What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Hawthorne (1 Viewer)

Sterling Sharpe liked his game last week and showed plays on Playbook. He shed blocks well and was relentless getting to both Barber and Romo.

May have a couple of sacks this week too.

How can you say "but what if" about sacks? That is like saying if you take away all those "lucky" long touchdown runs by Chris Johnson, he is average.
it's actually not the same, but I'm open to more analogies if you want to try another one.
It actually is exactly the same. Big plays took his average 5 tackle (7.5 points) to a 20 point week, since no LB is averaging 20 points per week in any league I am in and his ONLY other start was a 30+ point game I would say in games in which he starts he has produced at a VERY high level and if it takes 15 tackles or 2 sacks, I could care less, he is averaging 25+ points per start. Do I think he keeps that production? Probably not, I am not getting all crazy and comparing him to PW yet, but I also can't ignore the actual facts.

With his interceptions I'm not so sure they'll take him out when Hill is healthy. 2 more today.

3 Passes Defensed

2 Interceptions

8 Tackles

1 Assists

6 Interception Return Yards

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the advice, went and picked hawthorne up saturday night and he was my highest scoring defender, even outscoring half my offensive guys. Great call.

This guy has has been one of the better free agent pick-ups, thanks Jene and John. I jumped on him earlier in the season when he was an injury fill-in. The last 2 weeks he has been a monster.

Hate to bring this up again but what is his value in keeper league? How do I not find room to keep this guy regardless of Tatupu contract..IDo I consider keeping him over Dansby/T.Cole in a tackle-heavy league? I have Rudd, Fletcher, and Dansby penciled now at LB (Start 3)

Hate to bring this up again but what is his value in keeper league? How do I not find room to keep this guy regardless of Tatupu contract..IDo I consider keeping him over Dansby/T.Cole in a tackle-heavy league? I have Rudd, Fletcher, and Dansby penciled now at LB (Start 3)
he's been better than fletcher this year hasn't he?

I'm about to jump on Leroy Hill. His tackle numbers are great considering he is not playing ever snap and it appears he will be eventually as he is the fastest of the LB's.

he's been better than fletcher this year hasn't he?
Fletcher is a proven stud. There's a post on why he's not putting up big numbers lately and it has more to do with WASH facing the less rushing attempts(way below avg) but Fletcher is still leading the team in tackles. Again Im talking about after this year with Tatupu coming back next year with many years left on his contract??

I'm about to jump on Leroy Hill. His tackle numbers are great considering he is not playing ever snap and it appears he will be eventually as he is the fastest of the LB's.
I'm not so sure they will put Hawthorne or Curry on the bench. Who would you pull off the field?From IDP upgradesHawthorne continues to climb the ranks of fantasy linebackers with another huge game this week. He was credited with a team-high 8 solo tackles and an assist while also adding 2 interceptions and 3 passes defensed. In 3 starts at MLB this year, Hawthorne has posted 28 solo tackles, 5 assists, 2 sacks, 3 interceptions, a forced fumble, and 5 passes defensed. If he keeps this up, it looks Tatupu might have to fight for his starting job next year.

i don't see how he isn't a must start on a weekly basis at this point.

he's put up top 20 numbers in half the season. he's outscored ej henderson and london fletcher, among others.

he's started 3 games this year.

he has 15 solos and a pick; 5 solos and 2 sacks; and 8 solos and 2 picks in those three games.

Those are pretty freaking spectacular numbers.

How is his matchup @ AZ? I'm thinking of benching DJ Williams or D. Harris for him this week. He's been sitting on the bench the last 2 weeks but it hasn't cost me (yet).

Leroy Hill replaced Aaron Curry in the nickel package during the second half last week. What little concern left over with Hawthorne for the rest of 2009 is now gone. Consider him a LB1/LB2 for the rest of the season.

Wow Curry is the one bumped from the nickel.
I'm not a big believer in the rookie wall, but Curry hasn't been the same player over the past two weeks. He may still see some nickel snaps at backer or as a pass rusher, but after Mora's comments suggesting Hill would return to an every-down job soon and Hawthorne's strong play, the writing was on the wall for Curry.

So what's Hill's value? He has some very good tackle numbers and hasn't been on the field full time.

Steelfan7 said:
Is Hawthorne a ILB or OLB? Weekly FBG rankings have him as OLB, but NFL.com lists him as MLB.
He's the middle linebacker. The Seahawks like him so much that they may move to a 3-4 scheme in 2010 to put him on the field at the same time as Lofa:Seahawks.com

Steelfan7 said:
Is Hawthorne a ILB or OLB? Weekly FBG rankings have him as OLB, but NFL.com lists him as MLB.
He's the middle linebacker. The Seahawks like him so much that they may move to a 3-4 scheme in 2010 to put him on the field at the same time as Lofa:Seahawks.com
Hmm. If they tender him a high offer or make him a multi year offer that may be what they do (3-4). Or they could rip him off and only give him 4 to 500K.

Steelfan7 said:
the article doesn't say anthing concrete. it does say at the least the hawks would use some 3-4packages to get hawthorne on the field with lofa. i don't know about the personnel they have on the DL transitioning to a 3man line. many teams struggle or switch back when trying to implement a 3-4

Steelfan7 said:
Hmm. If they tender him a high offer or make him a multi year offer that may be what they do (3-4). Or they could rip him off and only give him 4 to 500K.
I would be surprised if they sign him to a long-term contract since they already have 3 LBs signed long-term. They likely could not afford to have so much money committed to the LB position.

I would be surprised if they sign him to a long-term contract since they already have 3 LBs signed long-term. They likely could not afford to have so much money committed to the LB position.
I totally agree AB, I was more thinking that if he tears it up the rest of this year, he could be very good trade bait for another team, if they keep him in Seattle, I doubt they change his contract, but just let him play out his current one and keep him as a great back-up/possible other starter if they do run some 34 next year.

I totally agree AB, I was more thinking that if he tears it up the rest of this year, he could be very good trade bait for another team, if they keep him in Seattle, I doubt they change his contract, but just let him play out his current one and keep him as a great back-up/possible other starter if they do run some 34 next year.
He's gonna be an exclusive rights free agent, so if they want to keep him they have to make him an offer. And I was just talking about like a 2 year deal for 1.5-2 mil. He only makes $385k this year.

The Cards ran 26 run plays and Hawthorne still posts 10 solos and 1 assist. In four starts, I believe that's 38 solos, six assists, two sacks, one forced fumble and two interceptions. There's no reason he should be riding the bench next season.

They could trade Lofa to the Redskins. Fletcher is getting up in age and Snyder doesn't value draft picks.

I'm late to the party here.

Is Hawthorne locked in as a starter for the rest of the year?

I only ask because I don't know his entire story or the injury status of the other SEA LB's. I know he is playing great, but is he 100% sure to start the rest of the year, barring injury?

Thanks

4 - Digit Shark said:
I'm late to the party here.Is Hawthorne locked in as a starter for the rest of the year?I only ask because I don't know his entire story or the injury status of the other SEA LB's. I know he is playing great, but is he 100% sure to start the rest of the year, barring injury?Thanks
I would say, there is no 100% sure thing in FF, the only sure thing is change. I haven't seen many highlights from this weeks game but if he is still calling the plays I am guessing he is going to be staying on the field almost every down the rest of the year.

4 - Digit Shark said:
I'm late to the party here.Is Hawthorne locked in as a starter for the rest of the year?I only ask because I don't know his entire story or the injury status of the other SEA LB's. I know he is playing great, but is he 100% sure to start the rest of the year, barring injury?Thanks
He was the backup MLB before Lofa got hurt. Nothing is 100%but DD Lewis is the listed backup. Curry could be moved there I suppose but unless he gets hurt I doubt they go there.Earlier one team source was quoted saying they may consider the 3-4 next year to get him on the field. I think he's safe.

another 2 solo tackles in the first 4 plays 2nd half...looking like a stud
He's been the top fantasy :LB the last few weeks in most of my leagues. Nice to see Lofton doing better today but Barnett :goodposting: Aaron Kampman had a good game til he got hurt(took him to the locker room-knee-no word yet). He stuck with a couple TE's pretty well.

Lord, I may have to start him at some point, but who do I bench? Willis or Lofton?

At the very worst, I'm keeping him off of someone else's roster!

Go, Horned Frogs!!!

RommelDAK said:
Lord, I may have to start him at some point, but who do I bench? Willis or Lofton?At the very worst, I'm keeping him off of someone else's roster!Go, Horned Frogs!!!
You only start 2? Pick a game without good matchups for Lofton. Hawthorne has been more consistent than Curtis.

Actually, the guy I was tempted to bench this week was Willis, which would have been the right call--but benching Willis?! I won big, anyway.

What I really need is to be able to start Hawthorne as a running back!

Actually, the guy I was tempted to bench this week was Willis, which would have been the right call--but benching Willis?! I won big, anyway.What I really need is to be able to start Hawthorne as a running back!
This guy is a supreme Bad ###!!! Read this post when it was made about a month ago and since then I have won 6 straight games after starting 0-5. Thank you for the advise, whoever started the thread but great f*c*ing my friend.

Either way, Hawthorne should be a top 10 scoring LB (easily) for the rest of the year.I picked him up and started him last week over Beason. He was projected by yahoo to score 3 points, he scored 20.
You have high hopes for him, but I wouldn't count on him being top 20.
Looking good so far. Has there been a linebacker better than him since he took over as a starter?
He must be fired up by his alma mater's undefeated season (so far)!

he is no.1 in my league over the past 3 weeks.

for the season he is no. 8. despite not playing much in weeks 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6.

you need to start him if you have him.

Actually, the guy I was tempted to bench this week was Willis, which would have been the right call--but benching Willis?! I won big, anyway.What I really need is to be able to start Hawthorne as a running back!
This guy is a supreme Bad ###!!! Read this post when it was made about a month ago and since then I have won 6 straight games after starting 0-5. Thank you for the advise, whoever started the thread but great f*c*ing my friend.
I have to give props to bcr8f, I think he mentioned before me... by a little. :-) But we both have been his biggest promoters by far.

I teach at TCU, where Hawthorne played in college, and mentioned to my class today has he's been incredible this year. One of students said he'd played in a 5-on-5 basketball tournament against him. My student isn't small, at probably 6' or a little over and about 190. He said Hawthorne was as tall, but 50+ pounds of muscle heavier. At one point in the game, my student decided that it might be a good idea to stand in front of Hawthorne to try to draw a charge. Bad idea. He never tried it again.

Not a useful IDP story, but another indicator of how little attention defense gets in the NFL--no one in class had any earthly idea that Hawthorne was doing so well, despite the fact he had gone to TCU.

Is Hawthorne basically match-up resistant?
Considering he is far and away the #1 scoring defensive player on a ppg basis... yes.In my main league -- in his 6 games played he has 49 points. Good for 8.166 per game.

By way of comparison: Willis 6.75. Harrison/DHarris/Cushing 5.8. (DSharper 5.9 & JAllen 5.5).

And while I readily agree the more games he plays the more likely his stats get closer to the leagues baseline -- I dont see how you can pull him for any reason until he shows/proves he needs to be pulled.
with only 6 games left, i'll take my chances. its a terrible team. so he's going to be on the field - a lot. here's another question:

the seahawks said they will consider going to a 3-4 next year. how much of an impact would that have on his value next year? i'm thinking, if you are out of the race this year, he might be a good sell high guy.

Considering he is far and away the #1 scoring defensive player on a ppg basis... yes.In my main league -- in his 6 games played he has 49 points. Good for 8.166 per game.

By way of comparison: Willis 6.75. Harrison/DHarris/Cushing 5.8. (DSharper 5.9 & JAllen 5.5).

And while I readily agree the more games he plays the more likely his stats get closer to the leagues baseline -- I dont see how you can pull him for any reason until he shows/proves he needs to be pulled.
with only 6 games left, i'll take my chances. its a terrible team. so he's going to be on the field - a lot. here's another question:

the seahawks said they will consider going to a 3-4 next year. how much of an impact would that have on his value next year? i'm thinking, if you are out of the race this year, he might be a good sell high guy.
From what I understood, Ruskell said they would look at using some 3-4 packages. Not that they would move to a full 3-4 defense.

Not a bad week for Hawthorne, but definitely not what we've come to expect. If it weren't for his sack, it would be a very mediocre week, in fact.

Anyone watch the game?

Were there fewer opportunities for him?

The team actually said that or was it just one source?

Users who are viewing this thread