What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desmond Bishop (3 Viewers)

Bishop's no worldbeater in coverage, but he graded out better per PFF in that regard in 2011 than Henderson did last year. FWIW.
people keep quoting 2011, that was before a serious injury. Just saying its not a given he'll be a 3 downer and Erin will be coming off the field.

Bishop's no worldbeater in coverage, but he graded out better per PFF in that regard in 2011 than Henderson did last year. FWIW.
people keep quoting 2011, that was before a serious injury. Just saying its not a given he'll be a 3 downer and Erin will be coming off the field.
I agree it's not set in stone, but if Bishop's as healthy as he says he is Henderson's likely the odd man out.

KellysHeroes said:
Kilroy1872 said:
:goodposting: If you missed the window to trade Bishop post injury and pre IR last year now is the time to move him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/25/desmond-bishop-will-open-camp-on-the-outside-for-vikings/

When the Vikings signed linebacker Desmond Bishop, it was widely assumed he’d battle with Erin Henderson for the middle linbacker position. Bishop then told PFT Live that he could play outside or inside.

On Thursday, coach Leslie Frazier told reporters that Bishop will begin on the outside.

According to Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Frazier explained that the Vikings like Bishop’s blitzing skills.

If he wins the job, it’ll likely be Chad Greenway on the weak side, Bishop on the strong side, and Henderson in the middle.

Bishop was cut by the Packers late in the offseason program, after suffering a preseason hamstring tear in 2012. He missed all of the season.

What would this potentially do for Bishop's value? I'd imagine it would take a bit of a hit - no?

Minnesota Vikings LB Desmond Bishop is likely to start at outside linebacker in 2013. Head coach Leslie Frazier said the team likes his blitzing skills from that position.

Footballguys view: This is devastating for his IDP value, but terrific news for anyone who owns Erin Henderson. Bishop is probably no greater than an LB3/LB4 this year, and maybe not even that. Don't overdraft him on name value.
Yikes

I have a hard time believing that they would move Greenway to weak side. If they do, it could be a positive for him, and it would not necessarily be bad for Bishop to land on the strong side in this scheme either. Greenway has been making hay from that spot for a long time.

That said, I don't believe Bishop is a strong side backer. So until I see him line up somewhere besides middle or weak side, I'm not buying it. In the end it all comes down to who gets the sub package snaps anyway. I will be surprised if a healthy Bishop is not that guy. Can't wait to see if he passes the eyeball test.

Does anyone have info regarding his situation now that they have played on pre-season game? Is he playing on nickel or it's Henderson/Greenway there?

Bishop recorded 9 solos in preseason game #3. I didn't watch the game but anybody with thoughts on what this does for his value this year? Still holding out hope for MLB?

Bishop recorded 9 solos in preseason game #3. I didn't watch the game but anybody with thoughts on what this does for his value this year? Still holding out hope for MLB?
Henderson, Greenway & Mitchell were the starters last night

Bishop played more snaps than Mitchell but I suppose against the Niners 2nd unit

Observation deck: Vikings-49ers

As promised, Desmond Bishop got plenty of work, playing with the Vikings' first-team defense in the first half and remaining in the game with the No. 2 defense in the second half. He gave up a catch to Moore when Kaepernick stepped out of the pocket and drew Bishop toward the line of scrimmage, but Bishop stopped Kendall Hunter for a loss and made a nice open-field tackle of D.J. Harper in the fourth quarter. Though he's still struggling somewhat in pass coverage, Bishop can help the Vikings' run defense, and he looked more assertive Sunday than he did against Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx Buzz. I drafted him as my LB5 yesterday in a 14 team league. He was so good to me in the past, and I still maintain he's a pretty instinctive ILB. I do worry about the injuries affecting his pass coverage (and overall game), but 9 solo's and first-team defense work is enough for me to take a late flyer on him.

frazier stated bishop not starter to begin the season...

saw this at espn (they have separate sections for all 32 teams)...

not to say he couldn't emerge later, but not the result owner's were hoping for coming out of the preseason...

Last edited by a moderator:
frazier stated bishop not starter to begin the season...

saw this at espn (they have separate sections for all 32 teams)...

not to say he couldn't emerge later, but not the result owner's were hoping for coming out of the preseason...
Henderson was some great value this yr so far

not to mention Marvin Mitchell posted a solid goose egg in week #1. You have to think that Bishop isn't completely healed but when he is he is better than either of the 2 starting options now by a long shot.

Erin Henderson has been graded by PFF "2nd worst ILB of the week" behind Kelvin Sheppard
yeah , to borrow from pff.............

Similarly Erin Henderson was consistently manhandled in the run game and there should be serious questions as to whether he can handle the transition to middle linebacker. The position is especially difficult in the Viking’s scheme because they predominantly run cover 2 and thus ask their Mike backer to position himself deeper at the snap. Henderson (-4.3) had particular trouble with Warford when he came to meet him at the second level.

Both players [+Greenway] also graded below average in coverage. Their combined stat line reads seven targets, nine receptions, 164 yards and a touchdown. To be fair much of that came from Reggie Bush’s 77 TD on a screen in which Greenway happened to be in coverage, but aside from that they combined to give up four first downs. Henderson was also crucially taken out on the aforementioned screen.

What is funny (sad funny) is that Henderson is in the Middle not because of what he CAN do, but because of what he CANNOT do. Henderson has a lot of trouble shedding blocks, so they thought he would be most effective in the Middle compared to how he would fare on the edges. So, it's not as if he has earned teh spot with his linebacking ability... instead he is there because he isn't good enough to stay outside. Poor coaching decisions being made.

Henderson not being a stud in his first game as MLB doesn't change the fact that Bishop can't beat out Mitchell. Stick a fork in Bishop.

Any updates on Bishop? I thought he'd be plug and play as a 3-down MLB. Is he still hurt? Is he a shell of his former self post-injury?

Cardinals signed ILB Desmond Bishop, formerly of the Vikings.
He's their latest inside linebacker flier after Ernie Sims predictably didn't pan out. Bishop, 30, is several years removed from his prime, but is a more natural fit at ILB in Arizona's 3-4 than Sims ever possibly could have been. Aug 14 - 11:01 AM
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Cardinals signed ILB Desmond Bishop, formerly of the Vikings.

He's their latest inside linebacker flier after Ernie Sims predictably didn't pan out. Bishop, 30, is several years removed from his prime, but is a more natural fit at ILB in Arizona's 3-4 than Sims ever possibly could have been. Aug 14 - 11:01 AM

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
took a chance on him in two of my deep dynasty leagues where I am thin at LB

With all the ILB injuries, and no signing ... Is he done?

He has had a number of tryouts over the past couple weeks with nothing to show for it. I figure if he had anything left in the tank he would have been signed.

...and he's back in Arizona.

Wondering if it's time to cut bait on Minter. It's a DEEP dyno, he's way down my depth chart, and waivers are a wasteland but this seems like it'll never pan out; at least this year anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread