What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you tip the commish? (1 Viewer)

GreekFreak

Footballguy
I won the Superbowl in one of my leagues for the first time and was wondering if any of you guys tip the commish?

I won about $1800, was thinking of tossing him $50 for his time and effort.

Yea tip me damn it. No one has yet. Been commish for 8 or 10 years now. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
I commish my league because I enjoy it. I wouldn't accept a tip from the winner (although I've won my league the last two years). I would appreciate the gesture, but would tell them to keep their winnings and spend my "tip" on a dinner with the wife.

Collectively, all of the other GM'a in our league will buy the Commish a gift depending on his effort in that year. Our Commish puts out weekly wrap ups each week and coordinates our draft so he puts in a lot of time. However, he was pretty absent this season so he gets nothing.

I think any type of gesture should be a group thing with perhaps the winner tossing in more money.

No tip here but our league winner typically buys all the beer and booze for the next season's draft party. Usually a half barrel and a couple of bottles of something.

I commish a few leagues. One in particular is a dynasty that requires a lot of my time. I have to manually process waivers every week (stupid MFL won't support "Ebay" style bidding) as well as a complicated FA period during the month of April. I've never received a tip from any of the leagues that I commish, but for the rookie draft for the dynasty league we always meet at a bar or some place out, and everyone pitches in and picks up my tab. Plenty for me!

I'm a commish and the tip is nice, but I always say how about a couple of drinks instead. It's thoughtful to offer though.

If I get offered a tip for any league I commish I always turn it down. I enjoy managing it and make it clear that I don't expect anything out of it other than league members being active and not colluding.

Like one post above... Keep the money and take out you significant other for dinner.

GreekFreak said:
I won the Superbowl in one of my leagues for the first time and was wondering if any of you guys tip the commish?

Good Idea

A bit surprised by the comments. I've always tipped the commissioners in my local leagues when I've won (and I've never had them decline the offer, nor would I expect them to). Thought it was pretty standard practice. :shrug:

Insein said:
Yea tip me damn it. No one has yet. Been commish for 8 or 10 years now. :kicksrock:
agreed 6 years commish for me in 5-7 leauges and haven't received one either. They would be appreciated because their is a lot of time and dedication Commish has to put in to make the leauge go...... :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

I always have when I won it, I like our commish though, hes a buddy. Same way I spend hundreds on drinks at awards night for the league...

Some online commish that I didn't really know, sorry no I wouldn't

I would appreciate the gesture but would decline a "tip". If they bought me a bottle of something, I would accept that...

Never understand how cheap and inconsiderate some people are.

I am pretty Conservative (big surprise) and I don't understand why someone who won decent money wouldn't tip the person running the league? Commish is providing a service which ultimately benefited u, why the f wouldn't you tip them? Good business, good karma.

Don't want to turn this into anything political, but if there is a conservative or a libertarian who wouldn't tip I would love to hear the rational.

PS, Habsfan, a bottle of liquor and a tip are the same thing.

I commish my league because I enjoy it. I wouldn't accept a tip from the winner (although I've won my league the last two years). I would appreciate the gesture, but would tell them to keep their winnings and spend my "tip" on a dinner with the wife.
I've commished for years and have never been offered a tip, but I'd take it in heartbeat. I deal with a lot of headaches and some owners that are a pain in my ###. Yep. I wouldn't think twice about taking it. Won't happen, but I do feel like I deserve something for the grief and effort.

I am pretty Conservative (big surprise) and I don't understand why someone who won decent money wouldn't tip the person running the league? Commish is providing a service which ultimately benefited u, why the f wouldn't you tip them? Good business, good karma.

Don't want to turn this into anything political, but if there is a conservative or a libertarian who wouldn't tip I would love to hear the rational.

Libertarian here. My rationale is that I run leagues for my enjoyment and the good of the community. When I partake in the leagues others commish, I assume they are doing the same.

There is a job waiting for you in the Phenom thread. You could get a trip to Costa Rica or the Bahamas out of it too.

Never heard of tipping a commish. i guess in a dynasty league where there can be a lot of issues to deal with maybe, but in a re-draft league absolutely not.

I commish a re-draft league and there really isn't anything to do, it runs itself.

I've commished leagues for 17+ years and never really received a tip. it would be appreciated. This is my last year running leagues though.

Libertarian here. My rationale is that I run leagues for my enjoyment and the good of the community. When I partake in the leagues others commish, I assume they are doing the same.
Different perspective, but good enough imho.

Back in the day when we scored using USA Today, pre-internet - not only did we pay his league entry fee but he got $100 from the prize pool as a mandatory "tip". Now he still gets league entry fee but tipping is optional. Really, the only thing he has to do is renew league each year - everything else is done for him. Must be a nice gig.

I've commished for years and have never been offered a tip, but I'd take it in heartbeat. I deal with a lot of headaches and some owners that are a pain in my ###. Yep. I wouldn't think twice about taking it. Won't happen, but I do feel like I deserve something for the grief and effort.
I have run my league for 15+ years, and completely disagree. You are the commissioner because you want to be. If you don't want to run it, the league will suffer because it will be evident to the other owners that you don't care. The commissioner has to deal with headaches and problematic owners, yes, but that's part of the job. If all of the owners want to do something for the commissioner, like pick up his tab at the draft, that's fine, but a tip from the winner? I wouldn't take it. I certainly don't feel like I "deserve" anything.

I have run my league for 15+ years, and completely disagree. You are the commissioner because you want to be. If you don't want to run it, the league will suffer because it will be evident to the other owners that you don't care. The commissioner has to deal with headaches and problematic owners, yes, but that's part of the job. If all of the owners want to do something for the commissioner, like pick up his tab at the draft, that's fine, but a tip from the winner? I wouldn't take it. I certainly don't feel like I "deserve" anything.
To each his own certainly, but isn't the bolded true of virtually everyone who provides a service to you. The postman is a postman because they want to be, the person who delivers your newspaper or cuts your hair are doing it because they want to, not because they are forced to provide that service. Its all good, but ive always felt iIf the service is good you tip, that's how I roll.

I'm the same way. I've been doing it for 20+ years. I would never accept money. To each their own though.

Every year people in both of my leagues say thanks and that I did a great job again, so that's more than enough for me.

And I've run mine for closer to 20 years and never been tipped. I get blown lots of crap on all kinds of stuff, and while i definitely do think my efforts are worth something (ie the "deserve" comment), it's never been offered, but ya, I'd take it in NY second. I commish because my league mates know I'm fair and put the interests of the league ahead of my own, often to my own detriment, but moreso because one of my strengths is organizing things - getting the website set up, the rules, schedules input, loading the rosters, setting the league calendar, but also draft day itself. Setting up a place to have it, getting out annual golf outing set up, getting the auctioneer and his fee taken care (bottle of Grey Goose), and all that kind of stuff while no one else does any of it except show up. Frankly, I don't think it would run nearly as smoothly if I didn't do it, but it's not because I necessarily want to.

So given all that, yes, I do feel like I deserve something, but I've never asked or suggested it.

I see a bottle of liquor as a gift, a "thank you". I don't just monetize it and see it the same way.

You may see that as semantics but I don't. I'm not serving people and I don't see a commish/owner relationship as analogous to a server/client relationship.

I don't tip people for something I can do. I do tip my urologist because I cannot pulverize my own kidney stones. That is hard core right there.

Certainly not required or even suggested .... BUT if you have a great commish it's your choice and a helluva nice holiday present from you

GreekFreak said:

Sure, that's a nice gesture if you want to do it.

Though in my league, the commish has been coasting for years, so there's not much effort to reward.

you non-tippers are tight wads and court bad karma.

Its also a tremendous pain, at least in my circles, to coordinate payment and a draft date.

I give 5-10 percent

Been a commish fot 16 years in one league now.

Never been offered a tip, but would decline any tip offered.

Accepting one could givd the impression of impropriety. I am rarely called upon to make judgements or interpretations of rules. But, still, I don't want anybody thinkin I'm on the take.

Users who are viewing this thread