What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Demaryius Thomas (1 Viewer)

:stalker: He certainly passes the eye test. Great routes, hands, and awareness and strength after the catch. It's tough to believe that the first WR taken in this year's draft was owned in fewer than 20% of fantasy leagues before his debut. I'm psyched that I spent a good chunk of FAAB dollars on him in one league but I'm beginning to regret that I didn't use my #1 waiver priority on him in another.

Chigurh said:
:shrug: He certainly passes the eye test. Great routes, hands, and awareness and strength after the catch. It's tough to believe that the first WR taken in this year's draft was owned in fewer than 20% of fantasy leagues before his debut. I'm psyched that I spent a good chunk of FAAB dollars on him in one league but I'm beginning to regret that I didn't use my #1 waiver priority on him in another.
I grabbed him Saturday in my main league thanks to this thread and I am gald that I did.

basher said:
here we go...looks like orton is in love with him

Was thinking the same thing. Lots to like. Some QBs just simply like big WRs. I think he will be the leading WR in Denver health permitting and will be taking a risk and starting him as a WR2 this weekend.

I think he is a big risk due to Denver's propensity to spread the ball around. The guy is a rookie and teams will have some tape on him soon. Maybe worth a bye week WR3 at this point IMO. Kid looks like a good catch in dynasty. His injury allowed me to grab him at 1.12 and I am definitely excited about his prospects.

I think he is a big risk due to Denver's propensity to spread the ball around. The guy is a rookie and teams will have some tape on him soon. Maybe worth a bye week WR3 at this point IMO. Kid looks like a good catch in dynasty. His injury allowed me to grab him at 1.12 and I am definitely excited about his prospects.
This brings up a good point. Does Denver REALLY like to spread the ball around? I hear it all the time, but if you look at last years numbers:2009 Bronco Receivers and Reception Totals

Brandon Marshall 101

Jabar Gaffney 54

Eddie Royal 37

Now, im not saying this kid is Brandon Marshall, but if he is anywhere close it may not be a stretch to see Orton lock on to him this year.

I am not sold on the whole "Orton spreads the ball around" line of thinking. I am pretty sure just last year Brandon Marshall broke a league record with 21 catches in one game with Orton as his QB. When Thomas was in the game the ball was not spread around very much, in fact he seemed to be the first option on almost every play, and besides how often do you get to pick up a guy with his measurables, on a solid pass first offense for virtually nothing. I guess I am saying that I also like his prospects in redrafts.

This brings up a good point. Does Denver REALLY like to spread the ball around? I hear it all the time, but if you look at last years numbers:2009 Bronco Receivers and Reception Totals

Brandon Marshall 101

Jabar Gaffney 54

Eddie Royal 37

Now, im not saying this kid is Brandon Marshall, but if he is anywhere close it may not be a stretch to see Orton lock on to him this year.
:lmao: Beat me to it....

With Moreno out this week what do you think DT's stat line looks like?I am thinking something like 6/100/1
I think those numbers are attainable IF he plays in every series. I'm not sure he's going to start but hopefully he's in there for most every play.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Moreno out this week what do you think DT's stat line looks like?I am thinking something like 6/100/1
Way Way too conservative.He is the real deal and its going to be a shootout on Sunday.I see 10-150-2I am starting him over Randy Moss.with Confidence!

:lmao:

The bidding on him this week should be a dog fight.
I GOT HIM!!!It took almost 1/4 of my free agent dollars, but I got him.

Make me proud, kid! :thumbup:
congrats... I backed off my bid after reading Waldman's gutcheck (dumbest thing ever!... especially when he said he was making his comments w/ out seeing the game! WTF!?)

I lowered my bid by about 25% and it ended up being the exact same as the winner. Tie goes to first submitted. :wall:

I'm a bit of a BB newb.... but I've seen The Price Is Right enough times to know not to let that happen. :no:

$1000 bb money

After losing out on Clayton, there was no way I was going to miss out on D thomas!! $526 later and I get to add him to my wr aresenal!! I then looked at the rest of the playes and added the next person that I would think would merit a lot of waiver money if someone got hurt. I picked up Mike Hart, I obviously won't be winning another top free agent so I had to guess the next one. What do you guys think?

I backed off my bid after reading Waldman's gutcheck
Waldman hates Thomas. He had him ranked outside the top 40 in his rookie rankings until the glowing reports out of Denver. Even then he only moved him up to the #25 rookie.
Waldman is usually money on judging RB's, but I don't value his opinion nearly as much at the other positions. And even with the RB's he has had his misses.

wdcrob said:
bonesman said:
I backed off my bid after reading Waldman's gutcheck
Waldman hates Thomas. He had him ranked outside the top 40 in his rookie rankings until the glowing reports out of Denver. Even then he only moved him up to the #25 rookie.
WTF is Waldman? Never let ONE person's opinion sway you. Feel out the majority opinion.Bay Bay owner.

DT has played one game, I don't think anyone is right or wrong on their judgment yet. I was surprised how low Waldman had ranked him though, but time will tell. At first glance he might have missed on this one. I was shocked on how well he performed the first game, however a larger sample size is needed before I crown him the next great WR.

Dropped 79% of my FA BB dollars on this kid in the FFPC Main Event. Hope he comes on strong in the playoff weeks when the big bucks are on the line. Excited to see how he does against the Colts when they will surely be down by multiple scores at some point.

8 catches on 22 plays. small sample size but thats so outrageously high that it has to mean something
Orton was well aware that he was on the field and surprisingly he didn't seem to be that bad of a route runner (that was supposed to be his big problem.Small sample size but good first impression.

Wow this kids debut was impressive to say the least. Orton sure looked his way a ton. Considering the colts will score alot and moreno is out and denver will surely be throwing 30-40 times, im seriously considerin playin DT over Forte in my flex.

Prowd Bay Bay owner. Picked him off WW with 8th pick behind Nate Washington & Manningham. 2nd go around picked up Clayton & released Naanee. Hope the 2nd one doesn't bite me in the butt because Naanee's up coming schedule looks really soft.

Wow this kids debut was impressive to say the least. Orton sure looked his way a ton. Considering the colts will score alot and moreno is out and denver will surely be throwing 30-40 times, im seriously considerin playin DT over Forte in my flex.
What, what, WHAT?~Kyle's Mom

WC: I don't hate Thomas. I just haven't liked his skills as an immediate impact player out of college as much as others. I don't like some things Thomas has said, but those things came way after I evaluated him in college and they never have a factor in how I watch a person play. Just be careful oversimplifying my point of view next time.

Neofight: While I admittedly have more misses at WR and RB as of late, I believe my track record of strong analysis of other positions is as good, and in many cases, better than my peers. Most scouts will tell you WR is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate. That said, an equally important mission for what I do is to provide information that is detailed enough for you to make your own decisions and factor out as much subjectivity as possible.

Hope Thomas busts out for you consistently (and earlier than I think will happen).

:goodposting:

M

Talent: Check

Situation: Check (okay, half a check)

Decent QB: Check

If I am going to take a risk on a rookie WR I like them to have all of the above as well as being fast and tall (check).

I like his chances at being at least a strong WR3.

He was pretty clearly a first round talent all along and while I don't think he should have been drafted ahead of Dez Bryant, he wasn't going to fall out of the top 30. He has the size, athletic ability, and skill to be a productive #1 target in the NFL. The only surprising thing is how quickly he has been able to make an impact. I wasn't expecting much of anything until next season.

WC: I don't hate Thomas. I just haven't liked his skills as an immediate impact player out of college as much as others. I don't like some things Thomas has said, but those things came way after I evaluated him in college and they never have a factor in how I watch a person play. Just be careful oversimplifying my point of view next time. Neofight: While I admittedly have more misses at WR and RB as of late, I believe my track record of strong analysis of other positions is as good, and in many cases, better than my peers. Most scouts will tell you WR is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate. That said, an equally important mission for what I do is to provide information that is detailed enough for you to make your own decisions and factor out as much subjectivity as possible. Hope Thomas busts out for you consistently (and earlier than I think will happen). :)M
Thanks Matt. I didn't mean that as a dig, just as my evaluation of your evaluating talents. Another way to say it is I agree more often with your RB analysis than I do with your WR analysis. The again, WR was my position.Personally I see a ton of natural ability in Thomas. I discount him a bit simply due to the fact that there were things beyond his control that negatively impacted him @ GT (offensive scheme and play calling), but I believe his intellect more than makes up for that. Add in the natural ability and, from all accounts in Denver, a positive attitude and good work ethic and I see huge upside for this kid. He is very impressive, as is Decker (who had a jaw dropping 43 on the Wonderlic). When all is said and done I believe the pundits will look back at this Denver draft and rate it highly, primarily because of the WR's

Also wasn't trying to dig.

But I don't see how you can say a guy isn't in the top 40 skill position player in his rookie draft class and not be really, truly down on him. You currently have him as the 14th ranked rookie WR (after not ranking him at all previously). How much more could you dislike someone?

But I don't see how you can say a guy isn't in the top 40 skill position player in his rookie draft class and not be really, truly down on him. You currently have him as the 14th ranked rookie WR (after not ranking him at all previously). How much more could you dislike someone?
:lmao:

WC: I don't hate Thomas. I just haven't liked his skills as an immediate impact player out of college as much as others. I don't like some things Thomas has said, but those things came way after I evaluated him in college and they never have a factor in how I watch a person play. Just be careful oversimplifying my point of view next time.

Neofight: While I admittedly have more misses at WR and RB as of late, I believe my track record of strong analysis of other positions is as good, and in many cases, better than my peers. Most scouts will tell you WR is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate. That said, an equally important mission for what I do is to provide information that is detailed enough for you to make your own decisions and factor out as much subjectivity as possible.

Hope Thomas busts out for you consistently (and earlier than I think will happen).

:(

M
Love your work. Just curious on the bold section.

am starting him over Randy Moss.
He is replacing Hakeem Nicks in the lineup this week. I am thinking (hoping) that he will get Brandon Marshall type love (targets) whereas Ncks seems to be a home run hitter who depends upon tds more to get his "stud" status. In a ppr league I am thinking DT has a higher floor and an equally high ceiling as Nicks.

:)

M
When drafted, he was asked why did he think he was better than Dez Bryant and his response was

"Well, I don't know, I can't say. I know I'm a better person than Dez - that's how I feel. I feel like I'm a better receiver too - bigger, faster - I don't know."

Link

It's immaturity talking, but I didn't like it. I'd just like to see him play the game and compete with himself.

:)

M
When drafted, he was asked why did he think he was better than Dez Bryant and his response was

"Well, I don't know, I can't say. I know I'm a better person than Dez - that's how I feel. I feel like I'm a better receiver too - bigger, faster - I don't know."

Link

It's immaturity talking, but I didn't like it. I'd just like to see him play the game and compete with himself.
:) There is nothing in that response that shows immaturity.

He was caught off guard by a reporters question and basically answered in a pretty hunble way.

WC: I don't hate Thomas. I just haven't liked his skills as an immediate impact player out of college as much as others. I don't like some things Thomas has said, but those things came way after I evaluated him in college and they never have a factor in how I watch a person play. Just be careful oversimplifying my point of view next time. Neofight: While I admittedly have more misses at WR and RB as of late, I believe my track record of strong analysis of other positions is as good, and in many cases, better than my peers. Most scouts will tell you WR is one of the most difficult positions to evaluate. That said, an equally important mission for what I do is to provide information that is detailed enough for you to make your own decisions and factor out as much subjectivity as possible. Hope Thomas busts out for you consistently (and earlier than I think will happen). :)M
Thanks Matt. I didn't mean that as a dig, just as my evaluation of your evaluating talents. Another way to say it is I agree more often with your RB analysis than I do with your WR analysis. The again, WR was my position.Personally I see a ton of natural ability in Thomas. I discount him a bit simply due to the fact that there were things beyond his control that negatively impacted him @ GT (offensive scheme and play calling), but I believe his intellect more than makes up for that. Add in the natural ability and, from all accounts in Denver, a positive attitude and good work ethic and I see huge upside for this kid. He is very impressive, as is Decker (who had a jaw dropping 43 on the Wonderlic). When all is said and done I believe the pundits will look back at this Denver draft and rate it highly, primarily because of the WR's
Appreciate the response and I'd agree that my WR and TE evals are the worst of the four when it comes to my rate of accuracy talking about their development but I think that's probably par for the course with this stuff. Easier to evaluate a player that gets 3-4 times per opportunities per game than a WR or TE. I've viewed Thomas more as a Plaxico Burress type of talent than a Calvin Johnson type - slower to develop. As you know I'm a big Decker fan, too.

I've viewed Thomas more as a Plaxico Burress type of talent than a Calvin Johnson type - slower to develop. As you know I'm a big Decker fan, too.
No offense but a "Plaxico Burress type" is ranked #14 in your rookie rankings?What does it take to be ranked in the top 5? Born of a virgin named Mary or something?Way off, imo.

Link

Man, that's a pretty good answer. Actually, that's about the same exact way that I would have answered that question.Guess I am immature as well. :mellow:

I think I'm just more sensitive to the word "hate." I didn't hate Darren McFadden - I simply didn't like him to make an instant impact like many thought and that his chances of developing into a strong, all-around NFL player were riskier than others in his class.

Of course I've been down on Thomas as a potential impact receiver out of the gate. I simply didn't think he came from a sophisticated enough offense to do much more than run screen passes and deeper perimeter routes with success and I'm still skeptical after one game. I thought Decker had a better chance to produce.

My rookie rankings are based on impact this year, not long-term production, although admittedly my long-term view of Thomas that is reflected in the 2010 RSP isn't much higher (11th).

We'll see how it works out moving forward.

Appreciate the comments though. It helps clear the air.

I've viewed Thomas more as a Plaxico Burress type of talent than a Calvin Johnson type - slower to develop. As you know I'm a big Decker fan, too.
No offense but a "Plaxico Burress type" is ranked #14 in your rookie rankings?What does it take to be ranked in the top 5? Born of a virgin named Mary or something?Way off, imo.
Yep, it does. Wide receivers have to have an immaculate conception to make my top five. They also have to walk across a bed of coals in bare feet and sleep on a bed of nails. :)Burress had a grand total of 23 receptions for 273 yards and 0 scores as a rookie. Not a good rookie year statistically and it often looked worse on the field than it did in the box score. Obviously he did have 1000 and then 1300 after wards, but in the scheme of what I saw and the work that I did, he appeared to be a more risky player than several others and my assessment was that if he develops I think he's more of a bigger slower guy than people projected. You might be right that my view of Thomas could be way off. But after one game of what appeared to be go routes and screen passes, five games from now the shoe could be on the other foot.I've been around this board and others for years and every year I see posts where folks react to one game and are ready to jump off a cliff for a player or throw him off the cliff only to wish they didn't react so hastily.

I think I'm just more sensitive to the word "hate." I didn't hate Darren McFadden - I simply didn't like him to make an instant impact like many thought and that his chances of developing into a strong, all-around NFL player were riskier than others in his class.

Of course I've been down on Thomas as a potential impact receiver out of the gate. I simply didn't think he came from a sophisticated enough offense to do much more than run screen passes and deeper perimeter routes with success and I'm still skeptical after one game. I thought Decker had a better chance to produce.

My rookie rankings are based on impact this year, not long-term production, although admittedly my long-term view of Thomas that is reflected in the 2010 RSP isn't much higher (11th).

We'll see how it works out moving forward.

Appreciate the comments though. It helps clear the air.
Interesting.

I think of rookie rankings as (pretty much) dynasty-oriented.

Users who are viewing this thread