What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (1 Viewer)

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Thanks for the replies...

2 girls, 8 & 10. We're super excited!!!!!
One thing I always remind people - HAVE FUN. I know that sounds crazy but some folks forget that they whole point is for them and their kids to have fun. If your kids are having fun playing on Tom Sawyer Island then who gives a damn if you miss a FastPass for Big Thunder. There's so many "magical" moments to be had if you just pay attention. Sometimes just getting a snack (let me recommend a Pineapple Dole Whip) and sitting around soaking it all in can be a blast.
Easily the best advice in this thread. (although I hate pineapple...)

Backstory please.
Frozen is the hottest of all hot things that can be hot in the world.

Disney's Hollywood studios is fun but it truth it is kind of the red headed stepchild of the 4 parks. When you plan a week this is the park that you hit for a half day, on a Wednesday afternoon.

Someone at Disney figured out if they "frozened out" Hollywood studios they might be able to get parents to take the kids to hollywood studios for more then the token stop and make it a whole day attraction. The call it "a Frozen summer at Hollywood studios" or something along those lines. So every night they have a frozen parade, they do a frozen soundtrack singalong, they have fireworks with a frozen theme, they let the fathers molest your choice of Anna or Elsa (up-charge for both, but I hear that's not a problem for you Chet). Disney says they will keep this going through September 30th. Hollywood studios sees attendance spike though the roof so to the point that HS is actually relevant.

Start of September they announce that they will keep this going though Halloween, but you damn well better order your tickets now because 10.31 is it. I made a post about how ridiculous that announcement was and they are going to keep the frozen thing as long as they can. Late last week Disney announces "f-it, we are keeping this money train going" and I LOL because it was obvious they never were going to stop it.

Backstory please.
Frozen is the hottest of all hot things that can be hot in the world.

Disney's Hollywood studios is fun but it truth it is kind of the red headed stepchild of the 4 parks. When you plan a week this is the park that you hit for a half day, on a Wednesday afternoon.

Someone at Disney figured out if they "frozened out" Hollywood studios they might be able to get parents to take the kids to hollywood studios for more then the token stop and make it a whole day attraction. The call it "a Frozen summer at Hollywood studios" or something along those lines. So every night they have a frozen parade, they do a frozen soundtrack singalong, they have fireworks with a frozen theme, they let the fathers molest your choice of Anna or Elsa (up-charge for both, but I hear that's not a problem for you Chet). Disney says they will keep this going through September 30th. Hollywood studios sees attendance spike though the roof so to the point that HS is actually relevant.

Start of September they announce that they will keep this going though Halloween, but you damn well better order your tickets now because 10.31 is it. I made a post about how ridiculous that announcement was and they are going to keep the frozen thing as long as they can. Late last week Disney announces "f-it, we are keeping this money train going" and I LOL because it was obvious they never were going to stop it.
What is that all about?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

So our magic band futility continues. Checked in at the hotel. Got our magic bands. Told the woman to please double check they were active since they never work for us right away. She sends us to concierge. That woman scans the bands and says they are good to go. I explain that they never work for us for park admission and for fastpasses. She says they will. I explain we are annual passholders and that the new bands never work but our first set from like two years ago always does. She says the ones we just got are the only active ones. I explain that. She is incorrect and that this other set will 100% workshe tells me no.

Of course they don't work and our. Old set does. The problem is the old set doesn't work for the room key so we are stuck with two sets. Again.

Has to be some issue with us having annual passes so our park entry is never tied to our hotel stay. Disney needs a new technology officer.

Wife and daughter currently enjoying lunch at Sanaa. Texted me that it's pretty awesome so I appreciate the suggestion. They're also going to San Angel tomorrow.

I always thought animal kingdom was the half day park. Love studios and can easily be there open to close

I always thought animal kingdom was the half day park. Love studios and can easily be there open to close
I've never understood the half-day talk. I can easily spend 2 days at any park during one trip and not get bored. Then again, I most likely have a problem. I need to form WDWA.

My parents & sisters family just scooped up my little dude to take him to Epcot for the day. He isn't even 3 and has already been like 10 times. He is still free, but we are probably going to have to get passes soon.

