What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Detroit SS (1 Viewer)

Dave Larkin

In the recent IDP podcast, the guys talked about the Detroit SS position and how it would quite possibly be one of the most valuable IDP positions in football in 2009. My question is simple - who do you think will end up with the job?

I was surprised that Bullocks hadn't run away with the job given the competition, but it's now clear why that didn't happen. Right now, we're looking at a competition of Marquand Manuel, Kalvin Pearson, Stuart Schweigert and Calvin Lowry. That's a who's who of guys who couldn't get it done in places where there was little competition on bad defenses in recent seasons. It's looking more and more unlikely that Anthony Henry will be moved to safety, but that may yet happen I guess.

I'd make the slight favorite Marquand Manuel, but he's been missing time with an injury in camp, too. And, while I think the SS position is the better tackling position in this scheme, I'm with bcr8f. Delmas is looking more and more likely the player to benefit from the mess of a secondary the Lions have.

Pearson has gotten the most first team reps in camp and probably is the early leader for the job. That being said, he is only 5'10" 190 pounds and that is very small for a strong safety. My guess is the Lions are praying that someone else wins the job. Manuel could win the job. Also, the Lions signed Calvin Lowry. He is not the best player around, but he has started before and also played for Schwartz in Tennessee. There is also a chance the starter is a player not currently on the roster.

It's important to pay attention to any Bullocks information. He seems to clearly be the most talented candidate. My personal opinion (assuming Bullocks is not healthy) is Pearson starts because he is better in coverage than the other candidates. But it really is a total crapshoot at this point.

I also agree with the opinions about Delmas. Prior to being hurt, he was the star of camp.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I agree with the sentiment here - that Lions SS battle is a bit of a mess right now. I didn't even realise they had signed Calvin Lowry. Another name to add to the pot! :confused:

Hey guys, what's the story with Delmas, maybe some Lions' fans can chime in. Is he a piece of the puzzle that's going to have the Lions headed in the right direction this year (more wins than last season)? :goodposting:

And for fantasy football purposes, is he a solid DB2. or should I be scouring free agency for someone else to start week 1 (alongside Roman Harper)? Do the Lions have him more as a tackler on pass protection schemes, or is he going to be rushing the line and blitzing?

Looking forward to some thoughts on this guy... Thanks.

I forgot to add that Pollard is currently scheduled to make only about $600,000 for this year. So, he would be a pretty inexpensive option for the Lions or someone else to claim off waivers. Surprising that no team was willing to give up a 7th round pick for him though.

I forgot to add that Pollard is currently scheduled to make only about $600,000 for this year. So, he would be a pretty inexpensive option for the Lions or someone else to claim off waivers. Surprising that no team was willing to give up a 7th round pick for him though.
With that low of a salary, if the Lions were going to claim him, they probably already would have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, what's the story with Delmas, maybe some Lions' fans can chime in. Is he a piece of the puzzle that's going to have the Lions headed in the right direction this year (more wins than last season)? :)And for fantasy football purposes, is he a solid DB2. or should I be scouring free agency for someone else to start week 1 (alongside Roman Harper)? Do the Lions have him more as a tackler on pass protection schemes, or is he going to be rushing the line and blitzing?Looking forward to some thoughts on this guy... Thanks.
Most of the reports are saying that he is a very vocal emotional player that brings it every play. I have noticed in the preseason games that at times he over pursues and has missed some tackles due to his aggressiveness. The lions are expecting big things from him this year and there maybe some unrealistic expectations being placed on the shoulders of this rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread