What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doctor violently dragged from full United flight (1 Viewer)

Flew United to Atlanta on Thursday. No one got beaten, but several people deserved it. Bunch of dumbasses couldn't read their boarding passes and sat in the wrong seats.  :angry:

Chicago Tribune, 6/7/2017:

United Airlines is barring fewer people from boarding its planes following lingering public uproar over the carrier's handling of a passenger who refused to give up his seat on a flight in April.

The Chicago-based airline's "involuntary denied boardings" — which can occur when not enough passengers on an overbooked flight volunteer to be bumped — were down 79 percent year over year in May, according to a Wednesday news release

Until it's down 100%, they're still a POS airline. There should be people with seat reservations, and those on stand by. Customers understand both of those concepts. They don't understand how they can have a seat reservation but not end up with a seat. 

UA may have messed up, but JFC some people are such babies. Pain and suffering for having to hold your two year old on your lap? I've had to sit next to people who's fat fell over the arm rest onto me.

I kind of believe UA that they didn't scan his ticket and gave up the seat. She says a flight attendant came by and asked if her son was on the flight but she didn't seem to respond because she was afraid based on the doctor incident. Seriously? Sounds like if she said he was right here that they wouldn't have given up his seat. 

UA may have messed up, but JFC some people are such babies. Pain and suffering for having to hold your two year old on your lap? I've had to sit next to people who's fat fell over the arm rest onto me.
Guy, she paid $1,000 for that seat, and a kid on your lap for a Hawaii to Houston flight is no joke.  

Sucks for her and her "small stature" or whatever, but I would  have been thankful that I didn't HAVE to shell out a grand for my 2 year old to have a seat, and a future voucher on top of it. 

A grand + in my pocket to hold my kid for 4 hours?  Ok.  I could do that for a job also. 

How come none of these "terrible" things ever happen to me :porked:

I kind of believe UA that they didn't scan his ticket and gave up the seat. She says a flight attendant came by and asked if her son was on the flight but she didn't seem to respond because she was afraid based on the doctor incident. Seriously? Sounds like if she said he was right here that they wouldn't have given up his seat. 
Incorrect.

Once they were seated, a United flight attendant came to see if Yamauchi’s son, Taizo, who was in his seat, was on the plane.
a man who was a standby passenger approached her and said her son was in his seat. She said she notified a flight attendant about the confusion but, “She shrugged and said the flight is full.”
Yamauchi said she did not try to alert another flight attendant due to recent problems on United aircrafts, such as the April incident where a doctor was forcibly removed from his seat

This airline is the worst. How many times do they have to screw up to figure this out? Ever hear Southwest making these blunders? 

Guy, she paid $1,000 for that seat, and a kid on your lap for a Hawaii to Houston flight is no joke.  
:goodposting:

When my kids were under 1yr old, the sit-in-your-lap for free policy is nice.  Somewhere in that 1-2yr range, it starts to suck, but I did it because $.  When they were about to hit 2, I really started questioning my decision to save money.  After 2, I was kind of relieved the airlines take the decision away from me :D

You don't really know how little space there is between you and the seat in front of you until you squeeze another person in that space.  Want to use the tray? Ha.  Have fun keeping your kid from constantly kicking the seat in front of you.  Enjoy your kid squirming the whole flight to get comfortable, digging elbows and skull into your abdomen for hours on end.

I don't blame the lady being pissed.

I disagree with all of this.

Had a similar AWFUL experience just now, thigh on AA.

No ####### wifi.  Seriously, are we nothing but chattel!

I disagree with all of this.
Awesome. She said the flight attendant asked if her kid boarded. Why did she not answer that question? She basically is saying to trust her that they scanned it properly and that she was scared to say anything because of the doctor getting pulled off the flight. Sorry, but I call BS. Why did a flight attendant even ask, because obviously they didn't think her kid had boarded. Not rocket science. Flight comp'd and another free flight voucher seems like more than enough for the torture of having your 25 pound kid (OMG, he comes up to her belly button) for a 3 1/2 hour flight (not from Hawaii to Houston) because you didn't tell the flight attendant that yes, your kid is on the plane.

Incorrect.

Once they were seated, a United flight attendant came to see if Yamauchi’s son, Taizo, who was in his seat, was on the plane.
a man who was a standby passenger approached her and said her son was in his seat. She said she notified a flight attendant about the confusion but, “She shrugged and said the flight is full.”
Yamauchi said she did not try to alert another flight attendant due to recent problems on United aircrafts, such as the April incident where a doctor was forcibly removed from his seat
What's incorrect? There is nothing that says that she responded to the flight attendant about her son being on the plane. You missed that part. She "notified" a flight attendant about the confusion once someone said her son was in his seat. You are missing the disconnect which is that after the flight attended came to see if her son was on the plane, they then gave away his seat to a person on stand-by. I don't see anything in the article that says she actually said yes, my son is on the flight and here's his boarding pass. She happens to mention that she knows it was scanned, but if it was, they wouldn't give away his seat, would they?

Also, why did you bold "another" when she said she didn't say anything else? That another has to do with the 2nd flight attendant she notified after the "confusion." Honestly, that seems to make my point that she never notified the first flight attendant who came to see if her son was on the plane a bit stronger. Oh, I was scared of being thrown off the plane so I didn't say anything until after I got off the flight and then UA refunded my flight cost and gave me another free flight, but that isn't enough for the torture I endured holding my 25 pound son for 3 1/2 hours while sitting down.

Sorry, but this is nothing like the doctor who should never have been pulled off his flight. That is 100% different and legitimate. This is a women trying to milk the lawsuit teet hoping UA will give her some $$$ to be quiet.

Flew United this weekend. Going out was fine but coming home on Sunday was pretty terrible. The plane coming in was late and then they changed gates on us twice (one of the changes was on the complete opposite side of the airport). When we finally did board, there was another 40 minute delay for maintenance checks (obviously I'd rather be safe than sorry) and then another 20 minutes of waiting in line. There were also probably 6 flights worth of people waiting at a bay of 4 gates, so it was total pandemonium.

I was only slightly inconvenienced (I was heading home and didn't really care when I got there) but several of my fellow passengers got totally screwed. There was a group of 5 or 6 people that were supposed to fly from Cincinnati to Scotland on Friday but their flight had been cancelled. So they had been re-routed to DC so that they could fly to NJ and catch the last flight to Scotland. But the delay caused them to miss their plane.  The guy sitting behind me also missed a connecting flight and when they told him he would, the flight attendant told him he could get off the plane (so he could just stay home in DC rather than fly to NJ and be forced to get a hotel) but when he actually went to get off, they wouldn't open the door.

I mean...i get it. Its a super complicated business with a million potential ways to inconvenience your customers. But it just really seems like common sense is way too rare with these sorts of situations.

Officers fired after investigation

The Office of Inspector General said in the report that as a result of the office’s findings and recommendations, the Aviation Department fired an officer who “improperly escalated the incident” and a sergeant involved in removing facts from a report. The inspector general report does not identify the officers.

The report says the investigation by the Office of Inspector General found three security officers and a sergeant used excessive force and “made misleading statements and deliberately removed material facts from their reports” on the April 9 incident.

“The use of excessive force caused the passenger to hit his face on an armrest, resulting in a concussion, a broken nose, and the loss of two teeth,” the report said.

Good find, Vandy Man. The Dao incident is largely forgotten by the public ... but the wheels of justice grind on anyway.

I wish I had the experiences of those who fly frequently -- really curious if anything about the relationship between airline crews and passengers has changed noticeably in recent months.

Users who are viewing this thread