT that year, and none of them built a nuclear reactor!'

[W]hat should you do if you still want to come to MIT?

• Do well in school. Take tough classes. Interrogate your beliefs and presumptions. Pursue knowledge with dogged precision. Because it is better to be educated and intelligent than not.

• Be nice. This cannot be overstated. Don’t be wanton or careless or cruel. Treat those around you with kindness. Help people. Contribute to your community.

• Pursue your passion. Find what you love, and do it. Maybe it’s a sport. Maybe it’s an instrument. Maybe it’s research. Maybe it’s being a leader in your community. Math. Baking. Napping. Hopscotch. Whatever it is, spend time on it. Immerse yourself in it. Enjoy it.
If you do these three things, you will be applying sideways to MIT.

See:

If you get into MIT, it will be because you followed these steps. If you do well in school, you will be smart and prepared for an MIT education. If you are nice, then your letters of recommendation will convince us that MIT would be a wildly better place with you on campus. And if you pursue your passion, you will have developed a love for and skill at something that helps distinguish you from other applications – something that is your “hook.”

But what if you don’t get into MIT?

Well, you may be disappointed. But you learned everything you could, so now you’re smarter; you were a positive member of your community, and you made people happy; and you spent high school doing not what you thought you had to do to get into a selective college, but what you wanted to do more than anything else in the world. In other words, you didn’t waste a single solitary second of your time.

Applying sideways, as a mantra, means don’t do things because you think they will help you get into MIT (or Harvard, or CalTech, or anywhere). Instead, you should study hard, be nice, and pursue your passion, because then you will have spent high school doing all the rights things, and, as a complete side effect, you’ll be cast in the best light possible for competitive college admissions.

Sometimes, you really can have the best of both worlds.

This was the general path we took when "advising" our kids on college prep.

At Cornell, you have to apply to school of engineering up front, but then don't affiliate to a specific major until Sophomore year...and I'm fairly certain that as long as you meet the requirements for your major, it's more or less automatic that you're accepted. Only problem is if you don't meet the requirements for any of the majors, then I think you'd be forced to switch out of engineering entirely.
It was like this at Cal in the late 90s as well. I think the college of engineering knew the approximate % of students that were going to opt for each major +/- 10%. They had the faculty to support that flex up/down. Also, you could absolutely switch majors or add a double major at almost any time. The college didn't really care as long as the student met the graduation requirements for classes and credits.

Daughter has results back from most of her early decision applications with one more to come back this week. We're planning out our spring with planned travel to 3 out-of-state schools. Strange how it is starting to feel much more real now.

Daughter has results back from most of her early decision applications with one more to come back this week. We're planning out our spring with planned travel to 3 out-of-state schools. Strange how it is starting to feel much more real now.
Wait you apply for more than one ED? I thought those were "binding"

It's basically showing authentic, sustained commitment to something - optimally with an academic or artistic connection but not necessary

For my kid, it was studying Arabic. He started studying in middle school through an online course offered by JHU's Center for Talented Youth, then got a scholarship to study Arabic in Morocco for a summer, then did some translations during high school (where Arabic wasn't offered) and then wrote an essay that tied together his interest in studying the language with what he wanted to do in college

It made for a coherent narrative that showed him to be a smart, committed student. In my opinion, this was much more valuable in the college admissions process than signing up for yearbook, choir, etc, to just lard up on a list of activities that didnt't really mean anything. So find something you kid really likes to do, support their involvement in it, and see if there are volunteer opportunities to then build on that involvement that reinforce the story you're trying to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread