What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Delone Carter (1 Viewer)

Hank Mardukas

Footballguy
With his role apparently growing, what's Carter's real value? I'm considering dropping him for some other speculative pick ups, but does he have the potential to be a startable option with a healthy Addai? I know Indy looks dreadful right now, but it seems like they should improve to some extent as the season goes on.

I'd say he's much more than a handcuff - more like a time share.

If the season gets away from the Colts, as anticipated, I would guess he will get a larger and larger piece of the pie. I don't know how he is in pass protection, but I'm sure that will be a factor in how much time he gets over Addai.

Addai and Brown are likely gone after this year, so they probably want to see what they have in Carter for next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on league depth. I'm in a shallow league where I had to cut Addai because he was just depth. Even in 12 team leagues, I don't think you'll ever be excited to start the Colts RB this year.

Addai and Brown are likely gone after this year, so they probably want to see what they have in Carter for next year.
Why do you say Addai will be gone? He signed a 3 year contract this year. I'll agree with you on Brown...he will be waived for sure. They don't call him "Damnit Donald" for nothing.I own Carter, and I'm holding onto him throughout the season to see how his role evolves.

Depends on league depth. I'm in a shallow league where I had to cut Addai because he was just depth. Even in 12 team leagues, I don't think you'll ever be excited to start the Colts RB this year.
Addai is the 27th ranked RB so far this year in my PPR league.

Why do you say Addai will be gone? He signed a 3 year contract this year. I'll agree with you on Brown...he will be waived for sure. They don't call him "Damnit Donald" for nothing.I own Carter, and I'm holding onto him throughout the season to see how his role evolves.
Ya if Manning comes back from injury next year I doubt they let Addai go, but they may have a full blown RBBC

Why do you say Addai will be gone? He signed a 3 year contract this year.
Doesn't mean they can't cut him - it's not like it was a big contract. But I suppose they could keep him around as a mentor/veteran depth.
I wouldn't be so quick to discount the fact that he is a better RB than Carter.

Why do you say Addai will be gone? He signed a 3 year contract this year.
Doesn't mean they can't cut him - it's not like it was a big contract. But I suppose they could keep him around as a mentor/veteran depth.
Addai protects Manning well, they won't get rid of that with Manning coming off injury

Carter doesn't impress me. At least in that current situation. The again, I don't claim to have any scouting skills. I own Addai for depth, & I dropped Carter to pick up Fred Davis. If someone else wants to fill a roster slot w/ an Indy RB, so be it.

Dropped him for Bernard Scott due to recent Benson news.
You realize that Carter is doing with his play something that only a suspension is allowing Scott to do - namely earn more time. Scott is 29 and never been given much playing time - even with a seeming slug like Benson ahead of him. Why? Well, basically, because he simply isn't that talented. I have both Benson and Carter on my bench - and thought of cutting Carter to get Scott never even crossed my mind.

Awaiting the MRI results on Addai's hamstring injury. If Addai is out for a few weeks how will Carter do? I don't know much about him. But FBG had positive things to say about him as a player during pre season. Dodds projected him to have 615 rushing yards, 5 TDs, 11 reception, 79 reception yards for 2011. Some quotes from FBG experts:

Colin Dowling - The Donald Brown era doesn't appear to have worked out very well. Joseph Addai is another year older and hasn't played a full season since 2006. While Addai will not doubt be leaned on as the veteran back in the Colts well-seasoned offense, I expect Carter to get a lot of the punishing carries in the offense to keep Addai healthy. Carter runs with a lot of power and should be a great fit between the tackles for Indianapolis, a place where they have had trouble running the ball in the past.

Jeff Pasquino - Carter is RB52 on the list here as I write this -- and he may be ascending -- but the great news for Carter fans is that everyone is looking at the re-signing of Joseph Addai as a cap to Carter's value. I have always projected Addai for returning to the Colts, and frankly Carter is a better runner between the tackles. Look for a timeshare in the Indianapolis backfield and Carter to score 8+ touchdowns this year for an offense that desperately needs a back who can push the ball over the goal line.

Chris Smith - I believe the best running back in Indianapolis right now may be rookie Delone Carter. He has great size and surprising quickness. Not lovely Joseph Addai, I believe as the season goes on, Carter may emerge as the go to back.

