What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (4 Viewers)

We've used the park hopper passes when we want to go to say the MK on one day, but have reservations in another park. We've also used them on the days we go to AK because we don't spend more than four hours in AK.
What means this? Restaurant reservations, or do you have to reserve what days you will be going to specific parks if you have the Standard Passes?
If you dont have park hoppers then you have to go to the park where you have your restaurant reservations. That is the one thing that keeps us getting the park hoppers. We can enjoy the day at Epcot and then head to the MK for dinner reservations with Pooh or vice versa
Interesting. I purposefully made my reservations at restaurants at the resorts instead of in the parks. We have some breakfasts and dinners that are unplanned right now. Do you guys think we need a reservation for every dinner?
It's a very good idea to have them. The hotel restaurants are really good too, and some have characters in them, so its not like you miss that experience. But if you want to eat in LeCellier, or any place in EPCOT for that matter that is sit down, you need reservations for the most part unless you are willing to go off peak and wait a little. We usually overbook reservations so that we have options and then decide that day which ones we are using.

We were considering the Park Hopper just to get into and out of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios to check out a couple of things. I didn't see us spending entire days at either with a limited schedule, but figured we might ID a couple of things we REALLY wanted to hit at each and just check them out when we had some downtime (i.e., after coming back from MK for an afternoon nap or something).You can leave and re-enter the same park on one day without Park Hopper, right? So, if we spend the morning at MK, then want to go back to the hotel for a bit, then re-enter MK in the afternoon, that's doable with a hand stamp or something, right?
Yes, you can leave and re-enter the same park on the same day. We do use the park hoppers - for example we might spend the first part of the day at MK with the kids, head back to the room for a break, and then the wife and I will go to Epcot at night (or something like that). I guess I like having the flexibility the park hoppers provide.
Because of a limited selection of discounted ticket options through work, I didn't have Park Hopper this time. I really didn't miss it as much as expected. Though we also didn't do nearly as many meal reservations as usual (just Ohana... and walked in at Morocco one day). We were "only" at AK from 9am-5:30pm, so I suppose we could have extended that day in another park if we had the hopper. But it's nice to mix in a lighter day midweek. That left some pool time. There were also one or two things we didn't get to at Hollywood Studios in the one full day there. Would have been kinda nice to stop in for a couple hours the last day.

Only places I could see for Park Hopper are Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Those are a half day each IMO.
Agreed on AK, but not Studios. They've done a good job of getting more stuff in there that is really fun. It's become an all day park for us the last two trips.

We were considering the Park Hopper just to get into and out of Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios to check out a couple of things. I didn't see us spending entire days at either with a limited schedule, but figured we might ID a couple of things we REALLY wanted to hit at each and just check them out when we had some downtime (i.e., after coming back from MK for an afternoon nap or something).You can leave and re-enter the same park on one day without Park Hopper, right? So, if we spend the morning at MK, then want to go back to the hotel for a bit, then re-enter MK in the afternoon, that's doable with a hand stamp or something, right?
Yes, you can leave and re-enter the same park on the same day. We do use the park hoppers - for example we might spend the first part of the day at MK with the kids, head back to the room for a break, and then the wife and I will go to Epcot at night (or something like that). I guess I like having the flexibility the park hoppers provide.
So you guys use the resort "babysitting" services at night? The Mickey Mouse Club BS and all that? How is it? They keep the kids pretty entertained, don't make you feel like you're abandoning them, give you a feeling of general security (General Security :salute:), etc? I mean, I know it's Disney and a kid dying in their care might not be the PR they'd like, but it's still nice to hear it from somebody who has used it.
We've never used it but I've never heard anything bad from people who do. They also have animal babysitting to which apparantly is like a 10 star hotel for dogs.

We've used the park hopper passes when we want to go to say the MK on one day, but have reservations in another park. We've also used them on the days we go to AK because we don't spend more than four hours in AK.
Only four hours? It's a one day park unless you want to spend a lot of times walking around looking at the animals, which would be pretty easy to do. But just half a day seems like you'd miss a lot. I suppose it's doable if the kids are small and you skip Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids. But skipping the Lion King and Nemo shows would be a big mistake. Those are excellent for all ages.

