What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Danario Alexander - Lottery ticket? (1 Viewer)

Like the guy's talent, but he's bound to break fantasy hearts yet again if you get your hopes up.

Like the guy's talent, but he's bound to break fantasy hearts yet again if you get your hopes up.
My hopes are not up. I'm being realistic. Immensely talented high upside wr who will likely at some point hurt his knee and be done for the year or career and who might even disappear in that offense even if healthy. But if he is utilized and produces...ride that pony until the wheels fall off. As my wr6 it's impossible to disappoint

What's up with Vincent Brown? He should be back soon and was probably going to be the WR1 for this team before he broke his ankle. Wonder how long it will take him to get going?
Reports came out he is nowhere close to being back. San Diego is keeping him on IR for now.

Don't forget, if you're banking on Alexander, you're also banking on Rivers turning it around for the second half. No receiving option has been relevant and it's not for a lack of talent. On a PPG basis, Floyd is now a high-end WR4 (42nd) after Thursday nights game, and Gates just barely snuck into low-end TE1 territory (11th), which is more so a testament how hard it's been to find production at the position.

Anyway, it's possible. SD is a 2nd half team after all. I think he'll be worth a stash and I'm sure his owners will be keeping expectations in check.

Just watching a few games, this team is check-down heavy, and I think they were last year, too. But hey, if you're desperate.

He's got another great matchup this week vs Tb. Meacham might play. It will be interesting to see his usage.

I am starting him out of desperation with harvin banged up. Gd help me!

Grabbed him in two leagues when Harvin went down. Hoping he takes off. I'd much rather take a shot with Lottery Ticket guys than another guy that will get you 42 yds with a TD every 4 games. I want the HR call that nobody else in my league saw.

Sigh, started him over Laurent Robinson... we will see how this plays out.

Rivers used to be one of the best deep ball passers in the league... lets hope he fires one Denario's way this sunday

Tricky thing here is that KC's offense basically handed the game to the Chargers, so SD did not have to pass much or go for it downfield.

Meachem and Royal are both practicing fully today per RW so I guess this lottery ticket stays in the glove compartment for a while.

Still TB has the 3rd most FFPA to WRs so I wonder in a week of bad matchups if anyone is taking a chanc on any of these guys.

Funny thing is, with Vince Jackson, in a game like this Floyd might have looked like a nice one week start, but not with this crew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danario Alexander: Danario Alexander starting ahead of Meachem

Danario Alexander - WR - SD - Nov. 11 - 12:27 pm et

Danario Alexander is expected to start ahead of Robert Meachem in Sunday's game against the Bucs.

Meachem's hamstring is fine, but the Chargers are wise to reduce his role. In seven starts earlier this year, the ex-Saint never got on the same page as Philip Rivers while compiling a brutal 12/189/2 line. Alexander and Meachem will rotate Sunday, leaving them both off the fantasy radar despite a matchup with the league's worst pass defense. Nov. 11 - 12:27 pm et

How'd my new guy look on that 80 yard TD? There is no reason for the suckage of Robert Meachem to ever step on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tuned in just in time to catch that. Quite a play to keep his balance like that.

This guy has talent. Shame he can never stay healthy.

How'd my new guy look on that 80 yard TD?
AWESOME. He spun out of two tackles and kept his balance and his knee off the ground and ran it the rest of the way. I picked him up in one league, and didn't bid high enough in another, but got Laurent Robinson in that league. :clap:

have him locked and loaded in my flex in 2 leagues i own him after i read that news about him starting over meacham. Dude has serious talent. As long as they ride him until the wheels fall off in real life he should be in our lineups too from here on in.

So sell high after this week or is he worth a hold?
Who would buy him? YOu wont get much...he has too much of an injury history and people won't buy into him continuing to stay healthy enough to give you anything close to what his actual worth is. I say hold and enjoy in your flex until he gets injured again.

Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.

This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.
In 2009 his Senior season he racked up 113/1781/14TDs in what was then the Big 12.

He damaged his knee/knees pretty bad but because St Louis was so short on WRs and talent he kept pushing himself to get on the field, most of the coaches could see his talent but wished he would heal. He also had a HC who was on the hot seat and eventually fired, there was a lot of pressure to get things turned around.

Here are some of the highlights when he was on the field...4/72/TD in his 1st NFL game, 4/95, 6/99, 3/122/TD, 6/91, 3/52/TD...he only played a handful of games due to injury in 2010 and 2011.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him. He is a long ball type, had 3/60 last night after walking the streets for a while, he typically avg 15-17ypc so it looks like he is picking up where he left off. I definitely would not say there is nothing to see here. On most of the weeks that I highlighted he had to be in the top 25-30 so he can easily be a WR3 however it remains to be seen if he can play without injury, that's the real question.
Want to defend it again now?

The underlying issues aren't being addressed here. While Rivers certainly lacks playmakers at the WR position, the O-Line is BY FAR the biggest issue facing the Chargers. Many of the interception highlights I've seen from Rivers (and I admittedly have not seen all of them) show a guy that can't step into his throws. The pocket is almost always collapsing, and Rivers is forced to short-arm the pass, or throw entirely with his arm. As anyone who has ever thrown a football knows, you lose a lot of velocity, accuracy, and touch simply throwing a ball flat-footed without stepping into the throw.Equally problematic is the Coryell offense run by San Diego, focusing on down-field strikes. When the O-line can't give the QB 3 seconds to release the ball, that kind of vertical offense doesn't work. Down-field routes take time to develop (obviously), but Rivers is either forced to anticipate the throw far too early, or attempt to throw at the correct time with poor footwork. Both are obviously not resulting in optimal results.I don't see Alexander or Seyi fixing those problems. They need o-line help desperately.
:goodposting:

Meacham wasn't drafted to do what he did in NO. He wa drafted to replace vjax, a guy who regularly had 10 plus targets per game
Jackson never averaged more than 7.1 targets per game in San Diego. He had 10+ targets a total of 7 times in 7 seasons with San Diego, and never more than 2 times in a single season.

41 yards in the 1st quarter ... if he can get through this game healthy and if the Chiefs stay competitive enough to let the Chargers throw in the 2nd half he'll have a breakout game.
The 41 yards should be enough to park Meachem's ### on the bench for the rest of the season (where it belongs).
If DA stays healthy, he's a viable WR3 from here on out.
Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.
This is one incredibly bad post. You would be the guy that has Kenny Watson on his team when Arian Foster was just showing what he could do. While others scoop him up, you are the guy saying 'he's no Kenny Watson'. 'He's a free agent'. 'He wasn't even good enough to get drafted'. Then you proceed to get pummeled by him year after year.This is the type of guy you add to your team and see what happens.

Oh, and meachem? He flat out sucks balls. Always has always will. He's a poor man's Jerry Porter.
Did you really just compare Arian Foster to Danario Alexander? o.0Foster fielded offers from half a dozen teams when he went undrafted and was signed immediately after the draft. Danario has been a FA all year when there are 180 signed WRs in the NFL.

Is Danario worth stashing in super deep leagues to see what happens? Sure, why not? I own him in a dynasty league where I took him at the beginning of the year, and I've sat on him (28-man rosters). But these WR2/3 projections after a 3/60 game are beyond ridiculous.

See my above post about Meachem. People had too high of expectations for what to expect, then call him a bust after he doesn't hit them. Not fair at all. His role/targets have been unchanged since moving from the Saints. He's just had a few costly drops, but his drop rate is substantially lower than 30 other marquee skill position players. Many of the balls thrown to him so far this season weren't catchable and that's not his fault.
:lmao: I compared situations. There is a huge difference but seeing how you called this guy garbage, I can understand that you would not know the difference. Are you even still around or did you delete you accoount and create a new one. Lord knows you should.

Meacham wasn't drafted to do what he did in NO. He wa drafted to replace vjax, a guy who regularly had 10 plus targets per game
Jackson never averaged more than 7.1 targets per game in San Diego. He had 10+ targets a total of 7 times in 7 seasons with San Diego, and never more than 2 times in a single season.
Ok. Fair point I never checked my facts. I made that statement based on vjax's fairly consistent production as a legit #1 wr during his time at sd. He was an amazing deep threat but that was not his only aspect to his game. Vjax is a way more complete wr than Meacham can ever dream to be. They drafted Meacham to be his replacement not just a one trick pony that runs deep routes. I remember turner talking about Meacham in preseason. Gushing about him. "He is a complete wr. A #1 caliber nfl wr". Blah blah blah. They whiffed on Meacham. He is who we thought he was. And now sd sees it too. And they had the balls to bench his ### and it paid off. Alexander has done in a few weeks with the team what Meacham can only dream of.

Maybe he'll become the next Victor Cruz if he can retain reasonable looks. I didn't get to see the game this week but I'm pretty happy to have him and have used him in several deep dynasty leagues and a few weekly contests.

Is he a good play against DEN next week?
Depends if he or Floyd have bailey draped in them. This was a cake matchup against one of the if not the worst secondary in the league. So we have to temper expectations. But it's not like he doesn't have the talent and size to beat bailey.

41 yards in the 1st quarter ... if he can get through this game healthy and if the Chiefs stay competitive enough to let the Chargers throw in the 2nd half he'll have a breakout game.
The 41 yards should be enough to park Meachem's ### on the bench for the rest of the season (where it belongs).
If DA stays healthy, he's a viable WR3 from here on out.
Why do people post this garbage? Anytime some guy has a few catches he's labeled a "WR3" ... I swear there are 40 "WR3"'s out there. At 9 points in PPR, even if he maintains that, it's around 61st on a per game basis, which would be a WR6.This guy was a free agent two weeks ago. Each team has around 5-6 WRs, right? That's around 180 WRs currently on NFL teams. After 3 catches when he was facing the 5th CB on every play you're insinuating he's suddenly in the top 30 WR group. Get a grip. There's nothing to see here.
My bad dog. Nothing to see. Moving along.

Picked him up and started him while Fitz, Nelson and Cobb were on bye. Needed a good week too since I'm in a tight playoff race.

Did everyone forget about Vincent Brown? What's gonna happen when he returns? Before his injury he looked like a wr2 easy.

Did everyone forget about Vincent Brown? What's gonna happen when he returns? Before his injury he looked like a wr2 easy.
I expect Brown to play the slot and then take over Danario's spot when he eventually gets injured.

Anyone sticking with Alexander this week vs Denver?

Yes, different matchup, but he played 59 of 66 snaps, even with Meachem and Royal - the opportunity's there.

Anyone sticking with Alexander this week vs Denver?Yes, different matchup, but he played 59 of 66 snaps, even with Meachem and Royal - the opportunity's there.
I am, but my other options aren't anything great: Laurent Robinson vs. HOU, Emmanuel Sanders vs. BAL and Josh Gordon vs. DAL. :rolleyes:

Yeah I've got him in right now over Josh Gordon vs Dallas. Figure i'll ride the hot hand. Not super confident about it though especially if he has champ bailey draped on him all day. Hope bailey covers Floyd.

I think that danario had the size and ability to beat almost any corner in the nfl though. I think my biggest worry is his usage. It will take a few more games of seeing hi very involved in the offense for me to just plug and play him without worrying.

Right now this feels almost too good to be true...to be able to pick up a demaryius thomas type talent off waivers and it actually starts working. So ill have to see how it ones this weekend in a tough matchup and if he is still very invoked I don't think I will take him out of my lineup rest of the way.

Lets not forget chargers right now are fighting for their playoff lives and their jobs. They are gonna come out slinging it every week (for better or for worse) and they are a second half team, always seemingly better in the latter part of the regular season each year.

Just got him off waivers and plan to throw him into the fire with Cruz and Britt both on byes... gotta have him for the flex spot.

Either him or Dwyer with trebuchet-armed Leftwich and a Ravens D keyed up to stop the run... Think I'll gamble on DA.

Danario Alexander says his left knee now feels "just like" his right knee.

Alexander's talent has never been a question, but his left knee has. He's undergone five separate surgeries on the joint since his sophomore year of college. Now that he's finally healthy, he's showing his difference-making skills and has earned an every-down role opposite Malcom Floyd. The 6'5/217 Alexander was Chris Wesseling's No. 1 fantasy add at the wideout position this week. He's a WR3/4 with upside, even against Champ Bailey and the Broncos.
Here's to hoping his right knee is 100%.

Ok. Fair point I never checked my facts. I made that statement based on vjax's fairly consistent production as a legit #1 wr during his time at sd. He was an amazing deep threat but that was not his only aspect to his game. Vjax is a way more complete wr than Meacham can ever dream to be. They drafted Meacham to be his replacement not just a one trick pony that runs deep routes. I remember turner talking about Meacham in preseason. Gushing about him. "He is a complete wr. A #1 caliber nfl wr". Blah blah blah. They whiffed on Meacham. He is who we thought he was. And now sd sees it too. And they had the balls to bench his ### and it paid off. Alexander has done in a few weeks with the team what Meacham can only dream of.
Yes. I think this is the end of the road for Meachem. Alexander? Can he stay healthy? That's the question. I think Alexander is good for the short term but doubt he will be the long term answer either.

Danario Alexander says his left knee now feels "just like" his right knee.

Alexander's talent has never been a question, but his left knee has. He's undergone five separate surgeries on the joint since his sophomore year of college. Now that he's finally healthy, he's showing his difference-making skills and has earned an every-down role opposite Malcom Floyd. The 6'5/217 Alexander was Chris Wesseling's No. 1 fantasy add at the wideout position this week. He's a WR3/4 with upside, even against Champ Bailey and the Broncos.
Here's to hoping his right knee is 100%.
:lol:

According to Matthew Berry on twitter, DA actually had 8 more snaps and routes than Malcolm Floyd, most on the Chargers.

DA = VJ?

Here's his long TD vs the Bucs, not exactly what I think of in terms of VJax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-pv3SsYFM

But then I'm conscious of passing on players because of supposed fluke plays. Sometimes they only seem like fluke plays because normal athletes could never do them.

Just picked him up in my second league. Starting him in both leagues this week.

Wondering how his knee will feel after a game on turf?

I actually like Vincent Brown quite a bit, but I don't think he'll be any threat to Danario's playing time. Danario is uberly talented, when healthy he's a legitimate WR1 both in real life and in fantasy imo; and I think it's pretty clear the Chargers see him the same way since he's already playing the most snaps on the team of any WR despite being on the team for less than a month.

I think anyone who's been able to pick up Danario so far just got a winning lottery ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread