What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Companies you believe in (1 Viewer)

Very low-tech comp'd to AAPL, but I'm all over Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). While tastes may differ amongst people, you can't deny the popularity of these restaurants. If you've ever been in one at lunchtime, chances are, the line is out the door. They're only located in 20-something states right now, but they have great management as they were spun off from McDonald's and they just do things right. It's a stock in the 60s now, but there's still plenty of room for it to grow and I'm going to keep holding and buying more. Everytime they have a bump in price due to good earnings, etc., I always make it a point to get a celebratory burrito bol.
When I posted this, CMG was at $60.25/share. Today it's at $77.20. Time for another celebratory burrito.

Very low-tech comp'd to AAPL, but I'm all over Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). While tastes may differ amongst people, you can't deny the popularity of these restaurants. If you've ever been in one at lunchtime, chances are, the line is out the door. They're only located in 20-something states right now, but they have great management as they were spun off from McDonald's and they just do things right. It's a stock in the 60s now, but there's still plenty of room for it to grow and I'm going to keep holding and buying more. Everytime they have a bump in price due to good earnings, etc., I always make it a point to get a celebratory burrito bol.
When I posted this, CMG was at $60.25/share. Today it's at $77.20. Time for another celebratory burrito.
;) :thumbup:

Speaking of the thread title, AAPL broke 100 today for the first time.

What a little dynamo. :thumbup:

Speaking of the thread title, AAPL broke 100 today for the first time.What a little dynamo. :goodposting:
Closed above 105 today.
jeez.. i bought a BUNCH at $84 right before the iPhone announcement and never dreamed it'd hit this hard this fast. gotta love AAPL :lmao:
You must be feeling pretty good about now. I just wish I'd had more money to put in when I did.When I started, AAPL was at 88. Now it's 105.If I had bought 100 shares, I'd be up about $1,700 right now on a $8,800 investment, in only a little over two months.

What a little dynamo. :banned:
Closed above 105 today.
jeez.. i bought a BUNCH at $84 right before the iPhone announcement and never dreamed it'd hit this hard this fast. gotta love AAPL :nerd:
You must be feeling pretty good about now. I just wish I'd had more money to put in when I did.When I started, AAPL was at 88. Now it's 105.

If I had bought 100 shares, I'd be up about $1,700 right now on a $8,800 investment, in only a little over two months.
I bought my AAPL in 2000 at $25. It then fell to $12 a few months later and my wife wanted me to cut my loses and sell. I held on, it has since split once and jumped to $105. I just wish I had bought more when it fell to $12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a flyer on some May options at $110. I had written these off as worthless about 2 weeks ago, but it looks like we may have some traction for a move here. 5 more points in 10 days? It could happen.

:banned:

these things are hard to determine. The only one I've taken a chance on was buffalo wild wings since it was a motley fool recomendation.

What a little dynamo. :confused:
Closed above 105 today.
jeez.. i bought a BUNCH at $84 right before the iPhone announcement and never dreamed it'd hit this hard this fast. gotta love AAPL :lmao:
You must be feeling pretty good about now. I just wish I'd had more money to put in when I did.When I started, AAPL was at 88. Now it's 105.

If I had bought 100 shares, I'd be up about $1,700 right now on a $8,800 investment, in only a little over two months.
I bought my AAPL in 2000 at $25. It then fell to $12 a few months later and my wife wanted me to cut my loses and sell. I held on, it has since split once and jumped to $105. I just wish I had bought more when it fell to $12.
:nerd:

Perosonally I think AAPL is a bit overpriced at the moment. If I had some (I don't), I would hold onto it though it will probably correct significantly down relatively soon - long term it will provide a nice holding.

My favorite right now - SSD. It has a lock on its business the like of which is only seen in Altria (see how they've done lately?). Altria is locked into the market because the politicians are sucking at the lawsuit payout teat and want to make damn sure the money keeps rolling in. Simpson Manufacturing is also locked in politically. They make one of the most boring items imaginable - metal ties for new housing construction. In many states and localities their products are required in building codes by name (i.e. the codes themselves indicate you must use Simpson). Many, many of those building codes have changed in recent years to increase the reliance on these products due to the spate of hurricanes lately. The latest mega tornado in KS will probably result in more regulation in the midwest, as well. Talk about locked in.

Like all businesses associated with the housing market they have taken a hit lately. But that is a good thing - a really good thing. They are cheap right now. Darn cheap. Their international expansion plans are going along well. They have started the climb back up. I am personally expecting a 25%-30% or so return year over year for the next 5 years with this one.

Other stocks I believe to be bargains today and have initiated positions in:

PFE

JNJ

WMT

BPOP

WM

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech....2CF369889B.html

Great article on the present state and future of Apple. Possibly the best article on analyzing apple's strategy that I've read in some time.
:blackdot: Great article. It really sheds some light on how all of Apple's products are interconnected. The integration of OS X into the iPhone (and future products) is a huge stepping stone for Apple and the Mac platform as a whole.

I also really liked this article about Apple TV and it's use of RSS. Apple TV has really flown under the radar but I think it's true potential has yet to be fully revealed.

ORCL

They are on the verge of being a monopoly. They keep buying up small software application companies that are immediately profitable. Their software (RDBMS) is more robust than any on the market (read: Microsoft) and they continue to stay ahead of the curve... nobody will catch them in the near-to-distant future.
:boxing: SAP has the market share
And what database does SAP run on?
touche, i just found this out yesterday. sorry.

Was just looking for this thread to bump it.

Apple now up over 108. This puppy keeps going ;)

Great article on the present state and future of Apple. Possibly the best article on analyzing apple's strategy that I've read in some time.
:whoosh: Great article. It really sheds some light on how all of Apple's products are interconnected. The integration of OS X into the iPhone (and future products) is a huge stepping stone for Apple and the Mac platform as a whole.
Is that article objective though?J

:mellow: Great article. It really sheds some light on how all of Apple's products are interconnected. The integration of OS X into the iPhone (and future products) is a huge stepping stone for Apple and the Mac platform as a whole.
I'm not objective on Apple, so I may not be the best person to listen to, but what I liked about the article is how it takes the history of what apple has done, looks at their current products, looks at what they're releasing, analyzes the strength of the products, and discusses the importance of how they're doing business.It seems obvious that it's written by a pro-apple person, but I think it's not blinded by optimism or devotion. Read it for yourself. Research the claims it makes. Do you have any apple products?

Was just looking for this thread to bump it.Apple now up over 108. This puppy keeps going :banned:
Why oh why couldn't I have had more money when I bought Apple stock 7 years ago??!!!! :lmao: :cry: :cry:Edited to add..............at $18.00 a share????!!!!!!

adonis said:
Joe Bryant said:

:goodposting: Great article. It really sheds some light on how all of Apple's products are interconnected. The integration of OS X into the iPhone (and future products) is a huge stepping stone for Apple and the Mac platform as a whole.
I'm not objective on Apple, so I may not be the best person to listen to, but what I liked about the article is how it takes the history of what apple has done, looks at their current products, looks at what they're releasing, analyzes the strength of the products, and discusses the importance of how they're doing business.It seems obvious that it's written by a pro-apple person, but I think it's not blinded by optimism or devotion. Read it for yourself. Research the claims it makes. Do you have any apple products?
Hi adonis,Thanks. I read it and it really read as fawning homerism to me. Vista's a joke / trainwreck and the pushback on the dates they had were laughable but Leopard's pushback is all cool because we have to focus on the iphone. Just seemed like an apologetic piece to me.

For products, I bought the big screen iMac in December. And my family owns 5 iPods.

J

adonis said:
Joe Bryant said:

:X Great article. It really sheds some light on how all of Apple's products are interconnected. The integration of OS X into the iPhone (and future products) is a huge stepping stone for Apple and the Mac platform as a whole.
Hi adonis,Thanks. I read it and it really read as fawning homerism to me. Vista's a joke / trainwreck and the pushback on the dates they had were laughable but Leopard's pushback is all cool because we have to focus on the iphone. Just seemed like an apologetic piece to me.

For products, I bought the big screen iMac in December. And my family owns 5 iPods.

J
You have to admit that 6 years between releasing Windows XP and Vista is a long time, considering all the release delays the OS had for one reason or another. And even after all the delays, 6 years later, the long awaited new Windows OS comes out, and what happens? Consumers don't want it because it isn't compatible with what they currently have, businesses don't want to upgrade to it yet because of all the bugs, computer suppliers have to revert to selling computers with XP because of all the complaints from their business customers of not wanting computers with Vista preinstalled. It HAS been a trainwreck and the setbacks have been numerous and they are laughable. They've still released a buggy OS that as of yet, very few people seem to want. All this coming from someone who has used Windows since you launched it from DOS. I love XP, btw, but it's clear to me that Vista's release has been lackluster, to say the very least. OS X on the other hand is updated much more frequently (about 1.5 year life cycle), and in its current state, OS X 10.4 (Tiger) is very similar to Vista, and it's been around for over a year, and it works flawlessly. Granted, they control their hardware and software very closely, but that's their plan, and that's part of what makes Apple so great. They stick to a few things, and they do them very well. They produce elegant products that "just work", that people really seem to love. They're tapped into what consumers want, and they're one of the best in the business at producing "cool" items that are great.

My boss just got a new macbook pro, and he runs OS X 10.4 and windows XP, simultaneously. It's amazing to see a windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and the OSX taskbar on the right side of the screen, with no problems. Of course, this is to the credit of a program called Parallels, but Apple is making all the right moves (like switching to Intel chips) to make these kinds of things happen. So those who like windows can run windows on their mac, benefit from the superior craftsmanship that Apple offers, and still use their mission critical software that's tied to windows. This type of consumer-centric thinking is what makes apple a successful company, and it's only going to get better with their expansion into different markets. They realize that many people need microsoft OS's to work, and they took a direction which allowed this to become a possibility, without losing sight of producing an excellent OS on excellent hardware with excellent compatibility.

They're now expanding into home entertainment (apple TV) and cellular phones (iphone). They're teaming up with google(iphone, google CEO is on board of apple). They're experimenting with content on demand (streaming movies, songs, HD-content). They're providing a feature rich, but highly controlled phone based on their OS X technology (multi-touch display phone, wifi, integrated ipod). They're constantly innovating and producing patented technology that positions them to be an industry leader in their fields (check out news stories on apples recent patents) There are so many reasons to be excited about the future of Apple, not just as an investor, but as a consumer, and the article linked above, gave pretty good reasons as to why that excitement is warranted.

I understand how the article could be read as "fawning homerism" to some people, but being a recent convert to an Apple fan, all my research, reading and experience with apple products tells me that the article is a fairly accurate appraisal of the current state of apple, and the direction in which it's headed. If it's not clear now how accurate the article is, bookmark it and revisit it later and it will become more clear.

Steve jobs recently stated that Apple is skating to where the puck is going to be. I'm only now starting to realize just how true this is, and that article paints a clear picture of how they've done it in the past, and what current indicators show regarding the direction they're going in the future. I'm more excited to be a consumer of apple products than I am of being an investor in the company, and I can't say that I've ever felt that way before.

Read somewhere this morning that analysts are predicting 150 for Apple.

Some blog, can't remember which one.

:lmao: Riding it perhaps for another year. As crucial as iPhone sales may be in maintaining this level of growth, I don't think the new OSX Leopard was given enough credit. From what I saw, it blew Vista out of the water with both maneuverability and efficiency and offered similar "premium features" with its various apps. Once people see its merits on the open market, I think it could be the biggest advance in personal computing since Windows itself.

I feel the same about AAPL. Been big on the bandwagon (with my mouth, not so much my money) since about this time last year. Just an awesome company that consistently innovates and just puts out superior products. I think in NYC we see it more than people in other parts of the country -- if you take the subway to work every morning, you see how many people have the white headphones on leading into the obvious iPod in their pocket. These things are everywhere.I love AAPL as well, and I think long term it is going to be a great investment.
:lmao: :cry:

:thumbup: Riding it perhaps for another year. As crucial as iPhone sales may be in maintaining this level of growth, I don't think the new OSX Leopard was given enough credit. From what I saw, it blew Vista out of the water with both maneuverability and efficiency and offered similar "premium features" with its various apps. Once people see its merits on the open market, I think it could be the biggest advance in personal computing since Windows itself.
I look for AAPL to have a very strong 2nd half of 2007. iPhone launch in June. Leopard in October. All rumors point to a new iMac redesign with a completely new form factor to be released somewhere in between (late summer?). The iPods/Nano are overdue for an update with perhaps the Apple TV and iTunes store seeing a revision/new features heading into the holiday season. Rumors of Apple launching movie rentals from iTunes also persist and would boost Apple TV's appeal. :thumbup:

I feel the same about AAPL. Been big on the bandwagon (with my mouth, not so much my money) since about this time last year. Just an awesome company that consistently innovates and just puts out superior products. I think in NYC we see it more than people in other parts of the country -- if you take the subway to work every morning, you see how many people have the white headphones on leading into the obvious iPod in their pocket. These things are everywhere.I love AAPL as well, and I think long term it is going to be a great investment.
:cry: :cry:
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread