What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DeAngelo on the trade block? (1 Viewer)

Tree Shaker

Footballguy
@AdamSchefter teams around league have contacted Carolina to inquire about RB DeAngelo Williams.

He might have been dropped in some leagues (as he has in mine), but what are the odds that a trade in the NFL actually happens?

Any team that trades for him will need to pick up his ridiculous contract. A better question to ask: can any team even accommodate him under their current cap?

A lot of teams could fit him in, i just don't know why they would want to.

Moss tore up good money and took a lesser deal when he went to the pats, but he apparently really wanted out of oakland

Any team that trades for him will need to pick up his ridiculous contract. A better question to ask: can any team even accommodate him under their current cap?
A trade isn't likely to happen because Carolina would take an immediate $9.6M cap hit for the portion of his signing bonus that has not yet been charged against the salary cap. That would be in addition to the $3.2M of his signing bonus and the $5M in guaranteed 2012 salary both already against this year's cap. (I assume the $5M in salary would stay on their cap since it is guaranteed, but not 100% sure.)That is up to $17.8M against Carolina's cap this year for him if they trade or cut him now. I don't see that happening.However, assuming any team that trades for him is in need of a starting caliber RB, they would get a pretty good deal. Here is what would be remaining on his contract:2012: $5.25M (prorated)2013: $4.75M2014: $5.75M2015: $6.75MHe would be unlikely to see that 2015 salary, and perhaps not the 2014 salary either. 2012 prorated and 2013 are pretty reasonable, assuming he is still playing well. And none of the money after this season is guaranteed, so they could cut him or renegotiate his contract at any time.I think there are probably a number of teams for which this would make sense, I just don't think it makes sense for Carolina.

A trade isn't likely to happen because Carolina would take an immediate $9.6M cap hit for the portion of his signing bonus that has not yet been charged against the salary cap. That would be in addition to the $3.2M of his signing bonus and the $5M in guaranteed 2012 salary both already against this year's cap. (I assume the $5M in salary would stay on their cap since it is guaranteed, but not 100% sure.)That is up to $17.8M against Carolina's cap this year for him if they trade or cut him now. I don't see that happening.However, assuming any team that trades for him is in need of a starting caliber RB, they would get a pretty good deal. Here is what would be remaining on his contract:2012: $5.25M (prorated)2013: $4.75M2014: $5.75M2015: $6.75MHe would be unlikely to see that 2015 salary, and perhaps not the 2014 salary either. 2012 prorated and 2013 are pretty reasonable, assuming he is still playing well. And none of the money after this season is guaranteed, so they could cut him or renegotiate his contract at any time.I think there are probably a number of teams for which this would make sense, I just don't think it makes sense for Carolina.
Agree that it would be quite a financial hit for Carolina. However, it may make sense for them. They would be off the hook for the remainder of the 2012 salary, and even though the cap number would skyrocket, it would actually save them money. They have no guarantees to him in 2013, so it they will probably opt out after this season either way. If they trade him, they would presumably get draft pick compensation. Something this team clearly needs more than a 29 year old RB. Packers would definitely make sense if Ted could part with a pick. (4th?) Benson is very questionable for return, and Alex Green has been pedestrian.

Who would want him and for what?

Maybe a 3rd, maybe. Probably in the 4 or 5 range and then its just better off for the Panthers to keep him.

Users who are viewing this thread