What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does your league reshuffle divisions? (1 Viewer)

I've been advocating for reshuffling divisions in a $100 league for the past few seasons due to competitive advantage, it gets shot down each year by the rest of the league. It needs a 2/3 vote, last year it was 5-5 vote.

Over a 4 year time span here is the average points per division per week:

Division 1= 121.9

Division 2= 135.3

Division 3= 124.4

A team from division 1 has won the championship the last 3 years. This past season I finished 3rd in total points, but missed the playoffs. The division leader in division 1 finished 7th in total points. It's frustrating to play against the top competition(3 extra games in division), have a great team and watch another team play a cupcake schedule. Again this isn't about one season, it's over a 4 year time period. It honestly feels like the SEC, Big Ten, and MAC...but the MAC can get into the BCS title game.

Do you guys rotate teams?

How do you determine the new divisions?

How can I convince my league?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been advocating for reshuffling divisions in a $100 league for the past few seasons due to competitive advantage, it gets shot down each year by the rest of the league. It needs a 2/3 vote, last year it was 5-5 vote.Over a 4 year time span here is the average points per division per week:Division 1= 121.9Division 2= 135.3Division 3= 124.4A team from division 1 has won the championship the last 3 years. This past season I finished 3rd in total points, but missed the playoffs. The division leader in division 1 finished 7th in total points. It's frustrating to play against the top competition(3 extra games in division), have a great team and watch another team play a cupcake schedule. Again this isn't about one season, it's over a 4 year time period. It honestly feels like the SEC, Big Ten, and MAC...but the MAC can get into the BCS title game. Do you guys rotate teams?How do you determine the new divisions?How can I convince my league?
Don't do divisions.HTH.

I've been advocating for reshuffling divisions in a $100 league for the past few seasons due to competitive advantage, it gets shot down each year by the rest of the league. It needs a 2/3 vote, last year it was 5-5 vote.Over a 4 year time span here is the average points per division per week:Division 1= 121.9Division 2= 135.3Division 3= 124.4A team from division 1 has won the championship the last 3 years. This past season I finished 3rd in total points, but missed the playoffs. The division leader in division 1 finished 7th in total points. It's frustrating to play against the top competition(3 extra games in division), have a great team and watch another team play a cupcake schedule. Again this isn't about one season, it's over a 4 year time period. It honestly feels like the SEC, Big Ten, and MAC...but the MAC can get into the BCS title game. Do you guys rotate teams?How do you determine the new divisions?How can I convince my league?
Hah my one league realigns divisions based on performance which sounds like something you would absolutely loath!Top 4 Teams in total points go to Div 1.Middle 4 to Div 2.Bottom 4 to Div 3.The top two teams from each division to go the playoffs.H2H!

Don't do divisions.HTH.
we rotate divisions every year, Dynasty, $300per team, since 1998. First few years we kept the same. I have always fought to keep the same division to build rivalries, but only have a couple other guys feel the same. Wouldn't bother me either way, and I would imagine if you were in the other division it wouldn't be a concern to you either. In the end it's all a crapshoot anyway.

Hah my one league realigns divisions based on performance which sounds like something you would absolutely loath!Top 4 Teams in total points go to Div 1.Middle 4 to Div 2.Bottom 4 to Div 3.The top two teams from each division to go the playoffs.H2H!
It couldn't get much worse honestly. 3 years ago I was the points champ, but 3rd in division.

Don't do divisions.HTH.
we rotate divisions every year, Dynasty, $300per team, since 1998. First few years we kept the same. I have always fought to keep the same division to build rivalries, but only have a couple other guys feel the same. Wouldn't bother me either way, and I would imagine if you were in the other division it wouldn't be a concern to you either. In the end it's all a crapshoot anyway.
In my other leagues we rotate and sometimes I get the good end, other times the bad end. However, when it's consistently(4 years) like this, i'm not going to be ignorant of the advantage and disagree on reshuffling.

