What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Critique this draft (1 Viewer)

dickey moe

Fingerpicker
This is meant to be a case study for those who are interested in the implications of a "wait on WR" strategy this year. If the mods want to move it then that's cool...

I'm an owner/commish in a 7th year Keep 2 league, 12 teams, PPR, 20 rounds, WCOFF rules/scoring. I'd characterize the league as 6 really savvy owners, 4 average owners, and a couple of semi-guppies (but not idiots). RBs usually go heavy pretty early in this league, WRs are picked up in average fashion, TEs tend to go late, and QBs are all over the map.

I had the 1.03 pick this season (didn't make the playoffs last year). My keepers were Ray Rice and Rob Gronkowski. Here is how my draft transpired:

1.03 Ray Rice RB

2.10 Rob Gronkowski TE

I was hoping for an Andre Johnson/Julio Jones/AJ Green type at 3.03, and lo and behold, the following fell to me...

3.03 Jimmy Graham TE

I had to take him here, right? I can't believe he fell this far, but it wasn't impossible knowing the guys in this league. I knew this pick was going to result in me missing out on a lot of good WRs in the next two rounds (Jones, Green, Roddy White and Marshall were still available), but I just couldn't pass up the value presented here (I can start both Graham and Gronk at flex and Graham may be a good keeper candidate next season), and decided to take my chances on WR in later rounds.

So I wait patiently as the rest of the 3rd and 4th rounds see runs on 2nd tier RBs and WR 1/2. Then at 4.10...

4.10 Reggie Bush RB

He was the last of the remaining "really good" RB2s remaining (amidst the likes of Gore, Turner, Donald Brown, etc.). There were still a lot of good WRs remaining. So I snatch him up and wait for the turn to proceed to pick my first WR, when...

5.03 Matt Stafford QB

I fretted during this pick the longest of any of my picks of the draft. I knew if I picked Stafford here I would REALLY be at a disadvantage at WR compared to all the other teams in the draft. But I just couldn't pass him up here. With Stafford, I'd lock up projected top 5 players at the QB, RB, and TE position.

Then the long slog through the remainder of the 5th and 6th Rounds as my "value WR picks" got picked apart, one by one...

Bryant, DThomas, Antonio Brown, Colston, Austin...

I was praying Brandon Lloyd would fall to me, but he was snatched up at 6.07. Best WR remaining when it came around to me:

6.10 Jeremy Maclin WR

So there you go -- waiting on WR yielded me Maclin as my WR1. I'd love Maclin as a WR2 -- but a WR1? Not too much.

My next few rounds I decided to load up on WR as much as possible:

7.03 Eric Decker WR

8.10 CJ Spiller RB

9.03 Darius Heyward-Bey

10.10 Austin Collie

Rounds 10 through 20 I mostly took best value at RB and WR.

So post-draft, looks like my starting lineup will be:

QB Matt Stafford

RB Ray Rice

RB Reggie Bush

WR Jeremy Maclin

WR Eric Decker

WR Darius Heyward-Bey

TE Jimmy Graham

Off Flex Rob Gronkowski

PK Randy Bullock

Def/ST Detroit

Was the waiting on WR strategy worth it, or were the picks at Round 4 and Round 5 mistakes? I'm not thrilled about my WRs. I'm thinking about putting up Gronk/Graham and my RBs (besides Rice) as trade bait to other owners who are deep at WR but light at RB/TE to see what offers may be out there.

Holy crap! I cant believe graham fell to 3.03 and Staff to 5.03.

I like Decker @ 7.03.

You had to take Graham and Staff where you did. I like it. Your TE's make up for weakness at WR.

I like your team. Definitely surprised to see Stafford last in the 5th round. I would not offer up Gronk/Graham. You have such an advantage at TE and both make a good flex option too. Just work the waiver wire to find a gem at WR and you'll be fine.

Edit to add: I don't know anything about WCOFF, so scratch the waiver wire idea out obviously, if that's not an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like your team. Definitely surprised to see Stafford last in the 5th round. I would not offer up Gronk/Graham. You have such an advantage at TE and both make a good flex option too. Just work the waiver wire to find a gem at WR and you'll be fine.Edit to add: I don't know anything about WCOFF, so scratch the waiver wire idea out obviously, if that's not an option.
The WW is an option, and thankfully this league is shallow enough where a few WR gems inevitably seem to materialize each season.

The only one I don't like is reggie in round 4. I think that's where I would have gone WR and picked up my RB2 in a later round. Bush's 2011 screams career year.

You can do worst than Reggie Bush in a PPR league. I'd have to see the list of WR's available to decide which direction I would've gone.

You can do worst than Reggie Bush in a PPR league. I'd have to see the list of WR's available to decide which direction I would've gone.
Britt, Bryant, DThomas, Antonio Brown, Colston, Austin, and Lloyd were the best WRs that went in the 5th and 6th between where I drafted Bush and Maclin.

This reads more like a thinly veiled brag thread. "I can't believe I suffered through getting each of Jimmy Graham, Matt Stafford, Jeremy Maclin, and Eric Decker 1-2 rounds later than their ADP! How could my team ever survive!" What more could you want?

The only one I don't like is reggie in round 4. I think that's where I would have gone WR and picked up my RB2 in a later round. Bush's 2011 screams career year.
That's my take as well. I'd have hit WR at that point. It isn't as hard to scratch out a RB2 later in the draft. Scratching out aWR1 is tougher IMHO. Injuries alone can produce a startable RB2.

Britt, Bryant, DThomas, Antonio Brown, Colston, Austin, and Lloyd were the best WRs that went in the 5th and 6th between where I drafted Bush and Maclin.
I would've gone with Bryant or Brown first, but that's just a matter of preference. Bush is so much more valuable in a PPR league.

Hate these threads and the people that put them here.

We have ADP's to look at. We can evaluate those. We don't care about your league.

Reported as wrong forum. Worse because it's obviously intentional. Meant to be a case study? Give me a break, this is nothing but rate my team.

And Matthew Stafford 5.03? :rolleyes:

I think you did work.

Im just curious what your depth looks like, I would have no problem rostering Gronk and Graham if I was able to draft everyone I think is a sleeper this year...

I'd much rather have a RB2BC than bank on Bush making it through another season. With a 20 round draft you should be able to snag at least one or two guys that comes on strong.

I would never look at this draft as anything more than incredible luck. You say you have some savvy owners, but they drafted different than the vast majority of dual flex leagues. Graham would be long gone by the end of the first. Decker would have been gone at the 4th/5th turn. I guess because it's a keeper league some interesting thing happened making it a very unique draft and this thread as nothing more than a glorified rate my team post.

Reported as wrong forum. Worse because it's obviously intentional. Meant to be a case study? Give me a break, this is nothing but rate my team.And Matthew Stafford 5.03? :rolleyes:
You take your fantasy football seriously, don't you?

I simply don't believe in the OP's "to each according to his need" worldview.

He's been around. He knows the SP isn't for this BS. But he needs validation, so here it is anyway. It's supposed to be a community, and the community is supposed to operate according to well-known standards. Those standards aren't supposed to change just because some people believe in the concept of the Dickey Moe-centric universe. :thumbdown:

:shrug: The mods can move it. I wanted examination of the wait on WR strategy since it seems to be a big topic this year. Sorry if it offended anybody.

'dickey moe said:
:shrug: The mods can move it. I wanted examination of the wait on WR strategy since it seems to be a big topic this year. Sorry if it offended anybody.
Don't let the bastards get you down Dickey. Interesting account

You have to trade one of those tight ends! Playing a tight end in the flex is a recipe for losing.
I disagree, he has the TE market corned since he owns both. That will be a huge point advantage each week.
He is getting killed in another spot though! You can trade one of those guys for a top WR and something else. you can find a flex player who will put up points that are close and then improve other positions. Taking two tight ends in the first 3 rounds of a draft is unheard of and a surefire way to lose. The team that will win got his overachieving tight end in round 12 and crushes him with his 2nd and 3rd round picks.

I don't understand why Stafford was there in the 5th. I took him with my FIRST (11th Overall) pick in my Dynasty Startup about a month ago. 41 Touchdowns at age 24 and he throws to the most talented wideout in the NFL who is 26.

-

Besides that, your team is severely crippled:

WR Jeremy Maclin

WR Eric Decker

WR Darius Heyward-Bey

You are starting those three players. Maclin should be your WR2 / WR3 at best. In my Dynasty, my starting three are:

WR Roddy White

WR Dez Bryant

WR Demaryius Thomas

(Denarius Moore, Reggie Wayne on the bench.)

This is a copycat league. Do you think that Graham and Gronkowski are once in a generation athletes that just so happened to break out in the same year? Any saavy coach in the league (and there are more than a few of them) will be able to draft players and utilize them the same way Graham and Gronkowski are.

You would have been much better off getting your Wide Receiver value and drafting a medley of:

Rob Housler

Tony Moeaki

Jared Cook

Kyle Rudolph

These guys are the Jimmy Graham's of last year and instead of being on your team, there is probably a shark in your league that owns them AND a nice set of stud receivers. Combine them with a crafty veteran or two:

Tony Gonzalez

Antonio Gates

Jason Witten

Boom! Insurance and upside, instead you just have monster holes at the WR position. I'm not one to rag on another person's team but I think you made a mistake here.

This is a copycat league. Do you think that Graham and Gronkowski are once in a generation athletes that just so happened to break out in the same year? Any saavy coach in the league (and there are more than a few of them) will be able to draft players and utilize them the same way Graham and Gronkowski are.Rob HouslerTony MoeakiJared CookKyle Rudolph
Those guys have Brady and Brees throwing to them?

'Craig_MiamiFL said:
Hate these threads and the people that put them here.We have ADP's to look at. We can evaluate those. We don't care about your league.
At a time, this thread took up about 1/20th of you screen. You knew what was inside it when you read the title, yet still opened it up and allowed it to take up 100% of your screen?Looks like you're more worried about finding something to ##### about instead of what's really being posted.

Users who are viewing this thread