What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Bowe (1 Viewer)

Personally I feel the possibility of using those drugs to lose weight and to mask any steroids or other drugs he may have took are both valid, and one shouldn't assume one without addressing the possibility of the other. That's why he was suspended. There's ways to lose weight without using a masking agent, so one would wonder who advised him to use such a drug if indeed he was not intending to hide something and why he was not responsible enough to check if what he was putting in his body was against the rules or not.
I figured people wouldn't want to hear this. It struck me as funny that a thread on the guy hadn't brought it up since drug usage was the reason for his suspension.Like I said above, I think steroid use in the NFL is far more prevalent than we suspect. I have been watching the NFL since 1970 and players look different today. Some of it is improved training but I am convinced a good deal is drugs. It isn't surprising to me that Bowe tested positive for performance enhancing drug usage. His body appearance reminds me of other recent WRs who had a big rise and then a big fall--think Javon Walker or David Boston. I think that the reason we are seeing more WRs do well as rookies has something to do with drug usage.
Again, he didn't. :thumbup: You can argue effectively that his use of a diuretic is suspect, and could be indicative of PED use, but Bowe did not and has not tested positive for any performance enhancing drug.
He's saying that there a very real possibility that he did take steroids given the fact that he tested for a masking agent. He also could have been on steroids at the time of the testing, it's questionable when you test positive for the masking agent. What part of his post did he say he tested positive for steroids? He only says he thinks more NFL players are taking steroids than some realize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I feel the possibility of using those drugs to lose weight and to mask any steroids or other drugs he may have took are both valid, and one shouldn't assume one without addressing the possibility of the other. That's why he was suspended. There's ways to lose weight without using a masking agent, so one would wonder who advised him to use such a drug if indeed he was not intending to hide something and why he was not responsible enough to check if what he was putting in his body was against the rules or not.
I figured people wouldn't want to hear this. It struck me as funny that a thread on the guy hadn't brought it up since drug usage was the reason for his suspension.Like I said above, I think steroid use in the NFL is far more prevalent than we suspect. I have been watching the NFL since 1970 and players look different today. Some of it is improved training but I am convinced a good deal is drugs. It isn't surprising to me that Bowe tested positive for performance enhancing drug usage. His body appearance reminds me of other recent WRs who had a big rise and then a big fall--think Javon Walker or David Boston. I think that the reason we are seeing more WRs do well as rookies has something to do with drug usage.
Again, he didn't. :wall: You can argue effectively that his use of a diuretic is suspect, and could be indicative of PED use, but Bowe did not and has not tested positive for any performance enhancing drug.
He's saying that there a very real possibility that he did take steroids given the fact that he tested for a masking agent. He also could have been on steroids at the time of the testing, it's questionable when you test positive for the masking agent. What part of his post did he say he tested positive for steroids? He only says he thinks more NFL players are taking steroids than some realize.
Not to belabor a point, but I bolded the part.
It isn't surprising to me that Bowe tested positive for performance enhancing drug usage.

Bowe owner here. Drafted him as my #1 WR and up until his suspension, I was actually pleased with his performance. He was consistently getting me around 10 points per game and his athleticism and big frame always make him liable to break a big play.I was fortunate enough to compile a 9-2 record heading into this week (I'm ensured a bye in Week 14), so that means I get Bowe back for weeks 15 and 16, which is absolutely huge. The only caveat in the whole matter is whether or note Bowe will be in-game shape and you have to factor in the consequent rust of sitting out a month. Does anyone know if Bowe is allowed to practice with the team?Anyways, Bowe's return for the playoffs will basically make or break my playoff hopes. He can either give my team a much added boost at WR or I'm going to be rolling with Kevin Walter/Robert Meachem/Donnie Avery.
Well did you make the playoffs? If so I'd be interested to see your decision out of these guys you mentioned, my guess is you are debating between Meachem and Bowe. I luckily don't have to worry about Bowe.

I was originally very encouraged by the Chiefs talk about what great shape Bowe kept himself in, but last night I saw a quote (maybe on Rotoworld?) that he's 'behind' because they've made a bunch of changes to their offense while he was out.

I was originally very encouraged by the Chiefs talk about what great shape Bowe kept himself in, but last night I saw a quote (maybe on Rotoworld?) that he's 'behind' because they've made a bunch of changes to their offense while he was out.
Chris Chambers had no prior knowledge of the Chiefs' system, was traded for on a Wednesday, practiced for 3 days, started and led the team in receiving in his first game in red and white.I'm pretty sure Bowe who played in the offense for 10+ weeks will have no problem getting back on the field and producing at home vs. the Cleveland Browns.Just my $0.02.

I read this news also, and am thinking they're just blowing smoke. An offense doesn't change that much in 4 weeks, and it's not like he's a QB or something. He just needs to know routes. In fact this news has made me want to start him over my other (admittedly poor) options: Braylon, Davone, Devin.

I don't want to belabor the point either and I am not a lawyer, just a guy who has been around the block. So, you can parse words if you want but the bottom line is that it isn't in the interest of the NFL to suspend a star player for taking weight loss drugs. Here's how the Kansas City Star reported it: Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe has been suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances." He violated the policy on "performance enhancing substances." If you want to believe that he isn't juicing, so be it. I am skeptical and I think the fact that he didn't fight this in court and the fact that his body looks roided up sort of all adds up.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1575739.html

az_prof said:
I don't want to belabor the point either and I am not a lawyer, just a guy who has been around the block. So, you can parse words if you want but the bottom line is that it isn't in the interest of the NFL to suspend a star player for taking weight loss drugs. Here's how the Kansas City Star reported it: Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe has been suspended four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances." He violated the policy on "performance enhancing substances." If you want to believe that he isn't juicing, so be it. I am skeptical and I think the fact that he didn't fight this in court and the fact that his body looks roided up sort of all adds up.

Wouldn't weight loss drugs be considered "performance enhancing." He didn't get suspended for roids, he got suspended for taking a banned performance enhancing drug, which diuretics are under.

az_prof said:

The policy on performance enhancing drugs is comprehensive, and covers items that themselves are not performance enhancing drugs. Indeed, if you Google

williams smith mcallister "policy on performance enhancing drugs"

You'll see that's the terminology used. Likewise for CB Joselio Hanson.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz...mp;oq=&aqi=

Any recent articles on how Bowe has looked in practice, comments, etc...?

I am rolling with Bowe because he's a big time playmaker, and against Cleveland in good weather....

I would think he has something to prove. He's had a disappointing year. Now he has a decent #2 to occupy the other side of the field.

I am going to be in agony if Roy Williams goes off tonight. I am sitting Roy and Ganther for Bowe. I might reconsider Ganther tommorow.

Any homers have news on Bowe?

Here's the quote...makes me a bit nervous.http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1637739.html

from KansasCity.com

Chiefs buzz | Bowe still getting up to speed

The Chiefs are talking as if Dwayne Bowe, back this week from his four-week NFL suspension, is returning to a different world with regard to the offensive system. Coach Todd Haley made reference this week to getting Bowe acclimated to the new things the Chiefs are doing since his absence began and quarterback Matt Cassel echoed that.

“We’ve changed the offense in so many different ways in the last month or so,” Cassel said. “We continue to build on different aspects of what we’re doing offensively. He’s definitely going to have a learning curve this week.

“We’re a game plan team by design. Each and every week, based on what the defense is doing, we’ll try to exploit that. So when you get the game plan, there’s not a ton of carryover from week to week.

“He’s still trying to get up to speed. We’re doing a lot of different things now from when he left.”

Black said:
Here's the quote...makes me a bit nervous.http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1637739.html

from KansasCity.com

Chiefs buzz | Bowe still getting up to speed

The Chiefs are talking as if Dwayne Bowe, back this week from his four-week NFL suspension, is returning to a different world with regard to the offensive system. Coach Todd Haley made reference this week to getting Bowe acclimated to the new things the Chiefs are doing since his absence began and quarterback Matt Cassel echoed that.

“We’ve changed the offense in so many different ways in the last month or so,” Cassel said. “We continue to build on different aspects of what we’re doing offensively. He’s definitely going to have a learning curve this week.

“We’re a game plan team by design. Each and every week, based on what the defense is doing, we’ll try to exploit that. So when you get the game plan, there’s not a ton of carryover from week to week.

“He’s still trying to get up to speed. We’re doing a lot of different things now from when he left.”
As a game plan team from week to week, wouldn't the entire offense have the same learning curve as Bowe? Too funny!!!I'm starting Bowe with confidence this week. Snatched him up 3 weeks ago. Players returning like this usually give a little something extra. Biggest concern to me is if Cassel and Bowe are a bit out of sync.

I'm leaning heavily towards starting him but can't decide to who bench in his favor. Currently starting Driver & Holmes and see them as having a higher floor than Bowe but him having the higher ceiling. I'm already down 27pts thanks to Miles Austin in playoffs 2nd round so clearly the team I'm against is good and has better matchups than me this week.

For my PPR league, I am looking at starting Bowe v. Cleveland today as well. My other choice is Steve Breaston v. the Lions.

With Fitz playing, I am fairly certain I am going with Bowe.

Cleveland is 26th in receiving defense, Det. is dead last.

Clev. to date has surrendered 243 to Det's 307 receptions.

Clev. to date has given up 18 td receptions to Det. 29.

Clev gives up more pass plays of 20 yards or more, with a slight edge over Det. 46 to 45.

For pass plays of 40 yards or more, Clev. gives up 13 to Det.'s 14.

And yardage, Det. gives up 252 pass yards per game to Det.'s 282.

So clearly, Det. is the weaker of the two, but with Fitz playing, I can't see Breaston getting to much action.

Hence a rested and returning Bowe at home gets the nod. :confused:

I'm leaning heavily towards starting him but can't decide to who bench in his favor. Currently starting Driver & Holmes and see them as having a higher floor than Bowe but him having the higher ceiling. I'm already down 27pts thanks to Miles Austin in playoffs 2nd round so clearly the team I'm against is good and has better matchups than me this week.
Strongly considered butting Bowe in my lineup over Holmes but just couldn't pull the trigger.I'll kick my self either way if my bench guy outperforms my starter, and I'm tempted to go with Bowe (maybe partially because I passed on a big trade offer for him this offseason and want to justify keeping him) but I think the smart play is to go with Holmes or to generalize it, another top 20 WR if you have that option. :lmao:

Edit to add: Wade and Long are inactive and now I'm tempted again... :wall:

CLE DEF is not as easy as they seem. I think the stat I read was 1 WR TD allowed in last 8 games? Between that and all the sacks that KC gives up and the way CLE toyed with PIT last week, I don't see him having alot of long ball chances. I just don't trust him today. I might see a 5 for 60 day.

The other thing is that Bowe has had one 100 yard game this year (with no TD) @WAS week 6. He has had 4 TDs total on the year, and often salvages his 1 catch for 11 yards with 1 TD. I just don't see the upside today. His more typical week is 4 for 50, 30% chance for a TD.

If he gets 100 yards and a TD, great. It will be about time. But, it will be from my bench.

I'm bravely (or innanely... :doh: ) starting Bowe over Greg Jennings this week (I doubt that Rodgers will have enough time to locate Jennings, beset by that ferocious Steelers pass rush). :unsure:

Bowe looked bad in the last game, had 3 drops, and was rusty. Still, I am hoping that he's worked out the rust, and he did have the team high 10 targets. So that's something.

I am rolling with him at WR#3, despite the Bengals strong defense. Kind of a roll of the dice.

Back on my bench for the SB (playing Beanie @ flex instead)

Last week didn't hurt, but it didn't really help either - and that was @ home. The TD drop early in the game was rough.

GL to those rolling w/ him this week.

Either him or Meecham as a WR3 in a championship game.......although Meecham will see half the targets...he has been making the most of what he has been getting.

Tough decision.

Either him or Meecham as a WR3 in a championship game.......although Meecham will see half the targets...he has been making the most of what he has been getting.Tough decision.
Hard choice indeed. It's tough to figure which Saints team will show up. My other flex choice is Mike Bell, and starting him would be like betting the Saints win in a rout. I am not so sure about which Saints team shows up. :lol:

Either him or Meecham as a WR3 in a championship game.......although Meecham will see half the targets...he has been making the most of what he has been getting.Tough decision.
Hard choice indeed. It's tough to figure which Saints team will show up. My other flex choice is Mike Bell, and starting him would be like betting the Saints win in a rout. I am not so sure about which Saints team shows up. :unsure:
I doubt this is a rout. TB just flew across the country and beat SEA. NO will win, but division games don't usually get out of hand.

Going with Bowe over MSW. I don't feel great about either choice but MSW/Garrard have been non-existent on the road.

The warning flag is there on Bowe. I think you really have to be a half glass full type of guy to not see the writing on the wall and now that he has 1 test under his belt there will be more eyes on him which is even worse for a player that might have used steroids to gain a edge. Bowe can now choose to stop(if he is using roids) and from what I have seen of the effects on players I knew that used roids their bodies change pretty dramatically over a course of time. I think there is weight gain and loss of confidence. I also think there is a risk of ligament damage after use. The other view could be with the best that money can buy for support he can overcome roid usage and be okay. I stress that is if he is or has used roids on a constant basis. I'm not saying he did or did not, but if he did I think there is some changes to look for in Bowe. I could see a chance for increase injury risk and possible risk of trouble off the field with the changes.
? He was using roids ?

The warning flag is there on Bowe. I think you really have to be a half glass full type of guy to not see the writing on the wall and now that he has 1 test under his belt there will be more eyes on him which is even worse for a player that might have used steroids to gain a edge.

Bowe can now choose to stop(if he is using roids) and from what I have seen of the effects on players I knew that used roids their bodies change pretty dramatically over a course of time. I think there is weight gain and loss of confidence. I also think there is a risk of ligament damage after use.

The other view could be with the best that money can buy for support he can overcome roid usage and be okay. I stress that is if he is or has used roids on a constant basis. I'm not saying he did or did not, but if he did I think there is some changes to look for in Bowe. I could see a chance for increase injury risk and possible risk of trouble off the field with the changes.
? He was using roids ?
thought it was a diuretic to keep his weight down. Pretty sure it was not roids. If it was, I never saw it reported anywhere.

The warning flag is there on Bowe. I think you really have to be a half glass full type of guy to not see the writing on the wall and now that he has 1 test under his belt there will be more eyes on him which is even worse for a player that might have used steroids to gain a edge.

Bowe can now choose to stop(if he is using roids) and from what I have seen of the effects on players I knew that used roids their bodies change pretty dramatically over a course of time. I think there is weight gain and loss of confidence. I also think there is a risk of ligament damage after use.

The other view could be with the best that money can buy for support he can overcome roid usage and be okay. I stress that is if he is or has used roids on a constant basis. I'm not saying he did or did not, but if he did I think there is some changes to look for in Bowe. I could see a chance for increase injury risk and possible risk of trouble off the field with the changes.
? He was using roids ?
thought it was a diuretic to keep his weight down. Pretty sure it was not roids. If it was, I never saw it reported anywhere.
IMO it was a diuretic to keep his weight down - I've never heard otherwise from a legit news source. He's had weight problems. Diuretics can be used to help mask steroids so people got out the Jump to Conclusions Mat and inferred steroid use.

? He was using roids ?
The reason it is banned, it's used as a roid mask. It's treated as a test postive. Does Bowe look like he needs to be on a diet??
Yes, considering he reported to camp overweight and was told to lose it.

I have a tough decision this week replacing Wayne in my lineup. Bowe, Housh or J Morgan.

I'm rolling with Bowe because Cincy has allowed:

Week 15 - 5/108 and 2 TDs to V Jackson

Week 14 - Sidney Rice 4/39 and 1 TD

Week 13 - Calvin Johnson 6/123 and 1 TD

I really like Bowe's chances to score this week.

I have a tough decision this week replacing Wayne in my lineup. Bowe, Housh or J Morgan.I'm rolling with Bowe because Cincy has allowed:Week 15 - 5/108 and 2 TDs to V JacksonWeek 14 - Sidney Rice 4/39 and 1 TDWeek 13 - Calvin Johnson 6/123 and 1 TDI really like Bowe's chances to score this week.
I dropped Housh to pick up Bowe.That shows you what I think.

This.

News Articles > Bowe shakes off rust Published Sat Dec 26 5:56:00 p.m. ET 2009

(Rotoworld) Chiefs beat writer Josh Looney expects the rust Dwayne Bowe showed last week to be behind him.

Analysis: Bowe was targeted 10 times in his first game off the four-week suspension, but only came up with four catches and dropped a would-be touchdown. Looney liked Bowe's speed and performance in the game and we consider Bowe a solid WR3 play this week.

Chris Chambers has been on a bit of a tear since he was acquired by the Chiefs (70 or more yards in 5 of 7 games I believe with 3 or more TDs).

Would you fellow Bowe owners start Chambers over him if you had both? That's the situation I'm in now. Good luck to all Super Bowl participants today!

Chris Chambers has been on a bit of a tear since he was acquired by the Chiefs (70 or more yards in 5 of 7 games I believe with 3 or more TDs).Would you fellow Bowe owners start Chambers over him if you had both? That's the situation I'm in now. Good luck to all Super Bowl participants today!
I am starting Bowe this week and I'm matched up with the Chambers owner who is also starting him. I consider myself to be at a slight disadvantage. Crossing my fingers. It will be an interesting day. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread