What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Crabtree throws Alex Smith under the bus (1 Viewer)

What Michael Crabtree just saidby CohnZohnI just got back from the 49ers’ locker room down here in Santa Clara. We spoke to Michael Crabtree, asked how new offensive coordinator Mike Johnson did on Sunday. This is what Crabtree said:“Mike Johnson did his thing. He did what he was supposed to do. He got everybody the ball. Only thing is, Mike Johnson can’t throw the ball. He can just call plays.”When Crabtree said that, many reporters exchanged glances. You could take Crabtree’s words one of two ways:He was making a general statement about coaches not being able to play – players play and must execute. Players say this all the time.Or Crabtree was saying Johnson called good plays but Alex Smith did not execute well enough. If Crabtree meant No. 2, he was taking a shot at his quarterback.I honestly don’t know what he meant. I’m just telling you what he said.

The truth hurts sometimes, but sometimes it has to be said.

I remember when Mike brown called out the Bears D and they went on a tear making the playoffs..

Always a brilliant career move to call out your QB. Well done, son. :lmao:
He's still an amateur. When he starts saying Smith is throwing all the bad passes to him and all the good passes to Davis and Morgan then he can join Roy Williams at the big boy's table.

What Michael Crabtree just said

by CohnZohn

I just got back from the 49ers’ locker room down here in Santa Clara. We spoke to Michael Crabtree, asked how new offensive coordinator Mike Johnson did on Sunday. This is what Crabtree said:

“Mike Johnson did his thing. He did what he was supposed to do. He got everybody the ball. Only thing is, Mike Johnson can’t throw the ball. He can just call plays.”

When Crabtree said that, many reporters exchanged glances. You could take Crabtree’s words one of two ways:

He was making a general statement about coaches not being able to play – players play and must execute. Players say this all the time.

Or Crabtree was saying Johnson called good plays but Alex Smith did not execute well enough. If Crabtree meant No. 2, he was taking a shot at his quarterback.

I honestly don’t know what he meant. I’m just telling you what he said.
I would agree with that. The statement was ambiguos. Maybe he meant to diss Smith, maybe he didn't. I will give him the benefit of the doubt this time.

Didn't Smith start off on fire in this game? Going like 8 for 8 and an TD early on?

Anybody know what happened from there?

Didn't Smith start off on fire in this game? Going like 8 for 8 and an TD early on? Anybody know what happened from there?
The playcalling is just putrid (still). Yes, he started off good, but it's always the same dink and dunk crap. Frank Gore was the leading receiver in terms of catches, yards, and long reception. It's a joke.

Some team is gonna get a helluva player when his rookie contract is up. He's a dope but he's got way more talent than is being shown.

I would agree with that. The statement was ambiguos. Maybe he meant to diss Smith, maybe he didn't. I will give him the benefit of the doubt this time.
To me this is not an ambiguous statement. Ambiguous would be if he would have said "Mike Johnson can't throw the ball, catch the ball or run the ball....". He said Mike Johnson can't throw the ball. There is only one guy that did that, not the whole team. Seems pretty clear what he was saying to me and I would certainly feel it was directed at me if I were Alex Smith.That is not to say Crabtree is wrong but to say he was being ambiguous seems like a stretch to me.

Well...he's right. I haven't always been in Crabtree's corner but I see no reason to knock him for this one. He could have kept his mouth shut but there's nothing wrong with calling out your qb to step up his game.

Fact of the matter is, Smith sucks.

Some team is gonna get a helluva player when his rookie contract is up. He's a dope but he's got way more talent than is being shown.
Who, Crabtree or Smith?Smith blows. Crabtree looked fantastic last year and it's only been a couple games this season. He's shown gobs of talent.

To me this is not an ambiguous statement. Ambiguous would be if he would have said "Mike Johnson can't throw the ball, catch the ball or run the ball....". He said Mike Johnson can't throw the ball. There is only one guy that did that, not the whole team. Seems pretty clear what he was saying to me and I would certainly feel it was directed at me if I were Alex Smith.That is not to say Crabtree is wrong but to say he was being ambiguous seems like a stretch to me.
Ambiguous if he was making a general statement about coaches not being able to play and in doing so he used a poor choice of words. Sometimes people don't always mean exactly what they say.

Well I won't be ambiguous......you suck Alex Smith!

You can't throw within 30 feet of your receivers on the long ball and have horrible touch on short routes like that miss you threw to Gore that turned into a INT. Get off the field!

