What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Boston - 265 lbs!!! (1 Viewer)

Even if he yokes up to 310, runs a 3.9, develops a 60-inch vert, AND stays healthy for every play all year long, he's still...A) in a new system,B) in a Marty S. system along with a ballhogging LT,C) restrained by having a so-so at best Qb throwing the ball.This guy's absolute ceiling this year is likely in the neighborhood of 1100/8, and that's if everything breaks right.900/6 is a lot more likely.People talking about blowing a #2 on this clown are out of their freaking minds. If this were Don Hutson in his prime moving to his first season for this SD team, he'd be a 4th rounder. With Boston, his *ahem* "body concerns", his drug concerns, his injury concerns, AND all the good reasons you wouldn't want any receiver moving into this position, this guy's not worth a 6th.Remember the old saw: "Drafts aren't won early, but they are lost early." This is a losing proposition. This guy's as likely to push Harrison, Moss, and Owens as I am. I'd take him in the first round in my Fooball Bodybuilding draft, but for FF, there are easily 20 Wr's I'd rather have.

Last edited by a moderator:
900/6 is a lot more likely.
Pffftttt gimme a break. Last year Conway had 850 yards in 12 games. Boston has more talent in his big toe and if he stays healthy all year he will smash those numbers.
Then by all means, draft him early.More talent in his big toe? Conway has a first round pedigree, multiple career 1000-yard seasons (only held back from a lot more because of injuries), 500+ career receptions (only held back... " " ).There's no real talent disparity. What there IS, is this: Conway was in year 3 as a charger.The only significant disparities between the two are that Boston is BIG, which sets off the showroom reflex in people who don't know any better (he MUST BE good, look at 'im!), and that Conway was in a much better position to excel.Boston's chances of "smashing" those numbers are virtually zero. His chances of equalling them, on a per-game basis, IF he stays healthy and keeps his nose clean, are slim. Chances that he falls woefully short for one of the loads of very realistic reasons to doubt him? Excellent.Pffft all you want. DB won't finish the year as a top 20 Wr.

More talent in his big toe? Conway has a first round pedigree, multiple career 1000-yard seasons (only held back from a lot more because of injuries), 500+ career receptions (only held back... " " ).

There's no real talent disparity. What there IS, is this: Conway was in year 3 as a charger.
I'm with Mordred that there isn't that big of a gap in talent, but there is some, Boston IS more talented. Conway could be a tremendous WR if healthy. However, there are still a few things going in Boston's favor. He's younger. Overall he's healthier. His size IS a benefit. He has a higher vert, even though he's heavier so will be in position to get more balls.Plus, your note about the 3rd year in offense is irrelevant. Last year was Schotzy's second, and he did change the offense. So it was only Conway's 2nd year in that offense. Additionally it was Brees first year as a starter, so in essence, it was a brand new ball game for Conway.

I see no reason Boston couldn't exceed Conway's numbers.

... Just because he is fast and strong doesn't mean he will put up unbelievable numbers and the injury risk factor seems pretty high.....
Are you kidding me? There are three things a reciever needs to succeed in the NFL:1) Hands : He's proven he's got em....he was a Pro-Bowl caliber guy before all this madness....he can catch the ball and knows the game.2) Speed : 4.3/40....enough said....that's stallworth/vick fast....I don't know of a corner in the NFL that runs at that speed....3) Opportunity : LT2. A team who's made a committment to him. Brees isn't a stud but can get him the ball and has the arm to air it out to hit him on long plays where he can get separation. He's got all the opportunity in the world....the stars are aligned for this guy this season.The ONLY thing that stops boston from at least coming CLOSE to cracking the top 3 of elite receivers this year, IMHO, is injury. That is a risk you gotta look into when you take this guy.... Will his leg explode at some point this year? I'd say 35-40% chance....it's high....but if it doesn't you've got a machine on your roster :football:PROJECTIONS:HEALTHY : 1275 / 8 He will break a lot of long plays but LT2 still gets too many red-zone looks for Boston to break into the Upper crust in TDs. This COULD change due to his good vertical leap, but his true value lies in getting separation and matchups versus smaller CB's and Safeties as opposed to tight situations where he'll be closer to the larger LBs. INJURED/REALISTIC: 8 Games / 770 / 5 TDsThis is where I see him playing this season if he gets injures which I guesstimate at 35%-40% chance this year.....this is purely speculation, however, as I'm no doc :)

man.... thank the fantasy football gods that I read this... combine this with Marty ball and he frops down my list. I see a major ligament injury this year, just like the Cards said, before Halloween. What a bummer... at least he joined a cult of physical fitness that lets him play and not Hari Krishna

I read another article stating he spends like $200k annually on his bodybuilding, his goal is to be explosive, not to have endurance.
I read that article too, it was on this website. It really lays out the efforts Boston is undertaking to gain muscle mass, and maintain speed. Everyone who is thinking the guys is meathead, and just popping pills and lifting weights needs to check out the article. He has someone monitoring his blood and fluid levels around the clock...the guy is a freaking terminator. After I read that article, it moved Boston up in my charts. Why would you say he is an injury risk? He is probably much less likely to be injured given his physique and overall wellness. Bottom line is this...right now, now corner in the nfl can man up with Boston, his size is just too overwhelming. Throw in the amazing speed, and jumping ability, and you have got one outstanding wide receiver. His downfall in the fantasy world, is Drew Brees and the offensive system. If they find ways to get him the ball, Boston should be competing for a top 3 spot.

Why would you say he is an injury risk? He is probably much less likely to be injured given his physique and overall wellness.
Iso, I'm a HUGE Boston fan, but even I realize that his bone structure and ligament/tendon makeup are not meant for this type of size, he's a meso, not an ecto, he's not meant to be that big. It's likely why he has the tendenitis problem, and the patellar damage. It's not unlikely for him to get injured, not from getting hit, but simply from working out. Still I say injury is only at a 25-30% risk factor for him.

It's funny how a guy THAT big doesn't have any lats- you'd think they'd at least be useful for something, like pulling the ball down on a high throw.And as for his face- anyone who gains 40-60 lbs (or loses that much) is going to have noticeable changes in their face.

It's really funny how these incredible bulks are always on the sidelines for one thing or another and skinny little guys like Marvin Harrison seem like they never leave the field.

Plus, your note about the 3rd year in offense is irrelevant. Last year was Schotzy's second, and he did change the offense. So it was only Conway's 2nd year in that offense.
Last year was Schottenheimer's 1st year in San Diego.

I have an article some place around here that talks about the massive amounts of weight gain for the Nebraska football team from Freshman to Soph and Jr. years. I wanna say the typical lineman adds 50-75 lbs in one offseason. Sure this is different, but I don't see it as being unheard of. As far as drafting him goes, I think it depends on the makeup of your team. I feel you have to take a shot or two somewhere in the draft by taking someone with great upside. I have been taking Boston in the 40's if he's there, not any earlier. He has been going about WR 7-10 in the drafts that I have participated in. If you have steady players at RB and perhaps a solid WR that could pass as a #1, then Boston may be a great player to add. If you have Fred Taylor at RB already, then maybe Boston adds too much risk you your team.He has all the tools and he's beating up on a great corner in practice so to me the only real questions are 1) possible suspension 2) possible injury. If those scare you away, then by all means pass on him. If not, take him knowing he may be top 4 or top 40 as a high risk high reward pick. Caveat emptor.

David Boston the $200,000 man

A must read on David Boston. Unlike the ESPN story, this one really details out his program. Dude spends $200k a year on nutrition and training.

"Boston takes an average of 90 dietary supplement pills a day to ensure his body has the correct balance of vitamins, minerals and nutrients; he also has his intestines flushed through hydrocolonic therapy to help his body break down and process the supplements more efficiently." :shock:

This guy is something else.

What happens if you jam Boston at the line?

Filthy.

I sent the article to a friend of mine in my league and all he replied was, "FREAK!!"I totally agree. Alonzo Spellman anyone?This guy is going to blow a knee or ankle by mid season....

Forget the size, forget the new team, forget the new coach......did anyone watch him play last year?I watched several of his games last year and I personally came away with the opinion that he's huge, is fun to watch, but has TERRIBLE hands. I saw him drop LOTS of catchable balls. I'm not talking one or two here and there I'm talking about over several games footballs hitting him in the hands and him just not catching it. The ESPN article touches on how he dropped a lot of balls last year.I'm just not sold on the guy, 99 was basically a typical rookie year, nothing spectacular, 2000 was a good year, 2001 was a spectacular year and 2002 he didn't make it through the season. I think the 2001 season at 98/1598/8 was the fluke here and his numbers will more likely be 75/1100/6. That lines up with his 2000 season and lines up with his numbers from last year.

Why would you say he is an injury risk? He is probably much less likely to be injured given his physique and overall wellness.
Because he has had suspect injuries over the last couple of years. Just because a guy is ripped outta his mind with 5% body fat does not mean this is a good thing. I still contend that his body structure is not made to handle that load. Any Physical Therapist, Sports Healthcare expert,... will tell you the body is one kinetic chain. If anything happens at one point on that chain it will affect other parts of the chain, thus creating chronic injuries secondary to the primary causative factor. Look at his ankles!!!! I truly think something could happen to him this year. Will it? Only time will tell. But long range- I see a short and injury filled career, especially if he bulks up more.
I wanna say the typical lineman adds 50-75 lbs in one offseason. Sure this is different, but I don't see it as being unheard of.
True but the difference between slobby out of shape, potato chip eating players who hit an exercise routine with healthy eating habits and a player who is already at that level then takes it to even higher levels. Not to mention the maturing of their bodies when they are younger. Boston was already pretty much at maturation. When people workout there is documented proof that plateauing occurs. Thats the body's way of adjusting to extra wieght, different energy demands, different energy sources, metabolizism changes... To blow past these plateau's with an already matured body. Something has to give. I think Switz has a good handle on it. DIFENETLY is an injury risk. What % i really don't know but i personally wouldnt waste a draft pick any higher then 5 or 6. He could be the BOMB this year but i fully expect him to be blowing out more then up.

David Boston the $200,000 manA must read on David Boston. Unlike the ESPN story, this one really details out his program. Dude spends $200k a year on nutrition and training.
This article definetly is a must read. I have had David Boston every year he has been in the league I am sold on him and after reading what he is doing to strengthen his joints along with his muscle he just got bumped up to #4 or #5 on my WR depth chart. The key for me is he may just explode now that he is not the sole focus of the defense.

I have had David Boston every year he has been in the league I am sold on him and after reading what he is doing to strengthen his joints along with his muscle he just got bumped up to #4 or #5 on my WR depth chart. The key for me is he may just explode now that he is not the sole focus of the defense.
I'm reposting in reply what I posted in the other thread
Now, Boston is trying to educate the Chargers about how they can get the most out of him on the field. Unlike last year's leading receiver, Curtis Conway, he doesn't believe it's in his best interest or the team's best interest for him to be on the field every play.

"They need to know the type of receiver that I've always been," Boston said. "If you're going to try to develop me into a Conway type of guy, I'm not an every-down guy. If I make like a nice catch on a dig, I'm going to need to come out of the game because I'm physically heavy. I have a lot of tissue, a lot of blood. I'm not in that type of shape. I'm in shape, but I'm not in that type of shape. I train for explosion, to be at my highest level for four or five plays, then come out for a couple.

"I'm a guy that really made my name by catching slants and making yards after the catch. I'm not really an 'out' runner; I'm really a guy that catches hitches. Guys back up off me because they're scared to death of my size. So if they just throw me (quick) routes and hitches and slants, and I make yards after the catch, that's where I can be successful.
That's about all I need to hear to be worried about boston this year, or ever, regaining his form from a few years ago. If he needs to take off alot of plays, he's no use.

One thing to pay attention to: "The receiver keeps testing clean (seven times last season). "If you spend every single waking hour completely dedicated to doing something to your body, I think it's very possible. I believe that he's clean but I believe the guy is really messed in the head.

One thing to pay attention to: "The receiver keeps testing clean (seven times last season). "If you spend every single waking hour completely dedicated to doing something to your body, I think it's very possible. I believe that he's clean but I believe the guy is really messed in the head.
yeah he is clean, he flushes out his ###.... regularly... :eek:

I, for one, admire the man's work ethic. Too many NFL players are lazy and only start to get in shape during camp for the season. For him to do this year round shows his commitment. Now I don't know if his commitment lies with football or himself, but I doubt many other NFL athletes are as serious about his body as this guy. On a side note, I played basketball and football incollege and had to gain some weight after bball season to start practice in August. The football coach at my university talked me into walking on to the football team my sophmore year after my freshman year of basketball to play DE. I finished basketball season at 6'8" 220 pounds and 10% body fat in March. By August I was 268 pounds and 6% body fat. I looked like a monster. I did it on a diet like Boston's, low carb high protein and six to seven meals a day. When I wasn't eating I was in the weight room. I was bigger than I ever had been and faster. After fall practice I played a few snaps in the first game of the year and decided I didn't like playing football as much as basketball and decided to leave the team and get back in basketball shape. I tried to drop my weight back down to around 230 but could never get close. By the time practice started in late October I weighed in at 254. Coach was a little pissed and said I shouldn't carry that much weight into the season. I tried to drop weight and couldn't.Three weeks into practice I tore my ACL, MCL and shattered by kneecap. My athletic career was basically over. I think Boston carrying all that weight will eventually cause his body to break down. At his current weight, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out of football in the next 3-4 years.

I find it amazing that any of you could read the article on page 1 of this thread, and still be excited about the prospects of owning this guy. Mean Joe Greene is a man of character and integrity, and you don't even need to read between the lines of his statements... he all but comes out and says that Boston is undependable. The sentence about his ankles being too thin to carry that body weight, especially given that he is coming off of patella tendon problems, is enough for me to let someone else draft him in all of my leagues. The risk/reward ratio simply isn't worth it for me.

Does anyone honestly think this guy is going to play 16 games? I'm guessing that even the biggest Boston supporters just answered "no" to that question. If that's the case, he has just as good a chance of being out weeks 14-16 as he does weeks 7-9, for instance. Is Boston someone that you can depend on to be in your lineup during your fantasy playoffs, considering the relatively high pick you'd need to acquire him? I don't think so.

Raidernation is right. Whether he's adding this weight legitimately or not, it's going to be too much bulk for his body. I don't see him ever playing a full season unless he gets this under control.

DUDE! He was tested SEVEN Times last year! He is not doing anything illegal! I think it is cool as hell that he is that big; he is a freakin robot!. I just wish he was not on my keeper team the added weight will take a toll on the body and I can see the joints not willing to take the extra strain. I better start looking for a trade.

FOOLS GOLD!!!I want this thread to be saved. So when Boston goes down, all you suckers will remember the 1000 warning signs.

OMG, after reading this article it reminds me so much of this guy I went to HS/College with. We played baseball together (I was pitcher/OF, he was catcher) and we always hung out together, lifting weights from age 16 on to 22. He got me into SERIOUS weight lifintg/dieting. He had all the muscle mags and we were always trying out the latest proven workouts. This guy was just mental as far as lifting goes and everything throughout the day ultimately came back to lifting weights. We would be in class together and I wouldtell him how i got a hot date this Friday night hnd he would say, "DUDE, what are you talking about? We don't have time for #### like that, we Friday is arms/Back day and we can't miss it!" He was just mental when it came to his body, his number 1 priority. I enjoyed our rigorous workouts and went from a slightly overweight (had not lifted before) 205 down to 195, then back up to lean 245 on a 6'2 frame. We ate 6 meals a day and nothing but proteins, little to no carbs.I was in such good shape and had so much muscle mass that wen I broke my leg (foot getting caught in a chain link fence on a fly ball hit to the fence and coming down hard on my ankle) I lost about 35 pounds while waiting for my leg to heal. Most people gain weight when they get immobilized, not lose it. I gained the weight back almost instantaneously when i came back to lifting weights (while still in a cast).Anyway the morale of the story is I believe Boston about not taking any illegal substance because my friend had about the same frame as Boston, and went from 175 to 275 in the span of about 6 years and he did not take roids or growth hormones. He had 6 specific meals a day and his whole life surrounded itself around building muscle and diet.Pick up a muscle mag out there and you will see the kind of dedication that is required to get these kinds of resluts. Basically these guys sleep all day and are only awake for about 8 hours, just to eat, workout, then go to bed to recoup. I am sure that is why Boston is in his room all day.One thing I remember was that I started hitting a lot more home runs and I gained a step or two thanks to the explosion workouts we did. I hit 15 home runs and stole 19 bases in a 16 game season my senior year in HS and I know lifting helped me do it because I had avg speed before but then gained a lot of speed from training legs. one thing though I feel you can go too far as I noticed when we go to college, my buddy lost some bat speed from bulking up his chest too much. He would never admit to it but he lost a lot of pop on his swing when he got over 240. his frame seemed too small for his muscle mass. He had a med frame, much like Boston.There is a balance where weight lifting helps to a certain point for skill positions IMO and hurts if you go too far.Neither of us made it further than college ball and now he is an extreme fighter while I am a computer programmer... go figure. The guy still lives the religious "crazy" lifting lifestyle while I have become more of the Joe six pack. I remember in those days how I felt so superior to others because I was huge, and I figured I was so special because I gave the dedication to look the way I looked. I mean when we would walk into a restaurant or a club or something everyone stared at us and it was cool looking freakish. I am over all this now (married), but it was agreat confidence builder and a fun lifestyle. I am sure Boston feels the same way and thinks he deserves to be the best WR on the field because his entire life is devoted to improving his body. But I think it's unhealthy to go to far and I think his game will suffer much like my friends did in baseball.The good news is its easy for him to drop the weight as long as he realizes its a mistake to be that large. The key is that he needs to be convinced it is hurting his game or he will continue to get larger and larger until it ruins his game enough for him to notice. Eventually this will happen. I think this year will be the year he realizes he got too big for WR.I would stay away from him this year and expect him to come back next year a little wiser. You gotta go outside the boundaries and see where to draw the line before you can really know when you have gone too far. I think this is the season he realizes he went too fra and got too big and next season he will come back at 225-230 and OWN.Just my opinion.

Actually now that I think of it, what's really scary is that at 265, Boston is bigger than Shockey, Heap, Crumpler, Franks, Alexander, Pollard, and Gonzo.
I heard a radio interview with Boston a few weeks ago. He said he was about 250 at the time, but could be 240 or 260 in no time if he wanted to.He's listed at 6-2, 245. You know the really scary thing? That's exactly Donovan McNabb's size as well! You don't normally think of McNabb as being huge, but he's also a tremendous specimen with pretty low bodyfat.

I've been saying all along I don't think Boston is an upgrade over Curtis Conway. Boston appears a bit stiff to me, doesn't change direction quickly, does too much body-catching, and doesn't have great hands.He can outrun most CBs, though, and is a monster after the catch. So we'll see . . .

He's listed at 6-2, 245. You know the really scary thing? That's exactly Donovan McNabb's size as well! You don't normally think of McNabb as being huge, but he's also a tremendous specimen with pretty low bodyfat.
I know......McNabb is a monster. It's funny, though, it looks like most of Boston's weight is in his arms and most of McNabb's weight is in his booty. :rotflmao:

He's listed at 6-2, 245. You know the really scary thing? That's exactly Donovan McNabb's size as well! You don't normally think of McNabb as being huge, but he's also a tremendous specimen with pretty low bodyfat.
I know......McNabb is a monster. It's funny, though, it looks like most of Boston's weight is in his arms and most of McNabb's weight is in his booty. :rotflmao:
It's from his lifetime supply of Chunky soup!! :D

I'd be shocked if this guy is sporting more than 4.5 inches where it counts.Typical musclehead/overcompensator. ;)

Just a little science to add to the mix. The human body is a remarkable machine... always adjusting to what it's put through. You can't just say "he's got too much weight" or "he's too big". That's just not scientifically sound. The body can adapt to just about anything you can throw at it and will adapt to accept things that aren't "normal".Some people can work out 24/7 and not get 'big'. That's why you see these thin guys just ripped up with muscle but with no real bulk. The body just adapts and does so at astounding ability. Boston is fairly tall, 6'2'' and has a very wide frame. He's got the body type to support the weight... probably alot more weight as well. I can understand the idea that he may be apt to re-injure something he's already injured. But, if you are just basing this injury-waiting-to-happen tag on your estimation that all this training is bad for him... I think you need to re-evaluate. I'd argue that his body has had more then enough time to adapt to his workouts and training now then it did a year ago (usually takes about a year). The thing is. I don't think it's possible to develop any sort of causality between body types, workout procedures and injuries. If you cut wrong, you're going to blow a knee... whether your as massive as david boston or stick-like. I bet if you pooled all the injuries in the past bunch of years you'd find every body type, style, weight and height with about equal distribution and variance.Heck, Bill Romanowski has had what (up until David Boston) was a pretty freaking extreme workout. Sure, the guys a jerkoff, but he's been around a looong time and hasn't been particularly "injury prone". In fact, a great deal of NFL guys are subscribing to his logic and trying it as well (you ever seen shannon sharpe without a shirt? Jeeze). For that matter, Jerry Rice's workout was considered crazy back in the day as well.If you want to evaluate the guy, do so on the way he plays, not his off-centered-ness or the fact that his freakish workout gives you the heebeejeebee's and makes you think he's going to pop like a failed science experiment.I'm semi-high on Boston, but I don't think you'll get any value out of him... unless more of this "freakish injury waiting to happen" rumors spread. He's in a ball control system, and I'd call him the ultimate ball control reciever. He'll get you 10 yards out of a 2yard hitch. He'll pound in the middle and break it for a score. He said it himself and I think it fits well into what the chargers and marty-ball does. I'd argue that Brees is a better choice then Plummer throwing him the ball and that LT is going to make it easy for him to be open the bulk of the time. Conway was similiar, but, Boston is faster, tougher to jam and will get alot more YAC. So, take conway's numbers, stretch 'em out to a full season and add a few scores and some yards for YAC and you get........pretty darn close to what FBG's projects.Is that worth a 2nd or early 3rd? not really. Late 3rd, early 4th.. sure, I'd do that in a heartbeat.It just depends on the hype machine. If this stuff continues, then maybe he'll drop. We shall see.F

Hey fellas. The two recent stories on David Boston intrigued me quite a bit, so I e-mailed one of them to one of my good friends who is finishing up his PhD in Biochemistry. He is not an NFL junky, so he doesn't know anything about Boston's history/attitude, but he is a big sports fan and a gym rat himself so I wanted to ask him what he thought of Boston's regimen, and here's what he said:

So the monster wide out. ##### man, he is scary. If you want some of my input; here it is. I think that he probably has dabbled in some things that he shouldn't have. It sounds like they are using amazing technology to measure metabolites and ##### in his blood. I think that this will allow him to grow to unbelivable size, however, that type of technology also allows them to "iron out" their cheating. That being said, I don't think he is simply a "roid monkey".I would pick him if 1) you have another man that you are extremely confident in so that if this guy folds you are not dead in the water 2) he actually has talent and not only relies on his size 2) his team has a QB that can get him the ballAbout his body holding up I think there is a good chance he will be ok. Afterall, he is running into safeties and cornerbacks who are probably 60% his size. If he was a back and was being smoked by linebackers who had comparable size and he is totally juiced passed what his body can handle, he may not last. So yeah, I think he will remain fairly healthy. I guess another risk is that if he gets too big in his head and decides not to play intelligently (ie not taking approaching players seriously and keeping head down and ##### like that: see Eric Lindros and his ten concussions) he may get hurt.In conclusion, I would probably go with him. I think there are more risky players out there to go for (ie older receivers, qb's, runningbacks). However, I don't know anything about his talent. So if you think he is a good choice I wouldn't disagree based on his body.
So basically I think it comes down to the facts that have been stated here ad nauseum:1. Boston has an injury history -- not necessarily related to his size, but he gets dinged up a lot.2. Martyball/Brees -- is he going to get the opportunities, or will he mostly function as a decoy to make space for LT, and can Brees get him the ball when he needs to?3. His attitude -- I don't like the idea that he doesn't think he should be in there for every down, but it actually makes a lot of sense, and it does sound like he has the team's best interests at heart; ie, he doesn't want plays off because he's lazy, or because he's a primadonna like Randy Moss, but rather because he thinks that's the way he can be most effective.Overall, reading these articles has I think improved Boston's value in my eyes -- he is a competitor, if a bit of a headcase, but he wants to win games. The question marks are the same as always -- injuries and opportunity. I don't see any reason to downgrade him based on his workout regimen or his "sprinter's ankles". Dude is a football player not a ballerina. I see Boston as a WR in the 7-10 range, behind consistent, non-insane players like Ward and talented but less injury prone guys such as Burress or KRob. I am scared of taking him in my keeper league draft this year but if he's there and represents the best value, I will pull the trigger.

Wow, this has got to be the first time I started a topic that went 3 pages. Pretty sweet, although, it probably wouldn't have gone this far without the dude who posted the actual article I was talking about. Such an interesting story, though. Even if you don't draft him, you can't help but want to tune into SD games just to see what he does this year.

about the pics of him playing....well one he is obvious holding the DB, you can easily see the DB's jersey being pulledand the other one well, looks like the guy tried to go for his legs and he just pushed him down.

This article definetly is a must read. I have had David Boston every year he has been in the league I am sold on him and after reading what he is doing to strengthen his joints along with his muscle he just got bumped up to #4 or #5 on my WR depth chart. The key for me is he may just explode now that he is not the sole focus of the defense.

I didn't read the article... but you can't "strengthen your joints". Your joints do not have strength. You can strengthen the muscles that support the joints... which all muscles do.

The ligaments and tendons CAN NOT be strengthened... and therein lies the problem is his incredible muscle mass. Eventually that mass will cause the connective tissue in one of his joints to tear.

The ligaments and tendons CAN NOT be strengthened... and therein lies the problem is his incredible muscle mass. Eventually that mass will cause the connective tissue in one of his joints to tear.
Ok, stop the madness. Does anyone here really have a clue of what they are saying or are you guys just posting random musings that pop in your head.First some basics. Ligaments are not even connected to muscle. They are strictly bone to bone attachments and they are there for support and structure. The ACL, MCL, PCL are ligaments. They have absolutely nothing to do with anything muscle. The only remotely close thing is... if you build up muscle around the area you can somewhat limit injury to a ligament by limiting the stress on that ligament and allowing muscle to shoulder some of that stress.Tendons are Muscle to Bone attachments. This is the sort of thing that I "think" you guys are worried about. It sounds like this myth... the stonger someone is, the more pressure is placed on their tendons, the easier they will snap. I'm here to tell you, it doesn't happen. There are two tendon injuries that are at the very least, somewhat common. The Achille's tendon and the Patella tendon. The achilles tendon is the stringy thing at your heel that connects the muscles of the calf to the bone in you heal. Achille's injuries are usually the result of extensive downward pressure on you, while you are pushing upwards against it. Most of the time it's a pretty freak injury. I don't care how strong your calf is, it's not going to put enough pressure on your achilles to snap it. The tensile strength of tendons, especially in younger people is enormous. Which is why weightlifters can lift 500 lbs and not have tendons snap on them. The patella tendon is a knee tendon. Again, this injury really has very very little to do with anything the muscles around the knee cap are doing to pull on it. Most Patella tendon problems are the result of knee ligament injuries or due to jumping.You just do NOT see the flexor tendons of the arms/hands getting snapped by massive biceps and forearm muscles. It just doesn't happen. Trust me on this one... the MUSCLE is going to tear before the tendon does. And larger muscle mass is usually BETTER for preventing muscle tears then smaller muscle mass.STOP THE INSANITY!F

It doesn't matter how big the guy gets, his tendons around his knees and ankles more than likely aren't getting any stronger.What an enlightening article. Makes me think of Hans and Franz when their arms snap off and blood spews everyplace.I remember when the Bears drafted a 'specimen' called James Thornton, a TE called "ROBOCOP". Great physique, AWFUL football player. And from the rumors, acne all over his back....Hopefully Boston will make a good #2WR on my keeper team. I'm more worried about him snapping a knee tendon than a suspension. Interesting that Thomas Jones is all of the sudden huge too this year.Buddies with Boston eh? I'll bet.

Here's a surprise... clipped from Fanball.com===============================THE NEWSDavid Boston has been in and out of practice since training camp opened in late July, so it comes as no surprise to read a Union Tribune report that he missed Wednesday's workout with a heel injury. This is his third injury of the preseason.OUR VIEWWe're officially annoyed with Boston. Yes, he is a stud when he's on the field. But therein lies the problem. Former coaches and teammates speculate that Boston is just too big for his 6-2 frame. Given his recent injury history, they may be right. Boston's weight reportedly is up to 257 pounds...and growing.==============================Anyone who drafts this guy deserves whatever they get.

Ok, stop the madness. Does anyone here really have a clue of what they are saying or are you guys just posting random musings that pop in your head.First some basics. Ligaments are not even connected to muscle. They are strictly bone to bone attachments and they are there for support and structure. The ACL, MCL, PCL are ligaments. They have absolutely nothing to do with anything muscle. The only remotely close thing is... if you build up muscle around the area you can somewhat limit injury to a ligament by limiting the stress on that ligament and allowing muscle to shoulder some of that stress.Tendons are Muscle to Bone attachments. This is the sort of thing that I "think" you guys are worried about. It sounds like this myth... the stonger someone is, the more pressure is placed on their tendons, the easier they will snap. I'm here to tell you, it doesn't happen. There are two tendon injuries that are at the very least, somewhat common. The Achille's tendon and the Patella tendon. The achilles tendon is the stringy thing at your heel that connects the muscles of the calf to the bone in you heal. Achille's injuries are usually the result of extensive downward pressure on you, while you are pushing upwards against it. Most of the time it's a pretty freak injury. I don't care how strong your calf is, it's not going to put enough pressure on your achilles to snap it. The tensile strength of tendons, especially in younger people is enormous. Which is why weightlifters can lift 500 lbs and not have tendons snap on them. The patella tendon is a knee tendon. Again, this injury really has very very little to do with anything the muscles around the knee cap are doing to pull on it. Most Patella tendon problems are the result of knee ligament injuries or due to jumping.You just do NOT see the flexor tendons of the arms/hands getting snapped by massive biceps and forearm muscles. It just doesn't happen. Trust me on this one... the MUSCLE is going to tear before the tendon does. And larger muscle mass is usually BETTER for preventing muscle tears then smaller muscle mass.STOP THE INSANITY!F
:thumbup: :thumbup:

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A few comments.First of all, due to reduced blood supply relative to the muscle tissue, tendons and ligaments thicken at a slower rate than muscle tissue==so it is possible to get too strong too fast for your own body. In non-drug tested powerlifting competitions, it's not uncommon at all to see catastrophic tendon tears--usually pec, bicep, and quad insertion tears. In dynamic events like a football game it's peak load usually as a result of some type of forceful contraction from a pre-stretched position that causes tendon avulsions--these forces are often well in excess of a players ability to lift any weight equivalent to the peak load. (It also speaks to the idiocy of doing bench presses in a manner where the bar is allowed to drop too quickly to the chest. Forcing the relatively fragile shoulder complex to such high loading forces while trying to change the bar's direction is the main reason so many long time weight lifters have bad shoulders. The bar might have 300lbs on it but the peak load at the change in direction can go as high as 500-600lbs or more depending on the lifters inability to control the descent. Those are the forces that can cause micro or macro traumas.) In addition to patella and achillies, bicep and tricep tendon avulsion injuries are also very common, as well as pectoral tears. Granted the upper body injuries are more common in linemen and defensive players but Boston's penchant for destroying a jammer certainly doesn't rule out tricep or pectoral tendon tears. I'm not a doctor but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.

Now, Boston is trying to educate the Chargers about how they can get the most out of him on the field. Unlike last year's leading receiver, Curtis Conway, he doesn't believe it's in his best interest or the team's best interest for him to be on the field every play.

"They need to know the type of receiver that I've always been," Boston said. "If you're going to try to develop me into a Conway type of guy, I'm not an every-down guy. If I make like a nice catch on a dig, I'm going to need to come out of the game because I'm physically heavy. I have a lot of tissue, a lot of blood. I'm not in that type of shape. I'm in shape, but I'm not in that type of shape. I train for explosion, to be at my highest level for four or five plays, then come out for a couple.
That's about all I need to hear to be worried about boston this year, or ever, regaining his form from a few years ago. If he needs to take off alot of plays, he's no use.
Which is the better situation for the team? 1) The Chargers' David Boston coming to the sidelines for a couple plays so that Eric Parker can replace him on the field?

Or

2) The Vikings' Randy Moss taking off a couple plays during action by not running his routes and half-assing it down the field?

You obviously know nothing about bobybuilding. It is indeed possible to naturally gain or lose over 40 lbs in a year w/o help. Bobybuilding is 80% diet 20 % pushing weights. Maybe Boston shaved his head b/c he wanted too... There are pleanty of guys that shave their heads these days. And not too be stereotypical, but there aren't many ways a black man can wear his hair (shave or braided in the summer, fro in the winter). However, I do believe MR. Boston's liver must be taken some kind of damage if he is consuming 90 pills a day. In fact many Russian bodybuilders and personal trainers whom I know can drop or gain 40 lbs in a month just b/c their diet is so good and clean. I highly doubt he is on HGH.
...so do you know where I can get some steroids?You seem like the kinda guy who would know...

This could turn out to be pretty hilarious! :rotflmao: Boston will probably hurt himself, droids or not.. The ole ball joints can take only so much horsepower before they start to break down.. The funny part to me, is that SD is just now starting to recover from the ramifications of signing Rian Leaf to that huge contract.. now they have Boston... His contract is no where near as bad as Leafs was, but it seems like them chargers might be jinxed.. And if Boston is clean,, and his body manages to hold up long enough for him to break some records, then we may be witnessing the next phase of NFL athletes.. And his trainer will become a rich, rich man..

Users who are viewing this thread