I've never understood the half-day talk. I can easily spend 2 days at any park during one trip and not get bored. Then again, I most likely have a problem. I need to form WDWA.
with young kids, animal kingdom is half dayYou see two must see shows-Lion King and Nemo

We always hit the character breakfast at tusker house

Hit the safari immediately

Go to the carnival area

See bugs life 3d

Kids are too small for everest, dinosaur, the primevil twirl and river rapids

Did I miss anything

Now, this might not hold true the next time since both kids might be tall enough next time we go

AK is a half day for us most of the time just because we enjoy the others so much more. Could spend the whole week at EPCOT.

AcerFC said:
AAABatteries said:
AcerFC said:
with young kids, animal kingdom is half dayYou see two must see shows-Lion King and Nemo

Go to the carnival area

See bugs life 3d

Did I miss anything

Now, this might not hold true the next time since both kids might be tall enough next time we go
How young are your kids?

One of the hidden gems of AK is the "Wilderness Explores Guide." (based from the character in Up)

It is a free program whereas kids get a guidebook and have to go to 20-something outposts throughout the park collecting stickers in the book. Each outpost has an educational topic that the kids learn something unique about the area the outpost is in.

in Asia, you'll talk to a person from that country, learn about the culture and have them write your name in the native alphavet

near everest, you go on a savenger hunt and find things you would use on an expidition

by the safri, you learn about the wildlife and need to mark off animals you saw on the ride.

by dinosaur, you learn about fossils

etc.

this year my daughter made it her personal quest to fill out the book and get all the stations. She did and they have a great "Senior Wilderness Explorer" ceremony they did for her.

It took us 2 days, b/c we sprinkled in rides and shows between it, and yes, it was at times a bit annoying to have to at each place, but it was the highlight of my daughter's trip and she really felt a sense of accomplishment and we felt good knowing there was a bit of education value in there.

I know its easy to get caught up in just 'attractions' but there are sooo many more things like this that most people just pass right by.

Also...your missing Rafiki's planet watch. Granted, its tough to get to b/c it is a train ride away, but it is really the heart of the 'animal conservation' message there at AK.

Flights of wonder is also great show to watch.

AK is def a 2 day park for us.

Yep - other things for AK - the parade which my family loves and .the exploration trails. Also agree with glvsav - My kids did the Explorer Guide thing too. Pretty educational. And Rafiki Planet watch - we've seen really cool stuff out there including a surgery on a bat which was fascinating.

ETA - and how the hell can I forget about Pocahantes meet and greet. She's hot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go to the carnival area

See bugs life 3d

Did I miss anything

How young are your kids?One of the hidden gems of AK is the "Wilderness Explores Guide." (based from the character in Up)

It is a free program whereas kids get a guidebook and have to go to 20-something outposts throughout the park collecting stickers in the book. Each outpost has an educational topic that the kids learn something unique about the area the outpost is in.

in Asia, you'll talk to a person from that country, learn about the culture and have them write your name in the native alphavet

near everest, you go on a savenger hunt and find things you would use on an expidition

by the safri, you learn about the wildlife and need to mark off animals you saw on the ride.

by dinosaur, you learn about fossils

etc.

this year my daughter made it her personal quest to fill out the book and get all the stations. She did and they have a great "Senior Wilderness Explorer" ceremony they did for her.

It took us 2 days, b/c we sprinkled in rides and shows between it, and yes, it was at times a bit annoying to have to at each place, but it was the highlight of my daughter's trip and she really felt a sense of accomplishment and we felt good knowing there was a bit of education value in there.

I know its easy to get caught up in just 'attractions' but there are sooo many more things like this that most people just pass right by.

Also...your missing Rafiki's planet watch. Granted, its tough to get to b/c it is a train ride away, but it is really the heart of the 'animal conservation' message there at AK.

Flights of wonder is also great show to watch.

AK is def a 2 day park for us.
Just spent all day doing AK yesterday and left exhausted. Lion King show was fantastic, Nemo was too. I liked the safari drive, but the 7 yr old was a bit annoyed she was not on the left side (seems to be the side to see the most animals). The Wilderness Explorers badges really grabbed her and made her try to drag us all over at breakneck speed to fill the book.

Went to Tusker House and did character buffet and was not really impressed with the food, but don't take that to heart since I am a very vanilla Eater and the choices were mostly out of my wheelhouse. Kid loved posing with Mickey and doing the little noisy parade with Goofy.

On to MK today. Will my feet hold up for a week of this?

I just got off a week on the Disney Fantasy with my son. It was the first cruise I'd ever taken and I'd rate the complete experience as a little better than I expected. I am happy to answer questions or give some tips if anyone's interested.

I just got off a week on the Disney Fantasy with my son. It was the first cruise I'd ever taken and I'd rate the complete experience as a little better than I expected. I am happy to answer questions or give some tips if anyone's interested.
How old is Chet, Jr.? Did he have fun?

Who has done the ride swap thing? Me, my wife, two boys (11 & 6) may need to do this frequently, because of our 2 year-old daughter.

If I go with both boys, does she get to go with them again, when I am done? And we wheel the baby through the queue in the stroller, with us?

He turned 9 in June and had a great time. Lots of stuff for kids to do. For example, on most of the days when we were at sea, he spent at least a couple of hours in the kids club which was geared for kids 7-11. He had the ability to check himself in or out and we were able to keep in contact via portable phones provided in our room which allowed calls and texts.

He turned 9 in June and had a great time. Lots of stuff for kids to do. For example, on most of the days when we were at sea, he spent at least a couple of hours in the kids club which was geared for kids 7-11. He had the ability to check himself in or out and we were able to keep in contact via portable phones provided in our room which allowed calls and texts.
Where did you go

We are going on the disney wonder and I think I want to get a cabana when we hit castaway cay.

Where did you go

We are going on the disney wonder and I think I want to get a cabana when we hit castaway cay.
7-day western Caribbean that stopped at Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Castaway Cay. The cabanas were long gone by the time I booked (about 5 weeks prior). We went to the beach in the am, had lunch and then went fishing. We each got a bonefish.

We leave for Disney tomorrow! A few things I have learned....

I wasn't aware that the fast pass stuff should be booked a few WEEKS in advance. While out ticks all have fast passes, we were only able to book and handful of activities.

We were going to drive but my mom surprised us with tickets...... I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth but I almost crapped my pants when my wife told me the airline is called ( hold on while I look it up).... Frontier airlines.

I used to do a lot of flying and it never bothered me but as I've gotten older, and maybe it's from having kids/being aware of my own mortality, but flying is now something I avoid. I'm not going to be in a panic, but I will keep telling myself that this plane is safer then anything that flew in 1944 and hey, it's not Malaysian, riiiight?????

Another benefit of flying "Frontier" is their insane baggage fees. I'm looking into fed ex-info out luggage straight to the hotel.... Which reminds me of my new thread topic.....

Leaving for WDW in 4 weeks. Wondering if the Mickey's Chirstmas Party is worth the $$$. Can buy the tix for $350 for the 5 of us. We did the Halloween party once and loved it. Thought it might be fun to buy the tix as a surprise.

It's cool but if you go on a Saturday night you see most of the same stuff for free. Of course there will be 5x as many people there fwiw.

My family will be BETA testing a new fast pass system for counter service eateries. We have been offered fast pass lunch eating at Beauty and the Beast Castle. We select our time and menu items for lunch now. When we appear at our time our bands get scanned and our food is brought to us without waiting in line.

Should be interesting. Sounds fun.

It's cool but if you go on a Saturday night you see most of the same stuff for free. Of course there will be 5x as many people there fwiw.
5x on Saturday, correct? I assume that they reduce the # of folks there by charging the extra $$$.

My family will be BETA testing a new fast pass system for counter service eateries. We have been offered fast pass lunch eating at Beauty and the Beast Castle. We select our time and menu items for lunch now. When we appear at our time our bands get scanned and our food is brought to us without waiting in line.

We did this twice. Just a note it does not show up in my disney experience so save the email. Fyi you don't have to order your food in advance.

We did this twice. Just a note it does not show up in my disney experience so save the email. Fyi you don't have to order your food in advance.
Good to know. Yeah, I knew about the second but we ordered anyway. Still cool. How did it work?

Leaving for WDW in 4 weeks. Wondering if the Mickey's Chirstmas Party is worth the $$$. Can buy the tix for $350 for the 5 of us. We did the Halloween party once and loved it. Thought it might be fun to buy the tix as a surprise.
I would say definately yes if you plan to stay in the parks late (11 pm or so). The party technically starts at 7 (when they kick everyone out w/o special ticket) but you can get in the park with the ticket at 4. The way we have treated it (and the Halloween party) is to make the day a pool day/rexalation day then get to the parks at 4. That way you aren't buying two tickets for the day and have energy for a late night as you haven't rushed out in the morning. Also, people tend to start leaving after the fireworks, which are at 9:30 or so and it really clears out afterwards. Would recomend getting there around 4, getting an early dinner then seeing the early parade and watching the fireworks. As the night gets later you can walk right onto the rides. Last year I walked onto Thundermountain, Space Mountatin and Splash mountain with no waits. We usually do two days at Magic Kingdom (one the party night and one a regular day) and save all the long-waits for this night so you can do them and also not burn fast passes. Also, a bunch of character meet and greets which are also pretty empty.

Our experience with these have been so good we plan our trips around going to either the Christmas Party or Halloween Party.

Last edited by a moderator:
5x on Saturday, correct? I assume that they reduce the # of folks there by charging the extra $$$.
Yes, they sell a limited number of tickets so even when the party is at its busiest the park is not as crowded as during regular hours.

I would say definately yes if you plan to stay in the parks late (11 pm or so). The party technically starts at 7 (when they kick everyone out w/o special ticket) but you can get in the park with the ticket at 4. The way we have treated it (and the Halloween party) is to make the day a pool day/rexalation day then get to the parks at 4. That way you aren't buying two tickets for the day and have energy for a late night as you haven't rushed out in the morning. Also, people tend to start leaving after the fireworks, which are at 9:30 or so and it really clears out afterwards. Would recomend getting there around 4, getting an early dinner then seeing the early parade and watching the fireworks. As the night gets later you can walk right onto the rides. Last year I walked onto Thundermountain, Space Mountatin and Splash mountain with no waits. We usually do two days at Magic Kingdom (one the party night and one a regular day) and save all the long-waits for this night so you can do them and also not burn fast passes. Also, a bunch of character meet and greets which are also pretty empty.

Our experience with these have been so good we plan our trips around going to either the Christmas Party or Halloween Party.
OK, we are staying at AKL (Arr Sat, dep next Sun), and will have driven. The day that I was thinking about doing CP we have Chef Mickey's at 8:45a and FP+ @ 11:20a (Toy Story), 1:15p (Frozen Sing Along/Stunt Show) and 3:20p Star Tours. I could switch the ST FP+ to 10ish which would give us the ability to go back to the lodge for a bit if we wanted to before the Christmas Party. The next day the ladies have a BBB @ 8:45, boys open (No CP that nite). We have a couple days with nothing planned so it is possible to go back to HS if there is something we missed.

FP+ makes this overly planned. Not thrilled yet.

Yea during the parties you can pretty much hop on any ride and it'll have a shorter wait time. Same with seating for parades and stuff like that.

OK, we are staying at AKL (Arr Sat, dep next Sun), and will have driven. The day that I was thinking about doing CP we have Chef Mickey's at 8:45a and FP+ @ 11:20a (Toy Story), 1:15p (Frozen Sing Along/Stunt Show) and 3:20p Star Tours. I could switch the ST FP+ to 10ish which would give us the ability to go back to the lodge for a bit if we wanted to before the Christmas Party. The next day the ladies have a BBB @ 8:45, boys open (No CP that nite). We have a couple days with nothing planned so it is possible to go back to HS if there is something we missed.

FP+ makes this overly planned. Not thrilled yet.
Up to you but ends up being a long day if you are up and moving at 8:30 in the morning and you end up paying for two tickets. I personally wouldn't pay for the party unless I was willing to stay late as the best part of the party is being in an almost empty Magic Kingdom. Last time we did it we stayed at the beach club and did the character breakfast but did it late so it was really a brunch then hung out at the pool (we are NYers aso being at the pool in FL in Decemeber wasn't an issue) and just snacked for lunch and then headed to the park at 4 but basically ate an early dinner at 5 or 5:30 when it was still crowded from the day.

Good to know. Yeah, I knew about the second but we ordered anyway. Still cool. How did it work?
We were a part of this beta test, in February. Worked great and was a nice use of the magic bands, they knew right where we were sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread