What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Daniel Day-Lewis to Play Abe Lincoln in Spielberg Film (1 Viewer)

This flick was awesome...it and Argo are the two best films I've seen this year.

Up until I saw Argo a few weeks ago it was shaping up to be a terrible year in popular film.

Kind of annoying that all of the good movies now come out in November/December at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This movie had everything.

My only criticism is that the dialogue was a bit fast in parts so it was difficult to follow when combined with 19th century accent/dialect.

I expect to pick up a bit more when I watch it again.

Best movie I've seen in years.

If it doesn't get best actor/director it's a crime.

I saw Argo also, really liked it. It was probably my favorite movie of the year until I saw Lincoln, which I think I'm going to see again.

Haven't seen Life of Pi yet.

Awesome movie if you're a history person.
I really enjoyed it. I was wondering afterward how much was literary license and how much was from actual quotes and other historical materials they have left from that time period. Basically, was it really history, or is it just a good movie that was based on characters that historical time period.
My thought is that other than the gettysburg address at the opening, his second inaugural speech at the end and the wording of the 13th amendment, most of it is an amalgamation of the opinions and arguments on slavery. His first monologue(i believe when discussing the siege of wilmington) was great.
Many of his speeches and letters were well documented. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm optimistic they followed those.

Best movie I have seen this year. I was a little worried when I saw it was over 2 hrs as I dont like to sit in a theater that long but the time flew. hell it could have gone another hour for me. DDL and Sally Fields deserve Oscar's. The one thing that took me out of it was at the end when he does his final speech. Was that Tom green to his right/our left standing behind him? If it wasn't Tom green it looked enough like him that it was strange. I kept waiting for him to do something stupid.

Does anyone know if the stuff about his son was accurate? The one who wanted to join the fight.

This flick was awesome...it and Argo are the two best films I've seen this year.Up until I saw Argo a few weeks ago it was shaping up to be a terrible year in popular film. Kind of annoying that all of the good movies now come out in November/December at the same time.
Totally agree. Argo and Lincoln are the two best movies I've seen in the past couple years. Both are fantastic.

Best movie I have seen this year. I was a little worried when I saw it was over 2 hrs as I dont like to sit in a theater that long but the time flew. hell it could have gone another hour for me. DDL and Sally Fields deserve Oscar's. The one thing that took me out of it was at the end when he does his final speech. Was that Tom green to his right/our left standing behind him? If it wasn't Tom green it looked enough like him that it was strange. I kept waiting for him to do something stupid.Does anyone know if the stuff about his son was accurate? The one who wanted to join the fight.
I saw it with my GB who is a Civil War buff and he said that was totally true. He also said it was true that Lincoln's son was with Grant at Appomattox.

Saw it last night and was in awe of DDL's uncanny resemblance to Abe. I agree that Sally Field and DDL deserve Oscara. I could also see Tommy Lee Jones in consideration.

Instant classic!

'kutta said:
'prosopis said:
Best movie I have seen this year. I was a little worried when I saw it was over 2 hrs as I dont like to sit in a theater that long but the time flew. hell it could have gone another hour for me. DDL and Sally Fields deserve Oscar's. The one thing that took me out of it was at the end when he does his final speech. Was that Tom green to his right/our left standing behind him? If it wasn't Tom green it looked enough like him that it was strange. I kept waiting for him to do something stupid.Does anyone know if the stuff about his son was accurate? The one who wanted to join the fight.
I saw it with my GB who is a Civil War buff and he said that was totally true. He also said it was true that Lincoln's son was with Grant at Appomattox.
Cool, thanks for the info. I do think I now want to pick up a book about Lincoln. Another thing that I felt this movie pointed out was what a tough job being president is. I dont know if it is the times we live in or my perception of the character quality of our current politicians but no way do I feel we have had anything close to what I saw in that movie. I know it was a movie but still. I have a hard time putting my feelings about this into words. best I can say is what we have seen in recent years does not seem "presidential" to me. It is almost embarrassing.

'kutta said:
'prosopis said:
Cool, thanks for the info. I do think I now want to pick up a book about Lincoln. Another thing that I felt this movie pointed out was what a tough job being president is. I dont know if it is the times we live in or my perception of the character quality of our current politicians but no way do I feel we have had anything close to what I saw in that movie. I know it was a movie but still. I have a hard time putting my feelings about this into words. best I can say is what we have seen in recent years does not seem "presidential" to me. It is almost embarrassing.
Office of the President today bares little in common with a President of the mid-1800's. Back then they actually met with citizens to hear concerns.

DDL was amazing. Did anyone else feel like we were actually watching Abraham Lincoln and not an actor? Obviously we don't have videotape of him...but it was just an amazing performance by perhaps the best actor in our time.

I think it was a bit heavy-handed on the politics for some, which combined with the long run-time might cause some to think of it as boring.

But for me the amazing glimpse into congress and the White House in the 1860's was incredible. I wish congress was like that now. I'd watch CSpan a lot more often.

DDL was amazing. Did anyone else feel like we were actually watching Abraham Lincoln and not an actor? Obviously we don't have videotape of him...but it was just an amazing performance by perhaps the best actor in our time.I think it was a bit heavy-handed on the politics for some, which combined with the long run-time might cause some to think of it as boring.
This.It was a brilliant performance by DDL and the acting and directing were superb, as were the sets and costumes.Someone should have called in the History Channel for advice on how to tell the story though. There was no dramatic ebb and flow, and Lincoln had an inspiring and dramatic speech in almost every scene.It's not for everyone, and even though I was intrigued by the politics, that's not enough dramatic tension to carry the day for my liking.I'm sure this will be up for best picture but it would be laughable if it wins imo. It's not art, and it's not documentary. So what is it? Too long.I was also disappointed with the title and promotion since I went in looking for a biopic, not the story of how Lincoln got the 13th amendment passed.

'kutta said:
'prosopis said:
Another tidbit about the movie - I guess DDL and Spielberg both thought Lincoln's voice was going to be very important. DDL went home and tried all kinds of different voices. He finally got one that he liked, recorded himself reading some dialog from the script, and sent it to Spielberg. Spielberg loved it and told him not to change a thing. And that's the voice he used in the movie.I just thought that was interesting.

Just got out of this movie and all I can say is WOW.
That was my reaction after seeing it today - WOW. So many great scenes by DDL in particular. Loved this movie.
:goodposting: Might as well hand DDL his Oscar right now. I really had my doubts since I thought Spielberg would lay on the schmaltz but he reined it in for the most part. My other concern was Tommy Lee Jones and while I was able to forget that he was TLJ he did do a tremendous job. My biggest complaint was Joseph Gordon Levitt as Lincoln's older son. No complaint about his acting, but it was too small of a role for such a well known actor and took away from the believability of the movie. Unlike TLJ there wasn't a need for a great actor in the role. I'd have no complaints if Lincoln runs away will all the major awards.

Just got out of this movie and all I can say is WOW.
That was my reaction after seeing it today - WOW. So many great scenes by DDL in particular. Loved this movie.
:goodposting: Might as well hand DDL his Oscar right now. I really had my doubts since I thought Spielberg would lay on the schmaltz but he reined it in for the most part. My other concern was Tommy Lee Jones and while I was able to forget that he was TLJ he did do a tremendous job. My biggest complaint was Joseph Gordon Levitt as Lincoln's older son. No complaint about his acting, but it was too small of a role for such a well known actor and took away from the believability of the movie. Unlike TLJ there wasn't a need for a great actor in the role. I'd have no complaints if Lincoln runs away will all the major awards.
I don't think I've ever read such a complaint about a movie. The actor was too good/famous for his role?

DDL was amazing. Did anyone else feel like we were actually watching Abraham Lincoln and not an actor? Obviously we don't have videotape of him...but it was just an amazing performance by perhaps the best actor in our time.

I think it was a bit heavy-handed on the politics for some, which combined with the long run-time might cause some to think of it as boring.

But for me the amazing glimpse into congress and the White House in the 1860's was incredible. I wish congress was like that now. I'd watch CSpan a lot more often.
Not perhaps.

This.It was a brilliant performance by DDL and the acting and directing were superb, as were the sets and costumes.

Someone should have called in the History Channel for advice on how to tell the story though. There was no dramatic ebb and flow, and Lincoln had an inspiring and dramatic speech in almost every scene.

It's not for everyone, and even though I was intrigued by the politics, that's not enough dramatic tension to carry the day for my liking.

I'm sure this will be up for best picture but it would be laughable if it wins imo. It's not art, and it's not documentary. So what is it? Too long.

I was also disappointed with the title and promotion since I went in looking for a biopic, not the story of how Lincoln got the 13th amendment passed.
I actually preferred the focus on this one event rather that trying to cover Lincoln's entire life in a single movie. The 13th Amendment was the defining moment in Lincoln's career and I was fascinated watching the political wrangling needed to get it passed. It wasn't just a movie about Lincoln but about the state of the nation's morality at that time, which I appreciated seeing in such detail.

Meh, wait for rental. Like was stated earlier the dialect was hard to keep up with, and was hard to follow.

Lincoln frees the slaves! Woohoo

'cstu said:
'Neovivo said:
Meh, wait for rental. Like was stated earlier the dialect was hard to keep up with, and was hard to follow.

Little people throw a ring into a volcano! Woohoo.
Close enoughI didn't want to give away the spoiler.

DDL was awesome but he couldn't save the film. It was not that good
I kind of felt the same way. It wasn't as bad as Gods And Generals, it wasn't as good as Gettysburg but apart from DDL it seemed to be that level of production. I found the slapstickish scenes jarring in particular. DDL is laying down the gravitas one minute, James Spader is playing 3 stooges the next - really weird choices there by Spielberg.

DDL was awesome but he couldn't save the film. It was not that good
I kind of felt the same way. It wasn't as bad as Gods And Generals, it wasn't as good as Gettysburg but apart from DDL it seemed to be that level of production. I found the slapstickish scenes jarring in particular. DDL is laying down the gravitas one minute, James Spader is playing 3 stooges the next - really weird choices there by Spielberg.
Actually that's what I liked about it best - a more realistic Lincoln and portrayal of those times.

Fine film - restored the faith in modern capacity for period pieces that Les Mis had dashed out of me the day before. I expected to be overwhelmed by the swwwwEEp of history as seen by SSpielberg and found instead a smallish, patient film. But the revelation here is DDL - perhaps the best impersonation in cinema history.

My grandfather was very much a 19th century man. A halfbreed dirtfarmer, he yet wore a tie each day of his adult life and lived and spoke as though judged every waking moment. He loved oratory and had dozens, if not hundreds, of Edison cylinder recordings (now on display at the Newport VT Library) of Robert Ingersoll, GB Shaw, WJ Bryan and other speakers. There was no metaphor in this kind, his kind, of communication - t'was plain-speaking of the ringing variety. The structure of the argument was often the greatest part of the point itself.

A lot of this came from Honest Abe and emulation of him by Victorian & Edwardian men. Day-Lewis had to have buried himself in extant recordings of oratory and traced his way from their efforts back to the source, for even the manner by which he'd wait on speaking before doing so and his launches into "colorful" speech was the image of my granddad's way. Robert E Lee Bickford would have been thunderstruck by this performance, and i wept lightly upon that recognition. One of the best things i've seen.

Saw it this weekend and the theater was full. Great movie. I know the movie was centered around the 13th amendment but i wish they had gone into his assasination a bit more.

No reason for DDL not to win for best actor. Watched this again and I could definitely follow the movie much better than the first time. Theater was 90%+ full.

Which actor has done better this year in a lead role? It's DDL's to lose.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/daniel-day-lewis-says-hes-quitting-acting-for-good?bftw&utm_term=.ftGv573OKM#.rrnlZxXovP

Daniel Day-Lewis Says He's Quitting Acting For Good

The Oscar-winning star has one last film set for release. He says retiring from show business is a private decision.

Oscar-winning actor Daniel Day-Lewis announced on Tuesday that he is retiring from show business.

The 60-year-old said through his publicist that this was a "private decision," and declined to elaborate further.

“Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor," publicist Leslee Dart said in a statement to BuzzFeed News. "He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years. This is a private decision and neither he nor his representatives will make any further comment on this subject.”

Variety was first to report the news.

Day-Lewis's last film was 2012's Lincoln, for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor.

The British-born actor has one final film, Phantom Thread, set for release this year. The movie, based on the 1950s London fashion industry, is directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who also directed the star's Oscar-winning turn in There Will Be Blood.

Since 2002, Day-Lewis has filmed only six movies: Gangs of New York, The Ballad of Jack and Rose, There Will Be Blood, Nine, Lincoln, and Phantom Thread.

He also won an Oscar for 1989's My Left Foot, making him the only man to ever win three best actor Academy Awards.

:angry:

He was awesome in that flick where he played a guy arrested for being an IRA bomber but was innocent. One of my favorite actors. 

Users who are viewing this thread