What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (1 Viewer)

What are the thoughts on this lens?

Amazon has a deal that if you buy the T3i for $650, that lens is $150 off. Also can buy this printer and get a $400 rebate. So, camera/extra lens/printer for just under $700 after tax ($1100 upfront). Deal??
Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger on that deal or not but this is a good deal on the 55-250 and the 50mm/1.8 for $238 w/free shipping...http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSZ.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_227502

I think Canon has had a rough year and Nikon/Sony might be passing them by in the short term but if you are just starting out and want a great starter kit it's tough to beat the lens combo above with this...

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_227015_-1

... you get an excellent(if a little dated) 15mp dSLR, image stabilized 18-55, image stabilized 55-250, and a quality prime 50mm/1.8 for under $600. Nikon would by my choice for photographs if you're not price sensitive, Sony for video, Pentax for travelers but for overall value in a complete camera bag it's still tough to beat Canon.

BTW in my experience photo printers had better be a throw in because life is so much easier if you simply use a printing service.

Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger on that deal or not but this is a good deal on the 55-250 and the 50mm/1.8 for $238 w/free shipping...http://www.adorama.com/CA55250AFSZ.html?emailprice=t&utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=cj_227502I think Canon has had a rough year and Nikon/Sony might be passing them by in the short term but if you are just starting out and want a great starter kit it's tough to beat the lens combo above with this...http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_227015_-1... you get an excellent(if a little dated) 15mp dSLR, image stabilized 18-55, image stabilized 55-250, and a quality prime 50mm/1.8 for under $600. Nikon would by my choice for photographs if you're not price sensitive, Sony for video, Pentax for travelers but for overall value in a complete camera bag it's still tough to beat Canon.BTW in my experience photo printers had better be a throw in because life is so much easier if you simply use a printing service.
Thanks for the links, those look like sweet deals and I passed them on to my sister who is looking now. Your brand assessment seems spot on too. I did try out the Sony A[55] and while the 10fps was impressive, the pictures just didn't seem to stand out (may have been stacked deck with the stock sony vs the prime lenses on the canons/nikons i tried). Like you said tho, superior video....the focus seemed more natural and reactive.I have a friend who is a Nikon nut, and after playing around with some of his toys I got hooked. Ended up with the D7000, along with the 35mm lens and a flash. Overwhelmed so far, but already feel silly for not doing this sooner. The 35mm lens seems to be perfect for shooting around the house. Handles low light pretty well and can keep up with the moving 5 month old.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up the Nikon D600 and it's a hell of a camera!

I've been shooting for many years and this weekend was my first gig where I shot video and stills with the same camera. It's going to take some getting used to, the dslr way of shooting video is quite different. but so far I'm really liking the results.

I added a Zacuto Crossfire rig, Zacuto Z-Finder, a Rodes microphone and cartoni tripod. Bagged it all in a Cinebag.

Here's a small collection of the first set of stills I shot - these are medium rez jpegs - haven't messed with the RAW files yet.

And here's the first video I shot(password: ds2012) - still a LOT to learn with this thing, but not a bad effort for starting out.

Besides my usual trips into the desert, I'll be taking this thing to Ireland, Nepal, Mt Whitney and Wales over the next year. I'm also booked to do an extensive series on interviews and plan to use this camera for that as well.

I have found it to be incredibly good in low light, but some of the button layouts are not ideal. I also don't like the fact that you can't change aperture while in Live View. You have to use the exposure compensation.

More reviews and images/video as I get it. This weekend I'm shooting the Tucson Blues Festival so there should be some great stuff there.

Fun fun fun!
Great stuff. But a word of warning. I was shooting some great skies the other day at about F/11, got home to process the photos and noticed loads of dust on the left side of my sensor. I shot with a D60 for five years and never had to get the sensor cleaned, despite the occasional dust spot, but this was so much dust it called for immediate action. Since I'd only changed lenses a few times, I knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough, it seems like D600s have a sensor dust issue. There's speculation floating around about the cause. Things like a gap near the shutter to an abrasion near the mirror.The bad news is I can see you have dust on your sensor, albeit very little compared to mine. (Check this photo, top left side. If you can't spot it, I find moving the photo around a bit while looking at it helps make the dust stand out.) The good news is that if you harangue Nikon, they'll clean it for free. Of course, they'll make you pay for shipping and you'll lose your camera for a week.

This has been a huge bummer for me. Several shots ruined since there's so much dust I can't begin to mask it all out. I got my sensor cleaned today and I'm worried that if it gets dusty again, I'll have to send it in.

Anyway, otherwise, I absolutely love the camera. Love it. Haven't shot much video yet because I haven't had much time, but that's my next project. Hope you get your dust resolved.

Haven't posted here for a bit as I took time off from photography. Got reinspired and upgraded to a T2i. The bought a used Canon 70-200 f4 lens and I am again loving photography. Will post a couple of pics later with the new setup

I've been shooting for many years and this weekend was my first gig where I shot video and stills with the same camera. It's going to take some getting used to, the dslr way of shooting video is quite different. but so far I'm really liking the results.

I added a Zacuto Crossfire rig, Zacuto Z-Finder, a Rodes microphone and cartoni tripod. Bagged it all in a Cinebag.

Here's a small collection of the first set of stills I shot - these are medium rez jpegs - haven't messed with the RAW files yet.

And here's the first video I shot(password: ds2012) - still a LOT to learn with this thing, but not a bad effort for starting out.

Besides my usual trips into the desert, I'll be taking this thing to Ireland, Nepal, Mt Whitney and Wales over the next year. I'm also booked to do an extensive series on interviews and plan to use this camera for that as well.

I have found it to be incredibly good in low light, but some of the button layouts are not ideal. I also don't like the fact that you can't change aperture while in Live View. You have to use the exposure compensation.

More reviews and images/video as I get it. This weekend I'm shooting the Tucson Blues Festival so there should be some great stuff there.

Fun fun fun!
Great stuff. But a word of warning. I was shooting some great skies the other day at about F/11, got home to process the photos and noticed loads of dust on the left side of my sensor. I shot with a D60 for five years and never had to get the sensor cleaned, despite the occasional dust spot, but this was so much dust it called for immediate action. Since I'd only changed lenses a few times, I knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough, it seems like D600s have a sensor dust issue. There's speculation floating around about the cause. Things like a gap near the shutter to an abrasion near the mirror.The bad news is I can see you have dust on your sensor, albeit very little compared to mine. (Check this photo, top left side. If you can't spot it, I find moving the photo around a bit while looking at it helps make the dust stand out.) The good news is that if you harangue Nikon, they'll clean it for free. Of course, they'll make you pay for shipping and you'll lose your camera for a week.

This has been a huge bummer for me. Several shots ruined since there's so much dust I can't begin to mask it all out. I got my sensor cleaned today and I'm worried that if it gets dusty again, I'll have to send it in.

Anyway, otherwise, I absolutely love the camera. Love it. Haven't shot much video yet because I haven't had much time, but that's my next project. Hope you get your dust resolved.
Oh wow you're right! Thanks for the heads up - fortunately I purchased this through a company that I have a long and good relationship with.

Looking for a new lens for our Rebel T1i as a Christmas present and currently have the Cannon kit lens(18-55mm and 55-250mm). I'm looking for a portrait lens. Would one of these be a good lens for the price? Not sure what the difference is except one says auto-focus. Still starting out and don't want to spend to much. Which one would be the best value?

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 50

Those are the same lens. One is "grey market" meaning it likely wasn't intended for the US marketplace. You may get some warranty issues b/c of that , maybe not. The non-grey is cheaper anyway, so go with that one.

We got the lens in June and really like it a lot. Takes amazing pics for the cost. Just keep in mind that it is essentially always at the near-full zoom end of your kit 18-55 lens. So you'll need to be further back from subjects than you are used to.

It is awesome in low light, too. Took some pics last Friday night when the kids were at a trick or treat thing with the flash off when it was definitely dark out. Pics look like they were taken before sundown.

'MechEng said:
Looking for a new lens for our Rebel T1i as a Christmas present and currently have the Cannon kit lens(18-55mm and 55-250mm). I'm looking for a portrait lens. Would one of these be a good lens for the price? Not sure what the difference is except one says auto-focus. Still starting out and don't want to spend to much. Which one would be the best value?

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 50
Great lens for the price, but you will find it has limites due to focal length.

17-85 is a stud lens, but a costly one...but it will do great portraits!

Check out this site: POTN

I buy ALL MY used gear there...the best Canon site on the net....BAR NONE

Here is the very first shot out of my new setup:

Canon T2i with the Canon 70-200 F4L non-is

This is right out of the camera, and unprocessed at all

Zoey

'Polish Hammer said:
Those are the same lens. One is "grey market" meaning it likely wasn't intended for the US marketplace. You may get some warranty issues b/c of that , maybe not. The non-grey is cheaper anyway, so go with that one. We got the lens in June and really like it a lot. Takes amazing pics for the cost. Just keep in mind that it is essentially always at the near-full zoom end of your kit 18-55 lens. So you'll need to be further back from subjects than you are used to. It is awesome in low light, too. Took some pics last Friday night when the kids were at a trick or treat thing with the flash off when it was definitely dark out. Pics look like they were taken before sundown.
Thanks for the advice.

'MechEng said:

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 50

That lens is a lot out of my price range. Thanks for the info and link.

'MechEng said:

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 50

Since you're looking for a portrait lens and you're on a budget, the 50 1.8 is a slam dunk. Pair it with a 35 down the line and you'll have two good value prime lenses that you'll use all the time.

'MechEng said:

Canon EF 50mm

Canon EF 50

Since you're looking for a portrait lens and you're on a budget, the 50 1.8 is a slam dunk. Pair it with a 35 down the line and you'll have two good value prime lenses that you'll use all the time.
:goodposting: 50mm f1.8 is great. I have that lens and an 18-200mm and despite the latter being 5x the price, the nifty 50 is my favorite lens.

Can you guys give me your method of setting up / choosing ISO settings? I understand the theory, but want practical advice, from picking up the camera to final shutter click.

Thanks

Zoey
That's very nice! The lens has a great reputation and I've been tempted to purchase it myself. If I used a tripod more often I'd probably already own it. The weight and cost make it a more desirable lens than the 70-200mm/F2.8 IS. I'm afraid I'd just find to many excuses to leave the heavy/expensive lens at home.

Zoey
That's very nice! The lens has a great reputation and I've been tempted to purchase it myself. If I used a tripod more often I'd probably already own it. The weight and cost make it a more desirable lens than the 70-200mm/F2.8 IS. I'm afraid I'd just find to many excuses to leave the heavy/expensive lens at home.
This lens is very easy to carry. It takes stunning shots. Saturation and sharpness are bang on.

I got this one for just under 500.00, so it was a no brainer...

Can you guys give me your method of setting up / choosing ISO settings? I understand the theory, but want practical advice, from picking up the camera to final shutter click.Thanks
Choose the lowest ISO that will get you your desired aperture/shutter speed combo. Say you're shooting sports and want bokeh. So you open the lens up and set shutter speed to 1/500. With ISO at 100, will that leave the shot underexposed? If so, try 200, then 400 etc. New cameras handle high ISOs so much better than older models that you may not notice much difference going way up in ISO.

Can you guys give me your method of setting up / choosing ISO settings? I understand the theory, but want practical advice, from picking up the camera to final shutter click.Thanks
Choose the lowest ISO that will get you your desired aperture/shutter speed combo. Say you're shooting sports and want bokeh. So you open the lens up and set shutter speed to 1/500. With ISO at 100, will that leave the shot underexposed? If so, try 200, then 400 etc. New cameras handle high ISOs so much better than older models that you may not notice much difference going way up in ISO.
I shoot almost always on AE mode. I set the exposure I want, and the ISO, and the camera works out the shutter speed for you. Easy to adjust on the fly if needed.

Digital cameras are so great these days that you can get low-noise shots at 1600. I err on the high side, unless I'm shooting in full daylight at 100. So daytime when I'm in and out of shadows, I'll typically be at 200 or so and just leave it. Gives me more time to spend on aperture/shutter combos if I'm shooting full manual.

OK, think I got it. From what I have seen:

1) ISO 100 if shooting outdoors with plenty of light and not sports

2) ISO 200 if shooting outdoors and lighting is somewhat variable

3) ISO 400-800 if shooting indoors, possibly higher if needed (dependent on conditions), and be wary going beyond 1600

4) ISO 3200 only in extreme conditions

And of course adjusting from those rules of thumb as needed, but using those as a starting point.

Comments?

I have been shooting for months in ISO 100, wondering why I couldn't get decent photos without good light :wall:

I have been shooting for months in ISO 100, wondering why I couldn't get decent photos without good light :wall:
You still can get decent photos but you need a tripod so the slow shutter speed doesn't ruin your photo. On interior architecture shots photographers often shoot at ISO 100. Even with a tripod it won't help you if you are trying to catch a moving subject though... like a singer/comedian that's moving around a stage for instance.

I know it's been discussed before, but what would be the best photo editing program for a beginner? Ease of use would be a big selling point. We have had a Canon T1i for awhile now and would like to start editing the photos.

'bcat01 said:
I know it's been discussed before, but what would be the best photo editing program for a beginner? Ease of use would be a big selling point. We have had a Canon T1i for awhile now and would like to start editing the photos.
Lightroom makes bulk organization and editing of photos a breeze once you get the hang of it (pretty quickly). It's pretty cheap now as well.

'bcat01 said:
Lightroom makes bulk organization and editing of photos a breeze once you get the hang of it (pretty quickly). It's pretty cheap now as well.
:goodposting: LOVE Lightroom.

I use Nikon's View NX2 software for RAW processing then move to Photoshop, although the latter can be a bit pricey and complicated if you're just getting started.

wanting to buy one of these for xmas....

absolute beginner looking at a ti3 bundle...

what are the must haves...

tia..

I have a T3i. If I could do it again I would buy the camera body and pic my lenses separately.

My wife wants a dslr. i've been looking at a lot of them, and based on my budget, I think the Nikon 5100 looks like a good rig for her. Same body size as the 3100. Anyone know of any decent deals. I would go with a t3i too, but the 5100 seems to go for less.

Ever since I bought my 35mm prime lens I haven't reached for my kit lens once, and don't plan to again. Quality difference is stark IMO

My wife wants a dslr. i've been looking at a lot of them, and based on my budget, I think the Nikon 5100 looks like a good rig for her. Same body size as the 3100. Anyone know of any decent deals. I would go with a t3i too, but the 5100 seems to go for less.
This is pretty goodhttp://www.adorama.com/INKD5100A.htmlWhat will she be using it for? That info can help me recommend a lens for her

Ever since I bought my 35mm prime lens I haven't reached for my kit lens once, and don't plan to again. Quality difference is stark IMO
35 is my favorite. I just have a cheap 1.8 DX and everything I shoot with it looks great.
yup, very versatile. Also forces me to frame the shot by moving my legs instead of wrist (zoom), and the result is I put more thought into the shot and get better angles / ideas

I have a T3i. If I could do it again I would buy the camera body and pic my lenses separately.
Kit lenses get a bad rap. They're usually very affordable and versatile lenses for beginners, especially if they're not sure what they're going to be shooting.
Agreed, especially for beginners.When I bought my first DSLR I looked at a bunch of lenses. I ended up dropping a pretty good chunk of change on a nice wide range lens (18mm-200mm). I thought I'd be shooting everything. As it turned out, I enjoy shooting landscapes MUCH more than everything else, and pretty much only use the 18mm-35mm range of that large, not inexpensive lens. I wish I'd just stuck with the kit lens for the first few months to figure out what I really wanted before dropping a bunch of coin on a nice lens, as I could have spent that same money on a lens that was much more fitting to how I use my camera now.

This is pretty goodhttp://www.adorama.com/INKD5100A.htmlWhat will she be using it for? That info can help me recommend a lens for her
For an extra $20 you can get this kit if you don't mind refurb....http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Refurbished-62317.cfm... the Nikon kit lens is generally thought of more highly than the Canon. Pair the 35mm prime and that's a good starting point. Seems like on Nikon side the value prime is the 35mm, for Canon it's the 50mm.

For an extra $20 you can get this kit if you don't mind refurb....http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Refurbished-62317.cfm... the Nikon kit lens is generally thought of more highly than the Canon. Pair the 35mm prime and that's a good starting point. Seems like on Nikon side the value prime is the 35mm, for Canon it's the 50mm.
Actually, that other stuff isn't worth $30. Here is just the 5100+kit lens for $440...http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Refurbished-62311.cfmIf you have a different lens in mind you can just get the body for $385....http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Factory-Refurbished-62313.cfm

Actually, that other stuff isn't worth $30. Here is just the 5100+kit lens for $440...http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-G-VR-DX-AF-S-Zoom-Lens-Factory-Refurbished-62311.cfmIf you have a different lens in mind you can just get the body for $385....http://www.cameta.com/Nikon-D5100-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-Factory-Refurbished-62313.cfm
Thanks. Huge help. She is going to use it for shots of the kids mostly. Outside more than inside, but inside a good bit too. She likes taking videos on the fly too. Some outside portraits but mostly action shots.

With that description the 35 mm prime is the way to go. Much faster than the kit lens so better for moving kids

With that description the 35 mm prime is the way to go. Much faster than the kit lens so better for moving kids
Not sure what lens you are describing. Prime? explain this to me like I am an idiot, because I am.
You can't zoom in and out. These tend to be (but are not always) better quality lenses—35 mm, 50 mm, 24, 85, etc. The higher the number, the more "zoomed in" you are. 35 is kind of a happy medium between portrait (close-up people stuff) and landscape (rolling hills and ####). And when he says "fast" lens, he means it has a bigger maximum aperture. Bigger aperture=more light=better results in darker conditions and a more blurred-out effect to backgrounds (shallower depth of field). Now, the bigger the aperture, the smaller the number. A kit lens typically has a max aperture in the 4-5 range. A prime 35 will usually be 1.4 or 1.8. That might sound like a small difference, but keep in mind a 1.4 lets in twice as much light as a 1.8. And yes, this stuff can take years to fully understand.

Fun fun fun!
Great stuff. But a word of warning. I was shooting some great skies the other day at about F/11, got home to process the photos and noticed loads of dust on the left side of my sensor. I shot with a D60 for five years and never had to get the sensor cleaned, despite the occasional dust spot, but this was so much dust it called for immediate action. Since I'd only changed lenses a few times, I knew something had to be wrong. Sure enough, it seems like D600s have a sensor dust issue. There's speculation floating around about the cause. Things like a gap near the shutter to an abrasion near the mirror.
New theory: the calls are coming from inside the house!http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/21/nikon-d600-dust-timelapse

I would think this is good news as it would make it less likely to be a design flaw and instead it's simply a production issue. More importantly, once the camera was finally dust(or particle) free one would assume the problem would be resolved - since dust being introduced from outside the camera may not be root of the problem.

I'm hoping full format cameras become much more accessible and popular so I hope this hiccup gets resolved quickly one way or another.

I want to get my wife a DSLR for Christmas.

I am back and forth between Cannon EOS Rebel T3 and T3i.

I have a cousin who is an avid camera guy and said to get the T3. My father in law works at Best Buy and he asked the camera guy there and he claimed the T3 was crap because of video being 720p vs. 1080p. Does that really matter? I'm not making the next star wars movie, just my kids in the school play.

Thanks.

The autofocus for video on DSLRs is generally pretty poor from what I've read. Unless you absolutely need just one device, you'd be better off buying the T3 and then getting a camcorder like the Sony HDR-CX190 with the money you saved if video quality is a big deal. If it's not a big deal, just buy the T3.

Users who are viewing this thread