What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

Please don't be screwing w/ us Drew....

#Saints QB Drew Brees tells reporters he has a grade 2 plantar fascia tear. "I'm going to play" he says via @nick_underhill & @TheSaintsBeat

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 24, 2015
He won't play.
I'm not expecting him to play; I just don't understand why a Saints team that is going nowhere feels the need to play games regarding player status. I question the real impact of such machinations in general, actually.

#Saints QB Drew Brees tells reporters he has a grade 2 plantar fascia tear. "I'm going to play" he says via @nick_underhill & @TheSaintsBeat

He won't play.
I'm not expecting him to play; I just don't understand why a Saints team that is going nowhere feels the need to play games regarding player status. I question the real impact of such machinations in general, actually.
Ya I guess it really doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's because he's a competitor and wants to be out there no matter what. Or maybe because a win means happier fans which equals more revenue. I don't really know. Maybe it's Payton thinking a 7-9 record will give him a better chance to stay/sign long term/get more money then a 5-9 record will. Or maybe Drew wanting to pad his career stats.

I agree it makes no sense to play him though.

He won't play.
When asked why he would risk further injury with the Saints (5-9) out of playoff contention, Brees said, "One reason only: I want to play for my guys. Bottom line."

Deamon said:
BearsFan4Life said:
I either need to start Brees and hope he plays or trade him by Saturday for Stafford.. dynasty .. no clue
Are you in the finals? Who is your backup qb?
Yes I am in the finals..backup was Peyton. .only option if I don't deal Brees is to pick McCarron and wait for Brees news

Deamon said:
BearsFan4Life said:
I either need to start Brees and hope he plays or trade him by Saturday for Stafford.. dynasty .. no clue
Are you in the finals? Who is your backup qb?
Yes I am in the finals..backup was Peyton. .only option if I don't deal Brees is to pick McCarron and wait for Brees news
I don't play Dynasty, but I feel like Stafford would be as good as Brees in dynasty anyways? FBG Dynasty rankings confirm this also.

I'd make the trade. It's a good trade for you anyways, plus you get your shot at a title. So many people plan only for future but this is what you play for, to win league titles. Go for it.

Walking Boot said:
What's a grade 2? IIRC, a full tear is better and can be played through easier than a partial.

As an aside, weird time for FBG to not have Bremel and his injury insight. Odd how they leave customers hanging in the final week, other stuff has been missing this week too. I mean, we do just fine, but it makes you wonder what good they are the rest of the year.
Agreed. this would be crucial for many owners.

BearsFan4Life said:
Do the trade. It better for you now and in the future.
Any league worth their salt would not allow trading into the playoffs.
21st year of the dynasty league .. has always been this way with trades all the way through .. everyone active and committed so even little deals made between teams out of it prepping for next season

Walking Boot said:
What's a grade 2? IIRC, a full tear is better and can be played through easier than a partial.

As an aside, weird time for FBG to not have Bremel and his injury insight. Odd how they leave customers hanging in the final week, other stuff has been missing this week too. I mean, we do just fine, but it makes you wonder what good they are the rest of the year.
I like FBG, been a subscriber for a few years now, but one of my three leagues is a week 17 league and it always pisses me off how they literally don't even care about week 17. There is no news, no updates on who is starting and who isn't. Sucks that it is now in week 16 as well. Brees is big for me with Odell out since right now, I have Watson (Jax terrible against TEs) and Cooks in my lineup (3 WR/TEs plus Flex, which in PPR is usually a WR/TE, especially this year with all the RB injuries). Watson hasn't practiced, so might be an easier decision, but Cooks might not be a good play without Brees,

Walking Boot said:

I like FBG, been a subscriber for a few years now, but one of my three leagues is a week 17 league and it always pisses me off how they literally don't even care about week 17. There is no news, no updates on who is starting and who isn't. Sucks that it is now in week 16 as well. Brees is big for me with Odell out since right now, I have Watson (Jax terrible against TEs) and Cooks in my lineup (3 WR/TEs plus Flex, which in PPR is usually a WR/TE, especially this year with all the RB injuries). Watson hasn't practiced, so might be an easier decision, but Cooks might not be a good play without Brees,
huh? What Brees updates are you expecting right now?

Walking Boot said:

Yeah, I understand being disappointed by the lack of updates/advice in general, but the Brees situation is pretty clear: he hasn't practiced all week, we may or may not know whether he's active before kickoff of the early games. IMO, even if it sounds like he's going to be active, one's risk tolerance has to be exceedingly high to risk starting him. FWIW, in one league, I am still on the fence, but that's because Hasselbeck is literally the only alternative I have. If could choose from anyone else, other than guys like Keenum/Mallet/ and probably Manziel, I'm 99% sure I'd go w/ the alternative.

Walking Boot said:

I was referring to Walking Boot's comment about having no FBG's insight into the injury itself, not news on him playing or not. Often they give us some thoughts on whether or not they are just trying to fool the opponent and Brees has no real chance to play. I added in my frustrations about the lack of news (or effort) in week 17 and hoping that Walking Boot's concern wasn't coming to fruition that we are seeing the news starting to fade in week 17. Make sense?

Walking Boot said:

I was referring to Walking Boot's comment about having no FBG's insight into the injury itself, not news on him playing or not. Often they give us some thoughts on whether or not they are just trying to fool the opponent and Brees has no real chance to play. I added in my frustrations about the lack of news (or effort) in week 17 and hoping that Walking Boot's concern wasn't coming to fruition that we are seeing the news starting to fade in week 17. Make sense?
Not really. Never had an issue with week 16 news/info, and don't think this is a case of that. Predicting what they're doing with Brees this week is impossible, and just because they don't know the future, doesn't mean their updates are bad.

I do see your concern about week 17 though (never played in a week 17 league so have never looked for info, but will take your word for it that it's lacking).

Week 17 leagues are extremely rare (probably 1% or so of leagues if I had to guess) so I can see how there's not a ton on that.

Walking Boot said:

Yeah, I understand being disappointed by the lack of updates/advice in general, but the Brees situation is pretty clear: he hasn't practiced all week, we may or may not know whether he's active before kickoff of the early games. IMO, even if it sounds like he's going to be active, one's risk tolerance has to be exceedingly high to risk starting him. FWIW, in one league, I am still on the fence, but that's because Hasselbeck is literally the only alternative I have. If could choose from anyone else, other than guys like Keenum/Mallet/ and probably Manziel, I'm 99% sure I'd go w/ the alternative.
It isn't the lack of updates, we know it is a GTD, but normally they (Jene) would give us some insight. Something like with a grade 2, it is typically a 2-3 week injury so while they are saying he could play we are fairly certain he isn't. That is sort of why we subscribe and come into the Shark Pool. I know we won't get anything for certain until Sunday, but some people with NO players might have made roster moves earlier or changed they WW pickups, etc.

shefter says he playing
even if he does, who has the guts to start him? I'm rolling with FItzpatrick and hoping for the best.
In one league, me... My only alternative, literally, is Hasselbeck, who has been going down in production every start & has abut 3 different injuries himself. If the Saints were on the road this week, I'd roll w/ Hass, but at the Super Dome, against the Jags, I pretty much have to roll the dice w/ Brees unless we get rumors before early kickoffs that he'll be inactive. (I'm an underdog + I started Gates on TNF)

shefter says he playing
even if he does, who has the guts to start him? I'm rolling with FItzpatrick and hoping for the best.
Ummm.. Me? If he plays like he did in the second half last week we will be fine. Its jacksonville after all.
Same here. With an injection to numb that foot up and an orthotic in his shoe for support, Drew should be good to go.

Brees is a great competitor; he won't sit in what could be his last game in Nawlins. That's what makes him a future HOFer.

Well glad I was wrong. Don't have the luxury some of you do with a good backup option. Although I'd still start him over the guys mentioned above. This is a putrid Jax D. Brees will probably be a worthy start playing 3 quarters only.

Well glad I was wrong. Don't have the luxury some of you do with a good backup option. Although I'd still start him over the guys mentioned above. This is a putrid Jax D. Brees will probably be a worthy start playing 3 quarters only.
I have Fitz as a backup but I am all in on Brees. The storyline is too temping to pass. I am at peace with living and dying with Brees for the Championship! Good luck to all.

shefter says he playing
Ummm.. Me? If he plays like he did in the second half last week we will be fine. Its jacksonville after all.
Same here. With an injection to numb that foot up and an orthotic in his shoe for support, Drew should be good to go. Brees is a great competitor; he won't sit in what could be his last game in Nawlins. That's what makes him a future HOFer.
If he's hobbling around back there Payton would be insane not to pull him. Play him at your own risk.

He'll be on my bench for Bortles, but I think he plays and plays well. Might outscore Bortles but I had to factor in risk.

I think he tweaks it in warmups, Payton pulls him, and fantasy owners who started him end up with a "remember that time Brees cost me a championship" talking point that lasts a lifetime.

I am a little hesitant starting him, but my backup is Eli and with ODJ out, gonna roll with brees and hope they get crushed and pass a ton.

I am a little hesitant starting him, but my backup is Eli and with ODJ out, gonna roll with brees and hope they get crushed and pass a ton.
I wouldnt be hoping they get crushed. That would lead to an early day, not a lot of Brees yards. Guy is a gamer, but he isn't stupid.

You should hope for a shootout, which the Jax offense/defense could easily provide in the dome.

I wouldnt be hoping they get crushed. That would lead to an early day, not a lot of Brees yards. Guy is a gamer, but he isn't stupid.

You should hope for a shootout, which the Jax offense/defense could easily provide in the dome.
Yep. If the Saints get "crushed" & are down by, say, 3 scores, I can see Brees getting pulled off the field.

I think he tweaks it in warmups, Payton pulls him, and fantasy owners who started him end up with a "remember that time Brees cost me a championship" talking point that lasts a lifetime.
I'm thinking, "remember that time Brees lead me to a title on one foot?"

Woot Wooooooo!!!!!!

Phew. Brees or zero was staring at me all weak (no transactions, backup QBs all dead), what a gamer. He knew it was about pain management and that he'd play. And did he ever.

Certainly led some brave (if not stupid but lucky) folks to championships. Unless they faced freakin' Bortles. Again.

I have Fitz as a backup but I am all in on Brees. The storyline is too temping to pass. I am at peace with living and dying with Brees for the Championship! Good luck to all.
Thank you, Drew Brees, for a gutsy game that sealed a championship for me!

Brees played at a high level on MNF through the injury; so I'd expect him to play. He is the ultimate competitor.

The other factor to consider is that Brees counts $30 million against the cap for 2016, so it's quite possible that this could be the last home game for the Payton-Brees Era. I'd expect Brees to go out with a bang, along with a monster game for Brandin Cooks.

Full disclosure: yes, he's my starter in the finals.
Truer words were never spoken.

Users who are viewing this thread