Oh yeah, and take the kids to see Pocahontas (in the Rafiki's Planet Watch portion of the park). This trip she was the best looking "princess" I saw. :wub: Last trip it was Jasmine. I kinda dug Mulan too.

Yeah, I've said it in here before - I think they've basically taken the route of finding girls that could be centerfolds to be the princesses. Every time I see Jasmin I find myself close to drooling. They do it on purpose to sucked dads into buying stuff for kids - but hey, I'm ok being the fool if they are going to look like that.

So you guys use the resort "babysitting" services at night? The Mickey Mouse Club BS and all that? How is it? They keep the kids pretty entertained, don't make you feel like you're abandoning them, give you a feeling of general security (General Security :salute:), etc? I mean, I know it's Disney and a kid dying in their care might not be the PR they'd like, but it's still nice to hear it from somebody who has used it.
We've never used it but I've never heard anything bad from people who do. They also have animal babysitting to which apparantly is like a 10 star hotel for dogs.
Would they give my daughter a flea bath and teach her to notspeak?

Actually we have never used the resort child care services. My in-laws live in a Del Boca Vista type development down there so we are lucky to have them willing to watch our kids. I don't think I'd hesitate to use the on-site services though as I've heard good things and imagine they're taken very seriously by Disney given the risks involved.

Wasn't there a post in here about an app regarding line waits? What happened to it? Am I having the hallucinations again?

Ride Hopper - Line Wait Times?

The Disney ride time app I think I mentioned is sweet. Check it out for iPhone and it has probably made it's way to Android as well. Tells you wait times for all major rides at all parks. You can update yourself too. Used it last time and it was helpful.
Nevermind. It was on the previous page. I'm pretty new to this whole internet/message board thing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. :unsure:Is that the app you were talking about?

The Disney ride time app I think I mentioned is sweet. Check it out for iPhone and it has probably made it's way to Android as well. Tells you wait times for all major rides at all parks. You can update yourself too. Used it last time and it was helpful.
Nevermind. It was on the previous page. I'm pretty new to this whole internet/message board thing, so you'll have to excuse my ignorance. :unsure:Is that the app you were talking about?
Yup

Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier.

Same thinking applies for Animal Kingdom.
If you decide to stay at a DVC resort, try renting points from owners. It may be cheaper than booking thru disney.A few people I know used this site http://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp and had good luck renting points.

If you want to stay at Epcot, go with the Boardwalk Villas or the Beach Club. Both are walking distance to EPCOT and Hollywood Studios.

Just booked 7 nights at Kidani Village (Savannah View) for next October - both Food & Wine AND MNSSHP (Mickey's Halloween party) going on! :pickle:
I just booked a quick 5 night stay at the Bay Lake tower in October too, never been to the F&W or the MNSSHP. Can't wait to check those out.When are the Halloween party dates announced?

Has anyone ever stayed in The Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort? Not the camp site but the actual cabins.
Yes. They're awesome.A separate bedroom means you can put the kids to bed while you can stay up watching tv, drinking, etc. A full kitchen (plus a grill outside), so you can cook some of your own meals. If you have a car, you can park five feet from your door. Very nice at the end of a long day.

With little kids, I don't think you need park hopper. It does take a little planning around meals, but we haven't had a problem with it the past two times we've been. Up to about 5 years old they just don't have the energy to park hop. We prefer to go to the park till mid afternoon and return to the resort for some swimming and relaxing.

Just booked 7 nights at Kidani Village (Savannah View) for next October - both Food & Wine AND MNSSHP (Mickey's Halloween party) going on! :pickle:
I just booked a quick 5 night stay at the Bay Lake tower in October too, never been to the F&W or the MNSSHP. Can't wait to check those out.When are the Halloween party dates announced?
I've read they'll be announced late March/early April and tix will likely go on sale around May 1st.

As others have already said, spring for the Park Hoppers. They'll allow you the flexibility to

A) not have to spend the entire day at a park where you have a reservation.

B) allow you to supplement some of the parks where you might not need the whole day, and

C) properly take advantage of EMH. Its great to be there during the EMH, but during normal park hours whichever park has EMH that day will be insanely busy. For morning EMH get there at 8 then about 11 or so head out to whichever park had EMH the previous day. For evening EMH just try to get there a little bit before regular park close.

A little about Fastpass

There really aren't that many attractions that require Fastpass, though each park has at least one ride where it's imperative that you get there at park open and send one person immediately for Fastpasses.

Essential FP (go get them first thing in the morning)

MK: Space Mountain

Epcot: Soarin'

Studios: Toy Story

AK: Safari

Recommended FP

MK: Splash, Thunder, Pan, Pooh

Epcot: Test Track, Mission Space

Studios: Tower, RnRC, Star Tours (when it reopens in May)

AK: Everest

Unnecessary FP

MK: Jungle Cruise, Buzz

Epcot: Maelstrom, EO

Studios: none

AK: Dinosaur, Kali, Primeval Whirl

As others have already said, spring for the Park Hoppers. They'll allow you the flexibility toA) not have to spend the entire day at a park where you have a reservation.B) allow you to supplement some of the parks where you might not need the whole day, andC) properly take advantage of EMH. Its great to be there during the EMH, but during normal park hours whichever park has EMH that day will be insanely busy. For morning EMH get there at 8 then about 11 or so head out to whichever park had EMH the previous day. For evening EMH just try to get there a little bit before regular park close.A little about FastpassThere really aren't that many attractions that require Fastpass, though each park has at least one ride where it's imperative that you get there at park open and send one person immediately for Fastpasses.Essential FP (go get them first thing in the morning)MK: Space MountainEpcot: Soarin'Studios: Toy StoryAK: SafariRecommended FPMK: Splash, Thunder, Pan, PoohEpcot: Test Track, Mission SpaceStudios: Tower, RnRC, Star Tours (when it reopens in May)AK: EverestUnnecessary FPMK: Jungle Cruise, BuzzEpcot: Maelstrom, EOStudios: noneAK: Dinosaur, Kali, Primeval Whirl
:wub:

Only four hours? It's a one day park unless you want to spend a lot of times walking around looking at the animals, which would be pretty easy to do. But just half a day seems like you'd miss a lot. I suppose it's doable if the kids are small and you skip Everest, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids. But skipping the Lion King and Nemo shows would be a big mistake. Those are excellent for all ages.

Oh yeah, and take the kids to see Pocahontas (in the Rafiki's Planet Watch portion of the park). This trip she was the best looking "princess" I saw. :wub: Last trip it was Jasmine. I kinda dug Mulan too.

Agree on Pocahontas

Has anyone ever stayed in The Cabins at Fort Wilderness Resort? Not the camp site but the actual cabins.
Yes. They're awesome.A separate bedroom means you can put the kids to bed while you can stay up watching tv, drinking, etc. A full kitchen (plus a grill outside), so you can cook some of your own meals. If you have a car, you can park five feet from your door. Very nice at the end of a long day.
Thanks for the feedback. My family of 3 is going the end of May and we pretty much have decided to stay at the cabins. My wife's family used to take thier Airstream to the campsite so she wanted to stay there for nostalgia plus the appealing aspect to us was the fact we were not confined to a standard hotel room. I'm looking forward to making my own coffee and relaxing on the front porch before a long day at the park while not having to rush out for breakfast. Vice versa on the relaxing part when we get back. I'll drive down to Disney so the parking aspect is nice especially since we can pack some of our own groceries. Did you rent the golf carts? If so, how much were they?

Thanks for the feedback. My family of 3 is going the end of May and we pretty much have decided to stay at the cabins. My wife's family used to take thier Airstream to the campsite so she wanted to stay there for nostalgia plus the appealing aspect to us was the fact we were not confined to a standard hotel room. I'm looking forward to making my own coffee and relaxing on the front porch before a long day at the park while not having to rush out for breakfast. Vice versa on the relaxing part when we get back. I'll drive down to Disney so the parking aspect is nice especially since we can pack some of our own groceries. Did you rent the golf carts? If so, how much were they?
No. No need for a golf cart if you have a car. I want to say they were $25-$30 per day though.Drive to the parks instead of using the Disney transportation. Free parking for resort guests.

