What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Williams To Be Traded To Cleveland (1 Viewer)

Wow and if #4 doesnt come back you can add to that anohter 12 mill.
Doesn't matter if we're 100 million under. TT isn't one to pull a Daniel Snyder or Al Davis or Jerry Jones and go out there flinging cash around at overpriced FA's. He's clearly a draft builder and it's worked wonderfully since he came here. He will use that money to sign our picks and reward our current players however. 4 picks in the first two rounds is fantastic. Our fairly deep team is about to get even deeper.
any thought that they snag a RB with one of those picks?
I wouldn't rule it out if someone dropped to them, but I don't think it's a high priority. TT has always been a "best player available" type of drafter. Drafting for needs sometimes gets you into trouble. See Mike Sherman.

Cornerback, Safety, Guard, Tackle in the first four, though not necessarily in that order. Some chance a t.E. sneaks in if one drops and presents great value
I'd say TE is a need now that Bubba is gone. Probably more of a need than tackle at this point. Cliffy and Tausch should be ok for another year, just get them some solid backups.

Cornerback, Safety, Guard, Tackle in the first four, though not necessarily in that order. Some chance a t.E. sneaks in if one drops and presents great value
I'd say TE is a need now that Bubba is gone. Probably more of a need than tackle at this point. Cliffy and Tausch should be ok for another year, just get them some solid backups.
I don't think TE will be a pick in the first 4 unless someone is just a big standout.I see at least a veteran FA blocking TE being brought in (a guy like Ben Hartsock from the Titans)...and then a later pick used on a TE that can block.Not sure where he is projected but I like the kid from Tennessee...like 6'7" 270.

I don't think TE will be a pick in the first 4 unless someone is just a big standout.I see at least a veteran FA blocking TE being brought in (a guy like Ben Hartsock from the Titans)...and then a later pick used on a TE that can block.Not sure where he is projected but I like the kid from Tennessee...like 6'7" 270.
Brad Cottam, Tennessee Height: 6-7. Weight: 270. Projected 40 Time: 4.68. Combine 40 Time: 4.68. Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 33. Projected Round: 2-3. Brad Cottam ran a really impressive 40 at his size and looked fluid in the drills. A monstrous tight end with decent size, Brad Cottam could be the best blocker at his position in this class. I wouldn't be too upset with this pick by any means.

Brad Cottam, Tennessee Height: 6-7. Weight: 270. Projected 40 Time: 4.68. Combine 40 Time: 4.68. Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 33. Projected Round: 2-3. Brad Cottam ran a really impressive 40 at his size and looked fluid in the drills. A monstrous tight end with decent size, Brad Cottam could be the best blocker at his position in this class. I wouldn't be too upset with this pick by any means.
Yup...thats him. Caught a big TD in the bowl game against Wisconsin too.Hell...draft him as a tackle in the zone blocking at that size.

John Clayton contends the Browns are sending a 2nd rounder to Green Bay and Williams will sign a 6-year, $38mm contract.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3270118

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :thumbdown:
Wow...DTs are getting paid.I am anxious to see what Haynesworth gets.
Given the Titans cap situation, I would guess they don't come to terms on a long-term deal before the season. He'll get the one-year tender and they'll be back to the drawing board in 2009.

John Clayton contends the Browns are sending a 2nd rounder to Green Bay and Williams will sign a 6-year, $38mm contract.

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :thumbdown:
Given the Titans cap situation, I would guess they don't come to terms on a long-term deal before the season. He'll get the one-year tender and they'll be back to the drawing board in 2009.
Huh? They are in a great cap situation.

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :lmao:
Huh? They are in a great cap situation.
:lmao: Yep...sorry about that, looks like botched that one. Scanned across my spreadsheet and thought they had $4mm under; obviously that's not the case. :lmao:

I don't think TE will be a pick in the first 4 unless someone is just a big standout.I see at least a veteran FA blocking TE being brought in (a guy like Ben Hartsock from the Titans)...and then a later pick used on a TE that can block.

Not sure where he is projected but I like the kid from Tennessee...like 6'7" 270.
Brad Cottam, Tennessee Height: 6-7. Weight: 270.

Projected 40 Time: 4.68.

Combine 40 Time: 4.68.

Benchx225: 24. Vertical: 33.

Projected Round: 2-3.

Brad Cottam ran a really impressive 40 at his size and looked fluid in the drills.

A monstrous tight end with decent size, Brad Cottam could be the best blocker at his position in this class.

I wouldn't be too upset with this pick by any means.
Yup...thats him. Caught a big TD in the bowl game against Wisconsin too.Hell...draft him as a tackle in the zone blocking at that size.
Rumors from the combine say that Green Bay was all over Jermichael Finley. The numbers weren't great. But he looked the best catching the ball from what I understand. Pretty athletic guy.http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/273716

But Finley, a redshirt sophomore who caught 45 passes for 575 yards while starting all 13 games last season, said the Packers have shown the most interest in him since he arrived in town. In fact, he said the Packers told him he would be one of their 60 allotted 15-minute interviews.

I wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a linebacker high. That is one of the areas they could use improvement both in the starting unit and depth.

People need to stop projecting positions when declaring what the Packers may or may not draft on the first day (or any day for that matter) - I think the Harrell pick pretty much assures us that Thompson will follow his board and will take the BPA, no matter what.

Aaronstory said:
People need to stop projecting positions when declaring what the Packers may or may not draft on the first day (or any day for that matter) - I think the Harrell pick pretty much assures us that Thompson will follow his board and will take the BPA, no matter what.
I think you can project positions but not rounds. TT has a method to his madness. If you look at the last couple drafts you can see trends in the types of players and the positions he values over others.

Jason Wood said:

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :popcorn:
Jason? What is the deal? Did some Browns fan piss in your cornflakes or something? You've been ripping into the 6'6 230lb 24 year old, first year starter, ten game winner in fifteen starts, Pro Bowler, Derek Anderson saying he's nothing and now you are smiling emoticon the signing of Williams because you think Tommy Kelly's contract means Cleveland will have to pay more?Ask yourself this question. Do you think any NFL team would make a trade for a franchised player without a deal in place or do you just think that the Browns who have one of the best managed salary caps in the entire league are the only team who would make a deal and not have the contract hammered out?

Now if you really do have a problem with Cleveland fans then just own up to it but its pretty obvious that you do indeed have some issue so what is it that has set you off?

Williams is EXACTLY what the Browns needed on their defensive line. He not only fills a hole but he upgrades the D-line for the Browns. Tommy Kelly showed the supply/demand and price impact. The Browns not only got Kelly but I'm sure they wouldn't pull the trigger unless they had a deal in place. Maybe you should switch to decaf or herbal tea. Not sure what the Cleveland issue is but calm down. If Cleveland makes a deal that helps them out and it also works well with the Pack then it shouldn't hurt you or give you reason to rip on the Browns.

Aaronstory said:
Yeah...but how fun is that for us to discuss?

Jason Wood said:

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :popcorn:
Jason? What is the deal? Did some Browns fan piss in your cornflakes or something? You've been ripping into the 6'6 230lb 24 year old, first year starter, ten game winner in fifteen starts, Pro Bowler, Derek Anderson saying he's nothing and now you are smiling emoticon the signing of Williams because you think Tommy Kelly's contract means Cleveland will have to pay more?Ask yourself this question. Do you think any NFL team would make a trade for a franchised player without a deal in place or do you just think that the Browns who have one of the best managed salary caps in the entire league are the only team who would make a deal and not have the contract hammered out?

Now if you really do have a problem with Cleveland fans then just own up to it but its pretty obvious that you do indeed have some issue so what is it that has set you off?

