What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donald Brown, RB, Indianapolis Colts (1 Viewer)

Heehee, ok. A Colts fan here, albeit a green one.

The new OC is Bruce Arians, so we like to focus a bit on Arian's history in Pits. He primarily works with bruising back like Bettis. But the last decade he worked with FWP, Mendenhall, and last year Redman. I don't see Brown being similar to any of those backs, but could be closest to Redman.

After watching the pre-season game (yes i know, you really can't gain much from pre-season), Brown seems comfortable as he's not asked to pass block too much, because Luck got legs.

I'm in favor of taking Brown with my 7th or 8th pick in a 12 team league. In a 10 team, i'm more apt to wait till mid 8 or rd 9.

I do believe Brown can outperform his ADP, but drafting him higher than 6th is not something I would do, as there are still guys like Stewart, DeAngelo, Tate and Spiller that I would take ahead of Brown

The new OC is Bruce Arians, so we like to focus a bit on Arian's history in Pits. He primarily works with bruising back like Bettis. But the last decade he worked with FWP, Mendenhall, and last year Redman. I don't see Brown being similar to any of those backs, but could be closest to Redman.

After watching the pre-season game (yes i know, you really can't gain much from pre-season), Brown seems comfortable as he's not asked to pass block too much, because Luck got legs.

I'm in favor of taking Brown with my 7th or 8th pick in a 12 team league. In a 10 team, i'm more apt to wait till mid 8 or rd 9.

I do believe Brown can outperform his ADP, but drafting him higher than 6th is not something I would do, as there are still guys like Stewart, DeAngelo, Tate and Spiller that I would take ahead of Brown
As both a Brown owner and a long-time Steeler's homer, I feel like I can chime in on this a bit.I don't think Arians was ever the OC while Bettis was still in Pittsburgh, but Arians does seem to favor traditional 2 down runners with a different back to handle 3rd down duties, not that Arians ever threw to the RB anyway. Honestly, I've never understood why he was like that, especially once they got Mendenhall, a guy that showed in college that he's a competent receiver that works well in space.

Of the backs that Arians has worked with, I'd say that Brown compares most favorably to Willie Parker. They're very similar sizes (FWP 5'10" 209lbs, Brown 5'10" 210lbs) and they both have a bit of a perception as more competent outside than inside runners, deservedly or not. But hey, being compared to a guy that put up some very excellent seasons is never a bad thing. I don't see any reason to believe that Brown can't have a season similar to what Parker was capable of: about 1200 yards, 7ish TDs, and no more than 30 receptions.

As both a Brown owner and a long-time Steeler's homer, I feel like I can chime in on this a bit.I don't think Arians was ever the OC while Bettis was still in Pittsburgh, but Arians does seem to favor traditional 2 down runners with a different back to handle 3rd down duties, not that Arians ever threw to the RB anyway. Honestly, I've never understood why he was like that, especially once they got Mendenhall, a guy that showed in college that he's a competent receiver that works well in space.

Of the backs that Arians has worked with, I'd say that Brown compares most favorably to Willie Parker. They're very similar sizes (FWP 5'10" 209lbs, Brown 5'10" 210lbs) and they both have a bit of a perception as more competent outside than inside runners, deservedly or not. But hey, being compared to a guy that put up some very excellent seasons is never a bad thing. I don't see any reason to believe that Brown can't have a season similar to what Parker was capable of: about 1200 yards, 7ish TDs, and no more than 30 receptions.
Being a former FWP/Mendenhall owner, i gotta disagree with that statement. I have screamed at the TV enough times that Mewelde Moore is stealing my fantasy production

the bottom line with brown is that he is probably a jag who might be an accumulator due to circumstantial workload.the problem is, a lot of people are peeing themselves due to an 8th round adp, which is fiction, and some damage he did in a couple perfect storm situations that he might not see much of next year.at the end of the year his 70 ypg might add up to a decent figure, but on any given week there are probably better options on your roster that will be on your bench because you took brown in the 4th and locked him in.people are getting carried away because they see him as buried treasure -- but I don't think he's buried, and I don't think he's treasure.he's basically a guy who's maybe an ok pick in the 5th based on nothing more than expected touches, if you don't mind passing on gates, hernandez, austin, harvin, maclin, demaryus, helu, greene, lloyd, etc.
about tied with Joique Bell

Can anyone who saw the Indy game comment on his play in this game? He had decent yardage totals. Someone was forced to drop him last week and I took a flyer on him as a #5 RB. With all the RB injuries, he's looking a little more valuable all of sudden.

I watched some of the game & saw about 10 of his carries. He was met in the backfield by multiple defenders on almost every one. He rarely had any type of hole, horrible run blocking was the common theme. He did look shifty with a few nice gains, and looked really fast on his long reception. I think he's shown that if there's a hole, he can get through it & pick up good yardage. The problem with Indy is that they rarely open a hole.

Also- Ballard looked bad, but the again the line stinks. A plodder/power back has zero chance behind Indy's O-line. Brown looks to remain the featured RB.

I watched some of the game & saw about 10 of his carries. He was met in the backfield by multiple defenders on almost every one. He rarely had any type of hole, horrible run blocking was the common theme. He did look shifty with a few nice gains, and looked really fast on his long reception. I think he's shown that if there's a hole, he can get through it & pick up good yardage. The problem with Indy is that they rarely open a hole.

Also- Ballard looked bad, but the again the line stinks. A plodder/power back has zero chance behind Indy's O-line. Brown looks to remain the featured RB.
:goodposting: Sounds like Delone Carter 2.0. Indy sure hasn't had a knack for finding RBs.

:goodposting: Sounds like Delone Carter 2.0. Indy sure hasn't had a knack for finding RBs.
The Edge was pretty sick..

Well D. Brown doesn't appear to be that bad. 84 yards on 17 carries for 4.9 ypc average is pretty good. His long carry of 14 yards mean his ypc isn't overrated b/c of a long carry but the bad part about that is his long carry of the season is 18 yards so you probably won't get any home runs out of him which limits his value. Good thing is he seems to be the clear #1, bad thing is they get behind and abandon the run often. Overall, I think you'll be happy with him as a #3 RB who can fill in on the bye and you can play against some good match ups.

I was hoping he'd be more involved in the passing game. He had the screen he took to pay dirt in the preseason but since then, he's been rather non existent in the receiving game so his PPR value is limited. Anytime a team throws it 55 times and he only gets 2 targets, you know he isn't involved in the game plan. Only has 5 targets on the season but hopefully that increases a bit more.

I'd say going forward, looking at 15-20 carries a game for 60-80 yards with an occasional TD and hopefully 1-2 receptions for 10-25 yards would be reasonable expectations. He'll lose a few TDs since he isn't a power back and IND will use their TEs and want to pad their rookie QB numbers/get him experience.

I feel like Brown is a good bye-week RB and is worth acquiring as a RB4. For someone who may be seeing near 20 touches a game for the remainder, he's highly undervalued. His ability, or lack there of is also largely exaggerated.

His snap percentage and touches have gone up, at the expense of Ballard's since week 1. All the experts saying to stash Ballard probably haven't seen him run, he's been much less effective and IND has taken notice.

Brown is past his bye (perfect bye-week RB4) and has several neutral to plus match-ups in the future (NYJ, CLE, TEN x2, DET BUF).

If you can get him on the cheap, I think he'll be worth it. His ceiling isn't very high but he can serve a very specific purpose for your team.

I feel like Brown is a good bye-week RB and is worth acquiring as a RB4. For someone who may be seeing near 20 touches a game for the remainder, he's highly undervalued. His ability, or lack there of is also largely exaggerated.His snap percentage and touches have gone up, at the expense of Ballard's since week 1. All the experts saying to stash Ballard probably haven't seen him run, he's been much less effective and IND has taken notice.Brown is past his bye (perfect bye-week RB4) and has several neutral to plus match-ups in the future (NYJ, CLE, TEN x2, DET BUF).If you can get him on the cheap, I think he'll be worth it. His ceiling isn't very high but he can serve a very specific purpose for your team.
Not sure how you have him as RB4, I guess it depends on how big your league is but I'd put him between 20-30 as an RB. Yardage wise, he is 22nd in average yards per game. Even with the fact his team abandons the run at times, he won't get too much goal line work, and isn't as involved in the passing game, he is still the main back on his team and has no real competition at this point. So add in the RBBCs that are failing like in Carolina, Arizona along with the likes of Greene or CJ or Benson and it'd be tough to name 25-30 guys I'd rather have then him.

Traded Brown, not looking back. Decent bye-week filler; instant plugin if your lead back gets hurt before gameday or something.

I'm just saying, it wouldn't hurt to have Donald Brown on your roster.

I feel like Brown is a good bye-week RB and is worth acquiring as a RB4. For someone who may be seeing near 20 touches a game for the remainder, he's highly undervalued. His ability, or lack there of is also largely exaggerated.His snap percentage and touches have gone up, at the expense of Ballard's since week 1. All the experts saying to stash Ballard probably haven't seen him run, he's been much less effective and IND has taken notice.Brown is past his bye (perfect bye-week RB4) and has several neutral to plus match-ups in the future (NYJ, CLE, TEN x2, DET BUF).If you can get him on the cheap, I think he'll be worth it. His ceiling isn't very high but he can serve a very specific purpose for your team.
Not sure how you have him as RB4, I guess it depends on how big your league is but I'd put him between 20-30 as an RB. Yardage wise, he is 22nd in average yards per game. Even with the fact his team abandons the run at times, he won't get too much goal line work, and isn't as involved in the passing game, he is still the main back on his team and has no real competition at this point. So add in the RBBCs that are failing like in Carolina, Arizona along with the likes of Greene or CJ or Benson and it'd be tough to name 25-30 guys I'd rather have then him.
2 good posts.

Brown had a few rough games early when Indy abandoned the run, but I think his arrow is definitely pointing up after their bye. If Indy continues to set up the run with the pass, like they did vs Green Bay, Brown should be solid. I expect better numbers each week and think he can be a decent RB2.

I'm stuck with Brown as a RB2 for the time being, so I hope I'm right.

Well, I traded for him on the cheap and got him as a RB4 behind DMC, Mathews and SJax but clearly you could make an argument as to why he'd be a head of SJax. I still have some faith in SJax though and feel like I'll be flexing him more often than Brown down the road. My point remains, that he's a great RB4 to trade for due to the perception that he's a talentless bum. He's mostly likely someone's RB3 though, yeah.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like Brown is a good bye-week RB and is worth acquiring as a RB4. For someone who may be seeing near 20 touches a game for the remainder, he's highly undervalued. His ability, or lack there of is also largely exaggerated.

His snap percentage and touches have gone up, at the expense of Ballard's since week 1. All the experts saying to stash Ballard probably haven't seen him run, he's been much less effective and IND has taken notice.

Brown is past his bye (perfect bye-week RB4) and has several neutral to plus match-ups in the future (NYJ, CLE, TEN x2, DET BUF).

If you can get him on the cheap, I think he'll be worth it. His ceiling isn't very high but he can serve a very specific purpose for your team.
Really? This is what you took from that?

Just traded Antonio Gates straight up for Brown in a 14 team 16 man per roster PPR redraft where starting lineup requirements are 1qb, 2 rb, 3wr, 1 te, 1 flex (rb, wr te), 1 k, 1 d/st.

'cpd90 said:
'sporthenry said:
'SameSongNDance said:

He has a point. Those who own Donald Brown are going to expect more than RB4 value in return. Those who drafted Brown generally took him as their 3rd RB, and based on his performance to this point, I'd say he's a low end RB2 the rest of the way.

'cpd90 said:
'sporthenry said:
'SameSongNDance said:

He has a point. Those who own Donald Brown are going to expect more than RB4 value in return. Those who drafted Brown generally took him as their 3rd RB, and based on his performance to this point, I'd say he's a low end RB2 the rest of the way.
I guess it is nitpicking and SongNDance was high on him as well but I think a lot of people come here for advice and calling him an RB4 might get some to panic if he is their RB3. I think he is a low end RB2 if you play him correctly. I think he is very susceptible to getting relatively shut out on some weeks so if you can predict these weeks and put in a solid RB3 or another RB2 in those weeks, you should be good to go.

was thrilled to get him off waivers (short benches) and played him due to bye-weeks problems (McFadden, Martin, Calvin, Dez...). won't complain!

Since week 5 snap % is available, here's Brown's utilization break down from weeks 1-5.

Week 1 - 42% - 11

Week 2 - 48% - 16

Week 3 - 51% - 19

Week 4 - N/A - N/A

Week 5 - 71% - 19

Utilization accounts for carries plus targets.

Kills me watching him get subbed in for near the goaline every game.
The interior of IND's OL is just bad. This coupled with the fact that he's not an in between the tackles type of runner and sadly I don't think we'll ever see him get GL carries.This is why I have a very hard time calling him a RB2.He also needs to start seeing some targets in the passing game. He has 5 on the season. That's horrible.These two reasons alone make it quite evident that he cannot be counted on weekly. As high as I am on him, it has more to do with his perceived value than his actual value.

The interior of IND's OL is just bad. This coupled with the fact that he's not an in between the tackles type of runner and sadly I don't think we'll ever see him get GL carries.This is why I have a very hard time calling him a RB2.He also needs to start seeing some targets in the passing game. He has 5 on the season. That's horrible.These two reasons alone make it quite evident that he cannot be counted on weekly. As high as I am on him, it has more to do with his perceived value than his actual value.
Exactly. At this point, it seems his realistic upside is 10-12 points. That's if he gets 15-18 carries and 1-2 catches. However, he just isn't getting the GL opportunities nor is he seeing enough passes come his way. Maybe that will turn around, but I have trouble starting a guy whose upside is 10-12 points and floor is 4. That said, I'm starting him as an bye-week filler this week.

Just traded Maclin/Blount for Brown. Maclin was my WR#5 and I needed a bye-week filler for Lynch/Bradshaw, who both have byes week 11 (also have Leshoure). I'm happy with the trade.

Exactly. At this point, it seems his realistic upside is 10-12 points. That's if he gets 15-18 carries and 1-2 catches. However, he just isn't getting the GL opportunities nor is he seeing enough passes come his way. Maybe that will turn around, but I have trouble starting a guy whose upside is 10-12 points and floor is 4. That said, I'm starting him as an bye-week filler this week.
You can't blame Brown for this. In the preseason they used him in GL packages and that's why I was high on him. Only problem, even then, is the coaches would rather throw in those situations. He looked just fine getting the 2pc, he seal the game when they start feeding him imo. Nyg-Cle-Ten-Jac-Buf-Det-Ten-Kc on his plate, you have to call him a RB2 getting 17car. Like him or not.

Just traded Maclin/Blount for Brown. Maclin was my WR#5 and I needed a bye-week filler for Lynch/Bradshaw, who both have byes week 11 (also have Leshoure). I'm happy with the trade.
oof
That post made me realize that trade would be a possibility for me in a league I'm in...he's strong at WR, desperate for a RB. So I offered Brown for Maclin a couple hours ago. Rescinded it when I heard the injury news. The guy never saw it, so I shot him a message just to gauge if he would have been interested. "Definitely". Damn it Donald x2.

oof
That's still not that bad, if Donald indeed comes back to himself by week 11. He likely wouldn't have played either of them until then anyway. Blount is nothing.
It wasn't a "haha look at you" oof, it was a "oh man that's bad luck" oof.

In dynasty league: just traded Romo & LaFell for Brown 19 hours before the news was announced...oof :no:

Is he done in Indy ?
I don't know if he's done in terms of a roster spot, but in terms of being a starter, those days are probably gone.The bigger question is whether they roll with Ballard next year or bring someone else in to be the guy or be part of an RBBC.

Is he done in Indy ?
I don't know if he's done in terms of a roster spot, but in terms of being a starter, those days are probably gone.The bigger question is whether they roll with Ballard next year or bring someone else in to be the guy or be part of an RBBC.
Ballard is not a capable 3 down starter. They'll draft somebody for RBBC or possibly sign somebody like that. Maybe DWill or something. I don't know where they are going to go with their running back situation heading into next season. Doubt they roll Ballard/Carter. He's still signed for 1 more year so they might go with Brown/Ballard again next season.

Is he done in Indy ?
Ballard is not a capable 3 down starter. They'll draft somebody for RBBC or possibly sign somebody like that. Maybe DWill or something. I don't know where they are going to go with their running back situation heading into next season. Doubt they roll Ballard/Carter. He's still signed for 1 more year so they might go with Brown/Ballard again next season.
It's been mentioned in other threads, but Mendenhall is an UFA and has ties to Arians from their time together in Pittsburgh.Could be another possibility.

'zamboni said:
'donkshow said:
'zamboni said:
'Young 8 said:
Is he done in Indy ?
It's been mentioned in other threads, but Mendenhall is an UFA and has ties to Arians from their time together in Pittsburgh.Could be another possibility.
This is true. I'd like that.

Mendy is not the answer either. But it seems Ballard has the job? Any details on why we didn't see an even split like last week? Surely someone asked about that in the presser.

Users who are viewing this thread