What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dielman to the Hawks? (1 Viewer)

MG345

Footballguy
Red carpet for Dielman

PermalinkPosted by Mike Sando @ 09:55:43 am

The San Diego Union-Tribune notes today that Chargers LG Kris Dielman was boarding a private plane for Seattle. My understanding is that the Seahawks sent a couple of coaches down there to pick him up and then accompany him on a flight back to Seattle for a visit. That type of treatment is generally reserved for players a team intends to sign, but the evidence is purely circumstantial at this point. Stay tuned.

http://blogs.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/

It would make Shaun Alexander's value increase IMO. The offense is general would look better. Gotta build from the inside out, that means OL and DL play 1st and foremost. You can have fancy WR, RB, and QBs but if the 5 big fat uglies upfront can't block...forget it, you're not going anywhere.

Members: bicycle_seat_sniffer, MG345, A.J. Smith, schaef2k, Imedos, garyd, DanFouts, Warpig, jetpack

AJ, what are your sources saying here???

Yeah, Seattle learned a hard lesson about how important the lines are, last year. Hopefully the try to remedy the situation. Rumors are saying they are prepared to pay him more than what they were going to pay Hutch.

Love the idea of a Sims/Dielman combo. Steve who?

With the holes they can open, these guys could lead SA to another top 3-5 season easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this happens:

Jones, Dielman, Spencer, Sims, Locklear.

IMO that line is on par with Seattle's 2005 line, minus chemistry obviously.

I think that actually would be the largest line Seattle has sported in a long time.

I doubt they would, just from the simple fact that they have more pressing needs. They like Locklear at RT, tendered him at a 1st round pick. They also brought in Tom Ashworth last year, and he looks to be the primary backup for Locklear.

They do have the cap room to do it, but with other pressing needs (DT, DE, TE, DB) I don't see it happening.

IF they don't get Dielman, they will make a push for Steinback if he is still available.

P. Kerney is the next scheduled FA to come in, Ruskell has mentioned he wanted to improve the pass rush. Gotta look at the Ruskell-ATL connection, so it seems to make sense.

P. Kerney is the next scheduled FA to come in, Ruskell has mentioned he wanted to improve the pass rush. Gotta look at the Ruskell-ATL connection, so it seems to make sense.
Ruskell-ATL connection....more so the Mora Jr.-ATL connection in this instance?

Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please

Could they sign Dielman at LG AND Steinbach to play RT? Or is that a longshot cap wise?
Steinbach to the Browns.
It's official...thast news to me
From Bengals.com:

Steinbach busy

By GEOFF HOBSON

March 2, 2007

Posted: 10:25 a.m.

Steinbach

Eric Steinbach already has three visits lined up in free agency according to various published reports and one of the teams is eying him as a left tackle.

Steinbach, the Bengals Pro Bowl alternate left guard is visiting Cleveland Friday on the first day of free agency and Tampa Bay Saturday, according to reports from The Cleveland Plain-Dealer and PewterReport.com, respectively. He’s also headed to Seattle after the Bucs talk to him about playing left tackle.

Mora has no say in who Seattle brings in, so that isn't the connection I would make.
You don't think of one the the coaches has any say on his former team that he just coached? You don't think Ruskell asked Mora about Kerney?The Kerney-Mora Jr. connection is more important in this case cause Seattle may seem more appealing if Kerney's former coach, whom he liked, is on the staff.

Mora has no say in who Seattle brings in, so that isn't the connection I would make.
You don't think of one the the coaches has any say on his former team that he just coached? You don't think Ruskell asked Mora about Kerney?The Kerney-Mora Jr. connection is more important in this case cause Seattle may seem more appealing if Kerney's former coach, whom he liked, is on the staff.
For the most part, no I don't think Mora Jr., who is being asked to coach the secondary, is the main drive here. Ruskell, who served as assistant GM in ATL, I am sure asked Mora about Kerney, but already has his opinion made up. So while yes, Mora being there might help Kerney come in, it would be Ruskell initiating it is what I meant.

Could they sign Dielman at LG AND Steinbach to play RT? Or is that a longshot cap wise?
Steinbach to the Browns.
:link: As far as I know, there is nothing to support this besides a rumor in the Browns-Steinbach thread regarding $7M/year.

So I think my original question is still relevant.
I answered it....http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...t&p=6416571
:thumbup: I overlooked that one....

Let's go Hawks, sign Dielman!!

Rumors are saying they are prepared to pay him more than what they were going to pay Hutch.
What were they prepared to offer Hutch? Anything close to what he got from the Vikings?Dielman is going to get a huge contract. I sure wish the Chargers had extended him before last season.

this is how the lions do business these days with martz-marinellieveryone they bring in has been coached by one of the two.

Rumors are saying they are prepared to pay him more than what they were going to pay Hutch.
What were they prepared to offer Hutch? Anything close to what he got from the Vikings?Dielman is going to get a huge contract. I sure wish the Chargers had extended him before last season.
Yes, they were prepared to match the offer by the Vikings, even restructed Walter Jones' contract to make it work. The "figures" being thrown around are in the neighborhood of $6.5 million a year, but are flexible due to the demand that Dielman will likely find.

Maurile Tremblay said:
MG345 said:
ain't that the truth. i'm not sure letting him walk is a mistake considering the payday he's going to get, but not upping the ante last spring/summer on his offer was certainly a mistake.

Shick! said:
Oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please oh please
:crazy:

Early word out of Seattle: Dielman could be a hawk by this weekend. No link, just word on the ground. Dielman wants Hutch type money, Seattle is willing to pay it. Could be a perfect match for the two.

Dielman would be huge for this offense. Then if they could just sign a TE. Stevens IMO would be the best because he is so talented and has experience in the offense, but Graham would be good too.

I know its a real long shot but I would love for them to sign Clements. Probably not gonna happen since hes not even scheduled for a visit. Kerney is a good player I know and is visiting, but anyone know about his injury history and if hes supposed to be 100 percent soon?

Chargers | Dielman remaining in Seattle

Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:37:54 -0800

Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers spoke with the agent for free agent OG Kris Dielman Friday, March 2, however Dielman remained in Seattle overnight and negotiations between his agent and the Seattle Seahawks will continue Saturday, March 3.

Clare Farnsworth mentioned today that Dielman was having dinner last night with Walter Jones and Matt Hasselbeck, and was scheduled to tour the practice facility today before having lunch with Mike Holmgren.

Chargers | Dielman remaining in SeattleSat, 3 Mar 2007 06:37:54 -0800Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers spoke with the agent for free agent OG Kris Dielman Friday, March 2, however Dielman remained in Seattle overnight and negotiations between his agent and the Seattle Seahawks will continue Saturday, March 3.
Sure sounds like a done deal. Christmas comes early for Shick! and the rest of the Seahawks Nation.

Pretty amazing that only four years ago this guy was an undrafted FA defensive tackle from a not-highly regarded college program.

I don't know much about Dielman, so can a Charger homer or someone enlighten me about his strengths/weaknesses and if he is worth mucho dineiro.

fridayfrenzy said:
I don't know much about Dielman, so can a Charger homer or someone enlighten me about his strengths/weaknesses and if he is worth mucho dineiro.
bottom line - a mauler in the run game, very good in space.

Ministry of Pain said:
fridayfrenzy said:
Chargers | Dielman remaining in SeattleSat, 3 Mar 2007 06:37:54 -0800Kevin Acee, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports the San Diego Chargers spoke with the agent for free agent OG Kris Dielman Friday, March 2, however Dielman remained in Seattle overnight and negotiations between his agent and the Seattle Seahawks will continue Saturday, March 3.
Sure sounds like a done deal. Christmas comes early for Shick! and the rest of the Seahawks Nation.
Fingers crossed..........god I hope this happens!! :goodposting:

fridayfrenzy said:
bottom line - a mauler in the run game, very good in space.
Yes, he's a beast. Very strong in his run-blocking. Aggressive, has a very god initial pop and then sustains his blocks. Plays with leverage. Most of Tomlinson's TD runs this year came over the left side of the line running behind Dielman and McNeil. Also gets the job done as a pass blocker -- I don't think he gave up a sack all year.He also works very hard, showed a lot of improvement this past year, and is still young. So while he played at a Pro Bowl level last year (but didn't get an invitation -- too many Chargers already?), he may be yet to reach his full potential.I can't really think of a glaring weakness he has as a guard. If you tried to move him to tackle, he's probably not quick enough to handle outside speed rushers.

Re-signed with the Chargers, can I get a woot woot ?

http://www.fflivewire.com/Article.asp?ID=332007mkf5894kf

Chargers prized free agent guard Kris Dielman agreed to terms on a new six-year contract Saturday that will keep him in San Diego through the 2012 season.

Dielman is expected to return to San Diego Saturday afternoon to sign the deal.
Wow. That came out of nowhere.
No kidding. not that LT needed anymore hype but now his OL returns...yikes! maybe not 30 TD, but how bout 25?

Sounds like Dielman played that just right, dangling himself out there before a credible suitor before getting a nice deal from his team, which is probably what he wanted all along. :thumbup:

Dielman agrees to six-year contract

Saturday, Mar 03, 2007

By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The Chargers accomplished their number one goal of the offseason Saturday when they agreed to terms on a new six-year contract with prized free agent guard Kris Dielman.

“This is huge for us,” Chargers President Dean Spanos said. “Kris brings so much to our team. The character and attitude of your football team starts with the offensive line. Kris brings an edge and intensity to that group that is vital. We’re so happy to keep him in the fold.”

Dielman becomes the 26th key Charger that is signed through at least the 2009 season. His new contract will run through the 2012 season. Dielman is expected to return to San Diego Saturday afternoon to sign the deal.

“I knew how important it was to A.J. (Smith) and Norv (Turner) to keep Kris with the team,” Spanos said. “Ed (McGuire) and I worked on the [contract] late last night and early this morning. When I called A.J. to tell him the good news, he couldn’t believe it. He thought I was pulling his leg.”

Dielman was one of the hottest commodities on market. As soon as free agency began, he was in Seattle meeting with the Seahawks. Seattle was aggressively pursuing him, but Spanos was determined to keep Dielman in lightning bolts.

“Dean said he wasn’t going to let Kris get away and he didn’t,” McGuire said. “Dean knows how valuable Kris is to our team in so many different ways. He stepped up and made it happen.”

Dielman was a first alternate to the Pro Bowl in 2006 after a remarkable year in which he helped pave the way for a record-breaking season by running back LaDainian Tomlinson. Dielman’s new contract also means stability for the Chargers’ offensive line, a tight-knit group that helped the Bolts finish second in the NFL in rushing in 2006 while leading the league in scoring. Left tackle Marcus McNeill is signed through 2009, center Nick Hardwick and right tackle Shane Olivea through 2011 and right guard Mike Goff through 2008.

“I’m extremely excited to have Kris back,” Smith said. “This is huge for our team because it enables us to keep our offensive line in tact for years to come. Kris is one of the best in the business at his position. He sets the tone with his consistent physical play.”

Now that the Chargers have secured Dielman, they have no other major free agency issues on the immediate horizon. The personnel department will now focus their efforts on the upcoming draft.

“We took care of the most important piece of business on our agenda,” Spanos said. “A.J. and his staff have had a lot of success lately finding players in the draft that can come in and help us and that’s where they’ll turn their attention now.”

Users who are viewing this thread