What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Commish question (1 Viewer)

isuvike

Footballguy
I'm the commissioner of a league and apparently one of the payout checks I wrote has been lost in the mail.

If I stop payment on the check and re-issue a new one, who do you think should pay the fee to stop payment? (USPS is not an option, unfortunately)

I'm leaning towards paying it myself, but wonder what others think is proper protocol.

Thanks!

I'm the commissioner of a league and apparently one of the payout checks I wrote has been lost in the mail.

If I stop payment on the check and re-issue a new one, who do you think should pay the fee to stop payment? (USPS is not an option, unfortunately)

I'm leaning towards paying it myself, but wonder what others think is proper protocol.

Thanks!
You pay it. Try using paypal next time or spend the extra couple bucks & send it certified.

You pay.

If someone sent you a check for his membership in the league, and it didn't make it, you wouldn't expect to have to pay for it; it would be his responsibility to get it to you.

You pay.

If someone sent you a check for his membership in the league, and it didn't make it, you wouldn't expect to have to pay for it; it would be his responsibility to get it to you.
Agreed.

You pay.

Correct!

Funny that this topic just came up as it has arisen in my league.

I'm commish and calculated all balances about the same time I hosted a Texas Hold'em tournament in late Jan. I invited everyone in the league and the 2nd place finisher couldn't attend (if it wasn't his daughter b'day, he would have been there). Anyway, since I normally don't see him that often, HE INSTRUCTED me to give the check to my neighbor who is also in the league whom he sees pretty often and this neighbor attended the tournament. I give the check to the neighbor the night of the tourney.

Fast fwd: Wife does the check book and tells me the check hasn't cleared. I contact BOTH the 2nd place finisher and the neighbor by email and ask both to look for the check.

Neighbor SWEARS he gave it to 2nd place finisher.

2nd place finisher can't find the check...........doesn't remember getting check, but doesn't swear that he DIDN'T get the check.

(NOTE: Neighbor is very reliable and more of a friend of mine.......2nd place finisher sorta reliable)

End of story: 2nd place finisher emails me last week and tells me to mail him another check minus any check fee I would incur. Original Check was for $184................

Edit to add: The neighbor ended up winning this tournament! (28 participants)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!
you pay it.

You pay.

:yes: Sucks, since you're the Commish, and in good faith you mailed the $$ out, and now you're eating the extra cost (and you don't even get paid for the job). :yucky:

I have been on both ends of lost checks! As A commish and as a reciept. My banks charge is only ten. I tell the guys to use pay pal but not all do! Paypal you can transfer money back and forth in a click. Always have a record of transactions, and earn a fantastic interest on your league kitty. All for free plus 5% to 6% interest paid to you for storeing your league kitty with them. So if you keep your kitty of a 1000 or more like I do year round you easily make enough interest on the kitty to pay am occasional lost check. I use the interest to help keep web cost free in all my leagues!

I tell the winners I'll pay them when I see them. I do enjoy these little visits from time to time. League champs seem to find me the quickest. :shock:

If it has to be paid, I say you pay it. A lot of banks (I know Bank of America for sure) don't charge a stop payment fee for a lost or stolen check.

isnt propper protocol to get paid in a timely manner???? :eek: guys in my league would be up in arms if it took this long to get their money . pay for the stop payment it is your responsibility to see too it that the transaction goes thru.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a fellow Commish, I do not believe the Commish should ever be out of pocket his personal money. As such, the league should collectively pay it. In the future, I'd suggest more automated payment methods (like Paypal) for distributing winnings.

Users who are viewing this thread