T minus 9 days for us and I feel like I should start doing some planning.

12 of us including 6, 5, 4, 3 year olds, 2 sets of parents, 2 sets of grandparents.

Things got a little interesting on Friday when we got a call saying the owner of the house that we booked for the vacation a few moths ago decided to "void" our week. We had to scramble a bit but fortunately the other place that we were also deciding between originally was still available.

Already booked the minivans (balla) and park passes.

Just booked our stroller rental and about to go in and pre-purchase Photopass for $100.

Convinced my wife to let me upgrade the old Canon Rebel XT to a T2i in time for the trip.

I didn't realy know about the Disney reservation logjam until a couple months ago so tried to make a few reservations but they're all for 2 and very late. Will have to ditch the kids with their grandparents for our (prob 1, maybe 2) dinner out and will just decide on one of the reservations I made. Booked O'Hana (~8:30) and LeCelier (~8:00) but also thinking of California Grill (reservations are 9:20 but figure fireworks would be going off at 10:00 while we're there). We have a house off property so we'll probably do alot of meals at the house of nearby off-property.

Any suggestions for:

- What we should do for dinner on our couples night out?

- Places we shouldn't miss eating at on property with the kids?

- Good non-Disney places to eat in the Orlando/Kissimee area?

Thanks in advance, I'll probably post more questions as we get closer and the "we haven't really planned anything" panic sets in.

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have already said, spring for the Park Hoppers. They'll allow you the flexibility toA) not have to spend the entire day at a park where you have a reservation.B) allow you to supplement some of the parks where you might not need the whole day, andC) properly take advantage of EMH. Its great to be there during the EMH, but during normal park hours whichever park has EMH that day will be insanely busy. For morning EMH get there at 8 then about 11 or so head out to whichever park had EMH the previous day. For evening EMH just try to get there a little bit before regular park close.A little about FastpassThere really aren't that many attractions that require Fastpass, though each park has at least one ride where it's imperative that you get there at park open and send one person immediately for Fastpasses.Essential FP (go get them first thing in the morning)MK: Space MountainEpcot: Soarin'Studios: Toy StoryAK: SafariRecommended FPMK: Splash, Thunder, Pan, PoohEpcot: Test Track, Mission SpaceStudios: Tower, RnRC, Star Tours (when it reopens in May)AK: EverestUnnecessary FPMK: Jungle Cruise, BuzzEpcot: Maelstrom, EOStudios: noneAK: Dinosaur, Kali, Primeval Whirl
Holy crap it is a jmills sighting. Where you been GB?

'Lehigh98 said:
Any suggestions for:

- What we should do for dinner on our couples night out?

- Good non-Disney places to eat in the Orlando/Kissimee area?

Thanks in advance, I'll probably post more questions as we get closer and the "we haven't really planned anything" panic sets in.
Cafe Tu Tu Tango is the answer to both of your questions. Great food, good drink, funky/cool atmosphere and not huge bill at the end of the night. Small plates. Attractive clientele. Decent location from Disney.

If you like really good food, check out the Ravenous Pig in Orlando. It's a great gastropub, but a bit of a drive. Not cheap and prolly better without the kids. Highly recommended.

'Lehigh98 said:
Any suggestions for:- What we should do for dinner on our couples night out?- Places we shouldn't miss eating at on property with the kids?- Good non-Disney places to eat in the Orlando/Kissimee area?Thanks in advance, I'll probably post more questions as we get closer and the "we haven't really planned anything" panic sets in.
Bubbalous BBQ is pretty good.http://www.bubbalous.com/

'GreekFreak said:
Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier.

If you decide to stay at a DVC resort, try renting points from owners. It may be cheaper than booking thru disney.A few people I know used this site http://www.dvcrequest.com/default.asp and had good luck renting points.
Thats tempting. You know people first hand that have used that site?

'GreekFreak said:

I met a few people at my home resort that have used that site. Go on the disboards, they have a whole section devoted to DVC with owners posting ads for renting points.

