What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Demarco Murray (1 Viewer)

When Felix goes down (note the use of WHEN not IF) Murray will take over and show he can be an every down back in the NFL. Best hands of any RB I've ever seen. They are already talking about lining him up as a slot WR.

Why can't they co-exist? I don't see very many similiarities at all between Felix and Demarco, and I watch a lot of College FB. You guys are comparing all the tangible stuff like weight and speed, but I see too very different players here. Really the only thing Felix has on him is straight line speed, and I'd put good money towarsd it being closer than you think in full pads.

Austin and Dez on the outside. Witten at TE. Felix in the backfield and Demarco in the slot? Sounds juicy to me (and I hate the Cowboys with a passion). They can still motion him and get him involved in running plays, he can run routes like a WR, and did I mention he has extremely great hands? He's got steller vision, suprising power, and a nose for the end zone. He's the all time leading scorer at OU and there has been some pretty good ones pass through Norman.

Do not sleep on this guy thinking he will just be a backup. He will have a role in this offense.

P.S. There is absolutely zero bias in this opinion. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray was an early 2nd round pick, he is the primary backup to have as long as he stays healthy. Felix has never stayed healthy for an entire season so it wouldn't be surprising on my end to see Murray become the feature back at times this year.
murray wasn't a 2nd round pick smh

Murray is a terrific receiver. Not just good, outstanding. He's also very underrated as a runner. Murray reminds me somewhat of Matt Forte (who's one of the best all-around RBs in the NFL). Murray is more physical, though.

Murray will be a feature back in the NFL at some point.

Murray's talent is not the question. Its durability and opportunity. He was hurt a lot in college and missed much of camp with injuries. As for opportunity, obviously Felix is the starter. Felix did play all 16 games last year. How many touches become available if Felix stays healthy? Not a lot.

I like Murray a lot as a player and I also like him in the Cowboys offense. I just can't see a realistic scenerio where he is startable this year.

Much better stash for dynasty or keeper leagues obviously.

Murray was never the player he was supposed to be at OU. No reason to think he's more than an NFL back up. Hell, he'll have a lot of work to do just to stay ahead of the next draft class. Getting way too much love in here. Cowboy back up running backs always seem to get too much hype. :shrug:

Murray was never the player he was supposed to be at OU. No reason to think he's more than an NFL back up. Hell, he'll have a lot of work to do just to stay ahead of the next draft class. Getting way too much love in here. Cowboy back up running backs always seem to get too much hype. :shrug:
Can you elaborate? What was the player he was supposed to be at OU?

Was he supposed to be more than this?DeMarco Murray Oklahoma career records: All-Time Leader in Points Scored (390) All-Time Leader in Touchdowns (65) All-Time Leader in All Purpose Yards (6,718) All-Time Leader in Receiving Yards for a Running Back (1,571)

:rolleyes:

In 4 years. How many elite rb's play 4 years these days? He comes out as a junior except he spends part of the year hurt and in a time share. Logged 1000 twice out of 4. For a guy recruited to be the next AP he fell short. He went in the 3 rd round for a reason. And it took a very nice senior season to get him there. He's fast and can catch. Nice 3 rd down back.

:rolleyes:In 4 years. How many elite rb's play 4 years these days? He comes out as a junior except he spends part of the year hurt and in a time share. Logged 1000 twice out of 4. For a guy recruited to be the next AP he fell short. He went in the 3 rd round for a reason. And it took a very nice senior season to get him there. He's fast and can catch. Nice 3 rd down back.
It is not easy for anyone to be AP, but he had a better than average college career and has a game that can translate into a very effective all purpose rb in the nfl and not just a 3rd down back.

:rolleyes:In 4 years. How many elite rb's play 4 years these days? He comes out as a junior except he spends part of the year hurt and in a time share. Logged 1000 twice out of 4. For a guy recruited to be the next AP he fell short. He went in the 3 rd round for a reason. And it took a very nice senior season to get him there. He's fast and can catch. Nice 3 rd down back.
You may know some of these RB's playing in the NFL right now:I played all 4 years of college... I never had more than 684 yards rushing until my senior year.... I was an ok college pass catching RBSigned Chris Johnsonor-I played 4 years of college football, my total td total through 4 years of college football was 25 td's.... my senior year I had 570 yards rushing.... I started my NFL career on a practice roster.Signed Arian FosterorI played all 4 years of college football. I never had more than 859 yards rushing until my senior year.... and never caught more than 32 balls in a season in college.Signed Matt ForteI played 4 years of college football gaining 46 total td's and having only 43 career receptionssigned Michael Turner

I kept hearing so much about Demarco having durability issues and I took it for granted that he had issues staying on the field till I stumbled upon a list of the top RBs from this draft and this is what I discovered.

Plyer -------- Games - rsh - rec/yds - tds

Mark Ingram --- 39 - 3,261 - 60 - 870 - 46

Ryan Williams - 23 - 2,132 - 26 - 289 - 32

Mikel LeShoure- 33 - 2,557 - 37 - 430 - 28

Jaquizz Rodgers 26 - 3,877 -151 -1,056- 51

Delone Carter - 28 - 2,391 - 19 - 162 - 21

Taiwan Jones -- 31 - 2,955 - 64 - 903 - 36

Demarco Murray 50 - 3,685 -157 -1,571- 63

*More games than any of the other top RBs from this class

*Second most rushing yards of any of the top RBs from this class

*Most receptions of any of the top RBs from this class

*Most receiving yards of any of the top RBs of this class

*Most touchdowns of any of the top RBs of this class

You may know some of these RB's playing in the NFL right now:I played all 4 years of college... I never had more than 684 yards rushing until my senior year.... I was an ok college pass catching RBSigned Chris Johnsonor-I played 4 years of college football, my total td total through 4 years of college football was 25 td's.... my senior year I had 570 yards rushing.... I started my NFL career on a practice roster.Signed Arian FosterorI played all 4 years of college football. I never had more than 859 yards rushing until my senior year.... and never caught more than 32 balls in a season in college.Signed Matt ForteI played 4 years of college football gaining 46 total td's and having only 43 career receptionssigned Michael Turner
Lofl.....awesome. In 6 draft classes you found 3 mid conference players and a guy in Foster who went from borderline 1st round to undrafted by staying for year 4. All 4 clearly exceeded expectations. Odds are still on my side. Nice 3rd down back.

I kept hearing so much about Demarco having durability issues and I took it for granted that he had issues staying on the field till I stumbled upon a list of the top RBs from this draft and this is what I discovered.

Plyer -------- Games - rsh - rec/yds - tds

Mark Ingram --- 39 - 3,261 - 60 - 870 - 46

Ryan Williams - 23 - 2,132 - 26 - 289 - 32

Mikel LeShoure- 33 - 2,557 - 37 - 430 - 28

Jaquizz Rodgers 26 - 3,877 -151 -1,056- 51

Delone Carter - 28 - 2,391 - 19 - 162 - 21

Taiwan Jones -- 31 - 2,955 - 64 - 903 - 36

Demarco Murray 50 - 3,685 -157 -1,571- 63

*More games than any of the other top RBs from this class

*Second most rushing yards of any of the top RBs from this class

*Most receptions of any of the top RBs from this class

*Most receiving yards of any of the top RBs of this class

*Most touchdowns of any of the top RBs of this class
All this really highlights is that he needed a third more time to do basically as much.

How many career starts do you think Murray will have? 20? 60? More?

Being on the Dallas roster as a back up RB is like waiting in line to have gas poured on you and then waiting to be set on fire!!! Dallas can bring talent to them but then they are too chicken ###t to pull the trigger on giving them a big role!! At least New Orleans(who i cannot stand) has the balls to give Ingram a goon amount of touches (Detroit had the same plan till LaShoure got hurt)

I like Murray but I think that there is a better chance to see Tanner out there if Jones goes down. ( Jerry is weird, so I could see him doing something like that!!)

Lofl.....awesome. In 6 draft classes you found 3 mid conference players and a guy in Foster who went from borderline 1st round to undrafted by staying for year 4. All 4 clearly exceeded expectations. Odds are still on my side. Nice 3rd down back.
I did not go through all of the 6 draft classes, but simply searched up some of the RB's playing right now that have excelled at the NFL level by fitting the criteria of playing 4 college years.You can play the odds game all you want or you can evaluate a players measureables and his game and situation as you go forward. Your argument holds no water if you say he did not surpass AP's ability or finding fault in playing 4 years of college and being successful by doing so. AP is a once and a generation type of rb. There is no crime to not being AP. It does not mean that Murray is simply a 3rd down back because he is not AP or because he stayed in college for 4 years.The stats game can be a slippery slope. Murray can very well be a 3rd down back in the NFL. But it is way to early to label him as anything but that. He has not even played a down in the NFL and his measureables don't seem to fit the criteria of only a 3rd down back both on a physical level and through his collegiate stats.

Interesting tweets from Choice today. Being cut or traded anytime soon?http://twitter.com/#!/tchoice23
Interesting.Felix owner and I've been offered Murray for McCluster. Wanted to hang on to McCluster just b/c he provides depth at two positions on yahoo but I might just have to pull the trigger.

When Felix goes down (note the use of WHEN not IF) Murray will take over and show he can be an every down back in the NFL. Best hands of any RB I've ever seen. They are already talking about lining him up as a slot WR.Why can't they co-exist? I don't see very many similiarities at all between Felix and Demarco, and I watch a lot of College FB. You guys are comparing all the tangible stuff like weight and speed, but I see too very different players here. Really the only thing Felix has on him is straight line speed, and I'd put good money towarsd it being closer than you think in full pads.Austin and Dez on the outside. Witten at TE. Felix in the backfield and Demarco in the slot? Sounds juicy to me (and I hate the Cowboys with a passion). They can still motion him and get him involved in running plays, he can run routes like a WR, and did I mention he has extremely great hands? He's got steller vision, suprising power, and a nose for the end zone. He's the all time leading scorer at OU and there has been some pretty good ones pass through Norman.Do not sleep on this guy thinking he will just be a backup. He will have a role in this offense.P.S. There is absolutely zero bias in this opinion. ;)
:goodposting: I got ripped apart on the the "Is Felix Jones this year's Arian Foster" because of the lack of confidence I have in Felix becoming an every down back and that I was intrigued by DeMarco Murray, to say the least. I should have just came to this topic because you guys actually know what you are talking about.Felix is a spell back, that's his game. There is no evidence to prove otherwise. This was a big topic of conversation and here's the thread if you want to see..http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=609327&st=0&p=13519841&hl=+felix%20+jones%20+arian%20+foster&fromsearch=1entry13519841

:rolleyes:

In 4 years. How many elite rb's play 4 years these days? He comes out as a junior except he spends part of the year hurt and in a time share. Logged 1000 twice out of 4. For a guy recruited to be the next AP he fell short. He went in the 3 rd round for a reason. And it took a very nice senior season to get him there. He's fast and can catch. Nice 3 rd down back.
You may know some of these RB's playing in the NFL right now:I played all 4 years of college... I never had more than 684 yards rushing until my senior year.... I was an ok college pass catching RB

Signed Chris Johnson

or

-I played 4 years of college football, my total td total through 4 years of college football was 25 td's.... my senior year I had 570 yards rushing.... I started my NFL career on a practice roster.

Signed Arian Foster

or

I played all 4 years of college football. I never had more than 859 yards rushing until my senior year.... and never caught more than 32 balls in a season in college.

Signed Matt Forte

I played 4 years of college football gaining 46 total td's and having only 43 career receptions

signed Michael Turner
I did not go through all of the 6 draft classes, but simply searched up some of the RB's playing right now that have excelled at the NFL level by fitting the criteria of playing 4 college years.You can play the odds game all you want or you can evaluate a players measureables and his game and situation as you go forward. Your argument holds no water if you say he did not surpass AP's ability or finding fault in playing 4 years of college and being successful by doing so. AP is a once and a generation type of rb. There is no crime to not being AP. It does not mean that Murray is simply a 3rd down back because he is not AP or because he stayed in college for 4 years.

The stats game can be a slippery slope. Murray can very well be a 3rd down back in the NFL. But it is way to early to label him as anything but that. He has not even played a down in the NFL and his measureables don't seem to fit the criteria of only a 3rd down back both on a physical level and through his collegiate stats.
Stat's game can be slippery, but also insightful. Here's my analysis on Felix's workload over his college and NFL career comparatively to the other 2 RB's on his team at the time (McFadden/Hillis) and (Barber/Choice)..I had posted this in the Felix Jones forum and I guess people hated me for it but the facts are the facts, Felix is at his highest level of production as a spell back. His deceptiveness makes him an elite spell back. As a starter, he loses that deceptiveness because he has nobody to spell. Don't believe me? Look at the numbers, message me if you want the spreadsheet and then you will absolutely understand what I am talking about

here's my comment from the other thread, it almost got me burned at the stake..

I did exactly what you just described, in anticipation that the McFadden and Hillis thing would be brought up. What did I do? I took the stats of McFadde, Jones and Hillis for 2005-2007 & also the stats of Barber, Jones and Choice from 2008-2010. I just wanted to see how Felix fit in and subsequently performed based on his workload. I found some interesting stuff to be honest..I wish I could post the sheet. The following parameters

-Carries

-Yards

-YPC per player

-Combined YPC that year for all 3 players

-% of Felix's carries Total Carries

Anyway, here is what I found out. (Keep in mind, I only compared 3 RB's per year/team, there were obviously other players that had rushing attempts but those stats were ignored)

Between Felix's 3 years in Arkansas with McFadden & Hillis and the 3 years in Dallas with Barber & Choice, this is what Felix has done:

1) He has averaged over 6 YPC 4 of the 6 years and averaged 5.91 in one of the other 2.

2) He has had 150+ carries in 2 of those 6 years ('06 & '10)

3) If you look at total rushing attempts for each of the 3 players combined (McFadden/Jones/Hillis & Barber/Jones/Choice), Felix has had more than 30% of the team's total rushing attempts, only twice.

4) Let's take the years where he had less that 30% of the carries and see what he averaged per carry and compare it to his YPC when he had over 30% of the carries.

Below 30% of teams carries: 378/2739 or 7.25/YPC ('05,'07,'08,'09)

More than 30% of teams carries: 339/1968 or 5.81 YPC ('06,'10)

Obviously, the more carries any player gets, the less their YPC will be so this stat is still very impressive, until you look deeper....

Next, I looked at how effective each team/year were at running the football. Considering that Felix has such a high YPC, you would think that a higher % of the workload for Felix would increase the YPC for the team. I found out that actually, the opposite is true. The 2 years in which Felix had more than 30% of the rushing attempts, the team's YPC totals were lower. Not only were their YPC lower but also their total yards were significantly lower. The 2 most efficient years, for both Felix and his respective team were in 2007 & 2009, where he had 25.58% & 29.44% of the total carries between the 3 backs.

Felix's 'sweet spot' seems to be right in that 25-30% range of carries, with him getting between 120-150 carries/year. Obviously there are many outliers to this such as injuries etc but these are just the stats and I believe these numbers support the notion that Felix is not cut out to be a Feature Back, either in the NFL or when he was in college. I would also say that this justifies his role as a change of pace or spell back. But then again, wtf do I know?

Probably the most significant and disturbing (for the sake of this thread) thing I found was when I compared Felix's 2010 numbers, and the teams subsequent performance, to the rest of the years. Why is 2010 so special? Because this was the only year in which of the 3 RB's he was a part of, Felix had over 35% of the carries. Not only did he have over 35%, he was significantly over 35%--50.82% of the carries between him, Barber & Choice in 2010. So basically, Felix goes from having over 30% of the carries only once, and never more than than 35% and suddenly he eclipses 50% of the carries in 2010. Most would consider this a prime cut for a breakout year Hmmmmmmmm, I wonder what happened???

Remember what I mentioned before about what were each of Felix's team's best, most efficient years? Where they had the most yards and most ypc? Well, 2010 is not one of those years. In 2010, when Felix had 50% of the workload (I guess you could call this being a feature back), Barber/Jones/Choice totaled 1417 rushing yards and 3.89 YPC between the 3 of them (compared to 4.99 & 4.51 in '09 and '08 respectfully). Pathetic. Felix took 50% of the 364 carries (185 carries is the highest ever in his career by more than 20%). From those 185 carries, he totaled 800 rushing yards and whoa whoa whoa Felix Jones avg only 4.32 YPC in 2010??? In 2009, he averaged 5.91 YPC and this was the only other year where he fell BELOW 6 YPC! Granted college vs. NFL, but still, it seems that the more carries Felix gets, he becomes exponentially less efficient and so does the team.

I also did an analysis on the 3 RB's in regards to their receptions and it really isn't worth noting right now until someone challenges me.

OK, so now can we please agree on the fact that the situation that DeMarco Murray has in Dallas is nowhere near the situations for most of, if not ALL of the other backup RB's in the NFL?

I didn't look this up but if I could guess, DeMarco Murray might be the only #2 back in the NFL who is behind a #1 who has never had more than 200 carries in one year---both in college and the NFL...

I wonder if that is true???

Anyway, here's my other comment's on Felix. Sorry it is so long but I think it justified that he is not cut out to be a starting RB, but is an elite spell back.

Until last year, Marion Barber was the lead back in Dallas. Felix spelled him and when healthy, he excelled. As far as opportunity goes, IMO, Felix had that last year. It doesn't mean he doesn't deserve another opportunity this year. He led the Cowboys in carries and it was the first time he had led a team in carries in his entire NFL and college career. Not only had he never led his team in carries but he had always been the #2 back by a long shot. Excluding 2010 (which will be referred to as "his opportunity"), Felix never came within 85 carries of the lead back on his team, and was typically around 100 carries less than the lead back. Again, this problem goes beyond just Felix Jones and how many carries he gets. Without a lead back for him to spell, he looses his ability to play to his strengths. So for every carry that Felix Jones takes away from a non-existant lead back, he takes away his own ability to 'spell' that running back, and his deceptive running is compromised.

Having Felix Jones as a lead back, the Cowboys are wasting his talent as he is much more efficient and effective as a spell back-- something he has done his whole career. Having been given an opportunity to be lead back, he has proven to be mediocre in that role, if not worse. His track record as a spell back, however, is nothing short of brilliant. As a spell back, Felix Jones would be tops in the NFL. To put it in layman's terms, it's like asking your closer in baseball to leave the pen and join the rotation. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I will say that it would be ignorant to not expect growing pains and that none of them include any serious injuries. The difference between Felix Jones and some of the guys you mentioned above is that Felix is a true spell back. Most of those guys you mentioned were every down backs but had been behind other every down backs on the depth chart.

Wow, way too much free time.

So Murray homers, is he clearly a better handcuff to have vs a Harrison to Best? We know he is the guy even though Choice got some action last week?

Can you elaborate? What was the player he was supposed to be at OU?
every OK or OKSt RB is supposed to be the next Barry or ADP. It's a bit much and hard to believe, but you have to witness people saying different things to realize that's a common sentiment. They set a bar in Oklahoma that no one's going to reach

Brandon Jacobs averaged nearly 6 YPC almost 7 for a stretch there last year. Many third down RBs have had high averages over the years.

People can very easily get carried away with YPC.

I mentioned earlier how Murray has this awesome ability(in college) to grab a screen and react to either get low, get outside, or "punch it" at the defender. It was like he made the right choice every time. Over the years, Felix has squirmed out of some tackles and exploded.

Every RB is fast in the NFL. Neither Felix nor anyone else is usually special for being able to outrun defenders with his speed. (For example, Felix is merely pedestrian compared to CJ or Tiki when he was younger) YPC will give you that speed stat and make it look impressive. Broken tackles was a stat some tried on the web for a while, that almost worked. I'm unsure why that went away from being mainstream. You need to watch these backs do something with nothing. A good RB will create plays for himself. Felix has some burst that looks like a jump or turbo button on a video game. That'll make him a star, not running fast to the outside.

Personally I think he's a lazy runner and that the Boys lost the proper rushing mentality BP instilled. BP once said "you need to punch em' in the mouth and run away laughing." Yeah, not run to the outside right away or get stuck when you hit the hole. Put your helmet down and make it happen. Barber did that and got old quick. Maybe the OL did too. Running is far less pretty than Felix thinks it is. He needs to watch some tapes of Barry, Sweetness, Sayers, and Jim Brown.

Brandon Jacobs averaged nearly 6 YPC almost 7 for a stretch there last year. Many third down RBs have had high averages over the years.People can very easily get carried away with YPC.I mentioned earlier how Murray has this awesome ability(in college) to grab a screen and react to either get low, get outside, or "punch it" at the defender. It was like he made the right choice every time. Over the years, Felix has squirmed out of some tackles and exploded. Every RB is fast in the NFL. Neither Felix nor anyone else is usually special for being able to outrun defenders with his speed. (For example, Felix is merely pedestrian compared to CJ or Tiki when he was younger) YPC will give you that speed stat and make it look impressive. Broken tackles was a stat some tried on the web for a while, that almost worked. I'm unsure why that went away from being mainstream. You need to watch these backs do something with nothing. A good RB will create plays for himself. Felix has some burst that looks like a jump or turbo button on a video game. That'll make him a star, not running fast to the outside. Personally I think he's a lazy runner and that the Boys lost the proper rushing mentality BP instilled. BP once said "you need to punch em' in the mouth and run away laughing." Yeah, not run to the outside right away or get stuck when you hit the hole. Put your helmet down and make it happen. Barber did that and got old quick. Maybe the OL did too. Running is far less pretty than Felix thinks it is. He needs to watch some tapes of Barry, Sweetness, Sayers, and Jim Brown.
:goodposting: Last year, Felix carried the load for the Cowboys..poorly. You would think he would of had some long runs but with the most carries in his career, he had NO CARRIES OVER 35 YARDS and only ONE RECEPTION OVER 35 YARDS- a 71 yard TD against the Giants, it was one of his two TD's on the season. A season where he had the most touches of his career, both NFL and College.

Brandon Jacobs averaged nearly 6 YPC almost 7 for a stretch there last year. Many third down RBs have had high averages over the years.People can very easily get carried away with YPC.I mentioned earlier how Murray has this awesome ability(in college) to grab a screen and react to either get low, get outside, or "punch it" at the defender. It was like he made the right choice every time. Over the years, Felix has squirmed out of some tackles and exploded. Every RB is fast in the NFL. Neither Felix nor anyone else is usually special for being able to outrun defenders with his speed. (For example, Felix is merely pedestrian compared to CJ or Tiki when he was younger) YPC will give you that speed stat and make it look impressive. Broken tackles was a stat some tried on the web for a while, that almost worked. I'm unsure why that went away from being mainstream. You need to watch these backs do something with nothing. A good RB will create plays for himself. Felix has some burst that looks like a jump or turbo button on a video game. That'll make him a star, not running fast to the outside. Personally I think he's a lazy runner and that the Boys lost the proper rushing mentality BP instilled. BP once said "you need to punch em' in the mouth and run away laughing." Yeah, not run to the outside right away or get stuck when you hit the hole. Put your helmet down and make it happen. Barber did that and got old quick. Maybe the OL did too. Running is far less pretty than Felix thinks it is. He needs to watch some tapes of Barry, Sweetness, Sayers, and Jim Brown.
Oh, and DeMarco Murray is the best back in Dallas. Nice news on him from Rotoworld today.http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6585/demarco-murray :goodposting: Last year, Felix carried the load for the Cowboys..poorly. You would think he would of had some long runs but with the most carries in his career, he had NO CARRIES OVER 35 YARDS and only ONE RECEPTION OVER 35 YARDS- a 71 yard TD against the Giants, it was one of his two TD's on the season. A season where he had the most touches of his career, both NFL and College.

Was he supposed to be more than this?DeMarco Murray Oklahoma career records:

All-Time Leader in Points Scored (390)

All-Time Leader in Touchdowns (65)

All-Time Leader in All Purpose Yards (6,718)

All-Time Leader in Receiving Yards for a Running Back (1,571)
As was already stated, he did this by not only playing a solid role in 4 years, but also these are not rushing records. His 4.1 and 4.3 ypc his junior and senior seasons are not good numbers for college, especially on a team as good as OU during his span there (and look at that link, not exactly stout competition every week). Where he did well was was receiving. So that's great, but doesn't make him suited for the role of RB1 in the NFL. He'll be a great situational back, but I'm afraid he'll be nothing more than that. I know we all like to chase lightning here, but there is none to be found where Murray is concerned. I mean, if they end up in a situation where they have to feed him the ball 20+ times a game and he holds up then of course there is value, but his value will not be derived from talent or stats he accumulated for a top college program over four years.

especially on a team as good as OU during his span there (and look at that link, not exactly stout competition every week).
could you be more wrong?Find a player, any player, in college that played against more top teams than he did during that span.It's possible this has already been done in more than one article and I know the answer here, but feel free to search.

'Bri said:
especially on a team as good as OU during his span there (and look at that link, not exactly stout competition every week).
could you be more wrong?Find a player, any player, in college that played against more top teams than he did during that span.It's possible this has already been done in more than one article and I know the answer here, but feel free to search.
OU homers how was his line as far as run blocking for him. It seems to me that they had solid pass blocking but below average run blocking. Not a huge fan of Norman, so I'm not too sure.

Y'all are focused on all the wrong details. Here is what is important:

1. Felix is the best back on this team, but is fragile.

2. Murray is at least as talented as Choice, and the Cowboys spent a significant draft pick to get him (you draft backup running backs at the end of the draft, not where he was taken).

3. The Cowboys like Murray.

4. The Cowboys, regardless of his consistency, have never given Choice a meaningful opportunity and there's no reason to think that they will in the future. They won't even let this guy be their number 2.

All this stuff about his college stats, etc., is irrelevant.

Y'all are focused on all the wrong details. Here is what is important:1. Felix is the best back on this team, but is fragile.2. Murray is at least as talented as Choice, and the Cowboys spent a significant draft pick to get him (you draft backup running backs at the end of the draft, not where he was taken).3. The Cowboys like Murray.4. The Cowboys, regardless of his consistency, have never given Choice a meaningful opportunity and there's no reason to think that they will in the future. They won't even let this guy be their number 2.All this stuff about his college stats, etc., is irrelevant.
:goodposting:

Y'all are focused on all the wrong details. Here is what is important:1. Felix is the best back on this team, but is fragile.2. Murray is at least as talented as Choice, and the Cowboys spent a significant draft pick to get him (you draft backup running backs at the end of the draft, not where he was taken).3. The Cowboys like Murray.4. The Cowboys, regardless of his consistency, have never given Choice a meaningful opportunity and there's no reason to think that they will in the future. They won't even let this guy be their number 2.All this stuff about his college stats, etc., is irrelevant.
:goodposting: as a cowboys fan I have been a believer that choice has been the best RB on the team for the past 3 years.

'Bri said:
three would be Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, and Peyton Hillis. Mark Ingram would be another, Arian Foster, Knowshon Moreno, Anthony Dixon. Big 12 defenses do not stack up to SEC D's.

'Bri said:
:cry: Cry about something else. If that is the only thing you noticed then you are missing the point. His competition was not SEC caliber. It wasn't bad, but he should've done better against the lesser opponents than he did. Instead he put up pedestrian to slightly above average NFL ypc numbers on a team that was better than the teams he faced.

'Bri said:
three would be Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, and Peyton Hillis. Mark Ingram would be another, Arian Foster, Knowshon Moreno, Anthony Dixon. Big 12 defenses do not stack up to SEC D's.
I'm not jumping to solely defense. Sometimes in college ball it's about outscoring and we could have a long winded debate about that. "top teams" and "not exactly stout competition" was said.Dude played in a national championship game. Competition doesn't get better than that.People and computers in the BCS rate the schedules and competition through time tested programs. Granted Herman Matthews dying (and his system? so odd...'nother time) was significant in 2008 and would affect the numbers here, but there IS tangible data for folks to look up here.

'Bri said:
:cry: Cry about something else. If that is the only thing you noticed then you are missing the point. His competition was not SEC caliber. It wasn't bad, but he should've done better against the lesser opponents than he did. Instead he put up pedestrian to slightly above average NFL ypc numbers on a team that was better than the teams he faced.
Why should he have? Why is what he did not enough? Was Bradford supposed to throw for 1000 a game and Murray run for 500 a game? That team put a zillion players in the pros and many have done well-there's only one ball and they were often one of top teams. Not to mention Murray's big plays and how many of his TDs were the straw that broke the camel's back in games. Players that dominated weak competition are plentiful in college. 2000 schools makes that a very easy to achieve goal for a weak schedule maker with a few extra games to schedule. Those players don't necessarily go on to the NFL and in fact many don't make it. When Florida, OU, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, USC etc have a top team "everyone" shows up to their pro days to scout everyone they can. It's an event that's so extremely different than three scouts showing up to watch some Hofstra kid.Seems to me the Big 12 has placed plenty of awesome NFL talent recently. Not that the SEC hasn't, but to consider one conference such a stark contrast in talent is not reasonable and I avoid those debates. Both can have quality, it's just most loyal college fans can't admit that or don't want to.

'Bri said:
could you be more wrong?Find a player, any player, in college that played against more top teams than he did during that span.

It's possible this has already been done in more than one article and I know the answer here, but feel free to search.
OU homers how was his line as far as run blocking for him. It seems to me that they had solid pass blocking but below average run blocking. Not a huge fan of Norman, so I'm not too sure.
Yes. Makeshift OL the last 2 years. They are a much better run blocking unit this year.

I think Murray may well be the sneaky play this weak, especially with those who have the misfortune of having Wells, Jackson, Charles, Jones, etc. Miles Austin, will be limited, as will Dez ...and Romo may not be able to throw very deep if he even plays. Murray is certainly one of the better receiving RBs out there. If Kitna plays, I think it even more likely Murray does well, as coaches may be more inclined to let him pass block for Kitna, than risk a blown assignment and a crippling hit on Romo. At the moment, I have him starting ahead of Wells until I see Wells running on the sidelines in Seattle.

Murray is one of the best kept "secrets" in FF, IMO. Too many people judge him by his so-called "average" college career as well as being mislabeled as injury-prone. This cat can play. Terrific all-around talent who will make a nice feature back some day. No idea what will happen this season, but I believe Murray will eventually be a very good FF RB.

Murray is one of the best kept "secrets" in FF, IMO. Too many people judge him by his so-called "average" college career as well as being mislabeled as injury-prone. This cat can play. Terrific all-around talent who will make a nice feature back some day. No idea what will happen this season, but I believe Murray will eventually be a very good FF RB.
I don't think he's a secret at all, seems like everywhere I look there is someone touting him.

This thread is just one more reason to buy Matt Waldman's rookie scouting portfolio. For the low, low price of only $9.95 everything you guys want to know about Demarco can be had in an easy to read PDF file, not to mention in-depth scouting reports all the other skill position rookies.

RSP = :moneybag:

As far as this week goes, I imagine the workload gets split up 50/50 between Choice and Murray and in the meantime keep the 'skins guessing right up until gametime about Jones' availability.

I don't think he's a secret at all, seems like everywhere I look there is someone touting him.
no Cowboy ever flies under the radar - due to Jerry Jones . . .

no Cowboy ever flies under the radar - due to Jerry Jones . . .
I was literally about to post "I don't know, Phillip Tanner is pretty under the radar. ;) "But then I realized that during preseason, or after he made the team over Miller, Jones made Tanner sound like a HOF RB.You are so right!

i don't know if murray has what it takes to be a feature RB... but one thing to like about him, he has a very well rounded skill set...

his pass protection and receiving skills are handy in the passing game...

he might be a good safety valve option for a banged up romo (if he plays) looking to get the ball out of his hand in a hurry... austin is out, and bryant doesn't sound at full strength... they also might be looking to run more, to protect romo (or kitna)... if jones plays (as i think is expected), with his shoulder separation, they might want to mix in murray more liberally...

jones managed to stay healthier last year, but wasn't an iron man in his first few seasons... of course, the same could be said of murray in college... but opportunity is half the battle (he still has to do something with it), and that looks a lot more likely behind jones than a more proven resilient RB like peterson...

'Bri said:
Why should he have? Why is what he did not enough? Was Bradford supposed to throw for 1000 a game and Murray run for 500 a game? That team put a zillion players in the pros and many have done well-there's only one ball and they were often one of top teams. Not to mention Murray's big plays and how many of his TDs were the straw that broke the camel's back in games. Players that dominated weak competition are plentiful in college. 2000 schools makes that a very easy to achieve goal for a weak schedule maker with a few extra games to schedule. Those players don't necessarily go on to the NFL and in fact many don't make it. When Florida, OU, Texas, Michigan, Ohio St, Nebraska, USC etc have a top team "everyone" shows up to their pro days to scout everyone they can. It's an event that's so extremely different than three scouts showing up to watch some Hofstra kid.Seems to me the Big 12 has placed plenty of awesome NFL talent recently. Not that the SEC hasn't, but to consider one conference such a stark contrast in talent is not reasonable and I avoid those debates. Both can have quality, it's just most loyal college fans can't admit that or don't want to.
You see, I said absolutely nothing about totals. So I'm not sure why you chose to focus on game totals. Obviously there was a lot of talent and many guys could make things happen. All the more reason it should have made his job easier, yet on the carries he did get, he put up average numbers. I'm really not trying to knock the Big 12 at all. Just that in a short college season on a stacked team with crappy out of conference opponents and maybe 3 good conference opponents you should expect better than 4.1 and 4.3 ypc from a guy you are expecting to put up 4+ ypc in the NFL. As an A&M guy whose roommate is an OU fan, I've watched plenty of Murray's lackluster running. He'll be a fine third down back, but for those of you expecting him to capitalize when Felix inevitably gets hurt, look elsewhere.

'Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
It's RBbc in Dallas and it doesn't look like they'll be in the top half of the league in scoring rushong Tds so start any of them at your own risk.
Oh no! Not a RBBC! OH THE HUMANITY!That's great and all but we're talking about a guy a lot of people are looking at possibly filling the lowest flex spot or bye week fill in. It could start out as a full blown RBBC and the percentages could change in favor or Jerry's man crush. The point is by the time one player or another is a stud he'll be rostered by another team. Yeah sometimes lotto tickets don't pay off, but people need to take risks now while the picture is as clear as mud unless you play in a lot of 10 man or less leagues.

Users who are viewing this thread