Ambiguous if he was making a general statement about coaches not being able to play and in doing so he used a poor choice of words. Sometimes people don't always mean exactly what they say.
I completely agree with this statement which is why I said that he would have been completely ambiguous if he had said Johnson can't throw, catch, run etc...but the problem is that Crabtree specifially called out throwing the ball and there is nothing ambiguous about that at all. Is is possible he didn't mean it that way? Sure. But I am not sure how a person could take it as anything other than a shot at the guy throwing the ball. He absolutely could have meant "Johnson does not play on the field" and if he had said that no one would have batted an eye. So the fact is this, either he meant it as a shot at Smith (which I would say is justified since Smith is anything but good) or he is a very unintelligent individual who does not choose his words well at all. The latter is absolutely a possibility.

I think it's interesting that of the few people who have responded to this thread, the posters who actually follow the Niners don't seem to think this is as big of a deal as those who follow other teams.

Didn't Smith start off on fire in this game? Going like 8 for 8 and an TD early on? Anybody know what happened from there?
The playcalling is just putrid (still). Yes, he started off good, but it's always the same dink and dunk crap. Frank Gore was the leading receiver in terms of catches, yards, and long reception. It's a joke.
thats not what happened. playcalling was decent except for one or two calls. Alex Smith just cannot make the simplest throws and is just a terrible qb. locks onto a receiver, cant read defenses, always overthrows his targets...his big arm is of no use because his accuracy is terrible.there are QBs who can dink and dunk well and theres no shame in that if it helps move the chains (ie, the essential thing in the game of football). Alex Smith is just a failure.

Well I won't be ambiguous......you suck Alex Smith!

You can't throw within 30 feet of your receivers on the long ball and have horrible touch on short routes like that miss you threw to Gore that turned into a INT two weeks in a row. Get off the field!
Completed the sentence for ya.

What a freaken diva. If you are a great WR you get it done regardless of your QB. Calvin Johnson has delivered every year. Crabtree needs a big awakening and it won't be this year. It's all about him and it's everybody else's problem. :blackdot: :rolleyes:

thats not what happened. playcalling was decent except for one or two calls. Alex Smith just cannot make the simplest throws and is just a terrible qb. locks onto a receiver, cant read defenses, always overthrows his targets...his big arm is of no use because his accuracy is terrible.there are QBs who can dink and dunk well and theres no shame in that if it helps move the chains (ie, the essential thing in the game of football). Alex Smith is just a failure.
I was using the bad playcalling as the reason for why he started off 8/8- it was more because most of the throws were short, not because Smith was awesome or anything. It's not that hard to go 8/8 when every pass is a dump off or 5 yards down field.I stand by the playcalling being bad- if they don't think their QB can make the throws, then go get one that can because it's pretty obvious they aren't going to win much doing what they're doing. They aren't good enough on either side of the ball right now to dink and dunk all the time.

I think it's interesting that of the few people who have responded to this thread, the posters who actually follow the Niners don't seem to think this is as big of a deal as those who follow other teams.
49er fans are talking about it, just not here. Smith blows. Once he gets sacked or hit, his confidence goes out the window. He has 3 TDs (one garbage TD to boot) to 7 INTs so far this season. Singletary can't bench him because the 49ers did nothing to improve the position this offseason. Singletary is slowly losing the locker room. If Smith continues to suck (which he will, and part of ATLs game plan on defense was expecting Smith to make mistakes like he always does) and the 49ers continue to lose, Singletary will be in big trouble. He still will have a job, because Jed York is a wuss, they have spent a lot of $$ on Billboards, and Sing will going into his 3rd year of his contract.

49er fans are talking about it, just not here. Smith blows. Once he gets sacked or hit, his confidence goes out the window. He has 3 TDs (one garbage TD to boot) to 7 INTs so far this season. Singletary can't bench him because the 49ers did nothing to improve the position this offseason.

Singletary is slowly losing the locker room. If Smith continues to suck (which he will, and part of ATLs game plan on defense was expecting Smith to make mistakes like he always does) and the 49ers continue to lose, Singletary will be in big trouble. He still will have a job, because Jed York is a wuss, they have spent a lot of $$ on Billboards, and Sing will going into his 3rd year of his contract.
I just posted this link in the 49ers thread, but it seems topical to this discussion. I think Sing's attitude as expressed below re: the QB competition has to affect the locker room when every other player is competing for their jobs.http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010...ear-is-himself/

-Q: You’ve made it very clear that David Carr was not brought here to compete for the starting job. And you’ve said that there’s no question Alex remains the starter now. Could you have done a better job in the offseason bringing someone in here to compete for the job?

-SINGLETARY: I guess… looking back on it, I would say this: I knew what I was doing when … the thought-process was. I wanted to bring someone in that in the event something happened to Alex, could come in and play.

But the thing that I wanted to accomplish this year, and it’s still a work in progress. I wanted Alex Smith to focus on executing the offense. For the first time you had a coordinator, you had a system that was in place.

You’ve had five or six coordinators. He’s played a little less than three years, with those changes, there’s no consistency anywhere. So the thing I wanted to do is make sure that he had some consistency without trying to compete with somebody else.

Let’s give him the opportunity to get out there and play football, work through some of the stuff that he’s had to work through, whether it’s this coordinator says you have to read this, this coordinator says you have to read that, this coordinator says you have to throw this way, this coordinator says you have to look there first.

So getting all that crap out and just having a system that he can run.

I think the only person that Alex Smith needed to really compete with this year is himself and get rid of some of the ghosts that he already has. That’s the competition I felt was the most important thing for him to get rid of.

And I think he’s working through that. I think he’s doing a good job of working through that.

-Q: How is he doing at competing with himself?

-SINGLETARY: I think he’s doing a decent job.

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/12190/...tree-just-said/

“Mike Johnson did his thing. He did what he was supposed to do. He got everybody the ball. Only thing is, Mike Johnson can’t throw the ball. He can just call plays.”

Love it :lmao:
If Clements falls down with the ball it's an issue but it doesn't get blown into a controversy...The 'jump pass' that was intercepted was strangely similar to the INT thrown by Florida's QB against 'Bama. The sad part is that you'd expect it from an underclassman - not an NFL veteran...

49er fans are talking about it, just not here. Smith blows. Once he gets sacked or hit, his confidence goes out the window. He has 3 TDs (one garbage TD to boot) to 7 INTs so far this season. Singletary can't bench him because the 49ers did nothing to improve the position this offseason. Singletary is slowly losing the locker room. If Smith continues to suck (which he will, and part of ATLs game plan on defense was expecting Smith to make mistakes like he always does) and the 49ers continue to lose, Singletary will be in big trouble. He still will have a job, because Jed York is a wuss, they have spent a lot of $$ on Billboards, and Sing will going into his 3rd year of his contract.
I meant Niner fans don't seem to have much of a problem with Crabtree seemingly calling out his qb. Because we all know Smith blows massive chunks of ubersuck. It seems people who don't follow this franchise keep saying how Smith looks decent. But he doesn't. He looks awful. Really, really, awful.

I was using the bad playcalling as the reason for why he started off 8/8- it was more because most of the throws were short, not because Smith was awesome or anything. It's not that hard to go 8/8 when every pass is a dump off or 5 yards down field.I stand by the playcalling being bad- if they don't think their QB can make the throws, then go get one that can because it's pretty obvious they aren't going to win much doing what they're doing. They aren't good enough on either side of the ball right now to dink and dunk all the time.
I dont know if you are a Niners fan at all, but I watch their every single snap for the last god knows how many years.This was perhaps the best game in terms of playcalling all year long (well the Saints game playcalling wasnt bad, especially on the last drive).I mean, let me put it this way. A vast majority of those short dumpoffs and passes happened because Alex was checking down- either his wideouts were covered or he couldnt see them.And with Alex, nothing is granted. He routinely overthrows 3 and 5 yards screens and dumpoffs.And again, dink and a dunk is almost a derogatory term here. The Niners are not a west coast offense currently (sadly enough). But there is nothing wrong by throwing to the RB every time if it gets the chains to move. The myth of big plays and big throws being the end of everything in football is quite disturbing to me.

Always a brilliant career move to call out your QB. Well done, son. :eek:
He's still an amateur. When he starts saying Smith is throwing all the bad passes to him and all the good passes to Davis and Morgan then he can join Roy Williams at the big boy's table.
That's the problem, Crabtree is not saying that he is throwing all the good passes to Morgan/Davis and all the bad passes to himself, he is saying that Alex smith is not throwing him ANY PASSES! And i'm not sure how "good" the passes to Morgan/Davis are taking into consideration Alex Smith's horrible numbers and the 49's disgusting record.The truth is the truth. Alex Smith needs to utilize his weapons. Crabtree is his most lethal, and yet in the first 4 games Crabtree has barely gotten any targets at all. The first few games he was getting 3 targets or so per game. When one takes into consideration how little Smith was/is throwing him the ball, Crabtree's performance is not bad at all.Talent wise Crabtree is the best receiver that the 49's have and it is not even close. In fact, talent wise i would say Crabtree ranks in the top echelon of the entire league. How you give such a threat 3 targets in a game is beyond me. It is a sign that Alex Smith is NOT your franchise QB. Now that they have lost their first 4 games, they really need to sit Alex and bring on someone else. Smith will never lead that team anywhere and it is pure as daylight.It is unfortunate that Crabtree picked such a bad time to let his feelings be known, but quite frankly there never is a good time. The Cardinals are making the same mistake. You have Beenie run pretty good last week and you give him 5 runs this week? No wonder these teams are in trouble. This game is very easy for some teams because they don't overthink everything. I wonder if Peyton Manning would continuously avoid Reggie Wayne, or Shaub would decide to avoid Andre Johnson for the first 4 weeks of the season?

Users who are viewing this thread