What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DL Tiers (1 Viewer)

what side did he play in cle?do you expect him to struggle against left tackles?
Mostly on the right side in Cleveland. Like many pass rushers, I think he's grown into a different player over the past two years as he's learned the league and added size. That's not to argue that he consistently do well against athletic tackles, but I'm willing to err on the side of putting him in the higher tier.

Is there any news you could get in training camps that would make you roster Trevor Scott this season? Seems pretty wide-open there, and he looked good in Oakland before the injury.

'hal9000 said:
Any idea what might happen with Andre Carter?
The expectation is that he re-signs with the Patriots once he can pass a physical. From what I understand he has been rehabbing and working out at the Pats facilities.

Just had my draft... I have Trent Cole and Robert Mathis as my starting DL position players... according to your rankings I think I might have a shot here... thanks!

Hi Jene, I was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on Paul Kruger filling in for Terrell suggs this year. Thanks

Greg bedard thinking chandler jones will start immediately @GregABedard: I think it's time for us (me) to adjust expectations for DE Chandler Jones. At this point, he's a starter. Not sure I see it changinghttp://mobile.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/time_to_adjust
The early reports on Jones are very promising. He's not formally moved into the lineup and there'll be some rotation for sure, but the Patriots look like a 4-3 team and Jones is ticketed for the position I liked him in most -- 4-3 RDE.Moved him up significantly in my last tier update. Now on the verge of my DL3 with T20 upside tier.

Greg bedard thinking chandler jones will start immediately

@GregABedard: I think it's time for us (me) to adjust expectations for DE Chandler Jones. At this point, he's a starter. Not sure I see it changing

http://mobile.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/08/time_to_adjust
The early reports on Jones are very promising. He's not formally moved into the lineup and there'll be some rotation for sure, but the Patriots look like a 4-3 team and Jones is ticketed for the position I liked him in most -- 4-3 RDE.Moved him up significantly in my last tier update. Now on the verge of my DL3 with T20 upside tier.
I wouldn't rush to judgement on that.I have no inside info, and I'm not disputing it, but they've been a multiple front team in the past, as you know, and if they happen top be working in an even front in camp it might be that belichick just wants to get tape on that front to correct it (which was belichick's claim last year this time), or he feels the execution is simpler for the young guys -- and they have a few rookies working their way in.

bedard is the unblinking eye on pats camp, but when tim ryan and pat kirwan stopped by for a quick visit I think they felt jones was more of a raw developmental guy with huge upside as compared with bequette, who they were pretty high on.

just to offer a counterpoint.

I'd say follow preseason, but I don't think that guarantees anything, as far as what front they run all year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jene,

The first camp report discusses Gerald McCoy as being a beast. Anything there in a tackle heavy format or is he in a place where he just won't see the stats?

Mike Reiss writes on Patriots first-round draft choice Chandler Jones. Reiss quotes Saints left tackle Jermon Bushrod, who was impressed with Jones.

"He looks like a [Jason] Pierre-Paul type, the way he comes off the ball," Bushrod said after spending much of Tuesday's joint practice matched up against Jones. "He has long arms, he's a tall guy and he has good speed. If you let him get into your chest, he has power enough to bull you. :thumbup:

Hi Jene, I was wondering if you could tell me your thoughts on Paul Kruger filling in for Terrell suggs this year. Thanks
I am wondering about him as well. MFL has him listed as DE, which makes me think he could be a nice pickup. Your thoughts Jene?

Jene,The first camp report discusses Gerald McCoy as being a beast. Anything there in a tackle heavy format or is he in a place where he just won't see the stats?
There's potential here, but not enough upside for me to have him as a draftable commodity in a combined DE/DT rank list yet.

I am wondering about him as well. MFL has him listed as DE, which makes me think he could be a nice pickup. Your thoughts Jene?
Kruger is growing into a good player, but he's not the all-around player Suggs is, nor does he have the elite pass rushing upside. Might belong in the DL3 tiers, but I'm waiting to see exactly how the Ravens align and use him before recommending him as more than draftable depth.

Chandler Jones looked like a veteran and made Nate Solder look like an undrafted rookie when, in one-on-ones, Jones slapped Solder’s hands down and then clubbed him out of the way for an easy would-be sack.

Any chance Phillip Hunt gets on the field enough to be relevant in IDP leagues this year? I have watched both Eagles (Well whats been played in game #2) games and he has looked un-blockable so far.

'Shane Falco said:
Anyone have any insight on Derrick Morgan? Still splitting time?What a wasted pick :(
He gets one more month, see what he does the first 2-3 weeks before throwing in the towel, he wasn't ever 100% last year so you almost have to give him a few real games this year to see if he really is a bust. I just traded for Kam in a league I was hoping one of Morgan or Dunlap emerged to cover my ### though. So, worth a roster spot but don't pencil him in the lineup week 1.

'Shane Falco said:
Anyone have any insight on Derrick Morgan? Still splitting time?What a wasted pick :(
He gets one more month, see what he does the first 2-3 weeks before throwing in the towel, he wasn't ever 100% last year so you almost have to give him a few real games this year to see if he really is a bust. I just traded for Kam in a league I was hoping one of Morgan or Dunlap emerged to cover my ### though. So, worth a roster spot but don't pencil him in the lineup week 1.
yeah, I'm sitting on him and Michael Johnson in one league and 1 of the 2 is going to have to be cut before final rosters

Jean, when Jason Pierre-Paul came out he was looked at as somewhat of a project. He hadnt played alot in college if i remember correct. I could be wrong but i remember drafting him late in my dynasty IDP league. Do you see anyone in this draft that is worth a flyer on that falls into that mold. Thanks
First I have ever heard of a DE drafted #15 overall described as a "project". I think that was more a matter of his situation at the time, behind Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora, and Mathias Kiwanuka. He was also First team All-American his final season of college as well.Raw? Yes. PROJECT? Heck no.. :)
The Giants didn't see him as one but people were saying that and talking about his backflip video where he did

Bengals got good news on Dunlap. He's got a chance not to miss any games at all now. If he does, it shouldn't be long :knockonwood:

Bengals got good news on Dunlap. He's got a chance not to miss any games at all now. If he does, it shouldn't be long :knockonwood:
Do you have a link by chance?
My link
Knowing Marvin Lewis, a comment that Dunlap "seems pretty close with things" could mean that he's sitting in the meeting room next door. Hopefully, it means that Dunlap is progressing more quickly than expected, but the little information the team has released to date and the visible mechanism of injury suggests at least a Grade 2 MCL strain. It's possible he's back to practice before four weeks have passed and is ready to play in Week 1, but I think that's a hopeful estimate.

Freeney listed as DE and its Sept 1st, safe to say its going to stay this way? IMO this is great value and I have been able to get him late and even off my WW in dynasty.

I notice that Mathis and Hughes are listed as LB and figure if all 3 are going to be on the field at the sametime one of them as to be listed DL.

thanks for any updates.

'KellysHeroes said:
Freeney listed as DE and its Sept 1st, safe to say its going to stay this way? IMO this is great value and I have been able to get him late and even off my WW in dynasty.I notice that Mathis and Hughes are listed as LB and figure if all 3 are going to be on the field at the sametime one of them as to be listed DL.thanks for any updates.
Freeney wasn't even any good in a 4-3 for fantasy in balanced scoring systems. Moving to a 3-4 DE isn't likely to help.

'KellysHeroes said:
Freeney listed as DE and its Sept 1st, safe to say its going to stay this way? IMO this is great value and I have been able to get him late and even off my WW in dynasty.I notice that Mathis and Hughes are listed as LB and figure if all 3 are going to be on the field at the sametime one of them as to be listed DL.thanks for any updates.
Freeney wasn't even any good in a 4-3 for fantasy in balanced scoring systems. Moving to a 3-4 DE isn't likely to help.
Agree 100% Tick... But what is your opinion if he's playing the majority of his snaps at 3-4 OLB yet still listed as a DE (a la Terrell Suggs)? This appears to be the likely scenario as of right now.I don't pretend to have a good feel for what it will do for his sack totals... no question he's a bit long of tooth to be making such a position/scheme switch. But at the very least I have to think he'll notch a few more solos and assists than usual.

'KellysHeroes said:
Agree 100% Tick... But what is your opinion if he's playing the majority of his snaps at 3-4 OLB yet still listed as a DE (a la Terrell Suggs)? This appears to be the likely scenario as of right now.I don't pretend to have a good feel for what it will do for his sack totals... no question he's a bit long of tooth to be making such a position/scheme switch. But at the very least I have to think he'll notch a few more solos and assists than usual.
Sorry, I should have thought a bit more.Yeah, if you can get a 3-4 OLB classified as a DE, it's great. Bryan Thomas and Adalius Thomas had some great seasons under this classification at times... but it seems to have been awhile since MFL got one of these wrong.I haven't seen Indy this preseason. Is he playing DE or OLB? I know the original plan was OLB, but I thought I read something saying he was taking some DE snaps.

'KellysHeroes said:
Sorry, I should have thought a bit more.Yeah, if you can get a 3-4 OLB classified as a DE, it's great. Bryan Thomas and Adalius Thomas had some great seasons under this classification at times... but it seems to have been awhile since MFL got one of these wrong.I haven't seen Indy this preseason. Is he playing DE or OLB? I know the original plan was OLB, but I thought I read something saying he was taking some DE snaps.
I don't think Freeney's numbers are going to change much. He'll have no impact in coverage and putting him in a two point stance will not increase his effectiveness against the run. The reason so many "LBs classifed as DEs" have been attractive loopholes over the years is because most of those players had a higher solo tackle expectation. I strongly doubt we'll see Freeney pick up 10-20 solos in this role. I think 40 solos is his absolute ceiling and I think he hits it only if he runs up a mid-double digit sack count.

'KellysHeroes said:
I don't think Freeney's numbers are going to change much. He'll have no impact in coverage and putting him in a two point stance will not increase his effectiveness against the run. The reason so many "LBs classifed as DEs" have been attractive loopholes over the years is because most of those players had a higher solo tackle expectation. I strongly doubt we'll see Freeney pick up 10-20 solos in this role. I think 40 solos is his absolute ceiling and I think he hits it only if he runs up a mid-double digit sack count.
Agreed. As a Colts fan who has watched all the preseason games, I think it's important to note that the Colts are rotating Mathis, Freeney, and Jerry Hughes at the two OLB spots and of those three, Freeney has struggled the most in the transition to the 3-4. There was even talk this last week of Freeney possibly being cut due to his huge cap number this year and the emergence of Jerry Hughes, who is seemingly flourishing in the new 3-4 scheme. Freeney will most definitely not be playing every down and could possibly play the least of the three OLBs.

'KellysHeroes said:
Agreed. As a Colts fan who has watched all the preseason games, I think it's important to note that the Colts are rotating Mathis, Freeney, and Jerry Hughes at the two OLB spots and of those three, Freeney has struggled the most in the transition to the 3-4. There was even talk this last week of Freeney possibly being cut due to his huge cap number this year and the emergence of Jerry Hughes, who is seemingly flourishing in the new 3-4 scheme. Freeney will most definitely not be playing every down and could possibly play the least of the three OLBs.
I never understand why teams don't pounce when other teams switch to the 3-4. Kampman, Mario Williams, and now Freeney were great 4-3 DEs who have been poor fits in a 3-4 transition, and some 4-3 teams just plod along with crap DEs when they could get these players at a huge discount. Couldn't Cincinnati have used a good DE for each of the last 10 years?

Users who are viewing this thread