'GreekFreak said:

I met a few people at my home resort that have used that site. Go on the disboards, they have a whole section devoted to DVC with owners posting ads for renting points.
Thanks

Beach Club and Boardwalk say they are in the Epcot area. So I would be be able to take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom area? Is the monorail in Epcot? Like would I have to enter the park to get to it?

Beach Club and Boardwalk say they are in the Epcot area. So I would be be able to take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom area? Is the monorail in Epcot? Like would I have to enter the park to get to it?
You dont need to go into epcot for the mono. You just have to pass thru the bag checking security and it's just to your left. I think you then go to the transportation center where you then get on mono for MK

If you stay at the Boardwalk...it's walking distance to Hollywood Studios and Epcot. They also have boat service that leaves about every 20 minutes that is really slick (and free). Walking distance = about 1 mile to Epcot, 1.5 to Hollywood Studios. So if you have kids, hop on the boat. To get to Magic Kingdom or Animal Kingdom, you take a bus. They also leave about every 20 minutes and are free. It's really very easy to get to any of them.

You dont need to go into epcot for the mono. You just have to pass thru the bag checking security and it's just to your left. I think you then go to the transportation center where you then get on mono for MK
I'm pretty sure the monorail entrance is before the security check.

The resort entrances for Epcot are located behind France and England showcases, so you would have to walk all the way to front of the epcot park to get on the monorail.If you have little ones, I recommend the Beach Club if you can get it. The pool is AWESOME.

Is staying at one of the resorts in downtown Disney a negative? We are looking at Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, but feel like being in the Epcot or Magic Kingdom area by the monorail would be much better/easier. Same thinking applies for Animal Kingdom.
We stayed at Saratoga Springs last summer and loved it. The 2 bedroom villa we had was nice as well as the grounds. We requested a villa in Congress Park with a Downtown Disney view but had to wait a few hours on it so instead we took a villa in the Springs section. It was perfect. We were very close to the main pool, bus stop, and restaurants. We also had a view of the golf course which was across the street. You can walk to DTD or take the boat. I recommend the boat. As far as the bus service goes it was pretty good. We only had to wait more than 10 minutes 1 time and that was on a morning when we were going to the Magic Kingdom. When the bus arrived it was full but a 2nd bus came within 3 minutes. There was a CM there that morning with a radio constantly checking on buses. The rides to the parks really wasn't that long either. The shortest was to Epcot and the longest was to AK. `

We used this site and booked a 2 bedroom at Beach Club Villas for November saved quite a bit of money. Bringing my parents along so the 2 bedroom was perfect. Daughters will be 3 and 1 by then, cant wait.Thanks Geek for the tip.

Leave this Saturday for a week at Disney with the family. After years of listening to Yankee go on about Ohana I will finally be taking the plunge. At this point I better orgasm at least twice during the meal or I'm going to feel led on.

Leave this Saturday for a week at Disney with the family. After years of listening to Yankee go on about Ohana I will finally be taking the plunge. At this point I better orgasm at least twice during the meal or I'm going to feel led on.
:thumbup: Just think of me when you........ wait, no don't do that. Unless that's your thing. NTTAWWT. I'm flattered. Just not my team, you know. Baseball, not curtains and all.Anyhoo. Ever been to a turkish prison?

I'm pretty sure the monorail entrance is before the security check.
When we went last month, checkpoint was first. But if you have no bags, then you dont need to wait in line

Wife decided to tell me last night that she is working on booking a trip in September which is earlier than our usual time but she wants to do Food & Wine Festival again. :shrug: What do I say? No, I don't want all the good extra food and booze in our trip?

She knows me too well.

My wife has strict instructions to book Ohana the first day we are allowed to make reservations.

Italian food is a must also. How are the two Italian restaurants in Epcot?

My wife has strict instructions to book Ohana the first day we are allowed to make reservations.

Italian food is a must also. How are the two Italian restaurants in Epcot?
Very good.
Even better than Olive Garden? [/woz]
Olive Garden is to Italian food like Pizza Hut is to pizza fat girls are to sex. Might be servicable if you have no taste or pride......

Users who are viewing this thread