I am one that stands fairly firm that divisions should not be shuffled, but to each league their own. I like the rivalry created between teams and strength of teams change over time if your league is set up correctly. Also, what does the strength of division have to do with winning the title? Champions still have to beat the other strong teams in the playoffs. I don't like the randomness that switching up divisions could create. Check out my league, of which I am in division 1:ALL PLAY RECORDS for 2012:Division 1: 365-195Division 2: 287-274Division 3: 258-303Division 4: 212-349This dynasty league has been around for 5 complete years and the winner has come from division 1 THREE TIMES and division 2 TWO TIMES. In fact the Super Bowls participants have been from division 1 and division 2 every single year! Year after year division 1 is by far the strongest division and division 2 is the second strongest. Division 3 and 4 are making a strong push these next few years with strong rookie drafts, etc.....so why switch it up? It's like saying the NFC North and NFC East have been so strong for so many years and the NFC West has sucked. Well now the NFC West has arguably the two srongest and youngest teams in the NFC with SF and SEA. If your team is truly worthy of winning it all, you would make the playoffs no matter what. I've had to scratch my way into the playoffs every single year so far and I love it! I think no matter what every league has an owner who feels slighted. My suggestion is to stop wasting your time and energy complaining about the divisions and find a way to improve your team.

last years divisions winners have a division draft.

Fun way to make fun of the crappy teams, shakes things up, and keeps divisions fresh

The way we do it: 12 team, 3 division. The winners of their divisions (via head 2 head record) are in the playoffs then the next 3 seeds are given to the teams highest in total points regrdless of what division their in. Its kind of a hybrid system of head to head and total points.

Yeah divisions suck. My one league has been around for two seasons and the winner in one division has finished with a 7-6 and a 6-7 record. They get the 3 seed, while other ten win teams get the 4 and 5 seed. Then they lose first round, and get a better draft pick because their record sucks.

12 Team league, 3 division, 4 teams each: we use the final Power Rankings on MFL to rearrange our divisions every 3 years. We wanted a somewhat impartial way of determining the alignment. Essentially 1,4,7,10 in one division; 2,5,8,11; and 3,6,9,12. It's been fun.

I am not a fan of divisions too much.

I am in a 12 team league that shuffles divisions each year based on prior year's performance. That league has a lot of non-standard rules since it has been around since the early 90s.

10 team dynasty league. 2 divisions of 5. You play each division rival twice, and each of the other 5 teams once - total of 13 games in regular season.

Each season we remake divisions from "top 5" teams from previous year in one division, the "bottom 5" in the other. Each year we have a team with horrible schedule or injury luck end up in the bottom division, and tear it up the following year with the easier schedule.

If your team is truly worthy of winning it all, you would make the playoffs no matter what. I've had to scratch my way into the playoffs every single year so far and I love it! I think no matter what every league has an owner who feels slighted. My suggestion is to stop wasting your time and energy complaining about the divisions and find a way to improve your team.
I finished 3rd(out of 12) in league scoring, could I really do that much more? A few years ago I was league scoring champ and was 3rd in my division, could I really do that much more? Only because you asked for me to improve my team, pretty sure that's a playoff teamStafford/DaltonMartin/Mathews/DMC/BradshawCruz/Marshall/Fitz/S. JohnsonVD/RudolphBears/Seattle

Dynasty league, we've reshuffled divisions twice in the last 15 years. But both reshufflings were for geographic reasons, we have "east", "west", "north", "south" divisions (16 team league) and eventually guys move around enough for the current divisions to be silly so we'll vote on new realignments.

Regarding the competitiveness, I'd say give it time. I remember the last time we reshuffled it looked like I was going to be in the cupcake division as the other three guys in my division had been bottom-feeders for the last few years but that hasn't been the case. In the three years under this realignment, our division has won the championship all three years and all four of us have been in the upper half of the league for points scored.

Also it doesn't matter how cupcake your division is, you still have to play against teams in other divisions during the regular season and you still have to beat teams from other divisions to win the title (usually, assuming H2H).

If your team is truly worthy of winning it all, you would make the playoffs no matter what. I've had to scratch my way into the playoffs every single year so far and I love it! I think no matter what every league has an owner who feels slighted. My suggestion is to stop wasting your time and energy complaining about the divisions and find a way to improve your team.
I finished 3rd(out of 12) in league scoring, could I really do that much more? A few years ago I was league scoring champ and was 3rd in my division, could I really do that much more? Only because you asked for me to improve my team, pretty sure that's a playoff teamStafford/DaltonMartin/Mathews/DMC/BradshawCruz/Marshall/Fitz/S. JohnsonVD/RudolphBears/Seattle
If you're not making the playoffs, shouldn't your team be getting stronger via a higher draft pick? So therefore benefiting from being in the "stronger" division? Teams that normally should not be making the playoffs, but do so because of a "weak" division won't benefit in the long run, because they won't get the higher draft pick they need to improve their team. There was a team that in our league that made the playoffs every year but never finished higher then 4th. So he never finished in the money round, but never finished low enough to get a good draft pick and is constantly missing out on the elite players at the top of the rookie draft.Simply put, bad teams need to lose, to stop becoming bad teams (assuming they keep their own picks).My main dynasty has 2 divisions. Each division winner gets a bye. 2nd place of each division take 3rd/4th seed. And 5th/6th seed are given to the highest two remaining total points regardless of record/division. It has worked really well for us, and everyone loves it. You can have a lucky schedule and sneak into the playoffs with a 1st/2nd place division record. But if your hth record sucks because of most points against, but still finish 4th in your division, you can still leap frog into playoffs. In the last 6 seasons only once did someone that finished in the top 4 overall points not make the playoffs. And that was due to an extremely unlucky where 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th overall were in the same division, and the team that finished with high points swept them all in their h2h. And 2nd/3rd high points overall took the "wildcard" spots. Hmm, guess I went off on a tangent. We reshuffle every 3 years. But I'd prefer to keep divisions the same.

Dynasty league, we've reshuffled divisions twice in the last 15 years. But both reshufflings were for geographic reasons, we have "east", "west", "north", "south" divisions (16 team league) and eventually guys move around enough for the current divisions to be silly so we'll vote on new realignments.

Regarding the competitiveness, I'd say give it time. I remember the last time we reshuffled it looked like I was going to be in the cupcake division as the other three guys in my division had been bottom-feeders for the last few years but that hasn't been the case. In the three years under this realignment, our division has won the championship all three years and all four of us have been in the upper half of the league for points scored.

Also it doesn't matter how cupcake your division is, you still have to play against teams in other divisions during the regular season and you still have to beat teams from other divisions to win the title (usually, assuming H2H).
1) You say give it time, it's been 4 years and those are the #'s. Everyone in my division has kept the same ownership, while the other divisions have new owners.2) What about those other 3 games you play each the teams in your division again? In this case that's a 13.4 point difference between the top and bottom division. That's the difference between starting AP each week vs Jacquizz Rodgers in 2012.

3 games within division per year X 4 years = 12

12 X 13.4 point differential = 160.8 points

Again lets remember that's the average...not the best team or worst team...average per division. 160.8 points is the difference between Calvin Johnson and Anquan Boldin in 2012. So over time, yes it matters.

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Bradshaw, marshall, fitz, vernon davis were all acquired at the trade deadline last year. You cant list them when they were only on the roster the last three weeks. You just acquired stafford a week agoListing those guys skews in your favor

'benson_will_lead_the_way said:
Bradshaw, marshall, fitz, vernon davis were all acquired at the trade deadline last year. You cant list them when they were only on the roster the last three weeks. You just acquired stafford a week agoListing those guys skews in your favor
1) The point of this thread isn't about MY team. It's about should divisions be reshuffled, is the competitive imbalance jeopardized, what do other leagues do to reshuffle etc.2) The only reason I listed my team is because Carl Eller said I should focus on improving my team...not sure how much more I could improve to be honest. My individual team shouldn't matter, but how many points were scored by it. Yes I did make a trade at the deadline that I was hoping would put me over the edge...good thing Fitz/VD/Bradshaw carried me down the stretch :rolleyes:Since you're in my league, why don't you weigh in on this?