Williams is EXACTLY what the Browns needed on their defensive line. He not only fills a hole but he upgrades the D-line for the Browns. Tommy Kelly showed the supply/demand and price impact. The Browns not only got Kelly but I'm sure they wouldn't pull the trigger unless they had a deal in place. Maybe you should switch to decaf or herbal tea. Not sure what the Cleveland issue is but calm down. If Cleveland makes a deal that helps them out and it also works well with the Pack then it shouldn't hurt you or give you reason to rip on the Browns.
Overracting a bit?I honestly think he's saying it's a bargain price. :excited:

Jason Wood said:

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :fishing:

Hey Bracie,You read into my statement entirely the wrong way. I think Corey Williams was worth franchising, and I think the Browns getting him for that kind of contract is a sweet deal; because I think he's far more likely to be an elite DT than Tommy Kelly, for example.

Aaronstory said:
We could project who the BPA will be at #30 :goodposting: Potentials:Chris Williams OTCalais Campbell DEBranden Albert GKenny Phillips SQuentin Groves DE/LBDan Connor LBFelix Jones RBD Rodgers-Cromartie CB/SAquib Talib CBReggie Smith CB/SAntoine Cason CB

I don't know. Before last season Corey Williams was just a guy. Now after one good year (in his contract year no less) the Browns trade a draft pick and sign him to a 6-year deal. It's a gamble but then again aren't all free agents?

Actually he had two good seasons. 7 sacks last season and the season before. You have to wonder though why the Packers were so quick to give him away instead of resigning to a contract.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know. Before last season Corey Williams was just a guy. Now after one good year (in his contract year no less) the Browns trade a draft pick and sign him to a 6-year deal. It's a gamble but then again aren't all free agents?Actually he had two good seasons. 7 sacks last season and the season before. You have to wonder though why the Packers were so quick to give him away instead of resigning to a contract.
I think he was a little more than just a guy, but I agree with you to certain point. Two years ago in the 7 sack year, 3 of them came against Buffalo. I do think he is an ascending player but he has his limitations. He is a good inside pass rusher, which teams pay a premium for, but just average vs. the run in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how he handles playing a larger percentage of the snaps. He also is not going to be in the advantageous position of having Pickett next to him and Kampmann on the outside. He will probably now receive a few more double teams.

I don't know. Before last season Corey Williams was just a guy. Now after one good year (in his contract year no less) the Browns trade a draft pick and sign him to a 6-year deal. It's a gamble but then again aren't all free agents?Actually he had two good seasons. 7 sacks last season and the season before. You have to wonder though why the Packers were so quick to give him away instead of resigning to a contract.
Deep Dline. How much money is devoted into it right now, or will need to be in the near future? Just a thought.

Jason Wood said:

Of course, if Williams' agent saw what Tommy Kelly got last night, there may be a glitch in those negotiations. :thumbup:

Hey Bracie,You read into my statement entirely the wrong way. I think Corey Williams was worth franchising, and I think the Browns getting him for that kind of contract is a sweet deal; because I think he's far more likely to be an elite DT than Tommy Kelly, for example.
Mia culpa, I did read you wrong. And your points are valid per Corey vis-a-vis Tommy Kelly's contract. Savage made his move and pounced with impecable timing. The cost of DTs is going to get bumped up and once again kudos to the Pack. This deal isn't zero sum. The Browns AND the Pack made out quite well.

Aaronstory said:
:goodposting:

Aaronstory said:
We could project who the BPA will be at #30 :confused: Potentials:Chris Williams OTCalais Campbell DEBranden Albert GKenny Phillips SQuentin Groves DE/LBDan Connor LBFelix Jones RBD Rodgers-Cromartie CB/SAquib Talib CBReggie Smith CB/SAntoine Cason CB
No chance Rivers makes it down to 30?

Aaronstory said:
We could project who the BPA will be at #30 :confused: Potentials:Chris Williams OTCalais Campbell DEBranden Albert GKenny Phillips SQuentin Groves DE/LBDan Connor LBFelix Jones RBD Rodgers-Cromartie CB/SAquib Talib CBReggie Smith CB/SAntoine Cason CB
No chance Rivers makes it down to 30?
I didn't think so. Have you seen/heard differently? If he was I think he'd be a prime BPA candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread