What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College RBs (1 Viewer)

Portis matured into his current body. I think I remember reading stuff where he even had trouble maintaining the 205 or so he was listed at as a rookie, but with better weight training, general maturity, etc. he is 15-20 heavier than 6-7 years ago. Unfortunately, weight gain is not easy to project even when a player looks like his frame will carry more, especially when you don't want the guy to lose speed or quickness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Portis matured into his current body. I think I remember reading stuff where he even had trouble maintaining the 205 or so he was listed at as a rookie, but with better weight training, general maturity, etc. he is 15-20 heavier than 6-7 years ago. Unfortunately, weight gain is not easy to project even when a player looks like his frame will carry more, especially when you don't want the guy to lose speed or quickness.
That's the dilemma for Moreno. He needs to gain weight AND increase his speed. That rarely, if ever, happens.

Jerimiah Johnson( Oregon ) has over 200 yards rushing in the 1st half including an awesome 83 yard td run. Check it out on Sportcenter tonight.

That's the dilemma for Moreno. He needs to gain weight AND increase his speed. That rarely, if ever, happens.
He doesn't have home run speed, but he's not slow and he gets to top speed quickly. I see some shades of Lynch and Cadillac in his game.

He doesn't have home run speed, but he's not slow and he gets to top speed quickly. I see some shades of Lynch and Cadillac in his game.
Agreed.This is better than top end speed imho. Having a great 40 time isn't mandatory to becoming a great RB.

yeah, Curtis Martin came to mind also. Relative small guy better inside runner, tackle breaker who could be a solid, but not spectacular NFL and fantasy guy for bunches of years. BTW, too many wanna be scouts end to overrate straightlint speed and underrate somewhat boring producer types. At the moment, I don't the Moreno will carry your fantasy team, but you will love him as a solid high end RB2, low End RB 1

too many wanna be scouts end to overrate straightlint speed and underrate somewhat boring producer types. At the moment, I don't the Moreno will carry your fantasy team, but you will love him as a solid high end RB2, low End RB 1
I don't disagree with that, especially the item of straightline speed being over rated...but how high are you willing to draft him? Would you rather draft a guy with RB1 upside with an RB3 floor or a guy with a high end RB2 ceiling and a low end RB2 floor? My problem with Moreno is he will likely be drafted too high to justify his draft position, especially because I expect a guy with a similar ceiling/floor (Shonn Greene) to be available at a cheaper price.

too many wanna be scouts end to overrate straightlint speed and underrate somewhat boring producer types. At the moment, I don't the Moreno will carry your fantasy team, but you will love him as a solid high end RB2, low End RB 1
I don't disagree with that, especially the item of straightline speed being over rated...but how high are you willing to draft him? Would you rather draft a guy with RB1 upside with an RB3 floor or a guy with a high end RB2 ceiling and a low end RB2 floor? My problem with Moreno is he will likely be drafted too high to justify his draft position, especially because I expect a guy with a similar ceiling/floor (Shonn Greene) to be available at a cheaper price.
A lot of this will depend on the structure of the league or what I am able to get in trade. I know that I am in a couple of league getting a RB2 is worth a top 3 or 4 pick while others it no different than pick 7 or 8 unless you have a guy who projects as a superstar. I am not convinced that there are more than a couple of crazy high ceiling guys in this year's draft, so if I get quality proven guys i won't even be answering that question at all. Since his name was mentioned earlier, so what is exactly M, Lynch worth to ya again?

A lot of this will depend on the structure of the league or what I am able to get in trade. I know that I am in a couple of league getting a RB2 is worth a top 3 or 4 pick while others it no different than pick 7 or 8 unless you have a guy who projects as a superstar. I am not convinced that there are more than a couple of crazy high ceiling guys in this year's draft, so if I get quality proven guys i won't even be answering that question at all. Since his name was mentioned earlier, so what is exactly M, Lynch worth to ya again?
Marshawn? A low ceiling, high floor RB2.

Marshawn? A low ceiling, high floor RB2.
Yeah, that's wjhat I mean. If it a a PPR which requires only 1 starting RB (maybe even zero), then a couple of WRs in this draft may go ahead of a good , not great prospect, but if you can start 3 RB w/o PPR then you will draft Moreno and tnot think twice about it.

Jerimiah Johnson( Oregon ) has over 200 yards rushing in the 1st half including an awesome 83 yard td run. Check it out on Sportcenter tonight.
My buddy, & a good college scout, tipped me off to him last week. L.Blount is putting up pretty good #s there too, and I'm wondering if it's the system, or the RBs.

My buddy, & a good college scout, tipped me off to him last week. L.Blount is putting up pretty good #s there too, and I'm wondering if it's the system, or the RBs.
A little bit of both. Johnson is a solid player. He was good enough to force a RBBC with Jonathan Stewart two years ago. I don't think he has great pro potential, but he could be a 5th-7th round pick and make a roster as a Kenny Watson type. Blount is a good college player, but I don't think his game translates very well to the NFL. He's too tall, upright, and straight-line. He's an odd duck. Almost like a DE playing RB.

CJ Spiller's 39 yard run from this afternoon is online. The field-level replay gives you a great feel for his speed:

A little bit of both. Johnson is a solid player. He was good enough to force a RBBC with Jonathan Stewart two years ago. I don't think he has great pro potential, but he could be a 5th-7th round pick and make a roster as a Kenny Watson type. Blount is a good college player, but I don't think his game translates very well to the NFL. He's too tall, upright, and straight-line. He's an odd duck. Almost like a DE playing RB.
Blount reminds me a lot of Jacobs is terms build and skills. Seems like the kinda player an organization will either love or hate, so for me placing a round is tough, but he will get a chance.

Keep an eye on a freshman named Ryan Williams for Virginia Tech. He should be a special one. Darren Evans is also a guy no one seems to be talking about for VT.
Been keeping an eye on him this season...has been good, and had a chance to really show off his talent today in a big game, but those two fumbles didn't help his cause. Definately alot of potential for this kid. Someone to keep on the radar.

Jahvid Best had 19 carries for 312 yards (16.4 ypc) and 4 TDs today against Washington. He was pulled from the blowout with over 10 minutes left in the third quarter. Washington is totally awful, so you can't read too much into it, but a number of his runs showed strength, vision, and speed.

Graig Cooper Soph RB Miami has petitioned for draft status, don't know much about this kid, could he get a high grade?

It seems like everyone at FBG just hates Javon Ringer. He isn't that high on my list either but alot higher than everyone here. CJ Spiller is extremely hyped here and I just don't see it, he is loved on these boards more than anywhere else in the country or on the internet.

My guess is our resident NFL draft scout EBF has alot of sway in the minds of the masses on here. I enjoy what EBF has to say and think he's very knowledgeable. Please keep hyping up CJ Spiller to the point where I get great value at 1.5.

In my league last season the first 16 picks went in the EXACT order that FBG had the dynasty rookies ranked and I see lots of value for me if FBG is just off by a little.

Jonathan Dwyer is a guy you can steal this year (he's a true sophomore, so he's got 1 more year before he's draft eligible), or pay dearly for next year when he'll the top prospect at RB.

He's 235lbs. and was the state runner up in the 100m in Georgia in high school (ran a 10.8!). He's a nasty physical runner between the tackles and has true breakaway speed deep that you don't find in backs his size. He had 9 TD's and averaged 5 YPC backing up Tashard Choice last year as a true freshman and he ran for 1,328 and 12 TD's this year on a ridiculous 7 YPC as the feature back. He had TD runs of 88, 80, 66, 60 and 58 this year and a 79 yard screen pass for a score. I've seen people compare him to Earl Campbell in the punishing way he runs, it's hard to really think of anyone in recent memory who's as big and physical as he is but with the truly elite speed at the top end.

I agree that Dwyer is a ridiculous combination of power and speed, but most of us don't get to take college players on our rosters so we'll have to wait until next year.

Hopefully the abuse he takes from all those naked plunges into the line from the A-back position doesn't catch up to him in the next year.

It seems like everyone at FBG just hates Javon Ringer. He isn't that high on my list either but alot higher than everyone here. CJ Spiller is extremely hyped here and I just don't see it, he is loved on these boards more than anywhere else in the country or on the internet.

My guess is our resident NFL draft scout EBF has alot of sway in the minds of the masses on here. I enjoy what EBF has to say and think he's very knowledgeable. Please keep hyping up CJ Spiller to the point where I get great value at 1.5.

In my league last season the first 16 picks went in the EXACT order that FBG had the dynasty rookies ranked and I see lots of value for me if FBG is just off by a little.
Ringer has a chance, just don't assume stardom. He has impressive numbers this season, but he's done most of it through sheer accumulation of touches (over 400 carries with one more game still on the schedule). He's one of the fringe guys outside my top 12. If he has a good showing at the combine and lands in a good situation then he might be worth a look higher. As for Spiller, the NFL loves speed. Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson aren't traditional featured backs, but they're making a big impact because they have big play skills and they fit well with their team's personnel. Why can't Spiller mirror their success? He's faster than Slaton and stronger than Johnson. His career YPC average is over 5 in a BCS conference and he's the Clemson record holder for plays of 50+ yards. His instincts are a little suspect, but his production is solid and he absolutely has first round type athletic ability. I challenge you to watch these clips and say otherwise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xvJ_RLburU...feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefxbFwsxGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqnqJn_UQx8...feature=related

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
I agree that Dwyer is a ridiculous combination of power and speed, but most of us don't get to take college players on our rosters so we'll have to wait until next year. Hopefully the abuse he takes from all those naked plunges into the line from the A-back position doesn't catch up to him in the next year.
He really has had a light work load though - he only carried 190 times all season and even if you give him another 5 or so "carries" per game on plays where he gets hit after the option mesh it's still not a giant workload - this isn't Cedric Benson type abuse we're talking about. In fact, because GT has so many backs and the ball gets spread around a lot, he's really get less reps than most big time backs. McCoy has had over 275 carries each of his two seasons so far, Dwyer is far, far below that number even counting option dives.FWIW - he's a "B" back. The "A" backs are the slot/wing backs (Roddy Jones is an interesting prospect to watch there actually, he's a R-FR - good hands, speedy and a physical runner ... kind of a L. Washington type back).

Graig Cooper Soph RB Miami has petitioned for draft status, don't know much about this kid, could he get a high grade?
My comments from the Miami v. Florida game:CRAIG COOPER, RUNNING BACK (6'0 202) SOPHOMORE (# 2)

STATS: 15 carries 31 yards (2.1 avg)

Tough to get a good look at Cooper because Florida defenders were constantly in the backfield. Did not do a great job of reading blocks. Made cuts too early. Brought down very easily, usually by first defender. Looks like he has speed, but if he can't run inside the tackles, won't be able to use it much in the pros. I was expecting more.

Ringer has a chance, just don't assume stardom. He has impressive numbers this season, but he's done most of it through sheer accumulation of touches (over 400 carries with one more game still on the schedule). He's one of the fringe guys outside my top 12. If he has a good showing at the combine and lands in a good situation then he might be worth a look higher. As for Spiller, the NFL loves speed. Steve Slaton and Chris Johnson aren't traditional featured backs, but they're making a big impact because they have big play skills and they fit well with their team's personnel. Why can't Spiller mirror their success? He's faster than Slaton and stronger than Johnson. His career YPC average is over 5 in a BCS conference and he's the Clemson record holder for plays of 50+ yards. His instincts are a little suspect, but his production is solid and he absolutely has first round type athletic ability. I challenge you to watch these clips and say otherwise:

great wiggle, great speed, and great power. whats his size and weight? regardless, if he lands even in a OK situation, i think hes a top 5 pick in fantasy drafts.

Draft Scout has him listed at 5'11.2" and 193 pounds, but that's smaller than Chris Johnson. I think Spiller looks bigger than that. My guess is that he's probably 205-210.

i missed the boat on slaton, but thought that johnson and forte would be good backs... now, i didnt think that johnson would be as good as he has been... but i still thought that he was what the titans wanted in henry when they drafted him. i also still believe that the top 3 will end up being solid fantasy back, but mcfadden is stuck in the black hole.... stewart has impressed me as well, while mendenhall, who i thought was the #2 behind mcfadden, has been a let down so far.i think the top 10 prospects right now if they all declare are...

moreno

wells

maclin

crabtree

harvin

spiller

stafford

mccoy

greene

heyward bay

on the edge

derrick williams

bradford

ringer

murry

james davis

Any thoughts on these players?

RB - Herb Donaldson - Western Illinois

RB - Obozua Ehikioya - Marist

RB - Mike Hamilton - Georgia Southern

RB - Rashad Jennings - Liberty

RB - Nate Kmic - Mount Union

RB - Corey Lewis - Northern Iowa

RB - Jay Lucas - Southeastern Louisiana

RB - Mike McLeod - Yale

RB - Branden Ore - West Liberty State

RB - JT Rogan - San Diego

RB - Bernard Scott - Abilene Christian

RB - Jordan Scott - Colgate

RB - Jerry Seymour - Glenville State

RB - Javarris Williams - Tennessee State

RB - Josh Vaughan - Richmond

Caleb King is going to be the next great RB at Georgia. He played behind Knowshown this year and looked good in limited opportunities. He has better top end speed than Knowshon and also has very good vision.

Any thoughts on these players?RB - Herb Donaldson - Western IllinoisRB - Obozua Ehikioya - MaristRB - Mike Hamilton - Georgia SouthernRB - Rashad Jennings - LibertyRB - Nate Kmic - Mount UnionRB - Corey Lewis - Northern IowaRB - Jay Lucas - Southeastern LouisianaRB - Mike McLeod - YaleRB - Branden Ore - West Liberty StateRB - JT Rogan - San DiegoRB - Bernard Scott - Abilene ChristianRB - Jordan Scott - ColgateRB - Jerry Seymour - Glenville StateRB - Javarris Williams - Tennessee StateRB - Josh Vaughan - Richmond
I like Herb Donaldson a lot better than Corey Lewis.....but those are the only two I have seen in person.

Caleb King is going to be the next great RB at Georgia. He played behind Knowshown this year and looked good in limited opportunities. He has better top end speed than Knowshon and also has very good vision.
king is a beast. so is richard samuel, so is dontavius jackson. not to mention a new recruit this year who had 58 rushing TD's this season.

Gartrell Johnson from Col St doesn't have any speed but he has everything else you want in a RB and if he goes to the right team he could put up some numbers. I think Denver would be a great fit. If he can run 4.65 or below in the combine, I think he will get drafted 4th round or so.

king is a beast. so is richard samuel, so is dontavius jackson. not to mention a new recruit this year who had 58 rushing TD's this season.
I think Samuel will eventually be moved to LB. King and Ealey will be the new two headed attack for UGA next year.

I think Samuel will eventually be moved to LB. King and Ealey will be the new two headed attack for UGA next year.
Don't forget about this kid:
Could be the best of the bunch in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread