What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does DeMarcus Ware break Mark Gastineau's season record for sacks? (1 Viewer)

Does DeMarcus Ware break Mark Gastineau's single season record for sacks?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not this year, but eventually

• Bacon

• Total voters

Steady Mooobin

Footballguy
52.5 sacks in 62 games. 19 sacks so far this year. The (Strahan's) record is 22.5 so he needs 4 sacks to break it with two games to go. Either way, DeMarcus is well on his way to being one of the best sack artists of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually after a review of his game film, Deacon's "unofficial" sack totals in 1967 and 1968 were reduced from 26 and 24 to 22 and 21, respectively - so I don't think he would be recognized today as the all time leader. Though he amassed those numbers in only 14 games.

I'm more interested in the # 200, career.

I'd say yes to both.

Although it's entirely possible that Mario or Tuck take the career record. If Tuck hadn't gotten a later start, he'd have a very good chance IMO.

For this year, with Baltimore and Philly left, both below average in pass protection, he has a good chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually after a review of his game film, Deacon's "unofficial" sack totals in 1967 and 1968 were reduced from 26 and 24 to 22 and 21, respectively - so I don't think he would be recognized today as the all time leader. Though he amassed those numbers in only 14 games.
Interesting. Do you know if NFL Films ever did a show on it? I thought that I had seen/read somewhere once that it was proven, but I must have been mistaken. 22 sacks in 14 games is still worthy of a Roger Maris *.Thanks for the correction. :thumbup:

Interesting. Do you know if NFL Films ever did a show on it? I thought that I had seen/read somewhere once that it was proven, but I must have been mistaken. 22 sacks in 14 games is still worthy of a Roger Maris *.Thanks for the correction. :(
Heres an article written by Paul Zimmerman where the issue is discussed. Keep in mind all of this is unnofficial, but its pretty good analysis nonetheless.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/maga...hers.flashback/

Heres more in Zimmermans book about the 1970's which was released in 2005.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/maga...hers.flashback/

Interesting. Do you know if NFL Films ever did a show on it? I thought that I had seen/read somewhere once that it was proven, but I must have been mistaken. 22 sacks in 14 games is still worthy of a Roger Maris *.Thanks for the correction. :cry:
Heres an article written by Paul Zimmerman where the issue is discussed. Keep in mind all of this is unnofficial, but its pretty good analysis nonetheless.http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/maga...hers.flashback/

Heres more in Zimmermans book about the 1970's which was released in 2005.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/maga...hers.flashback/
Good read, thanks.

i dont know about the original question, but he's got the inside track on defensive player of the year, after last wk.

I love Deacon Jones, but imagine how many sacks Reggie White would have had if he could have punched the OLineman in the head.

I see I'm bucking the trend here, but I just don't think 4 sacks in 2 games is enough for me to vote "yes."

Users who are viewing this thread