in my 16 teamer we just reshuffle after the 1st 5 yrs and voted to do it every 3; the 4 highest scoring teams in those 3 yrs will be placed into their own division and the other 12 will be randomly selected. This is a standard league and it was noticed that certain teams were repeatedly winning their division so we wanted to change up their competition.

my other leagues that have divisions are contract league with high turnover of players so there hasn't been much of an issues

16 teamer here and one of the guys in the league has created a schedule whereby you play your own division twice, one other division and then all the other teams that finished in the same spot as you e.g. All division winners play each other, losers play losers.

Works quite well.

Odd # drafting team goes in one division and the even # drafting team goes into the other. These are based upon draft position before any trades.

Commish of said league here. Ironically the op had the best division record at 4-2, but went 3-4 against the rest of the league.

My local league has 12 teams with four divisions of three teams each. Division 1 is made up of the other three division winners from the previous year.

The three teams that were previously in Division 1 (which we call the Champions Division) are redistributed, one to each of the other divisions, based on their record - strongest to strongest, etc. - provided that it is not the division that they were in prior to being in the Champions Division.

This mixes up the competition pretty well, and since we are all friends, that's a good thing. For us, at least. It has also resulted in some very tight playoff races each of the last two years.

'Spanky24 said:
Every 3 years we reshuffle divisions. And we just draw for them. Totally random.
I'm in a few leagues that do this. In both of the leagues the divisions were re-drawn using the draft pick randomizer on fftoolbox. In one of the leagues, there is a provision that there are too many of the same teams in the divisions, then it is re-drawn.

Don't do divisions.HTH.
My preferred solution.

We reshuffle our redraft league every year according to the random draft order.

Division 1: Picks 1,4,7,10

Division 2: Picks 2, 5, 8, 11

Division 3: Picks 3, 6, 9, 12

Without controls like reshuffling, divisions are an arbitrary way to affect the balance of power in a league. I don't get the division rivalry thing, which is tied to the "that's the way it is in the NFL" argument. Our teams don't have fans. We don't represent cities or geographic regions. It's fantasy football - not real life. Teams that vote against reshuffling tend to be teams that benefit from it. That should tell you all you need to know.

last years divisions winners have a division draft.Fun way to make fun of the crappy teams, shakes things up, and keeps divisions fresh
I like this idea, i'll bring it up as a proposal
definitely the way to go. you have a sense of who is good, who sucks, who makes moves, who likes all youth, etc when drafting teams.Definitely makes it fun and gives the early teams picked a chip on their shoulder since they are considered horrible. lol

Our league hasn’t realigned in 17 years

9 of 12 owners must agree to realign and I don’t think it ever gets more than 3 or 4 votes

It’s not a dynasty league we only keep 2 players

Yes and love it

Most are dynasty teams and done based on final standings

Division 1: Team 1,4,7,10

Division 2: Team 2, 5, 8, 11

Division 3: Team 3, 6, 9, 12

Rivalries in division is laughable. I have 11 rivalries and if you really need to beat me do it in the playoffs when it matters

Rivalries in division is laughable. I have 11 rivalries and if you really need to beat me do it in the playoffs when it matters
If u think this way then y have divisions?
Cause most of the other owners like divisions ( playoff tiebreakers, etc). I only have one vote for rule changes. And it makes scheduling make more sense unless you have an eleven week schedule. You have to play some teams twice and ot might as well be teams who are in your division that year

I can see a good argument for shuffling divisions in a big money league.

But in general I'd rather keep divisions the same for the rivalry aspect. Of course it helps if you actually set up the divisions based on existing rivalries. One of my leagues the divisions started out random, but some rivalries have grown up from them.

But the other league really has great rivalries thanks to two of the divisions being 2 different groups who went to college together, while the other division are guys who worked together. For the most part at least, over the years we've had some owners change but it's still mostly true. And those guys competing with their college buddies I think would resist any change to the divisions.

Some of my leagues have it and some do not. I don't have a huge preference but I think I prefer having them stay the same. If you think about the way the rookie draft works, those teams that are poor should not be poor in future years. So it should all balance out as you are giving those poor teams higher picks.

I've voted to pass reshuffling in several leagues where all the owners seem to want it done cause I didn't care much.

Some of my leagues have it and some do not. I don't have a huge preference but I think I prefer having them stay the same. If you think about the way the rookie draft works, those teams that are poor should not be poor in future years. So it should all balance out as you are giving those poor teams higher picks.

I've voted to pass reshuffling in several leagues where all the owners seem to want it done cause I didn't care much.
Considering it hasn't changed in 4 years, it seems to be a pattern. Here is why: This division has more owner turnover than any other, mainly because they're the worst teams. Then the new owner comes in, guts the team or makes it the way they want...doesn't work and leaves. For example, new owner took over worst team in the league just after this past season. He's moved: David Wilson, Justin Blackmon, Michael Crabtree, Pierre Garcon, 1.1 for Aaron Rodgers(Romo is his backup), BJGE, Daryl Richardson, Danario Alexander.

Considering it hasn't changed in 4 years, it seems to be a pattern. Here is why: This division has more owner turnover than any other, mainly because they're the worst teams. Then the new owner comes in, guts the team or makes it the way they want...doesn't work and leaves. For example, new owner took over worst team in the league just after this past season. He's moved: David Wilson, Justin Blackmon, Michael Crabtree, Pierre Garcon, 1.1 for Aaron Rodgers(Romo is his backup), BJGE, Daryl Richardson, Danario Alexander.
You've taken advantage of this phenomenon as well:The Juice gave up Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB; Year 2012 Round 2 Draft Pick from The Juice ;Year 2012 Round 3 Draft Pick from The Juice

Warrior Panthers gave up Jones, Julio ATL WR; Year 2012 Round 1 Draft Pick from Warrior Panthers;Year 2012 Round 2 Draft Pick from Warrior Panthers

Warrior Panthers went on to win the league anyways.

You've taken advantage of this phenomenon as well:The Juice gave up Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB; Year 2012 Round 2 Draft Pick from The Juice ;Year 2012 Round 3 Draft Pick from The Juice

Warrior Panthers gave up Jones, Julio ATL WR; Year 2012 Round 1 Draft Pick from Warrior Panthers;Year 2012 Round 2 Draft Pick from Warrior Panthers

1) Is the point of this my team or my trades? No2) Yes I will improve my team if the opportunity presents itself.

3) Look in the mirror. You gave up Danario Alexander + 1.8 for Crabtree + 2.3

Yeah divisions suck. My one league has been around for two seasons and the winner in one division has finished with a 7-6 and a 6-7 record. They get the 3 seed, while other ten win teams get the 4 and 5 seed. Then they lose first round, and get a better draft pick because their record sucks.
Haha, this has been my team at least twice. I love bull####ting my way into the wildcard.

Of course it will get voted down. The average teams in those cupcake divisions would like to see all those good teams jumbled together with you in that tough division.

Even the cupcakes vote it down so that they will have a chance to slip into the playoffs.

I definitely like re-aligning divisions. Rivalries are inevitable, they will come.

1) Is the point of this my team or my trades? No2) Yes I will improve my team if the opportunity presents itself.

3) Look in the mirror. You gave up Danario Alexander + 1.8 for Crabtree + 2.3
Crabtree side for me

Who gives a #### about rivalries? It's not real you know. The goal is to predict the best statistics. The best person at doing this should be rewarded.

I commish two leagues and we reshuffle in both.

1 - 12 teams 3 divisions. 3 Division winners and next best 2 make the playoffs. The top 4 teams make divion A the next season, the next 4 division B and the bottom 4 division C. This has worked well for over a decade. The shuffle guarantees that one of the top 4 teams will not make the playoff next season and one of the bottom 4 will as a division winner.

2 - 12 teams 2 divisions. Top 2 in each division and next best 4 make the playoffs. The top 6 teams make up the top division the next season.

Users who are viewing this thread