What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Double turn lanes on to single lane street? Why? (1 Viewer)

RokNRole

Footballguy
I've noticed this a few places here in Dallas.

4 lane streets with 2 turn lanes on the left merging on to a single lane st.

These are awfully dangerous. Common sense would dictate the ones in the leftmost lane have the right of way and those turning from the right turn lane should yield.......but people don't have common sense and try to jockey their way ahead of those turning on the inside damn near causing an accident each time I use these turn lanes.

Are there any experts here that can explain why it's allowed to be set up this way? Why not only allow turns from only the left lane to avoid potential collisions?

Prevents backup on the street with multiple turn lanes.

What kills me is the majority of people who will only use the one lane that does not end after the turn, and their refusal to let others in.  There are two lanes for a reason.

These are awfully dangerous. Common sense would dictate the ones in the leftmost lane have the right of way and those turning from the right turn lane should yield.......but people don't have common sense and try to jockey their way ahead of those turning on the inside damn near causing an accident each time I use these turn lanes.
this is the game theory optimal approach.  if you don't do it someone else will.  

So that the main street (four lane one in your example) isn't getting back up at that light. Presumably the two lanes turning into one are utilizing zipper merging technique so that there isn't a backup on the one lane street either.

What kills me is the majority of people who will only use the one lane that does not end after the turn, and their refusal to let others in.  There are two lanes for a reason.
Shouldn't those on the outside yield to the people turning from the lane on the left? They don't have a good view of the people turning from the outside lane because they are in their blind spot while turning. The people on the outside can actually see what's going on but instead of being cautious they speed up and cut you off and you don't see them until they are within inches of your car and jostling in

who knows more about street design?  the civil engineer who finished college and has been doing this for several years, or the random internet forum man who starts 10 threads a day?  

well it hard to say

Go on google maps and look at the corner of W Northwest highway and Trchnology  Blvd east

I make the turn from the left lane a couple times a week to grab lunch at a deli and nearly get clipped every time by the jerks in the outside turn lane scooting ahead

i can't see them until they are zipping across the front of my truck

There should still be a short temp 2nd lane on the road you're turning onto though right. Like one that merges in 1000 ft?

Go on google maps and look at the corner of W Northwest highway and Trchnology  Blvd east

I make the turn from the left lane a couple times a week to grab lunch at a deli and nearly get clipped every time by the jerks in the outside turn lane scooting ahead

Looks like the outside lane has the ROW based on the signage...

who knows more about street design?  the civil engineer who finished college and has been doing this for several years, or the random internet forum man who starts 10 threads a day?  

well it hard to say
Hey now, I've had years of experience with SimCity and I know I can put together a better road than a few of these failures in the Philly area.  :drive:

This!!!  People need to learn what a zipper merge is and not be a ##### about letting people us a fully functioning lane.  Use all the road provided until the dashed white line ends.

maybe you should adjust your strategy here based on what the other drivers are doing.  just a thought.

There should still be a short temp 2nd lane on the road you're turning onto though right. Like one that merges in 1000 ft?
I was going to post this, then I looked at the google map and holy hell, it looks like they've got about 5 ft to merge. The merge lane is literally a triangle cut out of the median.

I was going to post this, then I looked at the google map and holy hell, it looks like they've got about 5 ft to merge. The merge lane is literally a triangle cut out of the median.
Yeah we talking about the smaller road (technology) right?  It looks barely wide enough to have 2 cars side by side and maybe there's a merge sign about 500 ft down?

Eh, looks like there's about 19-20 feet of width there, plenty to squeeze in side by side.  Wake Forest Road in Raleigh has 8.5 ft lanes, 3 lanes wide, for miles.

That area was never meant to get regular traffic.  Well except the hooker kind.  It's a major street within a 9 iron of both loop 12 and I-35.  I'm sure they did this to help keep offramp traffic from loop 12 from backing up on the left turn traffic.  There are lots of stupid compromises made in that area to keep the big street offramps ok.

I used to go down there to shoot guns, but they closed it because the pilots landing at love field didn't like how the skeet range had people shooting at their glide path.  

No the merge sign on technology drive!!!  I posted it.

We are all assuming you are turning left into technolgy drive.

No the merge sign on technology drive!!!  I posted it.

We are all assuming you are turning left into technolgy drive.
 That's not a merge sign.  that's showing that the roadways are going to get closer together down the road. 

A merge sign would show two lanes coming into one. 

Plus where that sign is located it doesn't look like the road would have been wide enough for two cars prior to that sign anyway.

That's not a merge sign.  that's showing that the roadways are going to get closer together down the road. 

Plus where that sign is located it doesn't look like the road would have been wide enough for two cars prior to that sign anyway.
It isnt wide enough

Last edited by a moderator:

um it is - that means one lane is ending

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/fig2c_08_longdesc.htm

http://www.trafficsign.us/w4.html

No wonder there is so much road rage - YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT A W4-2 MEANS!@#!@#!#!@

Last edited by a moderator:

well it hard to say
You what's sad, Peyton, is that I agree with random internet guy though this comment was funny as balls. 

But still. I'm going with RokNRole here.  

Out in CA each turn lane has a dedicated lane to turn into to prevent this. It would be awfully confused and scary if we didn't. 

Like all engineers, even the civic ones have their faults.  

It doesn't really matter if you can squeeze two cars in without them physically colliding, if there's no lane markers and everyone drives down the middle then it's a one-lane road. Period.

Oh, they're dealing with boulevards. 

That's why I should shut up. Those are beautiful and confusing. You should see the KC boulevards. Just awesome.  

It does seem pretty obvious even without the sign that it's the left lane merging into the right though. If I had to make that turn regularly I'd just use the outside lane every time and if it causes traffic to back up onto the highway, well then #### you traffic engineers, design some better roads.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2421/3927140763_99f65fa512_b.jpg

It's still a merge sign without the dotted lines. There is no such thing as a "roads are going to get closer together" sign.
 There are most certainly signs that indicate that a divided road he's going to lose the median.  I figure down the road a ways that grass median was going to disappear in that sign was indicating that you should be prepared to have oncoming traffic much closer to you. 

Like this. http://www.epermittest.com/road-signs/divided-highway-ends

The guy who drives this road every day is telling us there is not enough room for two lanes so either that merge sign is placed way past where the merge takes place or it is being used to indicate something else.

I mean truthfully if you want a double left turn lane onto that road they should take out that entire grass median for at least several hundred feet making a true second lane and then put a ####### dotted line on the existing sign.

Users who are viewing this thread