What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dadguys: Do you affix your heavy furniture to the walls? (1 Viewer)

I love how women pretend they don't know how to use a cordless drill or even know how to hang something on a wall.
They don't. They also have no sense of direction and do not understand a thermostat. (A little hint here for the Ladies - The thermostat is not an accelerator. The house does not warm up faster if you turn it to 90. All you accomplish is making the house too hot so that you open windows until it is too cold. Rinse. Repeat. A man designed a thermostat so you would not have to go through this ridiculous process. If you want it just a touch warmer set the thing to just a touch warmer and keep your hands off of it. If you must play with something come over here and get after this rascal.) ).
perfect

As a guy that has worked in a prison and had kids. Do the book shelves, and then observe. If they are attracted to other stuff that might fall over, tie those down also.
I can't figure out what working in a prison has to do with anything.
Thank you. I was scratching my head as well.

As for the topic, this is a no brainer as in you would literally have to have no brain if you thought your 30lb child would be OK if your 50lb dresser fell on them.

As a guy that has worked in a prison and had kids. Do the book shelves, and then observe. If they are attracted to other stuff that might fall over, tie those down also.
Thank you. I was scratching my head as well.As for the topic, this is a no brainer as in you would literally have to have no brain if you thought your 30lb child would be OK if your 50lb dresser fell on them.
Do you do this for everything? Just the tall stuff?

Thank you. I was scratching my head as well.As for the topic, this is a no brainer as in you would literally have to have no brain if you thought your 30lb child would be OK if your 50lb dresser fell on them.
Even the wide stuff. I have boy girl twins so they try to out do one another all the time. Wife early on made this non negotiable since she read about the horror stories. I thought it simple enough so I got it done. A couple months ago, the dresser that is 3' high by 7' long in there room nearly fell on top of them if not for it being secured to the wall. They both tried to climb it at the same time. Wife and I were just in the hallway folding clothes too.

So yea, if its in their bedroom or within reasoable access to them, better safe than sorry.

Huh. It never even occurred to my wife or me to do this. And I can't recall ever encountering a piece of anchored furniture in the homes of anybody I know, although admittedly I don't go around pulling on other people's bookshelves so maybe other people were anchoring stuff all this time and I just had not idea.

Even the wide stuff. I have boy girl twins so they try to out do one another all the time. Wife early on made this non negotiable since she read about the horror stories. I thought it simple enough so I got it done. A couple months ago, the dresser that is 3' high by 7' long in there room nearly fell on top of them if not for it being secured to the wall. They both tried to climb it at the same time. Wife and I were just in the hallway folding clothes too. So yea, if its in their bedroom or within reasoable access to them, better safe than sorry.
Yup.Even if it isn't high, if it's high relative to them it's worth anchoring. A 3' dresser is as tall to them as a 6' book shelf is to you.

Huh. It never even occurred to my wife or me to do this. And I can't recall ever encountering a piece of anchored furniture in the homes of anybody I know, although admittedly I don't go around pulling on other people's bookshelves so maybe other people were anchoring stuff all this time and I just had not idea.
Same here. Our kids weren't climbers when they were little ... guess we were lucky.

Did this with one set of bookshelves in our basement. They've never touched the bookshelf at all and not cause it's affixed. Like other things with parenting, you know your kids better than anyone else. I don't have any worries of my kids climbing a bookshelf, but many times they do somersaults and flips with little regard for tables and furniture. idiots.

By the way, I never thought of Peter Brady Hero as a horror story, but now that you mention that, I guess I could see that. His head did swell a lot.

Did this with a bookshelf and entertainment center when my son was little. If you do a little thinking first, it takes about 5 minutes to do each piece.

Also had to remove the coffee table. Not because of tipping over, just because we got tired of our son banging his head/face on it when he was learning to walk. :shrug:

Did this with a bookshelf and entertainment center when my son was little. If you do a little thinking first, it takes about 5 minutes to do each piece.

Also had to remove the coffee table. Not because of tipping over, just because we got tired of our son banging his head/face on it when he was learning to walk. :shrug:
Same. Coffee tables are not a toddlers best friend.

Yep -- we gave away both a glass-top coffee table and glass-top dining room table for this reason.

We got earthquakes.

Whenever my kids go over to someone else's house I pull as hard as I can on all of their cabinets and bookcases to make sure they're tethered properly.

I would just make sure my kid is smart enough not too pull a heavy piece of furniture on top of himself. Or at least athletic enough to get out of the way. Just sayin.

Is your kid dumb or not athletic?

I just anchored two 36"h x 30"w Ikea dressers to the wall. In my 15 year old sons room.

Think leverage. Knock down (or up?) furniture doesn't have any of the inherent weight to counterbalance the weight of open drawers. When one draw is opened empty? No problem. Top drawer full? Close. Second drawer open as well?? Houston,...

Thanks to baseboard heat, I had to incorporate screw eye hooks to span the distance from furniture to wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just make sure my kid is smart enough not too pull a heavy piece of furniture on top of himself. Or at least athletic enough to get out of the way. Just sayin.

Is your kid dumb or not athletic?
You can just see the troll face on that pit bull.

PLEASE do this.

My Brother lost their two-year old son from a dresser falling on him while they thought he was napping. Absolutely horrific.

They started Shane's Foundation, which focuses on preventing furniture tip over accidents.

K

Each year, on average,
more than 22,000 children
8 years old and younger are treated for injuries related to instability or tip overs.

Statistic based on recent
Consumer Product Safety Commission report 2011.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread