What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do the Majority of Your Leagues give 4 or 6 pts per passing TD? (1 Viewer)

4 or 6

• 4 points per passing TD

Votes: 62 38.5%
  • 6 points per passing TD

Votes: 99 61.5%

• Total voters
Last edited by a moderator:
6pts..a td is a td is a td.... No?
No QB ever crossed the goal line while throwing a TD pass.
Steve Young did.
He didn't get 12 points.
In our league when Brad Johnson threw the TD to himself he did get double points: points for a TD throw and points for a TD reception.
Just like the NFL.I think not.
Who said fantasy ball should score just like the NFL. Most leagues give Defensive points to kick returns, and if you happen to start someone like Hester and Chicago's defense you get points for both.

Steve Young did.
He didn't get 12 points.
In our league when Brad Johnson threw the TD to himself he did get double points: points for a TD throw and points for a TD reception.
Who said fantasy ball should score just like the NFL. Most leagues give Defensive points to kick returns, and if you happen to start someone like Hester and Chicago's defense you get points for both.Of course. All my posts have been counteract the argument that some have used that passing td's should count as 6 points because "that's what they are in the NFL".

Every league I've ever played in does 6 points. A touchdown is a touchdown.
Some people just don't get it.It isn't TWO touchdowns!What you choose to do in Fantasy Football depends on what you want to achieve regarding the relative value of players. That's why you usually given different values to yardage gained rushing, passing and receiving. You also can give different values to touchdowns. Don' t argue NFL because they give zero points for a passing TD.The 6 points are scored by the receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:
A TD is worth 6 points.If the Qb throws it, it is still worth 6 points.In all of my leagues, they are either 6 points or I try every year to go to 6 points. 4 points is arbitrary and stupid, IMO.
The intent of 4 points for passing TD's is neither arbitrary or stupid. The intent is to make the QB/RB/WR positions be more equivalent in the pointsthat they score. This makes it more interesting for draft strategy when you may be just as likely to take a QB, RB, or WR in the first round. Ithink when you give 6 points for passing TD's then the QB's clearly score more than RB's and WR's, and it is almost crucial that you get a toppasser early in the draft. Since there are not 12 top passers, some teams get screwed.4 points per passing TD gives more options to build a good team even if you have a low first round draft pick.
The theory is flawed however due to supply and demand of QBs vs S/D of RBs and WRs. However a thorough explanation of the effect of supply and demand will take this thread way too far off topic. So I will just agree with Instinctive that 4 points is stupid
For each of the past 3 years, the difference between QB1 and QB12, between 4 pt passing TDs and 6 pt passing TDs...is approximately 2 ppg. That's all. And that doesn't account for the fact that the difference is even less sometimes because if you ranked the number of Passing TDs and then ranked the number of fantasy points, the lists would not be the same.For instance, in the 2008 season Drew Brees was QB1, and Matt Ryan was QB12 in my league's scoring system (completions and incompletions become a factor, so it is by no means standard). By the FBG standard scoring, Brees was QB1 and Ryan was QB16. We'll use them anyway.Brees: 34 TDsRyan: 16 TDs34 - 16 = 18 TD difference6 - 4 = 2 pt per TD difference18 * 2 = 36 points36 / 17 = 2.11 ppgIf you use Tyler Thigpen (the actual QB12 that year) and his 18 TDs...the difference is exactly 2 ppg. However, in between Thigpen and Ryan are Eli Manning and Brett Favre. 21 and 22 TDs, respectively (which means a sub 2 ppg difference).In closing, 4 ppg is absolutely arbitrary - if you don't think it's arbitrary, then you don;t know what the word means. There was no formula used that simply spat out the number 4. Somebody said "you know, I think QBs should have lower scores, so I'll devalue their TDs. How about 4?"In reality, it doesn't even make QBs any more or less important. RBs are more important regardless of TD value because you start 2+ RBs. WRs are more important because you start 2+ WRs. QBs are less important because the typical league only starts 12 in any given week, and there are always 32 out there starting for an NFL team. The only way to increase or decrease QB value is to add other things to their scoring that distinguishes top QBs from bottom QBs, such as points for accuracy, or to change the number started (e.g. 2 QB leagues), or to change the number of teams in a league, i.e. a top QB is worth more in a 14 league than a 12 team league, way more than a 10 team league, but less than in a 16 team league.Value is derived from positional scarcity, NOT pure point values. If every single RB scored 99, 100, or 101 points every week, but every QB scored a multiple of 4 from 0-128, the QBs would have more value than the RBs. Because 1 QB scoring 128 is worth more than 3 RBs scoring 101. If all three of your RBs have 101, you are getting somewhere between a 1 and 6 point advantage over the other combinations of RB scoring. If your QB scores 128, you have between a 4 and 44 point advantage over other QBs (I assume the top 12 QBs start, even though in reality the top 12 scoring QBs for a week are not always the 12 started).So the QB is more valuable in that scenario, because there is more variability in their scoring. In reality though, it is not just a couple QBs that get 6 for all TDs...EVERY QB gets 6 for their TDs. What changes value is positional scarcity.

Every league I've ever played in does 6 points. A touchdown is a touchdown.
Some people just don't get it.It isn't TWO touchdowns!What you choose to do in Fantasy Football depends on what you want to achieve regarding the relative value of players. That's why you usually given different values to yardage gained rushing, passing and receiving. You also can give different values to touchdowns. Don' t argue NFL because they give zero points for a passing TD.
So what you're saying is that a passing TD should be worth zero points?

A TD is worth 6 points.

If the Qb throws it, it is still worth 6 points.

In all of my leagues, they are either 6 points or I try every year to go to 6 points. 4 points is arbitrary and stupid, IMO.
The intent of 4 points for passing TD's is neither arbitrary or stupid. The intent is to make the QB/RB/WR positions be more equivalent in the pointsthat they score. This makes it more interesting for draft strategy when you may be just as likely to take a QB, RB, or WR in the first round. I

think when you give 6 points for passing TD's then the QB's clearly score more than RB's and WR's, and it is almost crucial that you get a top

passer early in the draft. Since there are not 12 top passers, some teams get screwed.

4 points per passing TD gives more options to build a good team even if you have a low first round draft pick.
The theory is flawed however due to supply and demand of QBs vs S/D of RBs and WRs. However a thorough explanation of the effect of supply and demand will take this thread way too far off topic. So I will just agree with Instinctive that 4 points is stupid
For each of the past 3 years, the difference between QB1 and QB12, between 4 pt passing TDs and 6 pt passing TDs...is approximately 2 ppg. That's all. And that doesn't account for the fact that the difference is even less sometimes because if you ranked the number of Passing TDs and then ranked the number of fantasy points, the lists would not be the same.For instance, in the 2008 season Drew Brees was QB1, and Matt Ryan was QB12 in my league's scoring system (completions and incompletions become a factor, so it is by no means standard). By the FBG standard scoring, Brees was QB1 and Ryan was QB16. We'll use them anyway.

Brees: 34 TDs

Ryan: 16 TDs

34 - 16 = 18 TD difference

6 - 4 = 2 pt per TD difference

18 * 2 = 36 points

36 / 17 = 2.11 ppg

If you use Tyler Thigpen (the actual QB12 that year) and his 18 TDs...the difference is exactly 2 ppg. However, in between Thigpen and Ryan are Eli Manning and Brett Favre. 21 and 22 TDs, respectively (which means a sub 2 ppg difference).

In closing, 4 ppg is absolutely arbitrary - if you don't think it's arbitrary, then you don;t know what the word means. There was no formula used that simply spat out the number 4. Somebody said "you know, I think QBs should have lower scores, so I'll devalue their TDs. How about 4?"

In reality, it doesn't even make QBs any more or less important. RBs are more important regardless of TD value because you start 2+ RBs. WRs are more important because you start 2+ WRs. QBs are less important because the typical league only starts 12 in any given week, and there are always 32 out there starting for an NFL team.

The only way to increase or decrease QB value is to add other things to their scoring that distinguishes top QBs from bottom QBs, such as points for accuracy, or to change the number started (e.g. 2 QB leagues), or to change the number of teams in a league, i.e. a top QB is worth more in a 14 league than a 12 team league, way more than a 10 team league, but less than in a 16 team league.

Value is derived from positional scarcity, NOT pure point values. If every single RB scored 99, 100, or 101 points every week, but every QB scored a multiple of 4 from 0-128, the QBs would have more value than the RBs. Because 1 QB scoring 128 is worth more than 3 RBs scoring 101. If all three of your RBs have 101, you are getting somewhere between a 1 and 6 point advantage over the other combinations of RB scoring. If your QB scores 128, you have between a 4 and 44 point advantage over other QBs (I assume the top 12 QBs start, even though in reality the top 12 scoring QBs for a week are not always the 12 started).

So the QB is more valuable in that scenario, because there is more variability in their scoring. In reality though, it is not just a couple QBs that get 6 for all TDs...EVERY QB gets 6 for their TDs. What changes value is positional scarcity.
I think you make a lot of good points, but when you factor in the consistency of an elite QB plus this additional 2 PPG bump, it really makes a difference in bringing their value up to par with the best tier 2 RBs and tier 1 WRs.

It's the consistency component that people typically severely undervalue, but it's also those marginal 2 PPG that help to bridge the valuation gap created against elite QBs by the lack of scarcity for starting QBs. Those marginal PPG are not as insignificant as you make them out to be IMO. It's most certainly a bump in VBD for elite QBs.

Goto 2QB league. Problem solved. But as someone said before, no 2 leagues have the exact same set of rules. Part of the beauty of FF, IMO.

For each of the past 3 years, the difference between QB1 and QB12, between 4 pt passing TDs and 6 pt passing TDs...is approximately 2 ppg. That's all. And that doesn't account for the fact that the difference is even less sometimes because if you ranked the number of Passing TDs and then ranked the number of fantasy points, the lists would not be the same.For instance, in the 2008 season Drew Brees was QB1, and Matt Ryan was QB12 in my league's scoring system (completions and incompletions become a factor, so it is by no means standard). By the FBG standard scoring, Brees was QB1 and Ryan was QB16. We'll use them anyway.Brees: 34 TDsRyan: 16 TDs34 - 16 = 18 TD difference6 - 4 = 2 pt per TD difference18 * 2 = 36 points36 / 17 = 2.11 ppgIf you use Tyler Thigpen (the actual QB12 that year) and his 18 TDs...the difference is exactly 2 ppg. However, in between Thigpen and Ryan are Eli Manning and Brett Favre. 21 and 22 TDs, respectively (which means a sub 2 ppg difference).In closing, 4 ppg is absolutely arbitrary - if you don't think it's arbitrary, then you don;t know what the word means. There was no formula used that simply spat out the number 4. Somebody said "you know, I think QBs should have lower scores, so I'll devalue their TDs. How about 4?"In reality, it doesn't even make QBs any more or less important. RBs are more important regardless of TD value because you start 2+ RBs. WRs are more important because you start 2+ WRs. QBs are less important because the typical league only starts 12 in any given week, and there are always 32 out there starting for an NFL team. The only way to increase or decrease QB value is to add other things to their scoring that distinguishes top QBs from bottom QBs, such as points for accuracy, or to change the number started (e.g. 2 QB leagues), or to change the number of teams in a league, i.e. a top QB is worth more in a 14 league than a 12 team league, way more than a 10 team league, but less than in a 16 team league.Value is derived from positional scarcity, NOT pure point values. If every single RB scored 99, 100, or 101 points every week, but every QB scored a multiple of 4 from 0-128, the QBs would have more value than the RBs. Because 1 QB scoring 128 is worth more than 3 RBs scoring 101. If all three of your RBs have 101, you are getting somewhere between a 1 and 6 point advantage over the other combinations of RB scoring. If your QB scores 128, you have between a 4 and 44 point advantage over other QBs (I assume the top 12 QBs start, even though in reality the top 12 scoring QBs for a week are not always the 12 started).So the QB is more valuable in that scenario, because there is more variability in their scoring. In reality though, it is not just a couple QBs that get 6 for all TDs...EVERY QB gets 6 for their TDs. What changes value is positional scarcity.
:goodposting:

My league has always used 6 pts for a passing TD (for 11 years now). However, we offset that by giving -3 for INT's (-3 for all turnovers). Our feeling is that a TD is a TD ... 6 pts. In addition, we award 1 pt for 30 yards passing.

We play with IDP's, and thus we also give +3 for INT's by the defensive player. We give +2 for a forced fumble, and +1 for a fumble recovery. The theory of the fumble recovery is that the forced fumble is the more important play ... anybody can fall on the ball once it's tumbling around. Tackles are 1 pt, assists are 0.5 pts. Sacks 2 pts. Passes defended are 2 pts.

Remaining scoring is standard ... 10 yards rushing/receiving per point, etc.

We use 6 PaTD for our 1QB leagues, and 4 PaTD for the 1QB+Superflex (essentially a 2nd QB) leagues.

The Superflex leagues are auctions, but if you equated top salaries to draft spots, we've have about 9 QBs and only a single WR taken in the first 24 spots (only 2 WR starters contributes to the low WR presence).

Steve Young did.
He didn't get 12 points.
that is why it is called fantasy

Goto 2QB league. Problem solved. But as someone said before, no 2 leagues have the exact same set of rules. Part of the beauty of FF, IMO.
curse of FF if you ask me.i wish there was a standardized book of ways to handle a league and other than league size we pretty much all adhered to it.would make life a lot easier when having conversations with fellow FF mates.as it stands now you have to describe your entire league setup and scoring system and rulebook to have a decent conversation about players.A 1 minute conversation becomes 10 min.

curse of FF if you ask me.i wish there was a standardized book of ways to handle a league and other than league size we pretty much all adhered to it.would make life a lot easier when having conversations with fellow FF mates.as it stands now you have to describe your entire league setup and scoring system and rulebook to have a decent conversation about players.A 1 minute conversation becomes 10 min.
If they were all the same, FF would fail. You'd NEVER have a consensus on what was the norm. Therefore people would grow bored with it and move on. FF is great because you can have any rules you want. Essentially, all FF discussions are going to be at least 10 mins anyway because each person has to explain where/why they drafted a guy, the game situation they were facing, the points they needed and the result. Adding rules in or not, the conversation is still going to be a long one.

as it stands now you have to describe your entire league setup and scoring system and rulebook to have a decent conversation about players.A 1 minute conversation becomes 10 min.
Oh no, our conversations about fantasy football might be too long!

with nearly 150 votes in....it appears that about 2 out of every 3 leagues uses 6 point per TD pass as opposed to 4.....

I would hope FBG would take a look at this again and think about using 6 as their base when writing aticles that discuss strategy.....

if the %'s were reversed I could see sticking with the 4 point base, but it seems pretty clear that 4 points is now in the minority and it would seem to make sense to cater the articles to the majority......the significance can still be debated, but if they are going to put so much time into an article like "The Perfect Draft" they might as well have it help the majority instead of the minority....here anyway....

Users who are viewing this thread