Awaiting the MRI results on Addai's hamstring injury. If Addai is out for a few weeks how will Carter do? I don't know much about him. But FBG had positive things to say about him as a player during pre season. Dodds projected him to have 615 rushing yards, 5 TDs, 11 reception, 79 reception yards for 2011.
To cover bye weeks, I think he's a priority add. I'd rather him than Bernard Scott. I think he's a real talent. He reminds me a bit of Jones-Drew but without all the breakaway speed. He could literally seize the job. And I think he's going to. He's not really a plodder. Shonn Greene is maybe a better comparison.

Playing RB in the NFL isn't all about who is the fastest, strongest, or can gain the most yards. The real question is which one does Manning want back next year when he comes back to protect his neck. As such, I don't think Carter is going to be a bell cow RB, this year or next. Unless Manning doesn't come back.

Playing RB in the NFL isn't all about who is the fastest, strongest, or can gain the most yards. The real question is which one does Manning want back next year when he comes back to protect his neck. As such, I don't think Carter is going to be a bell cow RB, this year or next. Unless Manning doesn't come back.
That's next year. And we know Addai is coming back since he has a new contract. But for 2011, if Addai is out somebody has to be the goal line back, the in between tackle runner. They are not going to put it on Curtis Painter's shoulders. If Manning was playing then yes I can see that.

Wait, we're assuming Manning's coming back next year? :whistle:

I am in the middle. Of course I drafted him in two leagues then dropped him for help for byes this past week. Will probably try to pick him back up.

Funny thing is since I just dropped him I was hoping he wouldn't break out yesterday...mission accomplished. But now Im not so sure he is capable of that breakout?

I have been burned by Brown and am not a fan but I am not so sure he is going away after seeing him rotate in with Carter. Only upside for Carter is he should be the GL. Of course Brown should be on the bench so take that FWIW

Right now as an owner of Dallas Clark and Carter, I am rooting for them to sieze the #1 overall pick.

Right now as an owner of Dallas Clark and Carter, I am rooting for them to sieze the #1 overall pick.
That would make things VERY interesting.

Carter is not impressive at all. Cant imagine much upside with him.
No offense, but I think I'll also listen to what these guys have to say:
Colin Dowling - The Donald Brown era doesn't appear to have worked out very well. Joseph Addai is another year older and hasn't played a full season since 2006. While Addai will not doubt be leaned on as the veteran back in the Colts well-seasoned offense, I expect Carter to get a lot of the punishing carries in the offense to keep Addai healthy. Carter runs with a lot of power and should be a great fit between the tackles for Indianapolis, a place where they have had trouble running the ball in the past. Jeff Pasquino - Carter is RB52 on the list here as I write this -- and he may be ascending -- but the great news for Carter fans is that everyone is looking at the re-signing of Joseph Addai as a cap to Carter's value. I have always projected Addai for returning to the Colts, and frankly Carter is a better runner between the tackles. Look for a timeshare in the Indianapolis backfield and Carter to score 8+ touchdowns this year for an offense that desperately needs a back who can push the ball over the goal line. Chris Smith - I believe the best running back in Indianapolis right now may be rookie Delone Carter. He has great size and surprising quickness. Not lovely Joseph Addai, I believe as the season goes on, Carter may emerge as the go to back.

Colin Dowling - The Donald Brown era doesn't appear to have worked out very well. Joseph Addai is another year older and hasn't played a full season since 2006. While Addai will not doubt be leaned on as the veteran back in the Colts well-seasoned offense, I expect Carter to get a lot of the punishing carries in the offense to keep Addai healthy. Carter runs with a lot of power and should be a great fit between the tackles for Indianapolis, a place where they have had trouble running the ball in the past. Jeff Pasquino - Carter is RB52 on the list here as I write this -- and he may be ascending -- but the great news for Carter fans is that everyone is looking at the re-signing of Joseph Addai as a cap to Carter's value. I have always projected Addai for returning to the Colts, and frankly Carter is a better runner between the tackles. Look for a timeshare in the Indianapolis backfield and Carter to score 8+ touchdowns this year for an offense that desperately needs a back who can push the ball over the goal line. Chris Smith - I believe the best running back in Indianapolis right now may be rookie Delone Carter. He has great size and surprising quickness. Not lovely Joseph Addai, I believe as the season goes on, Carter may emerge as the go to back.
Those guys wrote that before we had seen Carter in real NFL games that count. Now we have. He has 41 carries and a 3.1 ypc. That doesn't mean he won't be good eventually, but it isn't a great start. If he had been playing well yesterday, Brown never would have gotten off the bench. He isn't an elite pick and doesn't have elite physical skill. So far he has looked pedestrian. 41 carries is not a large sample size, but it isn't insignificant either.

Colin Dowling - The Donald Brown era doesn't appear to have worked out very well. Joseph Addai is another year older and hasn't played a full season since 2006. While Addai will not doubt be leaned on as the veteran back in the Colts well-seasoned offense, I expect Carter to get a lot of the punishing carries in the offense to keep Addai healthy. Carter runs with a lot of power and should be a great fit between the tackles for Indianapolis, a place where they have had trouble running the ball in the past.

Jeff Pasquino - Carter is RB52 on the list here as I write this -- and he may be ascending -- but the great news for Carter fans is that everyone is looking at the re-signing of Joseph Addai as a cap to Carter's value. I have always projected Addai for returning to the Colts, and frankly Carter is a better runner between the tackles. Look for a timeshare in the Indianapolis backfield and Carter to score 8+ touchdowns this year for an offense that desperately needs a back who can push the ball over the goal line.

Chris Smith - I believe the best running back in Indianapolis right now may be rookie Delone Carter. He has great size and surprising quickness. Not lovely Joseph Addai, I believe as the season goes on, Carter may emerge as the go to back.
Why? I know as much about football as those guys

FWIW, here is the latest coach speak.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2011/10/10/not-much-comfort-for-colts-fans/

We don’t know yet if RB Joseph Addai is going to be out after injuring his right hamstring Sunday against Kansas City. But as if this season hasn’t been discouraging enough, Caldwell mentions Brown as an alternative, along with rookie RB Delone Carter.

“Depending upon what happens with Joe,” the coach said of Brown, the disappointing 2009 first-round selection, “his role could become a bit more intense these next couple weeks.”

I don't know what Caldwell said about Carter as it isn't reported here. I do take this to mean that there is going to be time share of some sort between Brown and Carter for at least the "next couple weeks."

Will the Indianapolis Colts Win a Game in 2011?

Excerpt:

Delone Carter is not getting the job done. He's not good at short yardage. He can't catch. He can't block. He's not ready to be playing. 12 carries for 22 yards and a dropped pass is awful. I realize that Don Brown's numbers are skewed by one big run, but take out the best run for all three backs yesterday and you still get Addai at 2.6 YPC, Brown at 3.1 YPC, and Carter at 1.5 YPC. Carter isn't good right now. He's not picking up the short yards, which means he's not good for anything. Don Brown needs to start while Addai heals up. He threw several excellent blocks. I wish Spann had stayed healthy. He can come back in week 8. I'd like to see him. Carter was way over-hyped by some in the national media who created unrealistic expectations of a Rookie of the Year caliber player. He's not at that level. Not even close.
:wall:

(frustrated Carter owner)

Instant Impressions: Week 5

Excerpt:

The Colts look like an early leader in the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes, going to 0-5 with a dispiriting defensive effort against the moribund Chiefs. Worse for fantasy owners, Joseph Addai proved that his reputation for fragility isn't all talk, as he injured a hamstring in the first quarter and didn't return. Expect the slow-healing Addai to miss more time. In his place, Indy split the work between Delone Carter and Disappearing Donald Brown, and you know what? Brown was actually the better player (eight carries for 38 yards, compared to 12 for 22 for Carter). However, it was clear that Carter will be the Colts' preferred option near an opponent's goal line, though I can't promise they'll get there often against the Bengals next week. This will almost certainly be a split, at least until one of the young rushers asserts himself.

i think Donald Brown is going to be the one to own for the next few weeks. Brown has been a huge disappointment so far, but if the carries are going to be split down the middle between Brown and Carter, Brown should get the 3rd down and reception work,making him more valuable in PPR leagues.

Colts | Joseph Addai does not expect to play Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:27:40 -0700 Indianapolis Colts RB Joseph Addai (hamstring) said he considers himself a long shot to play in Week 6 because of his hamstring injury.
Could be Carter's big moment, but hard to determine how the load will be split between him and Brown.

I don't understand why Brown's ability to catch is such a big deal when Addai can catch but wasn't exactly lighting it up with receptions.

Why? I know as much about football as those guys
I'm horrible at judging rookie RB talent and I picked Carter in our dynasty draft. You got that going for ya. Of course, I picked him based on opportunity, which went south with Manning's injury. Go Colts. Lose every game. Give my guy something to work with.

Nice production so far tonight, and considering that the Colts were being blown out quickly in this game, it is a good sign for those of us holding out hope for Carter.

Carter is also getting the red zone carries which helps (whenever the Colts can actually get into the red zone).

He did look good last night, although hard to tell how much stock the coaching staff put into it in a team thrashing.

As far as his fantasy arrow goes, the two wildcards seem to be Addai's hammy and whether the team starts looking ahead to 2012 to see what they have in Carter.

As owner of Dallas Clark, Carter and Brandon Marshall, I got to root for Indy as my top spot in the Luck sweepstakes.

What dynasty value do you place on Delone Carter with regards to draft picks in a 12 team league?
Not much at all. I would not be surprised if Indy is :thisclose: to a complete rebuild and they cannot/refuse to run consistently.
hmmm, I would think a rookie RB that has shown promise and is on a team that will give him opportunity, especially next year, has some quite a bit of dynasty value.

What dynasty value do you place on Delone Carter with regards to draft picks in a 12 team league?
Not much at all. I would not be surprised if Indy is :thisclose: to a complete rebuild and they cannot/refuse to run consistently.
hmmm, I would think a rookie RB that has shown promise and is on a team that will give him opportunity, especially next year, has some quite a bit of dynasty value.
Depends if you are buying or selling. A lot of people like having draft picks to get the shiny new toys and some don't value picks very much. A 2nd rounder for starters, either way.(I drafted him with pick #16 in May)

Depends if you are buying or selling. A lot of people like having draft picks to get the shiny new toys and some don't value picks very much. A 2nd rounder for starters, either way.(I drafted him with pick #16 in May)
I just sold him straight up (I'm competing for title, other guy is in rebuild mode now) for Steven Jackson.

NFL: Carter stepping up at RB for the Colts

By TOM JAMES CNHI News Service

INDIANAPOLIS —

Delone Carter has become more than just a short-yardage and goal line running back for the Indianapolis Colts.

Carter, a rookie, was a fourth-round draft choice by the Colts last April. Initially, he figured to battle veteran Donald Brown to be Indianapolis’ primary backup to starter Joseph Addai.

But late in his first training camp with the team, the former Syracuse standout slipped past Brown for the No. 2 running back role.

Carter, who is expected to start Sunday against Tennessee (1 p.m., LP Field, CBS) if Addai is unable to play due to hamstring issues, leads the team in rushing through seven games with 259 yards on 65 carries, has a 4.0-yard average, and has scored two touchdowns.

His success has come largely because he has proven to be just as adept at bouncing plays outside for large chunks of real estate as he is at powering his way between the tackles.

“He’s certainly getting a lot more familiar with playing in this league, and what it takes. He’s been able to put some pretty good runs together. Just in terms of his pass protection and those kinds of things, he’s been getting better each week,” Coach Jim Caldwell said.

“He’s been able to run it pretty well. He’s found seams and created some opportunities. (He’s) making guys miss with power and his natural God-given ability.”

It’s been Carter’s skill at learning the Colts’ pass blocking schemes — a must for any running back who expects to see much playing time in Indianapolis — that has impressed the coaching staff.

“He’s a lot more familiar, and a lot more comfortable in that realm,” Caldwell said.

“Sometimes those things aren’t necessarily quantifiable by the naked eye, but those of us who know what he’s supposed to be doing understand thoroughly. He’s getting better.”

Carter laughs when asked about his ability to break plays to the outside, a skill that allowed him to have runs of 42 and 28 yards in last week’s loss to New Orleans.

“I’ve got a little wiggle,” he smiled. “”If the defenses are surprised (that Carter is more than just a short yardage runner), that’s fine with me. I feel like it’s something that I want to build on every week. I feel like I just want my performance to improve as I go along.”

Caldwell likes his running style.

“He’s a guy who can find creases and seams. We also knew that he had good feet, good balance and could do some things for us as well,” he said.

“He’s one of those guys that will give you everything he’s got. He’s trying to create some opportunities out there, and trying to break every one that he possibly can. He does a good job of breaking tackles, and at this point in time he’s pretty strong along the sideline, which is a plus.”

Injury report

Not practicing Thursday were Addai (hamstring), OT Anthony Castonzo (ankle), OT Ryan Diem (ankle), DE Dwight Freeney (knee), P Pat McAfee (hamstring), DE Robert Mathis (non-injury, rest), DT Drake Nevis (low back), and OG Mike Pollak (hamstring).

LB Pat Angerer (knee) and OG Seth Olsen (hand) both saw limited work. LB Kavell Conner (knee), LB A.J. Edds (concussion), TE Brody Eldridge (knee), WR Anthony Gonzalez (groin), and TE Jacob Tamme (concussion) all fully practiced.

Indianapolis Colts - Delone Carter -RB

Oct 29, 2011 9:54 am EST

Delone Carter could still be the primary running back for the Colts this weekend even with Joseph Addai returning to practice Friday. "Addai (hamstring) may have a limited role this week against Tennessee. "It very easily could be that we're working (Delone Carter and Donald Brown)," head coach Jim Caldwell told CBSSports.com. "And Joseph is the third-down guy or an emergency guy."

I'd like to get on the bandwagon, but my concerns are that he still only got 10 carries last week, a new orleans team up 50 is probably not very stout against the run, and his previous 3 games he had 33 carries for 88 yards --- even montario hardesty does better than that.

I'll consult the play by play.......

1st drive 0-0

addai - 2 carries

painter fumbles ball away on 6th play

2nd drive 0-7

addai - catches 2 passes

4 and out inc. offensive holding

3rd drive 0-14

1st play - pass

2nd play - carter 23 yd run

3rd play - carter fumbles ball away at midfield on no gainer

4th drive 0-21

carter - 5 yd run

3 and out - sacked on 3rd

5th drive 0-28

d brown - 1 carry for no gain

3 and out

6th drive 0-31

carter - 42, 4

brown 8, 1

carter 2 yd td

colts building momentum heading to 2nd half 7-34

3rd quarter:

new orleans holds ball for 12 min stretching lead to 48-7

carter 7 yd run

colts 3 and out

brown 1 yd run

colts 3 and out

4th quarter:

new orleans stretches lead to 62-7 on td and painter P6 at 12:26

orlovsky in

colts run 11 play drive

carter - 2, 2

brown - 2

brown runs out final 2 min on 4 carries inc. 24 yarder

will tenn be any better........?

To me the guy looks very average and is a one dimensional back. If you are in a TD heavy league, he is worth owning. But I am just not sold on him being a long term talent.

I just sold him straight up (I'm competing for title, other guy is in rebuild mode now) for Steven Jackson.
Great trade for you!

2nd rounder if you're looking to sell (want out of the Indy RB situation, need the roster spot, don't like what you see from him). I can't see an owner giving up a 1st and Carter has shown enough to keep him around if the best offer is a 3rd. Unless the Colts draft a running back high or sign a free agent (which seems unlikely) he'll have a legit opportunity next year to be, at least, in a RBBC. I'm under the assumption that Peyton Manning will be back in 2012 and any RB getting touches in the Colts offense is worth keeping around, especially a young back that looks like a goal-line option.

The colts are so thin that unless he starts rushing for negative yardage they won't be spending a high pick on a rb next year. He's actually been somewhat decent considering how awful the line is. If he continues progressing he has a chance to be the lead back there for the next couple of seasons.

Great trade for you!
Thanks. We'll see but I thought it was pretty even. What I like about Carter is that he's a depth chart climber. He isn't getting carries by default, he's earned them.

Users who are viewing this thread